ProGamerGov

Realism and Weapons [Balanced or Realistic?]

Realistic or arcade weapons?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want weapons to be realistic?

• Yes! Realistic weapons would be awesome.
    • No! I want balanced weapons.
    • other (Please specify)
    • Some weapons only.
    • To a certain extent (Please specify)
  2. 2. Do you consider Dayz a survival simulator?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • It has lots of simulator aspects.
    • It has very few simulator aspects.
  3. 3. Realism or Gameplay?

• Realism over Gameplay
    • Gameplay over Realism
    • It depends on what (Please specify)

If they really wanted real, all guns would basically be one shot kills. And if you didn't die from the first shot, you would fall to the ground and not be able to function due to the pain.

If they really wanted real, all guns would basically be one shot kills. And if you didn't die from the first shot, you would fall to the ground and not be able to function due to the pain.

I have no problem with this. Most of the time in Arma 2, Arma 1 (With noob armour off) and way back in Flashpoint 1 shot to the body killed most of the time.

sounds good to me. make it real, more fun

Replace M4s with an AK?

Its more Russian 

Replace M4s with an AK?

Its more Russian 

i don't know much about guns but all hear AK are more robust, so maybe they will add them when gun lockup are in game. i remember before alpha, Dayz team taking about cleaning guns, AK would be best for maintenance

:facepalm:

Pointless poll is pointless.

just wanna say, this is one of the best polls. the numbers are giving use a good idea of what people want, over the noisy Multi Killers posting in each thread with ' not this again'

Edited by Sooden

My take on the gunplay being realistic is. If you do want to simulate a realistic take on person not having shot things before, I want to bloody have option to adjust my sights then and have the aim move if under heavy breath or such. Not have some artificial random dice rolling in my shots where they will fly off to when aiming down the sights.

• Like 1

My take on the gunplay being realistic is. If you do want to simulate a realistic take on person not having shot things before, I want to bloody have option to adjust my sights then and have the aim move if under heavy breath or such. Not have some artificial random dice rolling in my shots where they will fly off to when aiming down the sights.

good point.

also they should make hellichopper complicated control wise to match up to RL and even cars with gears and peddle buttons, sure this means i wont know how to use them, if i wanna, i will have to learn, or have to team up with some that can. its to simple to have it all on a plate. image if only a few good player could fly a chopper?

People would each have there own skill set not based on levelling up but the ability to use a simulated function

i know the deathmathers will hate what i  said, good :P

some people want instant acces to all the game, they dont like the idea of something they my fail to unlock/use

In reference to the discussion we were having about hitting a target at 100m with a pistol:

And here's a guy firing a 1911 at 230 yards and hitting a gong.

In what context would this be a regular inexperienced guy surviving like the characters in dayz.

The man has a freaking shooting range in his backyard. Simple fact of the matter is the average person cant hit a man sized target at 25 meters much less at 100m+.

Something that always bugged me in the Day Z mod was the abundance of helicopters, vehicles, auto-fuel, crazy loot tables, and etc.

I think that Day Z should try its best to be realistic about the weapons that are available in game while at the same time keeping them a bit balanced. I think players that are willing to take risks to grab better loot should be rewarded. Which to some extent has been accomplished with high-traffic military bases containing the best loot.

To me .50 cal snipers and fully armed helicopters are a bit absurd. Of course I would expect sniper rifles, assault rifles, shotguns, and pistols to be lying about. But seriously... a helicopter? What type of percentage of people know how to pilot a helicopter?

Please specify:

1) Weapons should be realistic, and carebears that want "a chance to turn around and retaliate" should be ignored. The game should indeed stick to the ARMA style of depth, with a lot of real-life knowledge being a plus. Just like knowing how to read the stars is atm. Eating and drinking should be made more realistic too, having to eat only once every 4 hours or so, and food should be a LOT more rare. Stamina and walking instead of running would be very good for hardcore servers, too. However, a bit of freedom regarding weapon attachments and car crafting should be allowed.

2) Realism or gameplay: I want military loot, not 8 types of 9mm pistols and 10 shotguns and hunting rifles like those walking dead fanboys. So yes, realism please (and IMHO this is actually also a plus towards gameplay). Make the game as deep as possible, as realistic as possible. Casuals should not be able to jump and and keep up with a veteran. It should take him weeks.

Realism = Gameplay (for me)

Edited by Ratiasu

2) Realism or gameplay: I want military loot, not 8 types of 9mm pistols and 10 shotguns and hunting rifles like those walking dead fanboys. So yes, realism please (and IMHO this is actually also a plus towards gameplay). Make the game as deep as possible, as realistic as possible. Casuals should not be able to jump and and keep up with a veteran. It should take him weeks.

Realism = Gameplay (for me)

If you want realism then you dont want military loot. It wouldnt make sense for there to be fn scars, acrs, m107s , and all the other exotic western weapons in a ex soviet bloc country.

• Like 1

If you want realism then you dont want military loot. It wouldnt make sense for there to be fn scars, acrs, m107s , and all the other exotic western weapons in a ex soviet bloc country.

i agree with the weapons, more native guns

added:

maybe some vintage collectibles - tommy gun :P (that can hit ****)

Edited by Sooden

I don't care much about die-hard realism as long as my bullets don't spray everywhere (like it currently is). Would be great if the aiming system was completely replaced too.

Anyone who says the negative accel is to simulate the weight of the weapon is full of shit. It isn't affected by what weapon you have and it penalizes low sensitivity players far more harshly. You can turn up your sensitivity and do several 360s a second. 

Sound is a half of surviving process, and when i hear current shooting claps, my ears is rotting. If someone hear shots from "Underhell" mod (hl2), you know what i mean ;) 

Just gotta say I find the polls kinda funny

According to this poll, which has 168 votes, 90% of people want realistic instead of balanced weapons.

But according to THIS one with 133 votes, about half of the players want Desert Eagles.

:lol:

Realism over game play? Who would ever choose that, real life isn't a fun game. 

I was extremely disappointment how easy it was to walk around and maneuver with the Mosin while looking through the scope.

Edited by Thane

Realism over game play? Who would ever choose that, real life isn't a fun game. 

This is one of the few cases where more realism is indeed more fun.

Realism just adds to the dayz experience it adds logic and common sense to the game itself.

DayZ should stick to its ARMA roots or it isn't DayZ anymore.

What does that mean? ARMA isn't that realistic, that's why you have mods like ACE that change a lot of the internal mechanics to make them a lot more realistic. Furthermore, DayZ already makes some pretty extensive changes to the core ARMA mechanics that make it less realistic, the most important one being the fact that a survivor in DayZ has 2.5 times more 'blood' than a soldier in ARMA, ARMA soldiers have 4.5k blood which means that they go down to 2 STANAG rounds to the chest, DayZ survivor take 4 STANAG round to the chest and two 7.62 rounds, so already DayZ survivors are pretty much supermen compared to the internal realism of the ARMA engine.

A few more interesting things, in DayZ/ARMA the weapon you're using itself has no importance other than the scopes/sights it has equipped, damage/range/recoil in DayZ are all dependent on the type of ammunition you're firing, so all STANAG shooters are completely identical in every way, that is of course not realistic as the weapon itself makes considerable difference in real life.

For me there is no dichotomy between realism and balance the way the OP presents it, one way to make sniper rifles more 'balanced' would be to add wind and Coriolis effects to bullet travel, I'd like to see all the DMR pro-snipers from the DayZ mod who relied on the built in rangefinder try to lend shots when wind and Coriolis are in play, it would make being a sniper a skill that requires more than a rifle with a scope.

For what it's worse I do agree that weapon performance in DayZ should be realistic rather than 'video gamey' cause that's what the game is about, the way weapons in Standalone feel right now is a bit disappointing, the M4's spread is inexcusable.

What does that mean? ARMA isn't that realistic, that's why you have mods like ACE that change a lot of the internal mechanics to make them a lot more realistic. Furthermore, DayZ already makes some pretty extensive changes to the core ARMA mechanics that make it less realistic, the most important one being the fact that a survivor in DayZ has 2.5 times more 'blood' than a soldier in ARMA, ARMA soldiers have 4.5k blood which means that they go down to 2 STANAG rounds to the chest, DayZ survivor take 4 STANAG round to the chest and two 7.62 rounds, so already DayZ survivors are pretty much supermen compared to the internal realism of the ARMA engine.

A few more interesting things, in DayZ/ARMA the weapon you're using itself has no importance other than the scopes/sights it has equipped, damage/range/recoil in DayZ are all dependent on the type of ammunition you're firing, so all STANAG shooters are completely identical in every way, that is of course not realistic as the weapon itself makes considerable difference in real life.

For me there is no dichotomy between realism and balance the way the OP presents it, one way to make sniper rifles more 'balanced' would be to add wind and Coriolis effects to bullet travel, I'd like to see all the DMR pro-snipers from the DayZ mod who relied on the built in rangefinder try to lend shots when wind and Coriolis are in play, it would make being a sniper a skill that requires more than a rifle with a scope.

For what it's worse I do agree that weapon performance in DayZ should be realistic rather than 'video gamey' cause that's what the game is about, the way weapons in Standalone feel right now is a bit disappointing, the M4's spread is inexcusable.

Thank god we do too cause arma 2 is unplayable for me without ace.

The Coriolis effect won't make any appreciable difference, not worth putting it in, we don't have artillery or 1,500-2,000 meter shots in DayZ.

There's no point putting figety things in when the basics aren't correct, we don't even have anywhere near proper ballistics, or the means to approximate them, and people want to add things like the influence of humidity, or the earth's rotation before the basics are somewhat correct?

The Coriolis effect won't make any appreciable difference, not worth putting it in, we don't have artillery or 1,500-2,000 meter shots in DayZ.

There's no point putting figety things in when the basics aren't correct, we don't even have anywhere near proper ballistics, or the means to approximate them, and people want to add things like the influence of humidity, or the earth's rotation before the basics are somewhat correct?

Agree, with the long range sniper rifles removed such effects as coriolis are completely negligible. For a quick example, I took the mosin at 500m range and calculated the derivation you would be seeing from coriolis effects. It is about 2cm.

So if he's pointing the thing at you... you are dead :)

Also i'm guessing the dispersion at that range is well above 2cm... so adding in the effect wouldn't even be noticeable in DayZ.

Edited by Kalvarin

DayZ's success hinges on it's brutal realism and lack of balancing and game concepts. I play it because I want to feel like I'm in a post-apocalyptic scenario without the filter of having a character in between me and the world. Therefore it boils down realism/simulation for me.