rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2

If its not too much, can bullets be compatible with other guns in the future? I mean I cant use 8rnd. M1014 rounds for a double barrel, even though they're both 12 gauge. Also, it would be nice if I could strip the bullets off of the m240/m249 belts and use them for other guns :/

Other than Ammo problems, the mod is great and I really enjoy it!

The Zeds are killing me through the stairs in apartments. I have now died three or four times from a Zed that appears to be in the stairs (I had good stuff each time) It happened a couple of times in Chorno and in Berezino. This is a unfortunate bug because its not like when they hit you through walls, because at least then you can see them.

If its not too much' date=' can bullets be compatible with other guns in the future? I mean I cant use 8rnd. M1014 rounds for a double barrel, even though they're both 12 gauge. Also, it would be nice if I could strip the bullets off of the m240/m249 belts and use them for other guns :/

Other than Ammo problems, the mod is great and I really enjoy it!

[/quote']

Have you ever tried right clicking the 8rnd. m1014 ammo.

Please reduce the frequency/remove bone breaks from zombie attacks. Teeth and hands don't break legs.

Please reduce the frequency/remove bone breaks from zombie attacks. Teeth and hands don't break legs.

+100 for this!

Broke my bones randomly walking through a flat earlier and then had a zombie run up behind me snap my legs whilst i was crawling, all in the space of 15 minutes. Then only found 1 morphine at the hospital! :dodgy:

I don't mind them breaking rarely, but it has become way too frequent.

- Morphine Auto Injector too hard to find

Hospitals are full of morphine' date=' you know.

[/quote']

Yes, they often have morphine. But you're also often spawned far away from hospitals. And new players who are too dumb to google for a map don't know the locations... they may just wander on a road to go inland and if you're unlucky you won't get a hospital for miles.

For example, when you spawn in Kamenka, you're far away from Cherno AND the town is full of eager bandits ready to kill survivors.

Often, by the time you reach Cherno the water or food icons are already close to red, so it adds to the new player's frustration. Why would player bother when spawned in such place? There's no penalty, he can just respawn somewhere else.

Especially new players who try the game for the first time, don't know how much damage the zeds do so they'll attack them carelessly and there's a high change they'll get broken legs and then just quit frustrated and maybe never try the game again. This is further aggravated by the fact there's no longer any chat, so they could ask questions.

edit: and how would a new player learn the morphine fixes legs? How realistic is that? It's just a painkiller in real world, basically. Change painkillers to "First aid kit" or something like that and it will be more intuitive.

I've played for about 8 hours in this new alpha and while Cherno and Elektro are barren, as you go inland Coke and Pepsi were easy to find (really had no motivation to get water bottle and refill it, they're so easy to get).

BUT the food is much rare, and what I noticed is that the zombies are dropping it more often than I find it on the floors. So get a hatchet and attack lone zeds.

My strategy was basically to have the map on the second monitor open (browser map) and make my way straight to cherno or elektro and get about 4 morphines at least, then search for barns where shotguns are easy to find - they're easier to find than regular pistols or revolvers.

I'd dare to say the hatchet is too good of a weapon now, as I could easily do headshots and not alarm the zeds around me, as I would with guns.

As long as I'm writing a long message... there really should be some more repercussions for bandits - as a survivor there's no benefit for me now to NOT shoot anyone - by the time any side effect of killing survivors takes place, the regular player is already dead from loss of blood or whatever.

Maybe zeds should hear the bandits more easily or "smell" them or somehow dynamically increase the difficulty... like add to that "humanity factor" something that changes to worse for them when they snipe a survivor that's handling just a hatchet (he was no danger)

It would be nice to also know WHO shot you, particularly on Regular servers where you can see their tags if they're on your sight. Could be a nice game mechanic to track and get your revenge on some bandit (if he doesn't disconnect in the meantime and hops on another server).

[/quote']

Yes, they often have morphine. But you're also often spawned far away from hospitals. And new players who are too dumb to google for a map don't know the locations... they may just wander on a road to go inland and if you're unlucky you won't get a hospital for miles.

For example, when you spawn in Kamenka, you're far away from Cherno AND the town is full of eager bandits ready to kill survivors.

Often, by the time you reach Cherno the water or food icons are already close to red, so it adds to the new player's frustration. Why would player bother when spawned in such place? There's no penalty, he can just respawn somewhere else.

Especially new players who try the game for the first time, don't know how much damage the zeds do so they'll attack them carelessly and there's a high change they'll get broken legs and then just quit frustrated and maybe never try the game again. This is further aggravated by the fact there's no longer any chat, so they could ask questions.

edit: and how would a new player learn the morphine fixes legs? How realistic is that? It's just a painkiller in real world, basically. Change painkillers to "First aid kit" or something like that and it will be more intuitive.

I've played for about 8 hours in this new alpha and while Cherno and Elektro are barren, as you go inland Coke and Pepsi were easy to find (really had no motivation to get water bottle and refill it, they're so easy to get).

BUT the food is much rare, and what I noticed is that the zombies are dropping it more often than I find it on the floors. So get a hatchet and attack lone zeds.

My strategy was basically to have the map on the second monitor open (browser map) and make my way straight to cherno or elektro and get about 4 morphines at least, then search for barns where shotguns are easy to find - they're easier to find than regular pistols or revolvers.

I'd dare to say the hatchet is too good of a weapon now, as I could easily do headshots and not alarm the zeds around me, as I would with guns.

As long as I'm writing a long message... there really should be some more repercussions for bandits - as a survivor there's no benefit for me now to NOT shoot anyone - by the time any side effect of killing survivors takes place, the regular player is already dead from loss of blood or whatever.

Maybe zeds should hear the bandits more easily or "smell" them or somehow dynamically increase the difficulty... like add to that "humanity factor" something that changes to worse for them when they snipe a survivor that's handling just a hatchet (he was no danger)

It would be nice to also know WHO shot you, particularly on Regular servers where you can see their tags if they're on your sight. Could be a nice game mechanic to track and get your revenge on some bandit (if he doesn't disconnect in the meantime and hops on another server).

dayzwiki.com

[/quote']

dayzwiki.com

Such an obvious fantard. I have explored a ton of building and have yet to find any morphine. Cities with Hospitals are swarmed with bandits. Get a clue sir, and stop spam posting on the forums.

Havent logged too many hours on this current patch but still have probally 6hours on it and my current thoughts are this:

1) -Spawns are crap im finding Im seeing more trash then I used to

2) -Ive seen very few canfood spawns plenty of canteen/soda however

3)-Fewer Weapon Spawns and more ammo..

4) -Players are more kill on site then ever as soon as they have real gun.. still getting worse I feel Ive even fallen into this category.. no reason to trust anyone and even talking to someone in VOIP they just blast you in the back first chance they get. This is not due to latest patch as its just been growing since removal of bandit system.

4)-Not seeing my temp rise/drop much even in rain not sure what current status is of that?

1) Just to be sure I was seeing the same thing I spent a long time last night checking the bases and camps on different servers. (Not server hopping really as you have to run an awful lot and do a lot of sneaking to check all of them on a server) I can definitely say that the loot spawns are screwy right now. A lot of trash on the Mil bases.. less guns but a whole lot of empty cans/bottles and a little bit of ammo. Even in the apartments and schools/firehouses there is just way more trash now along with flares and chem lights than there were in 1.7.0.

2) Even in cities with stores and restaurants/bars there is very little food spawning. Not as big a problem now that you can hunt decently but I can see it being an issue for respawns.

3) Either one of two things happens, I've noticed, Weapons spawn with no ammo.. and it appears universal across the area you are in. Or you get ammo spawns with no guns around. This means you have to change to a different town/area of the game to match stuff up or server hop.

4) Ever since the bandit skin removal it is just kill anyone you see. You HAVE to if you don't want to lose what progress you have made. There is Almost ZERO cooperation now unless you know the person in real life. I've seen more instances of people luring someone in with a promise of cooperation and then killing them than I did pre- 1.6.0.1. You'll see it with respawns but inevitably someone will kill the person they were working with because that person found an item the other wanted.

After reading the PC Gamer interview with the Dev team I have to wonder how much of this is on purpose. Supposedly they want a spirit of cooperation even with safe zones being built eventually but with the way things are now that will never happen.

Heck.. he introduced Infection to the server because he felt big groups were getting too cocky and wanted to see if illness would break them up. This was stated in the interview. IT is completely counter to trying to promote ANY cooperation because once a group starts working well together something else will be introduced to make stupid to try.

Quote from the interview:

"Buchta:: That’s a less than healthy way to support cooperative gameplay…

Hall: Well, that’s why I introduced it, because there were a few groups that were getting way too cocky. I was like, haha, this is going to nail you. I went a bit overboard, people got too cold too quick.

"

Sorry man but either you want to support cooperative gameplay or you want total anarchy.. you can't really have it both ways. Granted you released it in a too deadly format unintentionally that isn't wnat I'm talking about. I'm talking about your intention to tear those groups apart knowing how problematic the Antibiotic spawn rate was. I was disappointed to read that, really. It seemed kind of spiteful.

[/quote']

yup. everyone knows that. even the bandits. good luck with that!

If you have never played Arma as I'm sure a lot of you haven't you probably have a ton of questions about the interface' date=' gameplay, and many other things! I would like to extend an invitation to my teamspeak3 server where my buddies and I will go over any and all questions you might have. DayZ can be a foreboding place, especially on your own. Once you learn the basics feel free to run off on your own, or you are more than welcome to stick with us. Were a friendly adult group, but we do take the game seriously, and Patience is a serious virtue in this game. So if your interested shoot me a PM and I will be more than happy to send you our TS3 info.

[/quote']

So you'd want:

- Passworded servers.

- Locked servers.

- Kick for whatever you didn't fraps' date=' as they can't proof they got kicked for being killed by the admin.

- Can't proof the admin was the one disconnecting as they, no messages show up in the log as they are disabled.

You call people out for being kids that cry etc, yet I've seen oh so many server hosters that broke the rules, including kicking and even banning me for killing them. I'm sure that's not kiddy at all!

[/quote']

I didn't say that at all. I said that I've never seen a dev team so contemptuous of server admins and guys that shell out cash to host their mod in my life.

Banning and kicking for killing is bullshit, I never said it wasn't.

I said that the general contempt for server admins...and the automatically siding with the players for everything is counter-productive.

Why do anything? It has no effect IRL. Leave it alone. Or make it so there's no birds chirping or whatever' date=' I suppose. That might lend it a creepier atmosphere. But the zombies shouldn't hear better or worse in it, nor should we.

If you want to make it realistic, or even more fun to play, have it depend on the ambient background noise. If there's a car running outside, or wind in trees, or waves crashing, the zeds would be less likely to hear a footstep. IDK how feasible it is.

[/quote']

I actually like your idea, if its possible to do, I totally support your idea.

And new players...

new players will have to learn how to play like everyone else. the important part is learning what types of buildings to look for, and where those buildings are located. I've only been playing for a week (solo the whole time) and have no problem finding food, drink, and guns

What do we want to do with fog folks? +/- the sound you make?

Fog should only affect vision... sound should be the same...

Fog doesn't make more audio or less audio.

I agree, but I wish Rocket would be more clear on what he means.

[NEW] Aubility now dampened in rain and increased by fog

How can fog increase the audiobility ?? What ?

The fog thing sounds really wierd, why would fog amplify sound? Sure, it might seem that way sometimes, but that's a psychological effect, not a real one.

But hey, we're still all running around with fevers that would leave a real human flat on the ground, unable to stand up straight, so...

Decrease the chance of broken legs a bit....

also if you drop the hatchet while you're holding it, it disappears

Good stuff rocket. The alpha has come a long way in the last few updates.

Current wishlist of tweaks and fixes

- Hatchets and Watches far too common.

- Morphine not common enough.

- Leg breaking too common.

- Zombies running/attacking through walls still occurring.

- Zombies do not consider the Z-axis when listening/looking (they can hear/see survivors who are several stories up in a building because they are next to them' date=' even though the survivor is in fact quite high up and at a reasonable distance)

- Tents are still pretty touchy about where you place them, although they are a LOT better.

- Items tend to dissapear when forced out of a bag.

- You cannot physically open your bag unless you are looking at loot or some other storage unit. It merely displays the contents in the list. This is annoying if you need to know how much space is there.

- For larger items can we have some sort of display to indicate how many slots they take before we pick them up?

- Jerry cans, toolboxes, camping tents etc. cannot be placed directly into your bag. You need to pick them up first and then move them. Totally inconvenient.

P.s. I love someones idea to place your primary weapon on your toolbelt rather than your backpack when using melee weapons.[/font']

This post i agree with apart from the things i deleted from it!

and the inventory you can see how much room by the 20/20 but a open bag like with looting would be nice.

and also with morphine i think should be more common in military tents especially the first aid tents

Just now the servers on the US west coast were super-laggy. I had a Lee Enfield, wanted to swap for a Winnie but it wouldn't let me. Also had dropped some bandages temporarily but then it wouldn't let me pick them back up. If I get injured now I'm dead.

Another thing, is there no way to make the hatchet behave more like the pistol in terms of inventory? Having to drop your long weapon every time you want to wield the hatchet as a melee weapon is a pain (and conversely, having to put the thing back in your belt to grab a rifle/shotgun as well).

I say more players, definitely.

As groups coalesce, clans pick their given servers, and build up their base camps, we're gonna see some territorial disputes. That's when things get interesting.

Plus, we have 200km x 200km of space. Right now Cherno / Elektro are always populated, but when that becomes too unstable (and it's about to be), players will start shifting to the eastern shore. Resources -- when spawns are working right -- will be more spread out, and bandits will simultaneously increase as responses to bandits increase.

More players = more interesting.

* [FIXED] Object cleanup causing significant (huge) performance issue on servers (reduced by up to 50%' date=' means more players + zombies possible)

Bring on 75 player servers please!

[/quote']

Really? You actually want more players per server? Not me, I'd prefer less. I run into enough idiots shooting at me on 30 or 40-player servers, why would more be a good thing? I'm being serious, what's the point of even more people running around? Especially when most players gripe about other players enough as it is! :)

I get on a server with only 10 to 15 people and it's relative peace and quiet and I can actually loot and survive a bit and not run into a bunch of idiot yahoos around every freakin' corner. I get on a full, well-populated server with 30 or 40 people or more and I'm suddenly getting shot at (and sniped at) nearly everywhere I go, or run over by cars! Maybe it's just me, but no thanks to that noise.

I think morphine spawns/rates are fine, it is just that leg breaking is too common that this issue arises.

I'm extremely happy with the way things are now.

I would love to see zombies investigate noise instead of being agro'd on me when I make noise, and there are a few other minor "mood" things that I would like to see, but the way things are now is a nice start.

The main things bothering me right now are when I try to put something in my bag when I don't have enough room, dropping all my ammo when I pick up a belt item and having to switch out my gun/hatchet instead of my gun moving to the belt when I switch to my hatchet/crowbar.

Other than that, things are really progressing nicely!

Loving the changes, keep up the amazing work Rocket! :D