mrscratch

Oculus Rift Support?

Doesn't OR need 60 FPS to work properly?

Don't know about you but i struggle to reach those numbers unless i am looking at the sky...i suppose the birds and clouds would look nice.

The idea behind the locked 60fps thing is that when you shift your viewpoint and frames skip/stutter/pause, for some people this can cause a range of feeling from "oh, that doesn't feel very pleasent" to "oh god, someone just teleported a needle into the middle of my brain". For some people it doesn't affect them at all, but consistent frame rate is the key. 60 is just where things get buttery smooth. For me personally 45-59fps is completely bearable, but getting down around 30-35fps input lag just doesn't feel good. 

But there is work being done to make game fps separate from viewpoint fps. Listening to Oculus CEO talk at recent AMD developers conference, they're pushing the idea of having separate rendering pipelines so that the headtracking will always update and keep a consistent 60-90fps but will allow the game world content to lag when things get bogged down. Instead of our brain being forced to endure visual lag, it will just appear that the game world has stalled. Think server lag in DayZ where character models move about a little stuttery crossed with the smearing that those 120hz TVs do. Or when you can still move your mouse around when everything else is completely frozen. That kind of thing.

Not the impression I took from that video at all, 15 mins of harping on about how bad the screen is, but we've already acknowledged that this point is pretty much irrelevant. And the only other issue I hear him talk about is no positional tracking which is also solved.

"I think it's really cool, this is worth supporting. The only thing that is negative about it, is the screen. All the core tech [...] is awesome."

http://youtu.be/NxCWwa7u7uM?t=27m

Indeed. If you check out some of the prototypes Carmack's been working on he has wireless headsets with significantly higher resolution that actually wrap around your eyes (looks sci-fi as hell) instead of resting in front that connect his android. Not that his phone would be strong enough to play some triple A game but still the potential is ridiculous.

Did some experimenting with Vireio Perception and finally got it working on the standalone. Only problem is that gear management is very close to impossible so we're pretty much at the gimmick stage.

Indeed. If you check out some of the prototypes Carmack's been working on he has wireless headsets with significantly higher resolution that actually wrap around your eyes (looks sci-fi as hell) instead of resting in front that connect his android. Not that his phone would be strong enough to play some triple A game but still the potential is ridiculous.

Thank you for the updates, I'll be following the project. I got TrackIR5 for DayZ MOD back in 2012 and have not regretted a second of it, really adds to immersion.

• Like 1

Thank you for the updates, I'll be following the project. I got TrackIR5 for DayZ MOD back in 2012 and have not regretted a second of it, really adds to immersion.

I picked up a TrackIR5 with some money from Christmas. I was told to buy myself something frivolous and fun... so I did. I love it especially in the Mod when dealing with vehicles. 

• Like 1

With the way I got my key layout setup I typically move around with wads/mouse but I got free look bound to a side mouse button so it's awesome running forward and turning my head all the way around to see how far away a zombies chasing me. It's those little things that make it feel so immersive.

With the way I got my key layout setup I typically move around with wads/mouse but I got free look bound to a side mouse button so it's awesome running forward and turning my head all the way around to see how far away a zombies chasing me. It's those little things that make it feel so immersive.

#EnjoyTheLittleThings

Could you post how did you set OR up with all the head tracking & settings (& what is it like when you look through the scope?)? Thanks :)

I used freetrack and some custom 3-point cap for TOH, hope this will get support soon too...
You can do fine with ps3 eye, freetrack and few leds if you dont wanna invest that much. Also I play with 24" full hd screen without issues..

Currently you can setup freetrack to emulate mouse to look around but it just dont work good when you need to do much else with it to.

It gives and it takes... makes "hipfire" harder when your vision is not aligned always (without crosshair).

Edited by Zeppa

#EnjoyTheLittleThings

Could you post how did you set OR up with all the head tracking & settings (& what is it like when you look through the scope?)? Thanks :)

Vireio Perception, running Oculus Rift with Oculus Track on engine 10. Haven't found a scope in the stand alone but I assume it's no different from DayZ mod. You can basically see accurately up to 50-100 meters away from your zoom. I can't do any real long range shots but with a scope I have no issues hitting people 200 meters away. The only real problem with the OR (other then inventory management) is that you feel like a old man having to pull out the binos when someone says "you see that thing right there?".

Edit: Once I figure out the easiest way to enjoy the game with an Oculus I'll be posting up a guide on it everywhere. As soon as you mention Oculus every single big name site swoops down on you like vultures so it shouldn't be that difficult to locate.

Edited by mrscratch

Its in Early Alpha so I doubt it would get support anytime soon.

Im sure it would also put you at an extreme disadvantage with no 3rd Person

dean said he would love to add support for this, if at all possible.

i think it's very likely to be possible, and i have a feeling dean's passion about this wasn't made up,

so we really might see support for this at some point.

although since this game is in the very early stage of open-alpha and the rift is still far from store shelves,

i doubt it will be on high priority.

the rift is a device with the main purpose to give the player a huge boost in immersion.

playing on a server with 3rd person would definetly conflict with that, so play on the proper server,

problem solved.

(i have still some hope dean will remove 3rd completely - DO IT DEAN, I KNOW YOU WANT TO)

Edited by Azrail

Concerning vsync with the Rift: You DO NOT need to have it enabled. And thank the gods because that would make most games unusable.

This IS truly epic Arma 3 VR setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPyqGQYNspk

Absolutely. I'm jealous of setups like this or that one guy with the Omni treadmill thing / oculus / mag2. All I can think about is the newer old Johnny Quest cartoons I used to watch as a child when he used to jump in his virtual reality seat and fight dinosaurs and stuff on hover bikes.

The Rift has enormous potential, but Rocket is going have to decide who he's going to upset as I doubt that the SA game engine (ArmA 2.5?) won't be able to please both the people who want to be able to play the SA with low-end laptops and APUs and those that want the SA to work with the monster GPUs required to feed a 4K Rift..

The Rift has enormous potential, but Rocket is going have to decide who he's going to upset as I doubt that the SA game engine (ArmA 2.5?) won't be able to please both the people who want to be able to play the SA with low-end laptops and APUs and those that want the SA to work with the monster GPUs required to feed a 4K Rift..

I disagree friend. As I mentioned earlier the Oculus is nothing more then an extremely fancy smart phone acting as a monitor. Resolution is independent from player to player, a guy with monster rig using a wall projector at crazy high resolutions is going to have zero effect on a guy with an outdated machine playing on bare minimum settings at a 800x600 resolution (other then the fact that the guy with the rig will see the other guy miles away first).

Basically what I'm saying is that you are posting misinformation as to how things actually work because the situation you are describing already exists ingame. The only guy who takes a hit is the guy with the oculus because he has to render the engine twice at the same time.

I'm not sure what you're on about...

The point I was trying to make is that the SA's engine is going to need some serious tuning before even a monster rig will throw enough frames to feed a 4K Rift.

People with top-end gaming PCs which can play the current AAA titles at 100+ FPS on Ultra settings at 1080p are struggling to get 60+ FPS on High settings with the SA right now which would suggest that even driving a 1080p Rift at a stable and playable framerate might be a struggle.

I'm not sure what you're on about...

The point I was trying to make is that the SA's engine is going to need some serious tuning before even a monster rig will throw enough frames to feed a 4K Rift.

People with top-end gaming PCs which can play the current AAA titles at 100+ FPS on Ultra settings at 1080p are struggling to get 60+ FPS on High settings with the SA right now which would suggest that even driving a 1080p Rift at a stable and playable framerate might be a struggle.

What I was saying is the idea of picking one crowd to please and one crowd to screw makes no sense. It's not a requirement that you have a steady 60fps for an Oculus as it's no different then the monitor in front of you (edit: in terms of function, minus the head tracking of course). Obviously 60fps on high would be the best possible immersive experience in terms of an Oculus or a standard desktop monitor but to suggest that we can only have one or the other is incorrect.

EDIT: Perhaps we're not on the same page here. Rocket is not building a virtual reality zombie apocalypse survival simulator, but they could still add the option to render the game in stereo.

Edited by mrscratch

I have the oculus and would love to see this be supported natively the only real challenge is the UI and moving the status updates from the bottom corner to somewhere closer to middle of the screen, on a 3rd person disabled server this could have great potential.

I have the oculus and would love to see this be supported natively the only real challenge is the UI and moving the status updates from the bottom corner to somewhere closer to middle of the screen, on a 3rd person disabled server this could have great potential.

If you fiddle with the UI size in your settings you can get it in your field of vision but it's a bit difficult to read. Hopefully later down the road when we get proper mod support we can try to assist. However I doubt we'll be able to reach the point of proper stereo rendering without help.

Updated Original Post.

screenshot_1.jpg

So I've been fiddling with Vireio Perception and I've put together a pretty ghetto VR experience using it. Here are the following steps to replicate my setup.

0. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I have no idea if this will trigger a ban, I rolled the dice and if you want to experience this wonder you are going to have to roll the dice as well.

1. Go ingame and turn every setting to the bare minimum. Then go to your user interface video setting and set the size to very large, this will give a more visible center crosshair for quickly picking up easy to see items on the floor.

Note: When I was first experimenting with perception I was consistently crashing out due to some graphics based setting. By turning everything down I was able to get perception to load. You may want to go back and experiment with your graphic settings after you get this running properly to suit your own needs. Be aware however that you may crash at random when changing anything.

2. Go to your keybinds and delete everything that numpad0 is bound to. This button will turn your stereo rendering on and off later so that you can manipulate your inventory. Sometimes you have to push it a couple times to turn stereo rendering off so keep that in mind.

3. Go to your " documents/DayZ Other Profiles/ [YOUR NAME HERE] / " folder and find the [YOUR NAME HERE].dayzprofile file. Open this up in a text editor and look for FOVTOP and FOVLEFT. These are the commands that alter your FOV. For a comfortable rift experience we need to bump the FOV to levels beyond what is capable in the ingame menu to something that our eyes (irl eyes of course) are naturally used to. Be aware however that these settings will cause serious warping when you are looking at your normal monitor and is probably unplayable unless you have your rift headset on. Replace your values with this:

fovTop=1.5599999;
fovLeft=2.77;

4. (this step is not required) Go to your " documents/DayZ " and open up DayZ.cfg. Look for GPU_MaxFramesAhead along with GPU_DetectedFramesAhead. I do not know the mechanics behind these commands as I have not bothered to do any research on them. All I know is that everyone swears that changing these values will increase your FPS. You want the smoothest experience possible with the rift on so it would only make sense to update these values while you are already in the process of altering config files. Replace it with this:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=4;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

5. Download and use this older version of Vireio Perception that I have setup. New versions of Vireio Perception will crash the client. You need this specific version of the outdated Perception in order for it to work.

(Note: This seems to be the cleanest website that offers free hosting provided you do not check the box that says download this with our file manager. If someone would like to rehost this somewhere secure please feel free to reupload it)

6. Copy and paste d3d9/libfreespace from perceptions bin folder into your " steam/steamapps/common/DayZ/ " folder that contains your DayZ.exe file. These are the guys that trigger the stereo effect.

7. If all went well all you need to do now is double click your Perception.exe inside of your perceptions bin folder, make sure you have it set to Oculus Rift and Oculus Track then launch DayZ the way you normally do. Remember that the Mouse Pointer does not render in stereo so your mouse location is absolutely inaccurate when rendering the game in stereo. Press Numpad0 until it disables itself and take your headset off if you need to use anything relating to the graphical user interface. Some options can quickly be manipulated with the arrow keys so if it's something simple it is possible that you can keyboard your way through it.

One last thing, make sure you are running perception when you are running the game. d3d9 and libfreespace will always render your screen in stereo. However it's the perception application itself that blends it into the "3D glasses movie" effect.

• Like 3

New version of Rift with IR head tracking like the Track IR uses and 1080P oled screen.

Just needs separate gama controls and its DayZ ready!

I think I read something recently that the second version requires 85 FPS, while having issues at 60.

Either way, I think I'll just wait until one of the 34" 21:9 displays gets G/Free sync since I doubt DayZ will be able to maintain even 60 FPS without turning all of the settings way down.

60fps or 80fps or 120fps none of that is truly a requirement. They say you want that kind of FPS because you notice FPS drops significantly easier when wearing the headset which is unimmersive. Not to mention people who have not adapted to the headset get motion sickness easier when there is FPS drops. People who come over to my place to test UDK projects I'm working on used to get motion sick after a few minutes of use. Now they can fly around maps using console commands or blow up hundreds of objects at the same time (which causes spikes on my slightly outdated machine) without even breaking a sweat. If you understand the basics of motion sickness (or simulation sickness) you understand that it is heavily dependent of the person in question. I've seen people get really sick off Doom (1, 1990's) on a standard monitor and I've seen others do barrel rolls in a fighter jet with an Oculus no problem.

Anyways point being is that the "FPS Requirement" is not really a requirement. It's more a luxury.

Edited by mrscratch