Sign in to follow this  
Aydjile

Right click zoom mechanic - why it's still there?

Hello devs and survivors.

So we have hard core sim with realistic details on so such small scale its mind bugging, for example - if you open can with an axe, you gonna spill half your beans all over the place because the axe is not proper tool for this task.

And just right there - you have the feature to zoom your vision (telescopes in your skull?) four times closer with a simple mouse click, despite that there is no such thing with iron sights or acog. And this feature also make binoculars or other optical devices - useless.

So my question to the devs - why this zoom feature in the game? Thank you.

Edited by Aydjile

Whoo, whoo! easy there. It doesn't make binoculars useless. But in real life you have the option to focus on a single object in the distance, and that's what this feature is for. I personally like it a lot, I think it makes up for your real life spotting skills skills. Kinda like tunnel vision

Alpha.

WUT? Dude, have you even played the mod?

@aydjile : don't listen to him, he's just trolling

Edited by Weparo
  • Like 2

Whoo, whoo! easy there. It doesn't make binoculars useless. But in real life you have the option to focus on a single object in the distance, and that's what this feature is for. I personally like it a lot, I think it makes up for your real life spotting skills skills. Kinda like tunnel vision

I came here just to say this, you use it to focus on a certain point like squinting your eyes. Perhaps they could adjust it a bit more like actual squinting.

Let me put it like this : If we all had 50" 8k monitors we wouldn't need that, that's very true. But we (or atleast I) don't have that. So the zoom makes up for that.

• Like 2

It would be nice if the focus of the zoom was sharp but everything around it was a bit blurry.

• Like 2

I'll put it simply: the ZOOMED IN level is normal zoom, 1x zoom.

The zoomed out level lets you see around yourself. It is not supposed to be the 1x. It's less than 1x.

That's the way it's considered in all ArmA games.

Edited by Gews

Erm, OP ... because we have a sandbox game, not described anywhere as a hardcore sim ... "what you make of it" is rattling around somewhere.

Oh and I can focus from about six inches to as far as my eyes have resolution ... just because it is difficult to reproduce in a video game doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted.

Edited by RN_Max

So i guess, no one thinks this zoom out of game's scope? Odd, I've thought it's all about getting close to realistic survival.

Alright then.

Well, its a low x. In the mod, Binocs were x4, while zooming is around like x1/2. 

And iron sights are fully zoomed in apon using them.

Because real life resolution/fov of our eyes is much bigger than that of a computer monitor.

^This.

Don't think of it as "zooming in", but focusing on objects far away.

You didn't expect this to be in? To simulate certain things you have to do things differently. You can't simulate our real life focus on a 2D plane. It doesn't make anything useless.

Plus with the way things are rendered (vegetation primarily) a quick zoom can help quickly distinguish if a bush or rock is actually a bush or rock. They shapeshift, truly. It's a running joke among me and my friends in the mod and it's here as well.

Did you play the mod?

And iron sights are fully zoomed in apon using them.

They're only about 70% zoomed in :( makes no sense

#JusticeForIronSights

Did you play the mod?

Yes, I did. And hated this feature all the same. And I do understand concepts of "focusing" and "squinting" for the game's sake. But alas, not in this significant magnification. This "natural" zooming is same powerful as 4x scope. I find it quite unrealistic.

I would say - when binoculars and civilian monocles will be implemented, remove this feature.

Edited by Aydjile

I like having the zoom. I also think of it as focusing rather than just looking.

But there is a problem with it when compared to holding a gun in first person. You cannot zoom into the same level with the gun anywhere which seems a bit counter-intuitive. I don't understand why you could focus like that normally but not when aiming down the sight of a gun. It seems to me that that's when you would be focusing on a distant object more than any other time.

Not that I'm some KoS murderer by the way. I just can't understand why they removed the zoom with guns as it used to be in there. Wasn't it? :huh: