Sign in to follow this  
phoboss

Server hopping is killing this game FAST

That's a ridiculously harsh solution in both cases. My kid wakes up screaming and I've got to wait 3 minutes to log out?

15 seconds is more than sufficient.

15 would be a bit short IMO. It would be too easy to simply run to the nearest cover, wait out the 15 seconds and log out as soon as you heard gunfire.

30 seconds is the magic number IMO.

15 would be a bit short IMO. It would be too easy to simply run to the nearest cover, wait out the 15 seconds and log out as soon as you heard gunfire.

30 seconds is the magic number IMO.

I think the only solution possible would be that each time you log out, you spawn at another place on another server, at least 3 kilometres away.

I think the only solution possible would be that each time you log out, you spawn at another place on another server, at least 3 kilometres away.

But that doesn't make any sense.

Simply having a timer that makes you wait before changing servers would be more logical.

You can change servers once, then after that 2 minutes will be added onto every time you hop. But after hopping 4 times, thats uped to 5 minutes. So hopping 10 times = 38 min timeout. Staying on a server for awhile would lower this with time.

That way, it wouldn't penalize people looking for a daytime server or for joining friends, but hopping would be virtaully removed.

But i'm having a good time rn - sitting in the dorm, shooting every hopper. I got

Got 5 in 8 minutes once... yes, i'm actaully timing it. Pretty sad no one works for their loot, but i've found an easier way to get it!

• Like 1

You can change servers once, then after that 2 minutes will be added onto every time you hop. But after hopping 4 times, thats uped to 5 minutes. So hopping 10 times = 38 min timeout. Staying on a server for awhile would lower this with time.

That way, it wouldn't penalize people looking for a daytime server or for joining friends, but hopping would be virtaully removed.

But i'm having a good time rn - sitting in the dorm, shooting every hopper. I got

Got 5 in 8 minutes once... yes, i'm actaully timing it. Pretty sad no one works for their loot, but i've found an easier way to get it!

That's exactly the solution Dean proposed.

I agree 30 seconds is too low, but the concept itself seems pretty sound.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

Yeah, loot tables, limited loot and loot not respawning properly unless the server restarts is one thing causing people to hop. 

Once we have private server hives for SA if you're worried about hoppers you can join a private hive and problem solved.

Private hives create bigger problems for smaller groups of people.

That's a ridiculously harsh solution in both cases. My kid wakes up screaming and I've got to wait 3 minutes to log out?

15 seconds is more than sufficient.

Your kid is not everyone else's problem.  If real life is getting in the way of playing the game then you have to either give up the game or be okay with the consequences of having a life outside of it.

That being said, a timer solution is not really adequate since it doesn't provide any real solution to server hopping.  For combat logging it has its uses but needs some improvement in order to be actually useful.

With regards to server hopping though, someone previously suggested a really good feature which was overlooked but it went something like this (I'm expanding upon it to make it clearer).

1. Upon new character creation, the character is assigned to the server it is on as the "home" server.  

2. A player can switch their designated home server once per day.

3. If a player joins a non-home server, they spawn in a random location.

4. If the player is in a non-home server and they setup a tent, they can have their location stored by logging out within a 30m radius from the tent (30m was arbitrarily picked but sounded reasonable).

5. If a player logs out outside of the specified radius of their tent in a non-home server, they will spawn randomly on the server should they rejoin.  They can manually return to their tent and log out properly to store location again if desired.

6. The stored location feature on tents can be shared with others specified by the owner of the tent (person who placed it first).  For it to work, those other players need to logout by a tent they are authorized to use.

7. The login location storage can be disabled by another player that stumbles upon the tent.  It won't destroy the tent but effectively wipes the stored location of players using that tent.  Any players that stored their location by logging out by that tent will spawn randomly upon joining the server and need to manually move to the tent and logout again to re-establish a saved location.

Edited by Lev

I love server hopping and I think its a great feature of the game that makes getting loot and killing unsuspecting people so much easier. I love it when someone has me cornered in a room and I can log to another server run out of the room and log back in behind the person, tactics like this make the game realistic just like the matrix or sliders.

Server hopping isnt the biggest issue IMO. Combat loggers and the fact peoples bodies despawns when they leave the server. You can do a fire fight and win. When looting they just exit the server and you get nothing at all

Regarding the title: We are at a very early state of the game, we can compare this to a pregnancy. The game is conceived then it begins it's development for over nine months until it is born finally. You can't kill something that hasn't been born because... well, it hasn't been born! (Let's not turn my sentence into a debate please, it is a metaphore!)

Give it time. Instead of complaining about a gameplay-wise feature, focus more on how the game evolves and develops itself. Developers have way higher priorities than balancing the gameplay right now, and anything regarding the gameplay is secundary for them, because in the deep, server hopping is only to get gear, and gear is used to play. (And they'll end up addressing it in the next patch because some people don't understand that this is an alpha and we're all alpha-testers, not players.)

Of course, server hopping is annoying. Can't say I haven't done it to a minimal extent, yet It is incredibly funny to camp at the barracks and kill everyone who pops up from other servers looking for loot. That's how I did my first headshoot the other day :D

With patience it will be fixed. You can limit yourself to the coast, helping others, and all while the devs get all things sorted out.

Edited by LouisK

Im not combat logging Im just taking tactical break from the action. I dont see what the problem is Im doing it so I dont die and I get to keep all the loot I got from server hoping.

Hacking must be prioritized before combat loggin and server hopping.

I think a mmo style 30 second log out timer would be fair, plus an insta-kill for wounded, handcuffed and fighting characters, who disconnects. Similar killing off characters, who visit a certain amount of servers or certain loot hubs in a short time.

I have killed sooo many server hoppers in balota its not even funny. I love to see ppl spawn in the barracks right in front of me tho.  EZ HEADSHOT and they have no warning to combat log.. Makes me so happy cause what they are doing is immoral and the exact reason I KOS. I only really KOS because 90% of dayz community Hacks or CHEATS in one way or another..

Makes me sick. But its ok :D They will get whats coming to them... Probably in RL because the type of person they are. But if not surely in the game as they spawn right in front of me.

• Like 1

Server hopping is a direct spawn of the loot system and how it currently works.

The loot system needs to be fixed and rebalanced to eliminate ghosting and server hopping.

No server hopping is a direct result of the stupid central hive system that is in place.

Every server needs its own separate location for players. If you server hop to another server you keep your current character but you start a new spawn location.

Best solution is private servers with their own private hives.

• Like 1

f*ck bitches who log, just be careful of your surroundings and always try to spot other players first, some guy nearly killed my while searching barracks, i had an axe, i escaped but i did regret that i didnt go back and chop his head off.

Heya, just to add my 2 cents:

Ghosting, hopping (mostly) and/or eventualy hacking in general are really a gamekiller IMO!

I just hope they wil find a solution soon (timer, side lock. respawn location or anything else)

Totally agree. Server hoppers are the worst people in the game. Wish they died. So increadibly annoying. Why did these people get to buy the alpha?? Should hav been limited to players with a decent amount of playtime in the mod.  

Im not combat logging Im just taking tactical break from the action. I dont see what the problem is Im doing it so I dont die and I get to keep all the loot I got from server hoping.

Oh my god. The problem is you're breaking the unwritten (soon to be written, hopefully) laws of the game. People like you ruin the game for everybody that wants to play DayZ. You shold find something else to play

Totally agree with the topic. I know its alpha and we need to test the game instead of having fun and all. But the thing is WE CAN NOT TEST THE GAME because we get killed on every encounter because of the server hopping and ghosting. Devs should prioritise this RIGHT NOW

Server hopping is killing this game fast? This is an alpha version, server hopping wont be exploited forever, if you are quitting this game in alpha because of exploits you are a moron and the game will be better off without you anyway. You think this is the first (alpha) game ever where people have used exploits to gain an advantage, get a grip

How is server hopping killing a game that hasnt even been relesed yet? Hate to say it but alpher!! lol This is such a small issue atm, much bigger fish to fry. Noone can say its ruining there dayz experiance as no one is really playing dayz yet, we are all testing it out and giving feedback. The mod identified server hopping as a problem regarding loot, so loot respawn times were upped to 15 mins to prevent farming and server hopping. Combat logging was sorted by a 15 sec logout timer. This shows that even befor the alpha was out that things were bieng put in place to sort this out. They will implement there new better features for this but only when they feel the basic stability issues are sorted. Give tiiiiime lol Its been out for what....just over a week and people are complaining about gameplay issues that obviously wont be addressed till much further down the line.

All her bandits nothing else to do.. What do you expect? When zeds and other things like vehicles it will not be a problem and no one will care.. People just crying coz alpher banditry is here with kos so all people are doing is hopping for amo.

They managed it in one of the mods, I think it was DayZero.

If you wanted to combat log, you'd get a 'you cannot log out near another player' and it literally wasn't possible to click Abort.

I'm not sure how to combat server hopping other than tying our characters to each server. Personally I preferred using private hives in the mod cause it allowed me several characters. 

They managed it in one of the mods, I think it was DayZero.

If you wanted to combat log, you'd get a 'you cannot log out near another player' and it literally wasn't possible to click Abort.

I'm not sure how to combat server hopping other than tying our characters to each server. Personally I preferred using private hives in the mod cause it allowed me several characters. 

Combat log is a different topic.

But yer 1 char per server would do it, wouldn't need private hives either.

I would imagine if they can keep track of a few million items and probably a million+ players a few thousand servers wouldn't make a big impact on the stored data.

Edited by BL1P