lev

Third person view removal from SA discussion

i like the options everyone wants to play it there own way  i dont play it as a fps so i dont care much for the first person view but if i am forced to get in a shoot out i allways switch to first just cause you wanna play one way doesnt make it the right way that goes for me too and if you think it gives an advantage then do it its not like your not allowed to its your choice

So why having 1st-Person-View only server isn't the solution? Because a lot of people play with friends. Say if I want to play on FPV only servers and all my friends want to play FPV+TPV, or the other way around. What can I do?

-Find other friends?

-Play alone?

-Go with the majority and play with my friends?

Only the last option seems reasonable. So, I would like everyone to focus on how to make TPV less exploitable instead of believing that separating the servers is THE SOLUTION to limit TPV exploitation.

TL;DR: Having FPV only servers and FPV+TPV servers only separates player base/friends.

Personally, I think these two suggestions are the best for limit TPV exploitation in combat:

-Keep TPV camera closer to players so that they can't use it to look around corners and etc.

-Players can't attack in TPV mode, and switching from TPV to FPV mode will take longer.

If you want to play FPV only and your friends don't, obviously you have to compromise. There should certainly be FPV only servers. There should be TPV enabled servers as well so everyone can play the way he likes.

Maybe we could even add a third kind of server, where FPV is enabled but TPV is nerfed the way you suggest. Though in my opinion this is a fallcy. What if your friends don't want to play on a server where TPV is nerfed? What if they want to be able to shoot in 3rd person view? You'll have to make a compromise anyway, there is NO way around that.

I don't like the suggestions you made, because the main advantage of TPV is that you are able to get an awareness advantage. You're not shooting your enemy through the wall anyway, you'll have to face him before you shoot and then it doesn't matter if you have third or first person, the advantage is created because you saw him before he was able to see you. As DayZ is a slow game anyway, as long as you don't make switching views incredibly long, there is close to no disadvantage created.

I don't see an issue with people being able to play TPV servers and then switch to FPV servers. If you think you can loot more easily in TPV think again, the bandit can make use of TPV as well balancing your "advantage" out. I don't think its easier to loot in TPV servers as everyone got the same advantage, you won't see the bandit on the roof in TPV servers and you won't see the bandit behind the wall in FPV servers, to me there is no difference as long as its not TPV vs FPV on the same server.

So simply add servers that enable FPV only and everyone is happy. A compromise has to be made if you have friends that prefer a different options, nerfing TPV would also be a compromise so I deem it redundant but if you like give this option as well.

Edited by DieBrotmafia

I remember how things went with side chat. rocket removed it, but eventually it became very difficult to find a server without it

Also I am fairly tired of seeing there is no valid reason for third person. Let me drop a knowledge bomb on you guys, spatial awareness. Third person gives you the ability to understand your place in the environment, first person does not.

There is a nice nifty fov slider now so this is no longer a problem.

Also the reason people are so passionate about removing it is because it can and is being used as an exploit to gain the upper hand in combat situations.

702566296.jpg

In the picture for example you can clearly see things you shouldnt be able to see. Until this is address tpv should be removed completely.

If you think you can loot more easily in TPV think again, the bandit can make use of TPV as well balancing your "advantage" out. 

Zombies don't have a TPV option. Once pathing is fixed and more and more zombies are added TPV will definitely give an advantage in looting since Zombies don't get to use it. ;)

I almost forgot. With TPV you line up your shot in advance, then pop out of cover to take it. The reaction time from when you pop out to when you shoot is minuscule for the other player. In addition combat with TPV boils down to this. Both people get into cover and watch with TPV. Eventually someone decides they have to move, they leave cover and other guy shoots them. If you pop out to lay down covering fire it doesn't work because the other guy and clearly see where you are and even with another player on your side then moving he can slide over to where you are not firing, pop up and shoot your buddy before you can slide the fire over there. That is if he didn't just shoot you while you were sitting there firing blindly at cover. 

Edited by Mercules

Also the reason people are so passionate about removing it is because it can and is being used as an exploit to gain the upper hand in combat situations.

702566296.jpg

In the picture for example you can clearly see things you shouldnt be able to see. Until this is address tpv should be removed completely.

^ opinion not fact maybe he plays the game for other things then just PEE VEEE PEE

Edited by shister313

First or third person, if you stand in the middle of a field without any cover in sight, you really deserve to be shot.

702566296.jpg

Well ya of course. All you have to do is move and ull see shit. If you need to pock ya head out from that rock and get shot. you dumb ass for choosing a bad bit of cover.

You guys are making DayZ sound like Counter Strike lmao

Edited by madmike69

702566296.jpg

that's a good example. rolling like that in 1st person is quite disorienting, as your view rotates around. in 3rd person it's just and extra quick side strafe

not to mention the usual issue of being able to see over the grass and that wall

• Like 1

First or third person, if you stand in the middle of a field without any cover in sight, you really deserve to be shot.

What this guy said!!! 

Your not a good player at the game if u got to moan stuff like this.

It's hard to believe third person is still here. 

Don't add any realism as long as there is third person, make me spawn with a gun and have triple my health while your at it. Everyone is forced to use it because it provides such a tacticle advantage it's not even normal. 

• Like 1

702566296.jpg

I am not sure you understand what spatial awareness means. I have used the FOV slider and you still do not get a great idea of your body in relation to the environment. But at the end of the day I do not care about the arguments one way or the other, it is merely a preference and the only group that has any say already included 3rd person in the Alpha. If it is removed I will quietly accept that decision and adapt, unfortunately many on the other side of the argument are unable to do the same. 

Eddie Izzard gets that sometimes having two options still means there is only one choice. Right now the only option is 3rd person. Eventually it will be 3rd person or 1st person but it will still only be 3rd person, just like in the Mod. As for spatial awareness... it's still bullshit. I don't stumble and get stuck on everything in games that only have First Person because after just a bit of playing you learn what space your virtual body occupies just like in real life. All it does is eliminate that very short learn curve. 

Your beef is with the fact that more people like third person and the developers are incapable of fixing that problem for you without removing an option. Sometimes your opinion loses out in the marketplace of ideas, this is one of those times. 

What this guy said!!! 

Your not a good player at the game if u got to moan stuff like this.

Or we don't need to rely on crutches to play and so don't mind them going away. ;)

Can there be an argument to not split the fan base?  Have dedicated servers for FP only and FP-TP.  The people are obviously split and there is no rectifying it.  simply no chance at all. Too many people want third person, 2 many people think it's cheating. Time and effort would be better spent in the KoS thread....

Your beef is with the fact that more people like third person and the developers are incapable of fixing that problem for you without removing an option. Sometimes your opinion loses out in the marketplace of ideas, this is one of those times. 

See, that actually isn't true. An old poll on the forums pointed out that a lot of people actually prefer 1st person but play on 3rd person servers. I am one of them because I have friends that tend to take the easy way out. Even they, who prefer 3rd person because it actually is easier, have admitted they would still play DayZ if it was 1st person only, but because the option exists.... guess where they want to go.

3rd person = easy mode.  

Can there be an argument to not split the fan base?  Have dedicated servers for FP only and FP-TP.  The people are obviously split and there is no rectifying it.  simply no chance at all. Too many people want third person, 2 many people think it's cheating. Time and effort would be better spent in the KoS thread....

Removing third person view would not split the fan base.

Everyone would be on fpv servers since tpv servers would not exist.

3rd person makes it difficult to know if other players can see you or not. If you are hiding behind a wall or a car you never know if the guy on the other side can see you. But i still love it because you can see more of the beautiful map ;) For me it's more like a feature than a game breaking issue.

• Like 1

3rd person makes it difficult to know if other players can see you or not. If you are hiding behind a wall or a car you never know if the guy on the other side can see you. But i still love it because you can see more of the beautiful map ;) For me it's more like a feature than a game breaking issue.

No it doesn't.  :huh: 

With 3rd person you can swing your view around to the front and see if you are in cover or not.  In FPV you can't be certain your foot isn't sticking out but in TPV you just swing 180 degerees and check. 

Rocket, please don't take out third person completely out of the game. Some people, like the one I play this game with, get motion sickness and vertigo when they play in first person. The reason why she plays the game with me is because it allows her to play in third person. 

I personally don't mind playing in first person, but there are people out there who have problems playing in it. If the game does become more strict with first person, I think that there should be servers dedicated for FP and regular servers with both FP and TP. I'm all for realism, but let's not forget that this is a game and "fun" for you isn't always the same for others.

Rocket, please don't take out third person completely out of the game. Some people, like the one I play this game with, get motion sickness and vertigo when they play in first person. The reason why she plays the game with me is because it allows her to play in third person. 

I personally don't mind playing in first person, but there are people out there who have problems playing in it. If the game does become more strict with first person, I think that there should be servers dedicated for FP and regular servers with both FP and TP. I'm all for realism, but let's not forget that this is a game and "fun" for you isn't always the same for others.

Tell her to turn off head bob and adjust the FOV. That will likely cure her issue. 

Or tell her to continue playing in third person, like the rest of us.

• Like 1

See, that actually isn't true. An old poll on the forums pointed out that a lot of people actually prefer 1st person but play on 3rd person servers. I am one of them because I have friends that tend to take the easy way out. Even they, who prefer 3rd person because it actually is easier, have admitted they would still play DayZ if it was 1st person only, but because the option exists.... guess where they want to go.

3rd person = easy mode.  

Oh a forum poll, how scientific. I have been here quite some time and I can tell you that poll and the other topic were commented on by long time forum users who are notorious for not representing the average DayZ player. Sometimes that is good since a large amount of the player base supported mods and servers that had watered down the game, but the opinion of forum users should never be confused with the actual opinion of DayZ players in general.  

I admitted I would still play DayZ if first person was removed, but that does not change my preference. I also already pointed out that some dude I do not know telling me 3rd person is easy mode (or cupcake, or cheating, or whatever else you wish to label it) does not matter either. 

So lets look at your argument. You argue from a point of selfishness. You have friends who prefer a view and are upset that you often have to compromise to their preference. I get why that would make you upset, but I fail to see why I should care even a little bit. 

• Like 1

:facepalm: Still this Dumb Discusion ?? Really? they made it since ARMA Stop crying on both sides, anyway look ppl that want to go in first person will have their hardcore servers that's already been said by Rocket and ppl that want third person will have the veteran servers. END OF STORY it will never go away. Its the dumbest idea to try to force ppl to get rid of third person cause I, you or he don't like it. its like saying government remove Toyota cars cause look I have 1000000 ppl here that signed we don't like those cars we want Toyota cars away from the country we want only Ford !!!!. IT WONT BE REMOVED END OF STORY.  :beans:

Edited by Grandpa

Fine.... whatever, remove it...  Go nuts.... 

Ill just go play the Mod... or Rust(fps only).... or Nether(fps only)... or the DayZish mod for A3, CS:S, CS:GO, Battlefield series, 

The list of First person only games is longer than my arm...... 

Tell her to turn off head bob and adjust the FOV. That will likely cure her issue. 

I'll give that a shot, however I've never ever ever been able to play FP, which is why TP works so well for me.  It literally makes me sick, so for me (and I'm sure many others) having only FP would completely ruin the game for me and so far, I love this game :)

• Like 1