lunatik20

Player housing SA

Base building is said to be down the road, I'd imagine around 'beta' stage... I would be very happy with tents, or some kind of storage (although I would imagine, tents will be wiped more often than player toon data once implemented)... being alpher and all.

It would have to be very limited to a single storage box or something. Origins was simply a hoarding simulator: Find a bunch of stuff you'll never use, keep it locked away, cry when your house is invaded, never play Origins again.

• Like 3

We need player housing for SA

Yes, yes!!!1!! We'll built new civilization! We will raise children in our beautiful houses with a garage. We'll feed them beans! :lol:

>:(

hoarding

exactly. It's not about survival. :thumbsup:

Edited by Zyryanoff

They made enterable buildings. Pick a house and plant your flag. Trespassers will be shot on sight.

Once traps will be in game this can be done...still need some thing to store things in.

Even if they will be wiped every two weeks!

Edited by TankyWanky
  • Like 1

I want to speak a little further about the hoarding simulator accusation, and why Origins basically gave people a free pass to act like they're playing Call of Duty.

DayZ is a survival simulator that excels at putting people in hairy social situations with real consequences. When you meet someone or happen upon another's existence, you have a series of choices akin to a risk vs. reward decision found in stock markets and criminal minds alike. There is something you want, and your brain has a natural risk/reward formula to decide if that action is idiotic or not. For example, approaching 1 person carrying around a pistol and trying to steal their food is much less risky than approaching four well-geared people in a well-organized formation. The four people have more food, but attacking them has much more risk involved. The key there is the risk, because everything you do has a certain amount of risk involved. Going in to town to find food has risk. Building a camp at Green Mountain has a little more risk. Hanging out at the NW airfield has even more risk.

Origins Mod was invented by people who didn't understand that factoring in risk was an inherent part of this game, and they removed a lot of risk for a lot of players, which also naturally removed the reward. You could find a server, farm for gear, food, and other loot, and store it away in one of your many houses. Much of this loot was never seen again, because you simply had too much of it. For example, let's say you stored wheels for vehicles in case you needed to repair one quickly. Well, you couldn't carry around all 4 wheels, plus engines, fuel parts, and scrap metal, so it simply became easier to go to a construction site or other industrial, find a nearby car, and farm the parts for it on site. Those other parts you stored away were never used, and they just sat there doing nothing... Except, they did do something. They reduced (and in some cases, simply removed) the risk factor involved in your decision making. It was like this for weapons. You started brand new on a server, found a shotgun or Enfield, and were extremely happy just surviving. When you built a house, however, you started storing weapons for the next time you'd die. Next thing you know, you've got 20 DMRs, 20 M16 ACOGs, and a dozen Mk48s stored away with hundreds of magazine, and you were always fully armed. This along with the hundred or so cans of food and a dozen NVGs.... Good to go, right?

Not really, because everyone else was doing the exact same thing. Everyone had military weapons. Everyone had a DMR, M16 or Mk48. Origins turned the game from a zombie survival game in to a military simulator, where everyone had the best weapons. The zombies ultimately meant nothing, and were a simple nuisance once you figured out how and when they spawn.

I know this is getting long now, but it's important to stress the failure of Origins. My friend and I ran a popular server at the height of Origins, and the negative points I'm talking about here meant people played for a few weeks, enjoyed their time hoarding weapons, ammo, and food, and then simply quit because there was nothing else to do. The only people who stuck around were the bandits who really should have been playing a military simulator in the first place. At the end of the day, the main downfall with Origins was the housing, because being able to store everything you needed removed the risk, gave you a free pass to die as many times as you needed without consequence (like CoD) because you could simply run home and re-gear, and ultimately removed the reason to play this game in the first place.

Edited by ZMV
  • Like 2

Origins base building is god fucking awful. If there is a system in place I would imagine it would be similar to epoch's base building. 

Yes, yes!!!1!! We'll built new civilization! We will raise children in our beautiful houses with a garage. We'll feed them beans! :lol:

> :(

exactly. It's not about survival. :thumbsup:

Its entirely about survival, its just used by some to turtle up but even then they are surviving so technically they are still in the right. Survival can't just be about what you decide it is, its how the people use the features in the game to survive and play the way they want.

Edited by shamE
  • Like 1

Once traps will be in game this can be done...still need some thing to store things in.

Even if they will be wiped every two weeks!

That reminds me how my pal told me not to leave a banana at the top of the stairs for safety reasons.

Bear traps at the top of stairs will be glorious.

... no instances please

tents and holes (shovel, bury a backpack somewhere?) only plz

and the most widely used trap, would be the empty tin cans on a string, that snipers can set up between bushes or doorways or whatever, to alert them of inc.

jussayin... yer not gonna find a shitload of bear traps laying around... but some empty tin cans and string/rope... np

there are many number of nights in the mod that i spent sniping, dropping a lot of empty tin cans at my feet, wishing i could make such a trap...

Edited by Lowbi

and the most widely used trap, would be the empty tin cans on a string, that snipers can set up between bushes or doorways or whatever, to alert them of inc.

jussayin... yer not gonna find a shitload of bear traps laying around... but some empty tin cans and string/rope... np

Well it was a joke, but bear traps were in the mod and were used to break legs so I assume they'll make their way here at some point. If not, oh well.

Well it was a joke, but bear traps were in the mod and were used to break legs so I assume they'll make their way here at some point. If not, oh well.

i know... but they didnt work most of the time i used them, and they never worked indoors. tho it has been many months since i played the mod.

Hide in a house out in the country. Wait for barricades to come.

Lock the doors in your room turn off the pc,equip a hammer and wait for full release. XD

• Like 1

i know... but they didnt work most of the time i used them, and they never worked indoors. tho it has been many months since i played the mod.

This is a new age. An age where bear traps will work in buildings. A miracle in the works.

Try placing one at the bottom of a ladder, preferably an air control tower ladder, and rest knowing some chump, likely a bandit, was crippled.

I have no idea how they did it in the 'follow up' mods of DayZ (I only played the original mod and now SA), but I'll give my input on the subject regardless:

- Instead of players being able to plot down houses on the map I'd rather see mechanics for fortification of existing buildings and rooms with different degrees of another player being able to break-in (e.g. a boarded up door with a couple of planks and nails is just going to take a couple of axe swings, but a pristine lock (which should be extremely rare) would take a pristine lockpick (also pretty rare) and some luck).

- Have the cupboards and closets act as storage units (which can also be made a bit extra secure by attaching handcuffs or padlocks, which again can be picked by varying degrees of lockpick (e.g. pristine handcuff can be picked by a worn lockpick and for worn handcuffs a damaged lockpick might suffice) or you could use a screwdriver and have a chance of slipping and cutting yourself or use your axe and probably damage quite a bit of the loot.

- This game has: firestations, supermarkets, policestations, trainstations, cafes, hotels.... but where are the banks? I would love to see some bank themed buildings, perhaps they could be fortified and the safety storage boxes / vaults restored so a clan could run a legit bank and keep people's excessive/prized gear safe. Maybe make it so that the only way to open a security box is with the corresponding key (effectively making your shit in the storage box safe from anyone until you log back in again and risk the chance of losing the key). So this would be the most secure way to store some extra stuff, but the risk is that it's at fixed locations on the map (the banks) so it's most likely going to be a bandit hotspot.

- The main thing I think that should be prevented with any type of housing/storage is that it should be bound to your current life. I admit, I've been rolling with a clan in the mod and we've hoarded shit like crazy

ArgmS2S.png

and that's exactly why I think that should be the case. Hoarding and getting almost instantly reequipped after death takes away from the game, every new life should be hard as shit again (not stating that that's currently the case). It might not be 100% realistic (but neither is your new guy exactly knowing the location of a tent of a recently deseased person), but when an owner of a tent or idle car (a car that hasn't been driven by the owner for some time (the owner being just the last guy driving it)) dies they should despawn as well.

Anyway my 2 cents on housing.

edit: also laying traps around would be quite nice, making any aspirant burglar extra weary when a door doesn't swing open when he tries to (besides the bear traps from the mod I'm also thinking rigged shotguns triggered by tripwire (maybe that would be too easy to troll people with..))

Edited by JoostVoordeel

I have no idea how they did it in the 'follow up' mods of DayZ (I only played the original mod and now SA), but I'll give my input on the subject regardless:

- Instead of players being able to plot down houses on the map I'd rather see mechanics for fortification of existing buildings and rooms with different degrees of another player being able to break-in (e.g. a boarded up door with a couple of planks and nails is just going to take a couple of axe swings, but a pristine lock (which should be extremely rare) would take a pristine lockpick (also pretty rare) and some luck).

- Have the cupboards and closets act as storage units (which can also be made a bit extra secure by attaching handcuffs or padlocks, which again can be picked by varying degrees of lockpick (e.g. pristine handcuff can be picked by a worn lockpick and for worn handcuffs a damaged lockpick might suffice) or you could use a screwdriver and have a chance of slipping and cutting yourself or use your axe and probably damage quite a bit of the loot.

- This game has: firestations, supermarkets, policestations, trainstations, cafes, hotels.... but where are the banks? I would love to see some bank themed buildings, perhaps they could be fortified and the safety storage boxes / vaults restored so a clan could run a legit bank and keep people's excessive/prized gear safe. Maybe make it so that the only way to open a security box is with the corresponding key (effectively making your shit in the storage box safe from anyone until you log back in again and risk the chance of losing the key). So this would be the most secure way to store some extra stuff, but the risk is that it's at fixed locations on the map (the banks) so it's most likely going to be a bandit hotspot.

- The main thing I think that should be prevented with any type of housing/storage is that it should be bound to your current life. I admit, I've been rolling with a clan in the mod and we've hoarded shit like crazy

and that's exactly why I think that should be the case. Hoarding and getting almost instantly reequipped after death takes away from the game, every new life should be hard as shit again (not stating that that's currently the case). It might not be 100% realistic (but neither is your new guy exactly knowing the location of a tent of a recently deseased person), but when an owner of a tent or idle car (a car that hasn't been driven by the owner for some time (the owner being just the last guy driving it)) dies they should despawn as well.

Anyway my 2 cents on housing.

edit: also laying traps around would be quite nice, making any aspirant burglar extra weary when a door doesn't swing open when he tries to (besides the bear traps from the mod I'm also thinking rigged shotguns triggered by tripwire (maybe that would be too easy to troll people with..))

To me I see base building as one of the end game goals for a group. You cant have the same repetitive gameplay constantly. Think about it, in a real scenario some people are going to try to settle down somewhere and live. I agree origins did it horribly but I think epoch did a somewhat decent job for people wanting to build a base. I think the best system would be having to find and make materials some of which would be really rare (locks, cement mixers, ect.).

People can use those materials to build a base or house that they desire but it wouldn't be invincible, for example, if someone builds a base thats primarily made out of wood there could be a way to use matches and sticks to craft torches which they could use to set fire to parts of the base. I don't know I just enjoy having a goal outside of grinding for gear then getting killed and that being the only thing you can do, It gets boring.

Edited by shamE

Nothing should ever despawn if a player dies. If I die in real life, my car still exists.

were will players get the materials for building houses? I would much rather have dean hall do it his way instrad of the easy mode origins or epoch/ all those mods methods.

If You use wood, I should be able to burn the house down. If you use something that can't stop a car then that's great too.

Edited by ProGamerGov

But please no stupid MMO base building or house crap, let's try to keep it realistic.

Stuff should never disappear on death. My house and my car don't disappear in real life if I die, so they shouldn't do so in game.

Why build a big evident house? People will break it and rob it. Store things in a hole.

Edited by ProGamerGov

At the end of the day, the main downfall with Origins was the housing, because being able to store everything you needed removed the risk, gave you a free pass to die as many times as you needed without consequence (like CoD) because you could simply run home and re-gear, and ultimately removed the reason to play this game in the first place.

but that can be easily avoided by removing a player's stash from the database as soon as that character dies. you hoard as much as you want as long as you can stay alive, but when you die, your stash dies with you.

They are going to add building but it would be kinda shitty if it was so preset like origins

But please no stupid MMO base building or house crap, let's try to keep it realistic.

Stuff should never disappear on death. My house and my car don't disappear in real life if I die, so they shouldn't do so in game.

Why build a big evident house? People will break it and rob it. Store things in a hole.

Holes, Stashes all kinds of hiding places would be great, I completely agree with you.

You say that you don't lose your car IRL if you die except you do beacuse IRL you can't use it again bacause you're dead so it's lost for you anyway. In the game you just respawn on the coast and run straight to your house\car\base. Considering this I guess that stashes of any kind only and no base building would be a reasonable conventionality.

Or you base should decay over time and after your death it should happen even faster if you won't be there in time with required materials to make repairs.

Of course I'm just speculating. But the main idea is there should be a danger to your base or house or even stash if your character dies otherwise the game will become a hoarding simulator again as I take it from the words of people who played Origins and Epoch.

If I seat and think over this Idea I think I can offer more circumstantial concept. But again it would be only my speculations, I realize that. But I found it satisfying enough to think that dev team might notice our ideas one day and make something interesting of it.

Edited by Betweenaduck

but that can be easily avoided by removing a player's stash from the database as soon as that character dies. you hoard as much as you want as long as you can stay alive, but when you die, your stash dies with you.

The main problem here I see is you're just offering a way for people to escape the realities of DayZ danger by being able to store and keep as much food as possible in a secret location. You could get on an empty server, farm food to your heart's content, and then never starve. That's not DayZ, that's a camping simulator. There's a fun game called The Hunter you should try, wherein you can basically sit in the woods and watch the wildlife if that's all you really want to do, and it's free to play.

DayZ is (and should be) about making choices. Do I carry a fourth 30-round magazine, or do I carry two cans of food? Do I keep three canteens on me, or two canteens and a packet of water purification tablets? If I have a second med kit, can I organize my bandages to save space? These are all decisions, and are part of that risk/reward formula I spoke of on page 1. It's an exercise in decision making, and makes this game interesting, difficult, and fun.

Did you ever play WoW? I'll assume so, for the purposes of my example. They kept adding bank space to characters and guilds because people kept running out of space. For a few gold you could add more spaces or more tabs, and collect gear all day. This kept people around for a while, as a lot of players simply wanted to collect sets, especially from the holiday events. Tuxedos, Brewfest, Christmas, and many more, they all had their own costumes, right? Well, all WoW did was remove the choices you had to make, and simply gave you more space to keep all your items hanging out. Once you had something, it was yours for as long as you wanted it. But what do you do when you collect everything? Stare at it?

This is inherently why people continue to play DayZ: You lose your stuff and get to start over, and I think a lot of people (myself included) love to start over. It's fun being a new spawn, finding your first can of sardines, your first yellow raincoat, a pile of magnum rounds, and maybe (if you're REALLY lucky) a can opener. You have that sense of accomplishment, of progression, of growth. The love for the game is back!

Back when I played Origins Mod, I purposely went out a few times, killed myself, and started over in the town furthest away from my house. My mission was to walk home and survive the whole way, stopping at towns to find food, ammo, and medicine. It made the game fun again, because I didn't just gear up my crap and hunt noobs, only to have them rage and never come back. Contrary to popular belief, there actually is a finite number of noobs, and when they all quit the game, it's yet another reason to go play something else.

Any storage, even temporary storage is a bad idea. Knowing everything you've learned thus far in this long ass response, I think it can best be summed up as this: You're grasping at straws and trying to find a reason to play the game just a few minutes longer. All a storage box is going to do is to give you a reason to farm out 6 or 8 more cans of food just like WoW convinced a lot of burned out players to stay online for holiday rewards, but at the end of the day your purpose for playing the game is empty. You can fill your temporary box just like you could fill your WoW bank or your Origins Mod house, but you can't fill that empty space left behind from when you once enjoyed this game because it was freakin' dangerous. A temporary storage box will reduce the risk/reward formula and the decision making process (i.e., "I can carry six magazines now, and when I get hungry I can just walk back to camp and fill my stomach"), and make this game a whole lot less dangerous and fun.

For now buy another copy of the game to act as a bank, I have 3 accounts and when base building comes I guess they will be my up breakable vaults in my base.

Edited by Desryachri