Psychobob

Some Suggestions

1. Equipped weapon melee!

It just sucks having someone at gunpoint and knowing you have to switch to a melee weapon or fists before you can knock them out or even the handcuffs before you can detain them. That one little moment could cause you to lose control of the situation and end up with you being force fed disinfectant spray and/or dead. Also, If you melee with a weapon there could even be a chance to break the stock or some other part on the weapon. 

2. ArmA 3 Stand Animations!

This one is pretty self explanatory but I'll just leave this here for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C78KrLeMnu4

Unfortunately he doesn't mention the side-step animations that also exist, but I'm sure you get the idea.

3. Supply Collection / Modular Base Building!

Of all the mod variations, I have to say Epoch had the most well developed base building system(I believe there was another with a really similar system but I can't remember the name of it). I'd say it's an ideal place to start and beginning improving from. Nothing says accomplishment like collecting a massive amount of base building materials and forging a base from nothing with your bare hands, either from scratch or by using some of the existing architecture in the world. It practically makes my mouth water when I picture this system improved and then combined with the ability to enter 99.9% of the buildings in DayZ Standalone.

I would just leave out things such as they key-code locked safe they have. Item lose is and should remain part of DayZ but that doesn't mean it should be easy....In-fact you could keep something such as the safe if you implemented a way to crack it other than spending the rest of eternity trying to guess combinations.

I would also leave out the merchants that Epoch has, trading and item value should be completely player driver and based on barter.

Here is a pretty good example as to how it works in DayZ Epoch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvBXXwX_pm4

4. Player to Player Trade UI and "Mark" friendly players!

There should really be a way of initiating a trade with other players that is complete with an actual UI. This would be a huge improvement over having to throw items on the ground to trade, which just seems weird to be honest. I would say your hands have to be empty and you can't have your fists raised to be able to access the trade UI.

It would also be nice to be able to mark other players as friendly. It wouldn't add any sort of UI or make them easier to tell apart from anyone else. All it would do is allow players who trust eachother to more quickly trade with eachother without the need for the trade UI or dropping of items. Just like with the trade UI, I would say your hands would need to be empty and your fists lowered, this would allow the option to pop up in the in-game scroll menu, and again, for it to work, both people have to "Befriend" eachother.

Say I meet my friend in game. I look at him and use the in-game scroll menu to select "Befriend" or something of the sort. If he does the same then we're marked as friendly. I can then enter his backpack or he can enter mine and looting it is similar to how it worked in the mod. That way I could give him food, drink or meds without having to force feed him. I could give him ammo or take ammo I need if we were in the middle of a gunfight. You could even have someone refilling your weapon's magazines so you didn't have to take your eyes off a crucial target!

5. Weapon scopes usable as Binoculars!

We should be able to hold weapon optics in our hands and use them!

6. Noise-Makers!

Find some firecrackers+matches, glass bottles or perhaps...flashbang grenades and be able to toss/place them somewhere to lure in the infected.  I just can't stop picturing a nice surprise for server hoppers when they spawn into a small barracks room filled with infected. Reminds me of the good ol' days of seeing a server hopper spawn onto a tank trap.

7. Ruined Item Drawbacks!

I know some ruined items have drawbacks already and most are pretty obvious/common sense but here are some others to consider.

-Ruined Clothes/Backpacks: fairly high chance to fall off and be on the ground, high chance for things to fall out of the pockets fairly high chance for both to happen at the same time. You would have to stop to pick them back and put items back into the pockets.

-Ruined Canned Food: Filled with shards of metal from the can. Fairly high chance to make you bleed from the mouth, unable to be stopped with bandages but stops bleeding on it's own after a very short amount of time. High chance of making you sick and antibiotics could counter it as per the norm.

-Ruined Magazines/Ammo: When loaded into a weapon and fired they have an extremely high chance of causing the weapon to jam.

-Ruined Bandaged: Very high chance to NOT stop the bleeding.

8. UI/Overlays for Different Headgear!

If you're wearing something such as a motorcycle helmet or gas mask, there should be an overlay on the screen to show it. Think of it as how the nightvision works in the mod.

9. Infected hordes and stragglers!

I was up north earlier(Which looks absolutely gorgeous) and I found the lack of zombies a bit saddening. There are a lot of areas with really dense trees right along side the road and I just kept thinking how awesome it would be to all the sudden have a group of 10+ infected pop out of them because they heard my footsteps from just out of sight. It'd also be nice to have random single zombies out in the middle of nowhere as well. I know the zombie count is a massive work in progress but this is something to keep in mind!

10. Separate characters for each server... or something!

I just like that feeling of having a "Home" server. When you can join any server that feeling is gone. Perhaps there is a way to have a unique ID for your character that is stored somewhere safe that tells the main hive what gear to give your character for whichever server you join? I dunno, I'm certainly no programmer but there must be a way to do it without storing massive amounts of data for each player. Just tossing out ideas!

11. Don't add helicopters!

I absolutely love flying helicopters in the DayZ Mod and ArmA. I really think they shouldn't be added, at all, to Standalone. In the mod they always made camps pointless. Players in a chopper could find every camp on the server in a single day. I just don't want to see all the amazing camp/base locations I've found made obsolete because of an un-needed flying vehicle. I'm all for having nearly any type of ground vehicle.

However - If we have the means of making our camps and vehicles so well camouflaged that they are able to be hidden from a chopper that is flying low and specifically looking for camps, I'd be fine with them being added.

12. Remove third person!

Usually I'm all about choice but on this topic I don't think there should be one. Third person gives all players and a godly advantage over all other players... but not at the same time. A person peeking around a corner with third person will kill the player approaching the corner 99/100+ times. Third person makes it MUCH easier to spot other players at a distance. It allows you to see over, around and even through walls, doors, windows, grass, bushes, trees and hills. It's much easier to aim using third person and a crosshair than first person. It removes the sense of fear and confusion almost completely. I'm sure I will eventually be able to choose between a first and third person server but that doesn't solve the problem. The first person servers will always be near empty or the owner won't continue to pay for them for long periods of time from lack of players and donations. Also, everyone who enjoys playing first person only has at least one friend who doesn't want to play first person, someone losses every time you play together.

The number one reason it should be removed is because doing so makes the game more balanced for everyone. It removes the ability to have an unequal, nearly unbeatable, advantage from every player which is a very good thing.

Honestly, it goes against the entire point of the mod... hardcore, unforgiving survival where risk and fear of death are constant companions. This just isn't the case when you've got third person. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTcdva-HzSs

I'm fine with having third person in during Alpha/Beta for testing purposes but it has no place in the final game for sure.

13. No Private Hives / Minimum server owner control!

The server admins shouldn't be able to change the settings for the game. Especially when their settings effect every other server. If they add private hive servers with custom settings then then game will just devolve into what the mods are now... a whole lot of garbage with a few good features. All they should be able to do is manage the players on the server. They shouldn't be able to lock servers and if they just ban everyone who joins so they can play alone, their server should be removed from the list.

If you think that sounds cruel then you're wrong. All it's doing is stopping players from giving themselves an advantage. If you think that's a bad thing then it's the exact same thing as saying hacking isn't a bad thing.

I know many of these have been suggested to death, it just goes to show how important they are and it's always worth mentioning them again. I'll be back to update as my friends and I think of more ideas!

Edited by Psychobob
  • Like 3

5. Don't add helicopters!

6. Remove third person!

No. Leave now.

Third person irks me and I never use it but it would be tough to just take it away considering so many people prefer it.. Wasn't there talk of first person only servers eventually ?

Third person irks me and I never use it but it would be tough to just take it away considering so many people prefer it.. Wasn't there talk of first person only servers eventually ?

Rocket said that he would never get rid of 3rd person due to the only being able to see oh so much in first person. Hense why 3rd person is still here because it shows as much as a normal person would.

I use 1st and 3rd toggle, it's great, because sometimes you have to look at your compass!

Edited by iDash
  • Like 1

There probably will be first person servers eventually but that doesn't solve the issue.

Yes the majority wants third person but they don't need it to play the game. Removing it wouldn't break the game, it would make it better for everyone. Most people would complain but they would play anyway. Anyone who doesn't, oh well. I doubt they would even be required to return people's money who didn't like the change but I think they could and it wouldn't hurt the profits at all regardless.

Rocket said that he would never get rid of 3rd person due to the only being able to see oh so much in first person. Hense why 3rd person is still here because it shows as much as a normal person would.

I read in an interview (today I think) that he was thinking about making an "Extreme" difficulty with less loot spawns and only first person perspective. On normal/veteran difficulties I guess you are right though.

Link or stop spreading rumors.

3. Infected hordes and stragglers!

I was up north earlier(Which looks absolutely gorgeous) and I found the lack of zombies a bit saddening. There are a lot of areas with really dense trees right along side the road and I just kept thinking how awesome it would be to all the sudden have a group of 10+ infected pop out of them because they heard my footsteps from just out of sight. It'd also be nice to have random single zombies out in the middle of nowhere as well. I know the zombie count is a massive work in progress but this is something to keep in mind!

A lot of the stuff you're asking about is still being worked on, such as the zombies.  At the moment, no real hordes due to too many zombies causing server issues.

I'm pretty sure as development progresses, there will be hardcore servers and no-3rd person options for server hosts who want it.

I'm pretty sure as development progresses, there will be hardcore servers and no-3rd person options for server hosts who want it.

This isn't a solution for the problem.

This isn't a solution for the problem.

Well, if "Removing it wouldn't break the game" then not removing it wouldn't break the game either.  Let the server hosts decide if they want 3rd person or not.  They're paying for it.  I know what you're saying from a purist standpoint but that's what hardcore/3rd person disabled server are for.  Why should DayZ have less options?

The third person feature is there to help with "peripheral vision". While being able to see behind you or around corners is a major draw back, so is not being able to see things to your sides with out turning your head every which way. If third person is such a big problem, find a first person only server and bam, no longer a problem.

For helicopters, I kind of have to agree. I hate when I set up a nice place and I hear a helo fly over and I have to cower in fear in hopes they won't come mow me down. Perhaps a fix would be to make it a rare item. I believe at one point Rocket said that there were certain items that had a certain amount of them spread through out the entirety of the servers, so some servers might never have one at all. Or even have servers that "ban" them. Personally I find them to be good transport, but I wouldn't mind having only cars and trucks. Perhaps taking the mounted MG's away might help.

I dont agree with removing the choppers.. that is an experience in itself 2 encounter 1... hearing a chopper, especially at night made me and my friends shit ourselves many a time (any vehicle 4 that matter).. imagine if you could equip a search light 2 a chopper !! FWWARK... but I do agree with removing 3rd person view.. its such hot topic for dayz but I'm for it.. and don't get me wrong, I agree as much with the next person that it feels right 2 have 3rd person but I think it hinters what this game is about tbh !!! not being able to see over walls and such should be apart of the experience .. relying on sight and sound without a 3rd person godish perspective view goes hand in hand with this game in my opinion.. I have read posts in the past that players deem 3rd person as a kind of "perception" or environment understanding perspective as you arent actually in the" now" of the game itself.. which makes perfect sense but shit I just think viewing the world from 1st person eyes is how it should be! 

Well, if "Removing it wouldn't break the game" then not removing it wouldn't break the game either.  Let the server hosts decide if they want 3rd person or not.  They're paying for it.  I know what you're saying from a purist standpoint but that's what hardcore/3rd person disabled server are for.  Why should DayZ have less options?

No, having it in-game is what breaks the game. There shouldn't be third person because that is the better choice. Nobody should have an advantage over anyone else and that's all third person really gives people. There is no actual need to have third person and not having it makes a more balanced game for everyone.

The server admins shouldn't be able to change the settings for the game. Especially when their settings effect every other server. If they add private hive servers with custom settings then then game will just devolve into what the mods are now... a whole lot of garbage with a few good features. All they should be able to do is manage the players on the server. They shouldn't be able to lock servers and if they just ban everyone who joins so they can play alone, their server should be removed from the list.

If you think that sounds cruel then you're wrong. All it's doing is stopping players from giving themselves an advantage. If you think that's a bad thing then it's the exact same thing as saying hacking isn't a bad thing.

I dont agree with removing the choppers.. that is an experience in itself 2 encounter 1... hearing a chopper, especially at night made me and my friends shit ourselves many a time (any vehicle 4 that matter).. imagine if you could equip a search light 2 a chopper !! FWWARK... but I do agree with removing 3rd person view.. its such hot topic for dayz but I'm for it.. and don't get me wrong, I agree as much with the next person that it feels right 2 have 3rd person but I think it hinters what this game is about tbh !!! not being able to see over walls and such should be apart of the experience .. relying on sight and sound without a 3rd person godish perspective view goes hand in hand with this game in my opinion.. I have read posts in the past that players deem 3rd person as a kind of "perception" or environment understanding perspective as you arent actually in the" now" of the game itself.. which makes perfect sense but shit I just think viewing the world from 1st person eyes is how it should be! 

I've also had loads of fun with the choppers, I just don't think they're beneficial to the game as a whole. They make a few good experiences but overall they just destroy the gameplay. IF camps can be so well hidden / camouflaged that they aren't easily spotted from a low flying chopper scanning the forests with a fine tooth comb, then I'm fine with having them added. As of the start of the mod helicopters have made camps almost completely pointless. They would have to add in a lot of very in-depth items which allow you to re-color or cover up vehicles and tents/bases. Otherwise adding choppers would just mean everyday your camp is raided and all your items are gone... unless you're the one with the chopper.

The third person feature is there to help with "peripheral vision". While being able to see behind you or around corners is a major draw back, so is not being able to see things to your sides with out turning your head every which way. If third person is such a big problem, find a first person only server and bam, no longer a problem.

For helicopters, I kind of have to agree. I hate when I set up a nice place and I hear a helo fly over and I have to cower in fear in hopes they won't come mow me down. Perhaps a fix would be to make it a rare item. I believe at one point Rocket said that there were certain items that had a certain amount of them spread through out the entirety of the servers, so some servers might never have one at all. Or even have servers that "ban" them. Personally I find them to be good transport, but I wouldn't mind having only cars and trucks. Perhaps taking the mounted MG's away might help.

Finding a first person only server isn't a solution for the problem. It's just an increase in problems.

There is a FOV slider in the options so peripheral vision isn't an an excuse for third person anymore. I'm only at like 1/3 of the maximum and I have no trouble being situationally aware. They could just lock everyone to a certian FOV and then we're all on completely equal ground. Either way, everyone has the same FOV slider so nobody can gain an advantage. There is no actual benefit to having third person other than the godly advantage that it gives you.

I'd be fine with them adding choppers if they give us the tools to make our camps look like part of the forest or where ever you decide to build it. It'd take loads of work but it can be done. As of now, choppers aren't beneficial to the mod. They just take a lot of the fun out of having a camp.

Remove thrid person is great for the game feeling at all.

An idea for adding choppers:

Add choppers but hold an amount limit of 1 or 2, make them realy realy hard to repair (rare reapir parts like main rotor -> Split the item) so most people dont try to begin it. Add a kind of skill system for vehicles (not sure if it is a good idea) but it is an idea.

Greetings

ReDim42

there will be servers for 1st person and third so you will be able to pick n choose, I understand the bullshitery of third and want to try more firstperson. helicopters yeah they are not needed at all, I mean maybe it would be cool to have super rare ones but I mean super rare rare rare ya know and not op with guns just for transport and maybe you can shoot your handgun from the side passenger seats or something.

The character per server thing is silly I must say, just rejoin the same server then. what if a server goes down that you play on a lot then well great your home is lost and with base building, stashes and vehicles in the future updates you will return to the same server unless you loose everything.

And your other ideas I think are cool.

The third person feature is there to help with "peripheral vision". While being able to see behind you or around corners is a major draw back, so is not being able to see things to your sides with out turning your head every which way.

See, this argument for 3rd person always kind of bothers me, because you can get your 1st person FOV really high in this game. Plenty of people still use the standard FOV when playing DayZ, and you can easily get a 1st person FOV that is much higher than the default 3rd person FOV. Oh well, at least I don't see people complaining about head bob anymore.

And to people saying that server owners should have as many options as they want, don't you think it's a good thing that 97% of the servers aren't "10,000 vehicles start with guns daylight 24/7" anymore? Just before SA I actually had a really hard time finding any server that wasn't like that. It may be their own server, but giving people too much freedom just means that they're going to go for the lowest common denominator, and make DayZ into something that it's not. I certainly hope that doesn't happen to the standalone as well.

Anyways, since we are able to have only one or two items across all servers now, I think there should be a very small amount of news choppers, but completely wrecked. I imagine all of the ones in working order would have already left Chernarus.

• Like 1

Some people may not realise that the 1st person and 3rd person view along with the FOV slider enables some people to actually be able to play the game in comfort

not everyone has perfect vision and limits on setting up how individuals can view the world can actually result in people getting motion sickness and headaches or limits to the duration that they can actually play before they get those symptoms

if people want to play on a 1st person only server then thats fine but not everyone can

but other than that i like most of your ideas

there will be servers for 1st person and third so you will be able to pick n choose, I understand the bullshitery of third and want to try more firstperson. helicopters yeah they are not needed at all, I mean maybe it would be cool to have super rare ones but I mean super rare rare rare ya know and not op with guns just for transport and maybe you can shoot your handgun from the side passenger seats or something.

The character per server thing is silly I must say, just rejoin the same server then. what if a server goes down that you play on a lot then well great your home is lost and with base building, stashes and vehicles in the future updates you will return to the same server unless you loose everything.

And your other ideas I think are cool.

Finding a first person server doesn't solve the issue. It just creates more problems.

I'd be find with adding helicopters if it were possible to truly camouflage your camp so they couldn't just be found in a single day by players in the chopper, like it is in the mod.

If the server goes down then that's what happens and you've got to start over. This is already an issues with first person only servers for the mod. Players ghosting, combat logging and server hopping are all much worse things that happen without separate characters.