Sign in to follow this  
pacoarizasystem

Why no warning on server restart?

Today I thought that I would like to hide and storage my food and things in a bush with other friends to prevent losing them and going loot more, but then I noticed that if I did that, the server could restart and I'd lose everything. Couldn't the server hosts say at least "Server will restart in 10 minutes"? Things you drop on the floor wont be safe if you don't know when the server will restart.

Another thing that comes out from here is this: In a future you will be able to craft some defenses to protect your place (or that's what I've read around internet) and will be able to have a vehicle to hide in that base. With the server restart will all your work (defenses, loot stored, vehicles, other things that you can't hold with you in that moment) disappear?

Thank you!  :thumbsup:

Edited by pacoarizasystem

Another thing that comes out from here is this: In a future you will be able to craft some defenses to protect your place (or that's what I've read around internet) and will be able to have a vehicle to hide in that base. With the server restart will all your work (defenses, loot stored, vehicles, other things that you can't hold with you in that moment) disappear?

god sake i hope it doesent , cant wait for a stored place or something :) but in the start i guesses since its alpha it will disapear..

hey man, restart warnings don't happen IRL!

jk :P I would like to see this too. I always get a bit nervous when the server restarts, cause at first I think something happened and all the servers are down lol.

They should put a built in timer count down so when you click to restart the server. The server sends messages to all the players that the server will be restarted in x Amount of time

• Like 1

Anytime I am on my server, I always announce at least a ten minute warning over global after logging in as admin!

Had a few thanks from randoms in direct after meeting up with them, at least it is appeciated!

• Like 1

Anytime I am on my server, I always announce at least a ten minute warning over global after logging in as admin!

Had a few thanks from randoms in direct after meeting up with them, at least it is appeciated!

^This

Although, we really do need some kind of RCon or scheduling system for messaging like BEC or the like. I'm hoping the next patch that includes reserved slots and other Admin goodies has at least the ability for MOTD's.

This feature could and should be implemented right now.  However, it lies in the server hoster's hands to create the scripts to do this.  I highly doubt Rocket and Co. will be taking the time to develop those sorts of things as it is a server run feature.  They merely need to implement the ability to write global messages, which is already in place if you are logged in as Admin as some have said above.  We try to do this on our server, however we have scheduled restarts so unless we are paying close attention and logged on, we may miss the incoming restart and not give warning in time.

We need to be asking our server hosts to add a warning system into our restart scheduler.  All it needs to do is "message" all players in global chat that a restart is incoming.  It could be developed to match the MOD's restarter's and actually give a timer that counts down saying 5 min, 4,3,2,1, restart.  It's just going to take time for them to develop the scripts, and depending on what is on their priority list, this may happen soon, or it may happen later.  

Rocket and Co. could probably make this feature easier for them to do, but again, it all depends on what the priorities are right now.  And I think most priorities are on stopping hacking and fixing bugs.  New features will be slower to roll out than bug fixes I would I think, but we'll see.

Damn, I just lost a mosin and M4 and ammo box because the server rebooted...

Put the mosin down to swap with the M4, couldn't pick up the mosin, not showing on inv, not showing on mouse over.

Put the M4 down, confirmed I could pick it up, went back to pick up the mosin first, still couldn't pick it up, dropped the ammo box next to the mosin, couldn't pick up the ammo box either....

Yellow link icon, arrrg... go to pick up the M4 quick, red link icon arrrrg!!!...

mosin with long scope, supressorand stand, M4 with MP etc, all pristine, camod aswell....

Sigh, another few GB of my quota to hunt down all those bits again.

It would be nice. The only thing I don't like with server restarts is that it takes 13-14 seconds for you to get the message. That means anything you found in that period isn't in your possession any more.

And another thing is when you are in high PvP areas (jails, barracks, nwaf etc) and get disconnected because server restart. Forcing you to hop on a lower server to change location because, who wants to be killed when spawning in?

This is why I do not climb ladders ATM.

Do you fall if you spawn in while being on a ladder? 
Edited by Danlow

Gamingdeluxe servers have the extended BEC controls and by default have a 5 & 1 minute warning before restart.

Restarts are tricky - part of the reason I rarely carry two primaries. Lost a pristine mosin/LRS setup while eating and that was that....

From what I gather persistent storage is in the works and will initially take the form of being able to drop backpacks on the ground with goodies inside and they will survive restarts.  For an initial step I am rather content with this and am hoping it will be a long long time before they allow the storage of primary weapons, cos that will mess shit up right there.

Since I tend to play in a handful of the same servers all the time that are daytime-only and follow a schedule, it's pretty easy for me to tell when the server is going to reset either by looking at the time before I join (and estimating) or by taking a look at the position of the sun in the sky. I agree that it would be nice to have a more formal warning, but there are ways to tell if you play consistently.

Neither does respawning.

That you tell someone believes in religion such as buddhism!