lev

Third person view removal from SA discussion

I prefer it when controlling vehicles, that's it.

Yea It's completely fine with vehicles.

This is actually a valid question. I'm honestly surprised that Dean and the rest of the DayZ team aren't making it 1st person only considering they are making everything else so realistic and authentic (or trying anyway).. 

My only thought is that they feel as though they'd lose sales if it was 1st person only.

I hope FPS servers are plentiful and popular as time goes on. It's even more stressful than usual covering a buddy who's eating knowing that someone could literally be standing behind a wall looking at both of us knowing the exact time when to step out and fire... and that kind of stress is not good. 

The stress you get from first person only as you're clearing out a building knowing the other player also has to play in 1st person is the good kind.

• Like 1

First person SUCKS in this game. Especially people with lower than 60FPS.

Its so floaty, mouse acceleration, motion blur. It all makes first person Un-appealing.

Turn off motion blur....

My only thought is that they feel as though they'd lose sales if it was 1st person only.

There is 0 chance of them losing sales by going 1st person only. People will buy it up regardless of what perspective it is. The only real thing that will change is the game will improve tenfold if it was 1st person only.

• Like 3

Look some of you take this a bit too far.

Nn3tjCd.jpg

Yes . . yes this is a "Mother Fucking Game". Welcome to the age and reality you must take in as a VIDEO GAME. If 1st person was forced on everyone you would lose such a HUGE player count. Then you would return to the forums and bitch about "Why doesn't anyone ever play DayZ anymore"

• Like 3

I prefer first-person only servers, but I don't think anyone should be forced to a certain play style. How would  you feel if it was the other way around, and people were trying to get it third-person only?

I don't understand the whole "forcing" of a certain playstyle..

Was CoD or Half Life forcing the player to play a certain playstyle?

If Rocket and the DayZ team changed it to 1st person it's not forcing anyone into a playstyle.. it's developing the game to how they see fit.

And considering this game is being developed to be a super authentic survival game, 3rd person honestly makes no sense. It makes combat unnecessarily stressful and cheap. You're having a firefight with a guy and he ducks behind a building so you aim down the sights at the corner he just went around... 

The other player you're hunting simply uses the disembodied camera to see that you're camping THAT corner and he simply loops the building to shoot you in the back...

In a 1st person only game, that player would have to make a decision.. does he peek out and risk getting his head blown off to see where you went, or does he take the 50/50% chance and loop around?

The latter adds GOOD gameplay.. 

So far, the only reason I'm seeing to keep 3rd person in the game is to look at your character as he progresses... but you can already do that by hitting the inventory screen...

I hope FPS servers are plentiful and popular as time goes on. It's even more stressful than usual covering a buddy who's eating knowing that someone could literally be standing behind a wall looking at both of us knowing the exact time when to step out and fire... and that kind of stress is not good. 

The stress you get from first person only as you're clearing out a building knowing the other player also has to play in 1st person is the good kind.

Amazing! I had no idea the human body differentiate between first person and third person stress........

Those complaining about mouse "acceleration", your avatar can only turn so fast, the game won't allow you to go past that speed no matter how fast you flick your mouse.

Amazing! I had no idea the human body differentiate between first person and third person stress........

Perhaps stress isn't the right word?

The point is.. I should have the advantage when I'm pointing at an open door.. not someone who uses a floating camera to check inside a room to see if there are threats. That's cheap.. and the fact that I also have that ability does me absolutely NO good in that situation. 

Make everyone play in 1st person and then everyone is on equal footing. Everyone.

EDIT - It's actually rather interesting that most of the people defending 3rd person are doing so because apparently 1st person view isn't realistic enough with it's FOV.. And somehow playing a character with an invisible floating camera behind them to see over and around walls is more realistic? Saying the 3rd person camera is for "periphery" is such a major cop out.

Edited by serenityrick

Well right now we are "forced" to 3rd person, because you would be crazy not to use this advantage to peer over walls, look around corners and clip thru walls, if everyone use an advantage you refuse to use, you are giving yourself a handicap.

i liked Dislexy's quote "In first person, gaining visual information is not without risks, If i can see you, you can see me".

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

I agree, removing it early on will cause less of a backlash. It just doesn't fit.

Splitting everyone up waters down the player base. Force everyone into first person and its better.

why not get rid of first person out side of aiming down the sight? that would be a better fix imo.

people like you are really dense "I fid this feature that the majoirty of players enjoy stupid/unrealistic/cheating so it must be removed to accomdate my playestyle!"

• Like 1

Let me preface with that I prefer first person.

That said third person does have some legit reasons for being more realistic. A persons field of view is close to 180, yet in most games we have a field of view around 60-90. Third person is a closer representation of the FOV that a normal human would have, plus when you take into account that there are many movements we can't do in game, such as peak our head above a fence, or hear noises that we would normally hear, the third person option does a better job of giving us the players more information.

I still feel that first person offers a better challenge but if we are talking about realism, I honestly feel that third person is closer to realistic.

• Like 1

Well right now we are "forced" to 3rd person, because you would be crazy not to use this advantage to peer over walls, look around corners and clip thru walls, if everyone use an advantage you refuse to use, you are giving yourself a handicap.

i liked Dislexy's quote "In first person, gaining visual information is not without risks, If i can see you, you can see me".

Exactly. If you force yourself to play 1st person you will always.. ALWAYS be at a disadvantage versus the rest of the server who plays in 3rd person. And more often than not, even if you do play in 3rd person, you'll be killed because you were at a disadvantage in a situation because your opponent could see you via a floating camera whereas you could not see him. Me being able to use my 3rd person camera does me no good if someone is able to see my entire entry into a given location because he was simply standing behind a wall and watching me the whole time.

In third person it hardly is ever "If I can see you, you can see me", 

That said third person does have some legit reasons for being more realistic. A persons field of view is close to 180, yet in most games we have a field of view around 60-90. Third person is a closer representation of the FOV that a normal human would have, plus when you take into account that there are many movements we can't do in game, such as peak our head above a fence, or hear noises that we would normally hear, the third person option does a better job of giving us the players more information.

I still feel that first person offers a better challenge but if we are talking about realism, I honestly feel that third person is closer to realistic.

Watch that Dyslexci video... the actual FOV (horizontal) changes very little going from 1st to 3rd person. 

And I don't care who you are, there is no way you can see around a corner or over walls with a 180 degree view.

Of course but there are tradeoffs, first person is more immersive and makes combat more fair. It also allow players to use sneaky maneuvers that are simply not possible against a player who has eyes behind his head. It gives a real tradeof to going prone. I think the restricted view angle adds more interesting elements that it removes.

3rd person is a crutch that doesn't really solve what it's supposed to and adds more problems.

• Like 2

If 1st person was forced on everyone you would lose such a HUGE player count. Then you would return to the forums and bitch about "Why doesn't anyone ever play DayZ anymore"

This...and the entire  Let´s Play Scene will lose alot of attention because Thirdperson makes more Fun to watch.

Firstperson is to restless, hectic, stressful thats why it makes no fun to watch and for me no fun to play,

Thirdperson is a relax art of playing DayZ to enjoy the Landscape on long travels.

Edited by DaGolem

I don't really think a game should be built to cater to lets players, the lets play movement started without help from game developers, it will continue fine on it's own, it doesn't need to be "catered to".

• Like 2

I agree to one of the posts here: They will lose sales and player base with forcing "First Person", we have to wait for our first person only servers. The majority want to play the easy survival game and it only counts what the majority wants, not some hardcore gamer.

I don't like it but it's something we have to accept. This will never change. Let's just hope they still modify the 3rd person into "less-cheat-mechanic", because that's what it is right now, a cheat, nothing else.

Edit: I asked 7 people I usually play with DayZ and 6 of them would stop the game if they force first person. Four of them came from COD and three of them Counter strike. Nobody of them including me played the dayz mod.

Edited by TimM1983

Absolutely at the very least remove it to test it out in the alpha.

Social experiment if you will remove it unitl they can fix it or remove it to get public feedback .

there has already been tonnes of feedback. many many discussions on the topic. many people (including myself) just plain wont play 1st person exclusively, and we all have our valid reasons. I agree the third person 'cheating' is something that boils my bum too. My suggestion is LOS (line of sight) ray casting, you can see all of the environment as you do now, but if you cannot see another player in first person, he will not render in third. (relatively) simple fix to a 'cheating' issue, without making the game absolute shit for those of use that simply do not like being forced into 1st person all the time.  I for one have a hard time judging close distance (in first). Third person makes for more smooth navigation. I know there is an alley on the other side of this wall, but I don't know there is a person waiting there for me... 

• Like 1

I don't really think a game should be built to cater to lets players, the lets play movement started without help from game developers, it will continue fine on it's own, it doesn't need to be "catered to".

Simple...go on Firstperson Servers...and don´t force me to play like you want me to play ;)

Some people like Firstperson some like Thirdperson....

and that´s why the future wil have adminchoice.

There is absolutly no reason to Force people into you playstyle ;)

• Like 2

there has already been tonnes of feedback. many many discussions on the topic. many people (including myself) just plain wont play 1st person exclusively, and we all have our valid reasons. I agree the third person 'cheating' is something that boils my bum too. My suggestion is LOS (line of sight) ray casting, you can see all of the environment as you do now, but if you cannot see another player in first person, he will not render in third. (relatively) simple fix to a 'cheating' issue, without making the game absolute shit for those of use that simply do not like being forced into 1st person all the time.  I for one have a hard time judging close distance (in first). Third person makes for more smooth navigation. I know there is an alley on the other side of this wall, but I don't know there is a person waiting there for me... 

At least you and some other 3rd person defenders admit this mode in the current form is a cheat. This give me peace. I met several people who thinks this is a valid feature. I like to see my character + the landscape and all the other stuff coming with 3rd person, but 360° Wallhack is not one of them.

• Like 1