.VincenT.

Sniper Rifles

actually its not, the mil/police variants of the rim 700 include things like upgrades to barrel thickness which would increase accuracy, longer barrels/higher powered sights, and capability to fire different ammo types than the civilian version does. Theres a reason they call them police/mil variants and your avg joe cant go pick them up but yeah this is rather pointless again since Standalone isnt milsim, and its not going to be. 

Edited by Sickerthansars

If you want to be like Simo Häyhä you'll lose the scope. He only used iron sights. ;)

Didn't say I wanted to be like him, just that it's still a proper weapon to smoke some dudes with.

:D

I'm not a proper badass like he was... I'll take teh scope, plox.

CZ should still be in the SA, spawning at civilians like barns or homes

This is not a military sim? Well there are military bases with military structures, so it´s logical that one will find weapons like DMR or M24 there.. even M107s and AS50's yeah lol, but I think M24 and DMR should be all you could find besides the CZ and mosin + scope.. also very rare! like, as rare as svd camo is in the mod.

CZ should still be in the SA, spawning at civilians like barns or homes

This is not a military sim? Well there are military bases with military structures, so it´s logical that one will find weapons like DMR or M24 there.. even M107s and AS50's yeah lol, but I think M24 and DMR should be all you could find besides the CZ and mosin + scope.. also very rare! like, as rare as svd camo is in the mod.

Why would an Eastern European military base, particularly a small one, have high-end western/NATO weapons such as the AS50 or even an M24? It's more likely they'd have SVDs at most on their bases considering what they were dealing with and the quality of their bases.

Similar logic dictates I'd find M16s at every Russian base I stop by and LA85s in China.

Edited by Diggydug

if Vasily Zaytsev can kill hundreds of Nazis with his standard issue Mosin, so can you!

Sorry, but Nazis aren't confirmed in the game yet.  :(

• Like 1

Isn't getting upset over anything not being added rather stupid at this point since Rocket said you were going to be able to mod SA?  Or did I completely hear that wrong? If I didn't then holy crap quit crying I'm sure it will be in some "mod" eventually.

Why would an Eastern European military base, particularly a small one, have high-end western/NATO weapons such as the AS50 or even an M24? It's more likely they'd have SVDs at most on their bases considering what they were dealing with and the quality of their bases.

Similar logic dictates I'd find M16s at every Russian base I stop by and LA85s in China.

Sorry to push this up again, but then let it be svd and KSVK. Not gonna stop the fact of kids whining its not a military sim.

Finding $15,000 anti-materiel rifles all over the place and actually choosing to take them is just not something that you'd see much of in the zombie apocalypse, particularly some Russian countryside. 

If DayZ moves in the direction Rocket has been talking about then the .22 rifles will become very important. 

Post apocalypse, the food will run out sooner or later but .22 rounds are laying about in the millions.  The rifles are everywhere as well in the countryside.

When canned beans are hard to find in the final release and hunting and cooking rabbits and pigs are what gets you by in the camp you set up, the .22 will be vital so as not to waste the very precious 5.56 magazine or two you may have and need to conserve because higher caliber rounds will be rare.

All of the suggestions for larger and more varied "military style" rifles don't really go with the spirit of DayZ that Dean "Rocket" Hall has been talking about.  Arma 2 and Arma 3 already has ALL of that, and Arma3 has the Wasteland mod which is exactly what some of you are suggesting.  Go try that, it is not DayZ and Dayz should not be that.

Edited by Slyder73

Sorry to push this up again, but then let it be svd and KSVK. Not gonna stop the fact of kids whining its not a military sim.

Why do you want anti-material rifles so bad?

KSVK would make more sense, but it's still bad gameplay wise (imo) and such a crazy thing to have just lying around lil' ol' Chernarus. I personally don't want it or see why it would be in the game, but if it happened my jimmies wouldn't be as rustled as if the AS50 were added.

Why do you want anti-material rifles so bad?

KSVK would make more sense, but it's still bad gameplay wise (imo) and such a crazy thing to have just lying around lil' ol' Chernarus. I personally don't want it or see why it would be in the game, but if it happened my jimmies wouldn't be as rustled as if the AS50 were added.

The ksvk would work but the problem lies in how the 50 cals and sniper rifles were implemented in the mod.

firing for the shoulder should not be an option, having one should slow you down and cause higher eating and thirst.

The gun should require you to fire it from prone with the bipod deployed.

Biggest problem is how crappy the sniping is in the mod and vanilla arma.

elevation adjustments by 100s of meters is so dumb and easy.

Only weapons that have such type of adjustments should have it typically only russian weapons do and even then its very crude and usually they dont hit where the optic says it should.

Game needs a more precise way to adjust for elevation an moa or mrad adjustment method.

I've been in the military for some time, I've yet to see a military grade .50cal rifle (not the m2) in person, I've been in dozens of bases across 2 continents and have walked in most of their armories. 

An anti material rifle is only "issued" to a very select group with a lot of training. I would also imagine the people you'd find carrying though would not be just chilling in a small military outpost. 

Also, whether something is "realistic" or not shouldn't apply to the game when it was an item that clearly helped ruin the mod. Being able to shoot someone in his pinky toe and watch him keel over was stupid. At least using something like a DMR or M24 required either a headshot or the ability to land a quick followup shot. While still pretty easy to use, it required some user skill. AS50's and M107's are just stupid in a "zombie survival" game. 

Ammunition also isn't common, my city (population of ~200,000) gunshops barely carry any .50cal rounds as the weapons themselves are rare and the ammo is in very small demand. 

7.62, .308, .30-06, 5.56, .22, etc. are all very common types of ammunition and I have no issue seeing those spread across a rural country side. Hell, black powder rifles are probably more common in civilian hands than a .50 cal rifle is in military and civilian COMBINED.

Because it's an anti-material rifle that weighs 15kg, fires explosive ammunition and requires heavy maintenance. It has no place in a gritty survival sim.

Funny because Mark Wahlberg had one in Shooter,. and that was a gritty survival movie.....

Also since when can an average joe load, fire and handle an m4a1 or add attachments to it? Cmon just please be quiet.

M4A1's are EXTREMELY user friendly. You're probably just some kid that hasn't shot anything more than a .22 Lr. Go sit down. The reason we won't see .50 cal rifles is because we are in a VERY small country with nothing but farmland and a few bases that housed a MILITIA. NATO and the US Special Forces, even when on sniping missions, usually don't use a M82/M107/AS50. Why? There's no need when a Remington 700/M24/M39/Mk12 SPR/ etc.. can do the job equally as good. And I want you to find a .50 cal rifle in an apocalypse, sling on your back, and run 10 miles (which can easily be done with a moderately sized assault rifle). You can't. Even to give your best try at it, you can forget carrying the 60 lbs. of survival gar/backpack/helmet/clothes/etc...

-No average person can controll the recoil of an m4 without training.

I wish you guys would stop bringing up this "can't shoot without training" bullshit. Gun's are not hard to operate....at all. You guys look at them like they are from Halo for goodness sakes. And by the way, only a person who has shot a standard M4A1 before will know that a 5.56x45 has VERY little recoil.

Did not they say, they're gonna add SKS?

With hunting scope, that would make nice sniper.

Wish Cz550 came back as well, but we shall see.

And yes, I'm one of the blokes, who dislikes people running around with machine guns and .50 cals.

Adding a scope to an enfield does not make it a sniper rifle. There is a difference between a military sniper and a hunting rifle.

Wrong.  First off the enfield IS a military rifle and WAS used as a sniper rifle in WWII.  Secondly, their is little difference between a military sniper rifle and a hunting rifle when talking about similar calibers (obviously you won't be using a .50 cal to shoot a deer).  M24 for instance is just a Remington R700 with a heavy contoured barrel.   The military just slaps on designations to EVERYTHING but it's the same damn thing.  You can easily put a match barrel on a civilian hunting rifle (which MANY people do) as with a military rifle.  Not ever military sniper runs around with a freaking .50 cal or .338 lupua chambered weapon.  I can take a "sniper system" not used by the military but readily available to civilians and BOOM, I have a super accurate sniper rifle that exceeds military standards and can shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.  NOT to mention, the civilian world has access to much better ammo than the military, since military does everything in bulk and prefers not to pay for the super insanely accurate ammo that is out there.  A gun doesn't make a sniper rifle.  The person using it makes it a sniper rifle.

• Like 1

But then again try shoot a m4 on a 300 metre range ur not goin to do that standing up :P

I beg to differ. I started doing AR-15 matches when I was 15 and I was able to hit a target at 300m iron sighted while standing. People keep posting on how this gun will/won't do this whenever they have never even shot the damn thing.

I have only seen a select FEW people ever shoot a M107 while standing, but they just shot it. You WON'T hit your target, I assure you. The M107 was DESIGNED to be operated (being carried, maintained, fired, etc..) by 2 people while in a prone position. And I know people say "Oh, but the survivors are just average people." Well, then why do they look so built? They look like they just came out of Basic Training. 

I honestly don't know if my view is being biased since everyone in the area that I live in has a gun, but I go to the range sometimes and see 10-12 year old kids firing AR-15's, shotguns, etc.. with ease.

Edited by Shadow134
  • Like 1

Adding a scope to an enfield does not make it a sniper rifle. There is a difference between a military sniper and a hunting rifle.

There is? What difference is that, then? Other than green paint.

I beg to differ. I started doing AR-15 matches when I was 15 and I was able to hit a target at 300m iron sighted while standing. People keep posting on how this gun will/won't do this whenever they have never even shot the damn thing.

I have only seen a select FEW people ever shoot a M107 while standing, but they just shot it. You WON'T hit your target, I assure you. The M107 was DESIGNED to be operated (being carried, maintained, fired, etc..) by 2 people while in a prone position. And I know people say "Oh, but the survivors are just average people." Well, then why do they look so built? They look like they just came out of Basic Training. 

I honestly don't know if my view is being biased since everyone in the area that I live in has a gun, but I go to the range sometimes and see 10-12 year old kids firing AR-15's, shotguns, etc.. with ease.

AR-15's are made to be easy to shoot, and they are. I have very little experience with rifles (I'm more of a pistol guy), but within a few minutes of holding an AR-15 for the first time, I was plinking away at palm-sized targets at 100m and hitting every time. Not as easy at long range, though, not without quite a lot of training.

Is the KSVK bolt action? Because than i would be okay with it,especially if the ammo is rare as hell and the gun needs constant maintenance.

I wish you guys would stop bringing up this "can't shoot without training" bullshit. Gun's are not hard to operate....at all. You guys look at them like they are from Halo for goodness sakes. And by the way, only a person who has shot a standard M4A1 before will know that a 5.56x45 has VERY little recoil.

They're not hard to operate, but they're hard to use effectively. I'm a pistol shooter, and when we introduce new people to the sport, they can pick up how the gun works pretty quickly (well, most can :)), but it takes a few months before they're able to consistently hit the target where they want to.

AR-15's are made to be easy to shoot, and they are. I have very little experience with rifles (I'm more of a pistol guy), but within a few minutes of holding an AR-15 for the first time, I was plinking away at palm-sized targets at 100m and hitting every time. Not as easy at long range, though, not without quite a lot of training.

This is my point exactly. They require very little prior knowledge (for me, none at all) to fire. They are made to be idiot proof for the cadet's going into basic. (although, they use the M16A2 model, but basically the same functionality.)