Sign in to follow this  
TimM1983

Scumbag or dumb ?

Biggest problem with douchbags is that it makes it so much harder for friendly players to actualy help when they want to. Kos may rely on skill/luck, but deception forces both parties to discount in morality. Both the willing and the unwilling... We have the pen, the paper and the rope. Perhaps we should introduce the hanging too, with a nice notification tag... Yes I am sure people are going to abuse this too...

There is a difference between fooling someone to gain an advantage, and herding fresh spawns to kill them with axes. The former is PvP, the latter is just pure griefing which is present in some form in all online games.

Sorry, no. There's not. "Fresh spawns" are not special. They're people too, and entirely capable of deciding whether or not to trust someone. If they are indeed a completely new player, then what better lesson to learn than "be careful who you trust?" It's the perfect introduction to DayZ. Dean makes no distinction between "fresh spawns" and other players. If Dean wanted to protect fresh spawns, he could have. The whole reason fresh spawns start practically naked is because he wants people in DayZ to feel scared, vulnerable and uncomfortable. And realizing there are people willing to lie to you just for the fun of planting an axe in the back of your head is just the sort of discomfort he welcomes.

If you think this is "griefing," then, again, I submit that DayZ may not be the game for you. This is not griefing; it's just playing DayZ.

Biggest problem with douchbags is that it makes it so much harder for friendly players to actualy help when they want to.

No. That is the biggest benefit of "douchebags." They make it difficult to be good, which means that being good is actually something to be proud of. If all it took to be good was running up to random assholes and dropping beans on the ground, why would it be impressive at all? "Ooo, I'm a big Hero! Look at me using my mouse to drag a picture of a can of beans 6 inches across the screen! Worship me in all my goodness!"

The only reason being good is noteworthy is that so many people are evil scumbags. You should be thanking the douchebags for making your life worthwhile. 

• Like 1

Sorry, no. There's not. "Fresh spawns" are not special. They're people too, and entirely capable of deciding whether or not to trust someone. If they are indeed a completely new player, then what better lesson to learn than "be careful who you trust?" It's the perfect introduction to DayZ. Dean makes no distinction between "fresh spawns" and other players. If Dean wanted to protect fresh spawns, he could have. The whole reason fresh spawns start practically naked is because he wants people in DayZ to feel scared, vulnerable and uncomfortable. And realizing there are people willing to lie to you just for the fun of planting an axe in the back of your head is just the sort of discomfort he welcomes.

If you think this is "griefing," then, again, I submit that DayZ may not be the game for you. This is not griefing; it's just playing DayZ.

No, it absolutely is griefing, due to the very simple fact that these players are taking advantage of unrealistic game mechanics (ie. limited spawn areas; fresh spawns are always unarmed) in order to force players into submission and annoy them. It's certainly not PvP when your intent is clearly just to rile people up and waste their time.

If this group were acting inland, an argument could be made that they are just roleplaying as a band of sociopaths, and I could totally condone such a thing. But to do it on the coast tells me that their chief primary interest is in ruining players' experience.

Edited by aj_
  • Like 1

No, it absolutely is griefing, due to the very simple fact that these players are taking advantage of unrealistic game mechanics (ie. limited spawn areas; fresh spawns are always unarmed) in order to force players into submission and annoy them. It's certainly not PvP when your intent is clearly just to rile people up and waste their time.

We will agree to disagree. Mostly because you're wrong. It's not "griefing" and if Dean didn't want these mechanics to be taken advantage of, he would just change them. The whole reason fresh spawns start the way they do is to make them vulnerable to this kind of behavior.

If this group were acting inland, an argument could be made that they are just roleplaying as a band of sociopaths, and I could totally condone such a thing.

Count me among the people who are very glad that we don't have to give a single flying fuck what people like you choose to "condone."

their chief primary interest is in ruining players' experience.

I hate that I have to keep saying this, but if being treated poorly by strangers "ruins" your experience, then DayZ. Is. Not. The. Game. For. You.

Hahahah we use this tactic, but as an insurance policy. 1 of us (usually me lol) runs on the road with normal looking gear and an axe.....while my friends follow me about 200m into the trees with rifles. That way when we meet someone i can be confident to just wave and see if they are friendly. If they are at least 1 of the tree dwellers will show themselfs.....this will spring a trap if thats what it is....but always 1 is concealed for cover. 

Dirty bandits using it as bait....tut tut :P

We will agree to disagree. Mostly because you're wrong. It's not "griefing" and if Dean didn't want these mechanics to be taken advantage of, he would just change them. The whole reason fresh spawns start the way they do is to make them vulnerable to this kind of behavior.

In other words, you have no counter-argument and I should just take your word that I'm wrong. Also, by your rationale, combat logging is working as intended. And you have no proof for your last statement.

Count me among the people who are very glad that we don't have to give a single flying fuck what people like you choose to "condone."

Don't be angry that you can't counter my argument.

I hate that I have to keep saying this, but if being treated poorly by strangers "ruins" your experience, then DayZ. Is. Not. The. Game. For. You.

I have no problem with strangers treating me poorly (ie. a traitor). I have a problem with strangers taking advantage of unrealistic game mechanics specifically for the purpose of treating me poorly (spawn camping). The former is interesting and unique gameplay, the latter is dull and exists in most other games.

• Like 1

You're dumb, if you refuse to learn from this experience.

Just because you want to be friendly doesn't mean, everyone else is. Just because you really want to make a good impression, doesn't mean you shouldn't always keep your guards up, both when it comes to "bambies" who outplays you and other people. If you want to make friends too much, you become blind to the always present threats in DayZ.

You can't be friendly, if you're dead.

Edited by Dallas

-ZDB- u got a point in my part of your answer. It does make it more impressive. Now let's find someone to impress :)

If you play nice you do tend to get killed from time to time , but you also get some genuine good experinces from it. For exampel a dudde attacked me out of the blue  i managed to knok him out. Put on some handcufs and said , this is what happens when you try stupid bandit shit. Then i left him handcufed after i bandaged him.

• Like 1

@ZedsDeadBaby

I have the strong feeling that You clearly belong into another game.

I know what kind of players I get confrontet in DayZ, I'm not naive.

I know how to play the Game, I also know that, what Azmjs and his mates are doing (and you are defending so hard) is neither smart, nor clever, it's just douchebaggery for people with low self esteem, and only other douches will jump in on this topic to defend such a "trust destroying" playstyle.

Don't get me wrong here, DayZ would not provide that immersion it currently does, when there were no bandits around, but people playing the "friendly" cart, only to fall into the guys back are playing the game completely wrong in my eyes, but it's okay, everyone is allowed to play the game the way he wants.

If you are a bandit, KoS or use the new handcuffs and then rob the players you encounter, that's what a bandit does (beside many other things), not what Azmjs and his friends are doing.

The only things I have to facepalm really hard about are:

#1.

Bragging in the forums about how cheap these guys got their 26 "kills".

#2.

Defending their playstyle, not noticing what an influence this will have onto other players, especially new ones.

But I guess, it's just the problem of the mod being so popular and gaining too much attention from the wrong people.

And the SA will attract mostly the same people, that also played the mod before, so there will not be a big difference in the playerbase between Mod and SA.

Just because you support such a destructive playstyle, does not mean people that do not agree have to move away from the game.

We all know that there are already too much players with the KOS/DM and "playing-false-friendly" mentality in the game (because of missing end game and many other reasons).

But instead of defending it, we should focusing on building up a larger base of "better" players (better in terms of not using douche tactics and not killing on sight if not necessary/no threat around) to counter all those douches and "I wanna make frags herpderp" players that seem to become more and more every day, without any "help" from others (I woul have liked to say here: The idiots come from alone, we don't have to care about getting them into the game).

We are the comunity, we can make the difference.

And just to say, my group did make a difference by saving a freshspawn, that got hunted by zombies and fell unconcious while bleeding out yesterday.

We bandaged him, gave him a SALINE-IV, geared him up etc.

The feeling we got after doing this was great, something you will never experience if you play the "bad" way, and it gives you a higher "personal reward" than killing some unarmed players while fully geared and clearly outnumbering them.

The fact is: Being a douche in DayZ required no skill (especially when playing in a group), but knowing who you can trust and help the right people, clearly does.

So bragging in this forum about playing a "no skill needed" playstyle and/or supporting this kind of stupid attitude, makes you someone I can only laugh about, maybe you should search another game you actually can play, because it seems that you are only able to "score" (on a low level btw.) in DayZ by using cheap tactics.

You're not smart, you're the exact opposite of it, but if you have fun being so, then continue this way because nobody forces you to become clever (as a person in general).

Have a nice day.

Edited by KiloSwiss
  • Like 2

We actively search out fresh spawns in the areas we occupy. We tell them we are friendly and that we have food and water for them, and why wouldn't they believe us? If 4-5 armed guys in camo wanted to KOS them, they'd already be dead. 

We take them back to our water well and tell them how to drink, and that sometimes the water has an infection so we need to give them some disinfectant. 

Sometimes we just axe them to death when they bend down to drink.

If we don't axe them, we try to keep them around by telling them stories, and about how the medicine should be working now. When they start vomiting we axe them or shoot them. We got 26 people today. 

If anyone doesn't come along, they get shot right away.

So wait, you basically take a bambi that is no threat whatsoever and instead of just KOSing them you actively lie to them and poison them. Yea you guys have some serious issues. Because really it isn't funny and all you're doing is teaching new players to KOS period. Pathetic.

Yes, I'm a bandit. No I don't KOS. No I don't kill bambies. And yes, I like a challenge so live in the north looking for people to kill/rob at the airfields. Atleast then I know they can fight back and aren't new to the game.

• Like 1

Big discussion here.

I just talked with a bambi, he walks up to me 2 hits in the head and I faded out.

This doesn't mean I shoot bambis, but they can't lose anything, that's the point. I am still in the situation where I have to decide if I shoot everyone in the future or not.