lev

Third person view removal from SA discussion

Wrong, on the 1st person server you would need to stand or crouch on the edge of a tower of which you can be spotted and counter-sniped.

* While on the 3rd person server you can stay prone and just wait for the right moment to go crouch and take the shot. 

* 3rd person camera exploiting 101

Unless youre sniping from a forest hidden under a tree, 500+ meters away from your target location, giving you a perfect overview without having to move at all.

Actually with third person you can extremely easily create situations where the playing field isn't level with two other players by looking over a wall whereas the other person, even with third person, won't be able to see you because of the difference in the camera angle. This is a fact, not an opinion. First person removes this.

Which is something you are going to be aware of if you regularly play in 3rd person servers, and use cover accordingly.

And that same exact mechanic can turn into a disadvantage for the first guy very fast if the other players are aware of their surroundings and properly using cover.

But yea, i get what you're saying and while first person only would remove this, i still dont think this mechanic gives one person an unfair advantage over another since it can be used against them just as much (unless you like laying prone on the top of a building without ever exposing yourself at all).

Unless youre sniping from a forest hidden under a tree, 500+ meters away from your target location, giving you a perfect overview without having to move at all.

Well lets continue this scenario.

On a 3rd person server you can easily scout your surroundings while being in heavy tree cover, no need to expose yourself until you need to kill.

On a 1st person server you would need to expose your self to get a better view in your surrounding area, exposing your-self gives a fair chance for other players to spot you.

Edited by Sobieski12

On a 3rd person server you can easily scout your surroundings while being in heavy tree cover, no need to expose yourself until you need to kill.

On a 1st person server you would need to expose your self to get a better view in your surrounding area, exposing your-self gives a fair chance for other players to spot you.

Idk, i guess we have different ways of sniping...

I have several "favourite" trees in all the high value locations up north (NWAF, NEAF, Bere, Zeleno, etc) where i can just go prone directly under it making me basically invisible from up close if the trees load correctly and very very hard to see from a distance (and at that point i obviously always stay in first person).

I look around by holding ALT and have a very good view of my target area and the only time i have to move even a little is when i have been spotted or fired a couple of shots and have to reposition.

Without third person, the people i shoot at will have almost no chance to find me without exposing themselves constantly.

But yea, whatever floats your boat, i just think trying to get third person removed completely is one part of the community trying to force the other part to play the game the way they enjoy it, which is bs with 1st person servers coming soon anyway. 

Edited by vile.
  • Like 1

FPV only servers don't solve the TPV problem. Quarantining a problem doesn't mean you solved it. Making FPV only servers only separates the player base.

Who cares if the player base is separated? What is the problem? As long as enough servers are full, I could care les if I play with "half" the player base or all players, I can only encounter 50 of them on any given server anyway. I could understand your concern of separating the player base if the base was only 50 players to begin with.

• Like 1

Idk, i guess we have different ways of sniping...

I have several "favourite" trees in all the high value locations up north (NWAF, NEAF, Bere, Zeleno, etc) where i can just go prone directly under it making my basically invisible from up close if the trees load correctly and very very hard to see from a distance (and at that point i obviously always stay in first person).

I look around by holding ALT and have a very good view of my target area and the only time i have to move even a little is when i have been spotted or fired a couple of shots and have to reposition.

Without third person, the people i shoot at will have almost no chance to find me without exposing themselves constantly.

But yea, whatever floats your boat, i just think trying to get third person removed completely is one part of the community trying to force the other part to play the game the way they enjoy it, which is bs with 1st person servers coming soon anyway. 

The final decision rests with rocket, of which btw already agrees with you. Rocket personally likes the mechanic in which he can see himself in the world, but then again rocket also said that he does not really like pvp and is not really associated with that discussion.

If people like the cheap mechanic, be my guest.

* Personally I am just disappointed that the 1st person servers where not introduced at launch.

But then again rocket has multiple different problems.

The Public Hive system

* Server Hopping

* Combat Logging

* Death Logging

* Private Server Looting

* Dead Server looting

* Loot respawn 

But o well, alpha is alpha.

Edited by Sobieski12

Who cares if the player base is separated? What is the problem? As long as enough servers are full, I could care les if I play with "half" the player base or all players, I can only encounter 50 of them on any given server anyway. I could understand your concern of separating the player base if the base was only 50 players to begin with.

Oh ya. I'm sure all your friends wants to play TP+FP or FP only. Either that or you only by yourself.

This is essentially why it needs to be removed. People proposing the removal of tpv have no qualms with seeing your character or others enjoyment of doing such things.

Their problems arise from being able to gain an unfair advantage over players with no risk to yourself while in third person view.

Third person view exploits are right up there with combat logging, glitchy zombies, server hopping, when it comes to important problems that need fixing.

There's no way to convince any side to change their minds on this subject. Not even with valid points.

I kind of agree with OP, about those rookie/hardcore servers which could run on separate databases, though adding more variations wouldn't be a good idea. I'm pretty sure I've seen those in mod ( easy, veteran, veteran + no TPV ). So yeah, for me either you play on softcore server with nametags, maps working like gps etc. or hardcore server with no tpv and different loot tables, like ultra rare m4 and other military guns, etc.

Although I'd love to see 3rd person completely removed, no matter how hard I wish for it, it feels like it's not going to happen. By introducing difficulty levels devs could kill two birds with one stone. There'd be FPV/TPV servers and FPV only.

There's to hope that experimental build with no TPV becomes primary one, even just to see how it works out.

But I feel like gamma exploit should be addressed before cameras.

You guysare assholes.

You don't like something? Someone else does though? Oh, who cares what they like, i want it to be removed, so Remov NOW!!!!!

It is an exploit, and even though i use 3rd person i don't use it. Thats right, i »Don't« use it. I only use 3rd p while running around on a street, field, or forest. I don't look around corners, over walls or over ledges. 

The only reason i use it is becuase the camera in 1st p is like a foot infront of your face.

Theres a simple fix. Zoom it in more. I'm talking about 2 feet instead of 6 behind the players head. Don't allow players to zoom in 3rd p either. Make it so you can't alt down, so you can't look over edges or walls. 

That would almost completely remove the exploit.

But i'm sure you guys are completely unwilling to compromise, its no 3rd p or nothing for you.

Edited by thedogfoodyayho
  • Like 1

You guysare assholes.

You don't like something? Someone else does though? Oh, who cares what they like, i want it to be removed, so Remov NOW!!!!!

It is an exploit, and even though i use 3rd person i don't use it. Thats right, i »Don't« use it. I only use 3rd p while running around on a street, field, or forest. I don't look around corners, over walls or over ledges. 

The only reason i use it is becuase the camera in 1st p is like a foot infront of your face.

Theres a simple fix. Zoom it in more. I'm talking about 2 feet instead of 6 behind the players head. Don't allow players to zoom in 3rd p either. Make it so you can't alt down, so you can't look over edges or walls. 

That would almost completely remove the exploit.

But i'm sure you guys are completely unwilling to compromise, its no 3rd p or nothing for you.

See thats the thing its not about liking something or not.

This is what you people do not understand. It is about improving the game by evening the playing field and not giving anyone anyone any gamebreaking advantages.

The fact that there has been so much division on this subject lets us know 1 thing immediately being able to see around cover without exposing yourself is a problem.

There is no debating this, being able to peek around and over cover while fully invisible to players is a huge problem.

There are 2 solutions to this

A. Remove third person view.

B. Fix third person view.

A would be the easy option that would immediately fix the game and not have any negative effects.

B. Would be a daam near impossibility.

So the solution to this great dilema is simple remove third person view.

And if it is removed - Fix 1st person.

But alas 1st person is fixed now.

FOV slider and option to remove or reduce head bob lets you custom tweak your fov to reach third person view level of vision without cheating and being able to see around corners.

Now there really is no excuse for tpv.

There's already a perfect solution, but if first person players wont even play on first person servers, why the hell should third person players have to?

well said....

have some beanZZZ...

• Like 1

Please remove 3rd haha. The game is so immersive and SO MUCH FUN with first. However, I really don't want the axe or my backpack strap clipping through my face :(

Not going to lie, I use 3rd because you get a better view of things, however, if it were removed and everyone was forced to use 1st, I would not complain. I heard that Rocket was making a hardcore mode that disabled 3rd anyway.

Please remove 3rd haha. The game is so immersive and SO MUCH FUN with first. However, I really don't want the axe or my backpack strap clipping through my face :(

so immersive with the zombies running through the ground, the shotty controls, yup so immersive.

First person view only servers = no kids , combat logger, hoppers, etc

The logic in this post is just daunting, the camera i play in won't stop me from server hopping/combat logging some people are really dense.

• Like 1

Please Mr Rocket remove tpv !!!

is like a cheat !!

there is to much campers in the roof of the buildings, they can see you pass an they whit the mosin kos  when they want

i am searching for loot i am not a camper,

when they are full geared they start to camp and kos for diversion, ( well there is not much things to do if you have full gear ! )

remove that !!

this is apocaliptic terror game,

whit only fpv everyone will feared to be killed :)

I am also fine with 3rd person view. Just give us the possibility to play on HC/1st person only servers and everything will be fine. DayZ ist THAT game where you can play the way you like it. 1st person, 3rd person, KoS-bandit, vampire-bandit, whatever.

Two problems though, playing friendly puts you at a severe disadvantage.

Playing in first person only puts you at a severe disadvantage.

Imagine what it's like for me when there are seemingly no first person servers and I try to be friendly with every encounter.

It is a GAME ... that form of entertainment that is taken as such, by those who don't need a valid reason to disagree with such an imposition on their paid-for product and leisure time.  I am for neither side.  I am for choice.

The feature has deliberately been included by the developers ... just like it was left in the mod.

I feel I have no choice but to put it bluntly ... Want to play in the sandbox your way?  Then rent a server and set it up to your liking.

Can't do that right now?  Have some patience, or go rent a mod server and set that up to your liking until the option is available.

also we only have a small % of players talking about this... the vast majority don't care

I Switch back and fourth very frequently and would be pretty unhappy if they removed the 3rd person part of the game... I enjoy watching my character do actions in 3rd person and then switching to 1st person for combat or when im indoors scavenging... but being outdoors in 1st person is just plain boring...

also we only have a small % of players talking about this... the vast majority don't care

Yup vast majority of players would just adapt to the lack of tpv.

Eventually everyone will just look back and reflect on how broken tpv was and how it was terrible because it let you see over cover and obstacles.

• Like 1

Dslyecxi clearly added a lot of passion and nice footage, but he really didn't add anything new to the discussion.

I just can't see, how you can remove a feature, that's been part of the gameplay since OFP, since the launch of the mod and now since the launch of the standalone. Whether you like third person or not, it's not only popular, it's also a legit part of the game.

Side & global chat were part of the game.

Squads were part of the game.

3d markers were part of the game.

3d crosshairs are part of the game.

Interaction system is part of the game.

Map markers were part of the game.

Tanks were part of the game.

DayZ doesn't have to maintain all the parts of the original Arma. Your argument is invalid.