booshee

Zombies as a cure for KOS

I just got a new idea that could help reduce KoS just a little bit

1. Make the map much bigger

2. Create more cities with loot tables like Cherno or Elektro, so people wouldn't only focus on these 2 cities and spread all over the map.

3. Change the spawning locations. Why only spawn at the coast ? We could also spawn somewhere northwest or in the middle of the map. Implying devs will make more interesting towns/villages that wouldn't force people to suicide because they wouldn't find anything good there, that would work very good. Some people said that spawning at the beach is realistic. but so is spawning everywhere else.

How would that help with reducing KoS ? The main idea is to make it very hard to find any players at all, so If you ever find a player somewhere in the woods you would be like "OH GOD, IT'S A PLAYER !!!, not like "a player, gotta kill him"

• Like 1

i dont know... fighting zombies in the game is no fun, ok its bit more satisfying now that i have bag full of ammo but melee  with zombies is really awful, tbh id prefer no zombies and more players on the map

I just got a new idea that could help reduce KoS just a little bit

1. Make the map much bigger

2. Create more cities with loot tables like Cherno or Elektro, so people wouldn't only focus on these 2 cities and spread all over the map.

3. Change the spawning locations. Why only spawn at the coast ? We could also spawn somewhere northwest or in the middle of the map. Implying devs will make more interesting towns/villages that wouldn't force people to suicide because they wouldn't find anything good there, that would work very good. Some people said that spawning at the beach is realistic. but so is spawning everywhere else.

How would that help with reducing KoS ? The main idea is to make it very hard to find any players at all, so If you ever find a player somewhere in the woods you would be like "OH GOD, IT'S A PLAYER !!!, not like "a player, gotta kill him"

for sure. game would benefit from it 

Removing the Zeds is NOT an option. This is a silly statement and it seems to only come from the people who just want DayZ strictly PvP. That's not what the game is and not what DayZ will be, it will have Zeds and a lot more of them. If you want no Zeds go play Arma 3 or some shit. I really have no idea why people would buy and play DayZ not wanting Zeds in the game. Maybe to shoot people in the face unhindered? Pfft.

I'm pretty sure he has never said anything of the sort. You WANT rocket to want this game to be a "post apocalyptic zombie survival simulation" but those aren't his words.

What he did say is "Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose."

Get it? As I choose. Not as YOU choose, but me. I get to decide.

And, point of order, he HAS said that he hates people who complain about "CoD players" ruining the game, because he actually really likes CoD and thinks it's a great game and that people need to stop blaming their problems on it.

"DayZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hyrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can." - http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/153735-frequently-asked-questions/

So yes, it is a "post apocalyptic zombie survival simulation".  :rolleyes: 

My suggestion to make Zombies be able to detect (smell) players that kill other survivors a little more easily won't stop people playing the way they choose to play, it just gives more incentive to play the game intelligently, with more skill and therefor emersion.  It's a far better gameplay mechanic than making KoS Bandits look like terrorists, or many other suggestions I've seen in regards to dealing with the KoS issue.  

I also have no problem with CoD or CoD players, it's a nice fun and very casual game to play.  What I have a problem with is that this game is being dumbed down to that level of gameplay.  

I'd assume that most people that play DayZ are like me and also believe that it needs to be a "gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hyrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can."  Currently this game has a long way to go to meet this criteria unfortunately .

By the way I like your suggestions you have made in the link in your signature.  They would also change the game in a more positive way, by encouraging us to play a bit differently compared to the way we currently are.   :thumbsup:

At the moment the best/easiest way to play this game is to:

Kill on Sight

Play in a group

Use third person

Combat Log

Server Hop to Farm Loot and outflank other players

Ghost

Enable Very High Quality Clouds at night

^  Just imagine how great this game would be if these issues were dealt with in a balanced way that makes most people happy (except for the Trolls & Griefers).   :beans:

Edited by Rage Infected
  • Like 1

I can't help but thinking making zombies rediculously hard (as some have been suggesting) is extremely counter-productive to the mechanics that have already been added to the game to curb "KoS" mentality. The mechanics I'm referring to are the hostage taking mechanics. Now imagine how willing someone might be to take the time to hold someone up when there is a hord of 20 tough zombies chasing right behind them. It would be much easier to just shoot that potential hostage in the face, and keep running from the zombies. If you make zombies too hard, then you might make player interaction too hard as well, which the developers obviously don't want, and will take into careful consideration before making any drastic changes to the environmental dangers.

For those who wan't a "punishing" mechanic to "KoS" players, they have already added a mechanic that does that extremely well. When you shoot someone, chances are you destroy all (most) of their loot. This helps prevent players from shooting directly on sight. What happens after that is up to the players. You can't force people to be friendly with everyone, and letting people's true colours come out is (in my opinion) one of the great aspects of day Z.

This. I desperately want there to be scenarios when 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. Two random people teaming up, back to back in order to hold back the onslaught.

Best. Death. Ever.

I'd just shoot the other person for turning there back on me, then run away and avoid the joke of an AI there going to come out with.

I can't help but thinking making zombies rediculously hard (as some have been suggesting) is extremely counter-productive to the mechanics that have already been added to the game to curb "KoS" mentality. The mechanics I'm referring to are the hostage taking mechanics. Now imagine how willing someone might be to take the time to hold someone up when there is a hord of 20 tough zombies chasing right behind them. It would be much easier to just shoot that potential hostage in the face, and keep running from the zombies. If you make zombies too hard, then you might make player interaction too hard as well, which the developers obviously don't want, and will take into careful consideration before making any drastic changes to the environmental dangers.

For those who wan't a "punishing" mechanic to "KoS" players, they have already added a mechanic that does that extremely well. When you shoot someone, chances are you destroy all (most) of their loot. This helps prevent players from shooting directly on sight. What happens after that is up to the players. You can't force people to be friendly with everyone, and letting people's true colours come out is (in my opinion) one of the great aspects of day Z.

We still have a problem of KoS existing just because people are bored. 

Also if you wanna take a hostage and rob him, don't do that in city where anybody could shoot you and the hostage, do it in places like forest, roads, etc. 

Rocket wanted this game to be a post apocalyptic zombie survival simulation, not CoD.   B)

in a zombie apoc. I would kill anyone I saw on sight if I had the means, then steal there food/supplies if I could.

in a zombie apoc. I would kill anyone I saw on sight if I had the means, then steal there food/supplies if I could.

No you wouldn't 

• Like 1

"DayZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hyrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can." - http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/153735-frequently-asked-questions/

So yes, it is a "post apocalyptic zombie survival simulation".

Where does the word simulation appear in the quote you posted? That completely changes the meaning of the quote. You can't just toss it on there and roll your eyes like you've proven your point.

Sorry, but:

Do you see it as a simulation game?

Hall: No.

:rolleyes: 

My suggestion to make Zombies be able to detect (smell) players that kill other survivors a little more easily won't stop people playing the way they choose to play

Sure, it just arbitrarily punishes them for playing in a way other than what you deem "right." Which, sorry, no.

it just gives more incentive to play the game intelligently, with more skill and therefor emersion. 

All total bullshit. What's "more intelligent" about not killing people? Just because it's not how you want to play doesn't make you smarter than people who kill others bud. It takes more intelligence to murder another player than it does to eat a can of beans and admire the sunset.

I also have no problem with CoD or CoD players, it's a nice fun and very casual game to play.  What I have a problem with is that this game is being dumbed down to that level of gameplay.  

So you have "no problem" with CoD, but it's "dumb." Right. Okay. That makes perfect sense.

I'd assume that most people that play DayZ are like me

If that's true, the why the hell do you need features to encourage people to play like you? If they're all like you already, then it's not a problem, right?

Kill on Sight

Play in a group

Sorry, but what? How can it be both? If I'm killing people on sight I can't possibly be in a group.

Combat Log

Server Hop to Farm Loot and outflank other players

Ghost

All known issues that will be fixed and having nothing to do with PvP or your silly Goody-Goody Super Psychic Fantastic Zombies idea.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

We still have a problem of KoS existing just because people are bored. 

I'm sure people will be less bored once all the features (vehicles etc) are implemented into the standalone. For now, as loyal alpher testers, we are just testing out the fundamentals. To be perfectly honest though, I've logged ~29 hours of dayZ SA already, and I havn't seen "KoS" as being a real problem (and before any assumptions are made, I don't kill unarmed players).

Also if you wanna take a hostage and rob him, don't do that in city where anybody could shoot you and the hostage, do it in places like forest, roads, etc. 

I think you sort of missed my point here. I'm not saying you would go into a city looking for hostages, I'm saying you might come across a survivor in a city, and if you can't hold them up and ask them some questions, then you might just shoot them in the face.

I'd honestly like a different kind of approach like this. Say, if a storyline is ever introduced to the game. A minor storyline, I mean. Such as outposts opening up in the wastelands and the likes. I think groups of AI survivors should repel people who have killed quite a few others, kind of like the Hero AI on those modded DayZ mod servers. Something along the lines where Heroes get an additional benefit Bandits don't, but the benefit is contextual.

Make Zombies the No1 threat. Make them a fast, agile, jumping, biting, scratching, headshot-to-be-killed horde that keeps on coming, no matter what. That is my dream.

Edit: After they are fixed ofc :P

They aren't technically zombies, so any shot that would kill a normal person will also work on them 

Yeah, no. Death in real life is much different than in the fantasy world of video games. Unless you were mentally troubled, you would not kill someone the moment they appear in sight

Edited by Death Dealer
  • Like 1

i was thinking on this last night. here are my thoughts. 

as much as KoS is a pain, it is also one of the unfortunate necessary evils of the game. It adds a mechanic of suspense and fear to the game that i just feel is important to the overall gameplay of the game. Personally, i don't KoS. This is because i like to play the game as i would like think i would do so in a real scenario. I try to help others. I do what i can to survive, explore, gather, and thrive in a land of chaos. I don't feel the need to try and off someone because they have a can opener and i don't. But everyone plays this game differently, for different reasons. Some want to play the bad guy. Good, adds that mechanic to the gameplay. Some want to just explore, eat beans and watch the sunset. Also good. Adds variety. This comes with a cost however, things have gotten so harsh that everyone adopts a KoS policy out of fear that the other player has the same. There's no real identifier to differentiate between the player types, and i like it that way. As i said, adds suspense. 

so with that being said, here is an idea that would be pretty cool to see. I doubt it would come to fruition, but hear me out.

Different character sets, with difficulty levels adjusted according to how you want to play the game. For example, you can start a new character with a "rookie" difficulty setting. This character can only play on rookie servers where there are safe zones with no PvP or no PvP at all on those servers. The rest of the game mechanics would stay standard. They just can't be killed by other players. This character also cannot server hop to a server with a higher difficulty later on, that character will always be stuck in a rookie setting. More or less a "no PvP" character. this would help newcomers to the game who want to experience the gameplay and learn the in's and out's of basic Dayz get started without having to worry about getting cut down the first time they fire up the game and decide to quit playing forever. Once they get brave enough then they could start a new fresh character from the beginning and join the rest of the more experienced players on servers with the appropriate skill setting and PvP enabled.

To be clear, they could not use the "rookie" character to play on more difficult servers. This prevents farming on the easy servers, finding all your weapons and then hopping to a PvP server. All the items on the "rookie" would stay with that character.

To play on a server with PvP afterwards, a new character would have to be created from scratch and you would essentially start over with that new character on a higher difficulty.

Will it keep the naysayers from complaining about PvP. Probably not, it sucks to get killed for what feels like nothing, but hey, thats the game. Those are the risks. I feel my scenario above would help bring new players to the game, which would inevitably make the game better for everone in the end. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Stay safe everyone. 

Looking at these posts is just like a re-repeat of everything that was discussed about the mod.

High level of kos exists because nothing has changed... The fact is there's nothing much else to do in dayz except kill each other, infact this is more true now than ever as zombies are best totally avoided which isn't too hard.

Once the game evolves a bit hopefully things will ballance out a bit.

Another two ways that Zombies can help alleviate the KoS epidemic in this game are:

1. -  Zombies hearing need to be just as good as our hearing.  When they hear any non-ambient noise, they should come running/shambling to investigate the area they heard the noise coming from.  This will create far more paranoia and tension in the game, where players will have to try and be as quite as possible at all times, and will also make players think twice before firing their very loud guns.  I also think that all firearms should be a lot louder in this game, so that they are more risky to use in terms of giving your location to away to Zombies and other players.

2. -  Zombies should be able to smell fresh blood.  This would mean that when a player injures or kills another player, any Zombies in the area will be attracted to the smell of the blood.  This will also make the game far more interesting, where we will most likely have to fight off Zombies while we try to loot the corpse of a freshly killed player. Also if you were injured in the fight you would need to bandage yourself up quickly to stop the Zombies from knowing your location from the smell of your blood.  It would also make for some fun and exciting moments when two or more players are going at each other with melee weapons, which would most likely attract a horde of Zombies to the party from all the bloodshed. 

Where does the word simulation appear in the quote you posted? That completely changes the meaning of the quote. You can't just toss it on there and roll your eyes like you've proven your point.

Sorry, but:

Do you see it as a simulation game?

Hall: No.

:rolleyes: 

LMAO! Well played Troll.... well played.

You had me going there for a while, but your retarded Straw Man arguments and cheering picking of quotes gave you away. GG.   ;) 

I know you were just playing the Straw Man Semantics game, but in case you didn't know, the words “authentic” & “simulation” mean basically the same thing in this context of gaming. Both pertaining to mean an as realistic as possible game. In hindsight I should have directly quoted the devs description of the game in its entirety and not shortened it down for easy reading.

Also thanks for this link (Do you see it as a simulation game?), where Rocket is talking about a new Mountaineering game that he is planning on developing. I’m not totally sure why you posted that link in regards to this thread, but I will make sure not to mistake that game for a simulation.   :rolleyes: 

Sure, it just arbitrarily punishes them for playing in a way other than what you deem "right." Which, sorry, no.

If you are this threatened in regards to my idea of Zombies being able to detect (smell) you a bit more easily with each successive kill, and feel that it is arbitrary punishment if you manage to survive more than an hour, then that says a lot about how you play this game.

I’m guessing that you probably play with a Goody-Goody Super Psychic Fantastic Group, that uses TeamSpeak and go around killing the majority of other players you come across, amirite?   :blush: 

At the moment the only people getting arbitrarily punished in this game via the gameplay mechanics are the Carebears, and that’s because the only real significant threat in this game is KoS players like you and me. It looks like the devs are working on trying to discourage KoS, by making it that gear is damaged when you kill another player, and by creating more complex Hunger, Thirst and Health systems. So why not also work on making the Zombies more complex and significant a threat as to give the Z in DayZ true meaning?

All total bullshit. What's "more intelligent" about not killing people? Just because it's not how you want to play doesn't make you smarter than people who kill others bud. It takes more intelligence to murder another player than it does to eat a can of beans and admire the sunset.

By not just Killing on Sight when you come across someone and using other means to deal with the situation does take more effort and intelligence, where you either: A) Try and communicate with them (maybe group up with them. B) Try and determine if they are a threat or not. C) Keep an eye on them and evade their sight while you loot the area. D) Run away and miss out on the loot the other player is taking making things more difficult for yourself. E) Maybe something else entirely.

Right now it’s – I see another player = bang! Or I see another player = axe them in the face!

But I do admit that I’m not sure if it’s easier to kill another player on sight compared to eating a can of beans at sunset. As you first have to find the beans and then you have to wait for sunset, which can be difficult to survive that long if it’s night time when you decide to do this momentous challenge. And there is also a good chance you might get killed by another player when your full attention is on both admiring this wondrous sunset and clicking your mouse button multiple times to get your toon to eat the damn beans.   :beans:

So you have "no problem" with CoD, but it's "dumb." Right. Okay. That makes perfect sense.

I didn't say CoD is “dumb”. What I said was that compared to what DayZ is supposed to be (according to the devs), then yes CoD is a dumbed down style of gameplay in comparison. Which is one of the reasons it’s such a successful a game. Those that want a more intelligent realistic/authentic/simulation shooter experience would play ARMA.

If that's true, the why the hell do you need features to encourage people to play like you? If they're all like you already, then it's not a problem, right?

Nice cheery picking there bud. But what I said was “I’d assume that most people that play DayZ are like me and also believe that it needs to be a “gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can.”

Going by this statement I know that at least the devs agree with me, and are working to try and meet this ideal. Currently this game is just basically an “open-world MMO free for all shooter.” This game could be a lot more than that, and I believe the devs are trying to make this game a much more immersive and rewarding experience.

Sorry, but what? How can it be both? If I'm killing people on sight I can't possibly be in a group.

Exactly! How can you form a group in game if most people are killing each other on Sight? So a lot of people who are having a hard time surviving end up organizing a group outside of the game, which of course breaks the immersion and authenticity.

All known issues that will be fixed and having nothing to do with PvP or your silly Goody-Goody Super Psychic Fantastic Zombies idea.

I was just listing the things that go against the goal of DayZ being a: “gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can.” And if these things were balanced/fixed then this game would be so much better.... in my very very humble opinion.

Now check my middle finger and go away Troll.   ^_^

Edited by Rage Infected