quobble

Solution for server hopping

Hello fellow survivors!

I was taking a shower when I had the idea about solving the problem with server hopping. I am not talking about the loot hopping, which is for those who dont know what I mean, the process of switching servers to get better loot in areas that are already looted on the last server youve been on, but the problem with players avoiding the encounter with blocked positions.

Lets asume there is a place, where bandits are camping. You want to pass through this area, but there is no other way than the way that the bandits are holding.

You could either fight them off or wait until they go away.

You could also try to sort things out by talking to them, but lets also asume that those bandits will kill you.

Well, there are people that just disconnect from the server, join another one and walk around the bandits.

Then, they will hop back to their old server and kill them from behind.

This also works in buildings and larger structures. You can spawn silently behind the enemy without being much noticed.

Long story short: Server hopping is bad.

Devs wont need many things to solve this.

We have to make a few rules for server connections.

First:

A player can join every server he wants.

If he wants to disconnect or the server restarts, he can just rejoin or play again later.

Second:

If a player is on a server and disconnects AND joins another server afterwards, the first server he was on will be locked for him for a certain amount of time. (lets say 10 minutes f.e.)

He can join any other server as he wishes, but as soon as he joins a new one, the last ones will be locked for him. 

If something is not clear to understand yet, please let me know, I will try to edit my post so you can understand it better.

Greetings,
Quobble

• Like 4

It's a basic solution but it could work. But server hopping for loot is just as bad in my opinion,

I feel like there should be a solution that solves the server hopping problem as a whole.

This issue has been addressed a number of times :/

You raise some interesting points. although i believe the Dev's will come up with some sort of solution..

With somany servers it will never be stopped if you played the mod you would know.

Best solution is do away with barracks and specific spawn locations make it completely random.

The only people who complain about server hopping are those who do it, normal players go ok it's empty move on to next town.

Because of things called barracks there will always be server hopping.

Back in the mod it was easier just empty the rooms run 200m away crouch walk back and the loot respawns.

Besides what you described was ghosting not server hopping a whole different ball game, and yes simple blocked from rejoining the same server for x amount of time is the best solution for ghosting.

Edited by Desryachri

I hope so.

But IMO loot hopping is not so bad, since Rocket said in an intverview that f.e. NVG's will have a limitation SERVERWIDE. that means, there can only be 100 NVG's on ALL servers together.

With somany servers it will never be stopped if you played the mod you would know.

Best solution is do away with barracks and specific spawn locations make it completely random.

The only people who complain about server hopping are those who do it, normal players go ok it's empty move on to next town.

Because of things called barracks there will always be server hopping.

Back in the mod it was easier just empty the rooms run 200m away crouch walk back and the loot respawns.

Besides what you described was ghosting not server hopping a whole different ball game, and yes simple blocked from rejoining the same server for x amount of time is the best solution for ghosting.

Ah^^ I forgot that its called ghosting. Thanks for letting me know that. But although ghosting contains server hopping :)

I hope so.

But IMO loot hopping is not so bad, since Rocket said in an intverview that f.e. NVG's will have a limitation SERVERWIDE. that means, there can only be 100 NVG's on ALL servers together.

So you don't want someone to be able to ghost in behind you but you feel it's ok for you to server hop to get gear? Please go away.

• Like 1

I hope so.

It's an exploit. It's bad.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

So you don't want someone to be able to ghost in behind you but you feel it's ok for you to server hop to get gear? Please go away.

When did I say its okay?

You should learn to read, whether than telling me to "go away". But hey. Its almost christmas. I love you too.

Anyways, if they really add this feature that there is only a certain amount of rare items on all servers together, you wont have to be afraid of server hopping, since the percentage chance of finding that item is equal on every server. 

Also its always dangerous to loot hop, since you can always get killed by people that are looting there already.

There is no other solution except for this one or private hives.

It's an exploit. It's bad.

From what I have seen it is a feature not an exploit, always has been.

I server hop, ban me :) oh wait you can't no one can because yes it pisses people off but it's not breaking any rules :)

• Like 1

From what I have seen it is a feature not an exploit, always has been.

I server hop, ban me :) oh wait you can't no one can because yes it pisses people off but it's not breaking any rules :)

Just because you can't be banned for it yet does not mean that it's not an exploit. I guess you combat log too then, yeah?

Just because you can't be banned for it yet does not mean that it's not an exploit. I guess you combat log too then, yeah?

For someone who is part of the dev team you really are miss informed. Combat log? Nope it's a bug where the game makes the bodies disappear. How can it be an exploit if it is something so fundamentally at the core of the game.. Remove the barracks and randomise the loot spawns simple yet it won't be done.

Guess what I am server hopping right now do you feel angry? I will be server hopping latter as well your welcome to join me? I hear it is an exploit with no consequences.. Wait that makes it a feature dose it not?

For someone who is part of the dev team you really are miss informed. Combat log? Nope it's a bug where the game makes the bodies disappear. How can it be an exploit if it is something so fundamentally at the core of the game.. Remove the barracks and randomise the loot spawns simple yet it won't be done.

Guess what I am server hopping right now do you feel angry? I will be server hopping latter as well your welcome to join me? I hear it is an exploit with no consequences.. Wait that makes it a feature dose it not?

Combat logging is disconnecting while 'in combat', e.g. a player shoots at you and you disconnect. Talk about being misinformed...

And no... An exploit not having consequences does not make it a feature...

• Like 3

Combat logging is disconnecting while 'in combat', e.g. a player shoots at you and you disconnect. Talk about being misinformed...

And no... An exploit not having consequences does not make it a feature...

I am still hopping :)

Congrats. You are the cancer that is eating away at this community.

• Like 2

You actually should get punished for your behavior.

• Like 1

Make players current location enique to each individual server? or would this enable admins and hackers to teleport...

Why don't you just make it that you can only change server once every hour?

what if the server crashes? then you cant play for one hour.

I already posted a solution up there.

You can change server as often as you want but you cant come back for a while.

use the same system a Infestation "warz" do!

you dont have to invent the wheel again!

use the same system a Infestation "warz" do!

you dont have to invent the wheel again!

I stopped playing it. What is the system like?

I hope so.

I don't see how that justifies server hopping for loot

There is no other solution except for this one or private hives.

a timer like you suggest for ghosting would help. at the moment it is very easy and quick to just jump from server to server. anything that would make it less convenient would help