Karmaterror

Sooo 5 Million in first 24 hours..

Was good to hear that Dayz pre alpha was such a success. But what will this cash injection actually mean for the project? Will it mean more staff to help advance quicker, or will that be a lot of marketing cash for further towards the game actually coming out?

This thread is to speculate, discuss and share info you have found about it. Maybe even a dev response :)

Hey guys, remember the last time we had speculation?

photo.jpg 

Edited by GOD™

Good question!

Rocket/Dev team we require an answer :D

Hush now. He's busy.

scarface-coke-scene-o.gif

• Like 1

Hey guys, remember the last time we had speculation?

rhinocrunch.png

Oh dear GOD, please don't make this a rhinoCRUNCH topic.

Oh dear GOD, please don't make this a rhinoCRUNCH topic.

Juuuust a reminder.

5 milion? Could i get a source?

My guess is he got it from here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130679-DayZ-Alpha-Sells-172K-in-Its-First-Day

An article isn't really a source though so my guess is that people have just multiplied the number of unique players with the price and subtracted the cut Valve takes. Speculations really. :)

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 1

Almost 324K survivors already. Not bad start.

I don't know where the 5million figure came from it's ceratinly not players :/

324k players X $30 =9,720,000        <<<< That is not a bad Gross profit

So as mentioned before where is all that money going???

I think we as the supporters of this great game have a right to know....

My guess is he got it from here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130679-DayZ-Alpha-Sells-172K-in-Its-First-Day

An article isn't really a source though so my guess is that people have just multiplied the number of unique players with the price and subtracted the cut Valve takes. Speculations really. :)

Oh, right, i forgot to use math :/

Thanks mate :)

all those millions mean millions of canned beans

I don't know where the 5million figure came from it's ceratinly not players :/

324k players X $30 =9,720,000        <<<< That is not a bad Gross profit

I think we as the supporters of this great game have a right to know....

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/18/5224302/dayz-launch-day-172k-copies-5-17m-sales

http://maruksp.tumblr.com/post/70324805302/first-day-of-dayz-alpha-hours-passed-24

The copies sold seems to be even bit bigger than the amount of survivors in the first page.

Seems like they've just multiplied the amount of sold with $30.

As long as they keep developing the game, I couldn't care less what they spend their money on.

Edited by bad_mojo

Well here is the thing. They got a cash injection now. And it will fund development since BI would be insane to cancel a game that made 10mil$ in alpha. So pretty sure we will see a endgame :D :D :D

On the otherhand. Its BI's money now. And they are not obligated to invest further into this project.

But as i said. They made alot more money of arma 2 thanks to dean. So end game i belive is guaaranteed

Paying salaries. Paying office rent. Electricity. Valve gets a cut.

This is a really good article about how games cost a lot more to create than most understand, more specifically in this case why a new character in the game Skullgirls (a 2D game) needed 100 000 dollars to be made: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-little-fighting-game-that-could/1100-4587/

From the article:

• $48,000: Staff Salaries - 8 people for 10 weeks
  • $30,000: Animation and Clean-up Contracting
  • $4,000: Voice recording
  • $2,000: Hit-box Contracting
  • $5,000: Audio Implementation Contracting
  • $20,000: QA Testing
  • $10,000: 1st Party Certification
  • $10,500: IndieGoGo and Payment Processing Fees
  • $20,500: Manufacturing and Shipping Physical Rewards

(that's just ONE new character!)

Obviously this isn't the case with all games but it gives a good idea that just because you make lots of money off sales you don't neccessarily make a huge profit. Think of all the time that has passed without any income from DayZ, and the time that is yet to come!

EDIT: But most importantly lambos and herpes of course.

Edited by Terrorviktor

The think most people don't understand is how a simple feature could be very expensive to develop. I remember in Path of Exile, there were 1000$ donation pack, and if you donated that much you would get to make and name a unique item in the game. The thing is, that 1k$ didn't cover the expenses for making that item most of the time.

DayZ did get a cash injection, but i don't think it would be enough to develop the whole game

I have an understanding to some extent of what it costs to develop a game it is not cheat at all...

Although i strong believe these makers of SA will get their moneys worth..

There at 9m already i have no idea how much this game cost to make all up.. But i believe there profit margin will be enormous....

Give it time i guess and we will see where it goes :D

I think it's going to be just fine :)

Rocket and the crew developed the mod in their own expense for a long time, and they didn't even accept donations. I'm serious, so many people wanted to donate to support it, and i vividly remember seing a thread about it on this forum that Rocket commented he won't accept any kind of a donation.

They have Bohemia support for the standalone as far as i know so it's going to be fine

I guess sitting on their yachts int he caribbean snorting cocaine from the buttcracks of morrocan schooolboys . . . ;p 

I guess sitting on their yachts int he caribbean snorting cocaine from the buttcracks of morrocan schooolboys . . . ;p 

Hm, where is that Rocket comment about spending the money on hookers and cocaine....

This is a concern with kickerstarter-like projects, the devs could do a sloppy job, or as BI runs things, they could take the money and not spend it on the actual game

I find this interesting and would love to know if the extra money (or a percentage) goes to further development or if the game has predetermined funds to the project by bohemia; meaning all money would be perceived as just profit and goes to CEO's pockets and fancy lunches but this i'm 100% we will never ever know.

Anyone saying that because they bought the game they have a right to know.. shut up, no you do not have any right to know anything i hate that weak entitled mentality, i'm surprised you know how to breath so shhhh just be quiet as logic is not your strong suit :)

• Like 1

While this will no doubt lead to more resources available for development in the short term, it reinforces that Dayz in a viable long term project. So in answer to the OP, it no doubt means a better end product. However, huge amounts of the cash goes into the companies/employees pockets. In the real world, people go to work for the purpose of profit....