.VincenT.

Sniper Rifles

If your getting sniped, its your own fault, then you suck. DONT blame the damn AS50 for it. OP? If you stand still in the middle of an field and then wonder why your dead you blame the snipers? Cmon. This reminds me of CSGO where everybody calls out hacks when somebody is better than them. Banditry is a part of survival, and youll probably never know what you would do in a real life situation since you wont be in a zombie apocalypse so dont come with that shit. If I snipe someone in BF4 there is no reward, if I snipe someone here I have loot. There is just no real reason to not add them, its just little kids like you crying that make other kids cry even more.

Then why say " We need snipers " The current rifle with a scope is 1 shot. Like the AS50 . Why would you need anything more ?

The only 50 cals that should ever be in dayz is the m2.

This is when base building is put in place. Have a few of these in your base to defend against attacks and stop vehicles from ramming your gates.

Machine_gun_M2_1.jpg

• Like 1

How about we wait and see just how vehicles work before deciding that anti-material rifles are needed to stop them.

Also can you give a source for what you just said?

Rocket said it in an interivew... ummm year before last, early last year... well he said mad max out the vehicles... i may be reading to much into that :huh: i shall have to admit.

I think I posted this already but I will say it again.

Logically, no one with half a brain is going to order .50 snipers against zombies and scared screaming people in cars. A .50 HMG? Maybe. Bur definitely not a .50 sniper. Totally unrealistic. Yes it is anti material, doesn't mean. Other cartridges cannot go through cars.

In fact, a .223 can easily penetrate a car. That means all you need is a M4 and some ammo and hose a burst or two at a car and boom, drivers and passengers dead, car crashes.

Unless the military were dealing with a large armored force, AKA ANOTHER MILITARY, we shouldn't be seeing AM rifles.

IF this did happen, we should be seeing tanks as well.

Youre so wrong it hurts.... anti material rifles are specifically designed for surgical strikes on soft skinned(cars, vans etc)  and lightly armored vehicles... It only takes one round, to kill a car(and it wont kill everyone in it). Very cost effective way of controlling large areas... it would be the ideal weapon for enforcing a quarantine out in the back country, and save on man power... and limit collateral damage... thats why its used in Afghanistan etc...  the 120mm rheinmetall would be more effective... but certainly cause a fair amount more collateral damage.  M2 would be ideal at road blocks, but it certainly has the potential for some major over kill in built up areas... effective range in the indirect roll of around 6km i think... absolutely devastating as a direct fire support weapon... but id call it the other way around, a BMG (browning machine gun.. m2) would be more over kill than an AS50 or M107 in that situation.

Gpmg's will stop a car just fine o course, as will lmgs, the thing is these require section+ (or squad if you're merican) strength positions... where as an AM rifle only requires a det or sniper team to effectivly control the same, or greater area. Ideal for OP's way out in the middle o no where , with people trying to circumnavigate road blocks cross country etc.

Now, does the game need AM sniper rifles... no, it doesn't add anything, but the reasoning being givin trying to justify your stance is just plain wrong.

• Like 1

I don't have anything against Sniper Rifles being in the game, but as someone said there should be other factors like wind that make it far more difficult than the current point and click method. Also you shouldn't be able to put it in a bag or something like on the mod, so you're forcing people to commit to the weapon. 

Mosin is 1shot kill and the network bubble doesn't allow more than 800m(?) rendering, no need for .50.

Mosin is 1shot kill and the network bubble doesn't allow more than 800m(?) rendering, no need for .50.

View distance is close to 3k meters.

As the game gets optimized they should increase the player render distance ACE mod for arma 2 had players render at close at over 10k meters.

Being Russian my self who currently living in US and served my time in US Army as an armorer ( the guy whos in charge of all the weapons) i'll tell you guys that weapons do lay around, in the vaults, you can only imagine what we had there...as a sniper rifles goes it a personal choice how to play the game, some ppl like CQ some ppl like long distance fights. KOS or camping is a part of the game, if somebody preferred one it doesn't mean the whole community should act the same, like if i just feel to snipe your ass for fun, well more power to me since i payed for the game and i am playing for fun, definitely don't care what anybody else opinion about it.

Now any weapon is possible  in this game as far as i see, the reason is there is NO M4/M16 in Russia so everything is possible, matter of fact zombie apocalypse as it is fictional so no point to argue about realism.

Learning how to shoot weapons in real life is quite the same as in the game, it take a while to learn about the bullet drop, rifle power, kick, etc.

At the end my opinion that as more stuff in the game as more fun you can get since one kind of play style getting boring after a while...and yes shoot me with .50 cal, cause i would love to find one my self to shoot you back, and yes if you will get shot in ANY part of the body with such a powerfull round you will not survive unless urgent care would right on the spot (been there done that)

Edited by PV87

Really don't care if the AS50 is added as it isn't my cup o' tea, but those might actually be more common than you all think. There are bunches being sold/given to the rebels in syria. Like how the US supplied a lot of top end weaponry, like stingers, to the Mujahedin back when the Soviets were invading Afganistan. Even to this day a good amount of that weaponry is still knocking about that part of the world. It is not a stretch at all to think that a couple of the hundreds of high power rifles and equipment being given to rebels now wouldn't shuffle a little north across the black sea to end up in Russia, which has a thriving black market. Realistically it wouldn't be at all surprising to find one or two in a region of Russia that was going to the shit.

That said those who are arguing realism would need to accept that realism would dictate that there be a good number of RPG-7s lying around. Like the AK-47 it is widespread and produced en-masse.

If the world started going to shit and the military armories started getting broken into there would be a whole lot of weapons and high quality weapons available, much much more than civilian weaponry. There are far more military weapons in the world than civilians. Realistically there would be whole buildings full of dozens of rifles, pistols, grenades, explosives, and launchers. Those sort of things are stockpiled. If this situation really was the world going to shit and the military had fallen apart then there would be a whole lot of high grade gear as you might call it up for grabs. That would be realism. You'd find not just one M4 or AK at military base you'd find twenty.

On the other hand if this isn't a world wide event yet and it is still localized to Russia and the Russians are still in the process of trying to cover it up for some reason and are restricting access to the region and have their men pulled out with their gear and have encircled the area well then in that situation the military gear would most likely have been taken with them and only a few misplaced or lost items would be lying around. You might find an occasional high end western piece of some western operative who was infiltrating the situation and fell foul of the Zeds.

So realistically there isn't an argument to be made for not possibly including .50 cal rifles, especially the KsVK. Now if they are included they should be heavy as hell and cause you to loose your pack space or take up both the melee slot and the rifle slot. I would never use one as it means a large downside inside towns and in close quarters. If some yahoo wants to sit on a hill and murderize people from long distance than good on him for playing how he wants to play. I'll keep my head down, move with cover and concealment, draw him out, flank him, approach his position, and send him to judgement. The wonderful thing about this game is that it lets you just play without telling you how. It doesn't try to make you nice or bad. It lets you write your own story, develop your own experience, and decide who you are. Maybe you want to dress in bright orange wear a clown mask and run around town butchering people with an axe like some insane serial killer. Maybe you want to find the best military gear and start cleansing towns of infected and killing any witnesses of the governments experiments survivors. Maybe you want to dress up in jeans and red plaid shirt with just a splitting axe and be a lumberjack trying to survive. Maybe you'll be a merciless highwayman robbing people of their supplies. Maybe Russian army sniper who deserted when things went to hell and decided to just start killing people because his mind broke. Maybe your an American Operative who was sent into the region to find out what was going on and now are stranded far from home without contact. You see that is what makes this game so great. It simulates life. Guess what in a real situation like this some people might just kill for fun. Some might want to heal and care for everybody. Some might want to be an avenging angel overwatching the weak new players from the shadows. I for one would not enjoy this game without the merciless murderers because I would have no enemy to hunt and to protect against. If giving them .50 cals makes my life that much hard then bring it. Give me a challenge.

• Like 1

Right. They have time to ship in HMMVs and an infinite supply of assault rifles, but for some odd reason definitely didn't have time to bring in any powerful weapons. Makes almost perfect sense except the opposite of that.

Logistics in military for missions is completely different thing, they give the mission only what is required for it to succeed, look I am not going into details, but if you wanna argue with former soldier go ahead but your going to look retarded. 

Edited by reapers239

This tickled me.

Like how the US supplied a lot of top end weaponry, like stingers, to the Mujahedin back when the Soviets were invading Afganistan. Even to this day a good amount of that weaponry is still knocking about that part of the world.

And we're still shitting ourselves about those stingers.

Edited by Kocot

Have you guys seen that zombie movie where the protagonist dies from a kamikaze sniper hiding in a bush a mile away, just 30 minutes in from the opening credits?

RP'ing a murderous maniac whose own survival is an afterthought.... lazy sniping with OHK's to the pinky toe from a mile out.... how many of these players can a server support before everyone else's gameplay experience suffers?

Isn't that a good question to ask, before demanding high-powered rifles?

Edited by UbuntuFoo

Did anyone watch the latest episode of The Walking Dead? There was a tank in a very similar setting that DayZ is in and yet we probably won't even see the DMR making a appearance in SA because it's too OP.

Did anyone watch the latest episode of The Walking Dead? There was a tank in a very similar setting that DayZ is in and yet we probably won't even see the DMR making a appearance in SA because it's too OP.

Zombies, must have a taste for armor in dayz, they ate all the apcs, hind D's, mbt's etc... DMR's... yea, well an svd is basically the same thing, on civi street, a springfield arms m14 will set yah back 2k or so.. but truth is, norinco(china) have been flooding the world market with very cheap m14s for a few years now (ive never brought one, to see how they shoot, been tempted, but fear o the miss has prevented it) .. Brand new, they only cost $400 -$500. bipod, $50, knock off 6x-24x 50mm AOE scope $100... So yea, a DMR setup, could potentially be a very cheap, easy setup...  In the really real world.

Armor would be a lil over the top, realistically balance wise.

Edited by KingOchaos

Except that tank made no sense. The tank driver just took off with it when SHTF yet they have shells for it and tools to maintain it...right...

If you want to use The Walking Dead as your source of common sense you're gonna have a bad time.

@AgentRaptor

From a gameplay perspective, unless game mechanics are changed substantially, it's a bad move.

From a realism perspective, there's not a whole lot of those rifles to go around in the first place, that you'd find them in the barracks of an airfield in crappy Chernarus makes it just seem silly.

And all of those examples of playstyles...well that'd make sense if a decent fraction of the players did that and you're saying you want to encourage less of that by adding anti-material rifles? That makes sense.

The problem is, these high powered rifles make the bandit KoS lifestyle easier and every other playstyle more difficult. My idea of fun isn't worrying that a guy can spam his rifle until he finally grazes my thigh and I'm instantly dead. They should have to work for their distant kill, not have it made easier for them.

I'm not against bandits and I don't fret that people KoS but I don't understand making that side of the game easier for no reason other than to have swag rifles for those who don't want to aim properly.

• Like 1

Yeah, like TANK ROUNDS are good against flesh....

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN anyone deploy tanks for the primary purpose of engaging flesh based targets?

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN anyone deploy tanks for the primary purpose of engaging flesh based targets?

They actually address in another zombie fiction, World War Z (the book at least), and using tanks initially to combat the zombies led to major defeats, namely Yonkers.

This is about sniper rifles though, and I'm not sure they've ever deployed anti-material rifles to engage fleshy targets either. I haven't looked into it though, I admit, but if they did it would be unusual.

Edited by Diggydug
  • Like 1

APC's would be deployed, just because, infantry is pretty much mechanized in this day and age, and a great visual deterrent to would be trouble makers, if your still talking about what kinda forces hypothetically would be deployed for a Z apocalypse. (well, thats what is deployed for peace keeping in this day and age.. even in less advanced societies) MBT's, depends on who exactly was deployed... Afganistan, they are deployed, for pretty much solely meat sack targets... same with the Russians in Chechnya... there is no such thing as killing someone too much ;) 

I dont think tanks would be a good idea... maybe stealing armor plate of wreaks.. to mad max out vehicles (totally assuming thats what was meant, it may mean nothing more than cannibalizing other vehicles. )

Chernarus isn't Russia. But some a fictional ex-soviet state. Is in some ex-soviet states M16 or M4? Yes. At least in Baltic states and Georgia (country). Though not in all as main weapon of armed forces. But this not make them as unrealistic in ex-soviet area. Plus also semi-automatic AR-15 rifles for hunters, which are buyable even in Russia, which have a very restrictive gun law. Hey, even Russian arms factories make such semi-automatic weapons.

http://www.ordvor.com/goods/index.php?productID=143087

They actually address in another zombie fiction, World War Z (the book at least), and using tanks initially to combat the zombies led to major defeats, namely Yonkers.

This is about sniper rifles though, and I'm not sure they've ever deployed anti-material rifles to engage fleshy targets either. I haven't looked into it though, I admit, but if they did it would be unusual.

OH YEAH, I read that book. Great BTW, Yonkers was a utter failure since they used weapons made for armor.

Chernarus isn't Russia. But some a fictional ex-soviet state. Is in some ex-soviet states M16 or M4? Yes. At least in Baltic states and Georgia (country). Though not in all as main weapon of armed forces. But this not make them as unrealistic in ex-soviet area. Plus also semi-automatic AR-15 rifles for hunters, which are buyable even in Russia, which have a very restrictive gun law. Hey, even Russian arms factories make such semi-automatic weapons.

http://www.ordvor.com/goods/index.php?productID=143087

AR-15 isn't the same thing as M4.

AR-15 isn't the same thing as M4.

And? I talked about armed forces. Baltic states and Georgia have such weapons. AR-15 i only mentioned.

And? I talked about armed forces. Baltic states and Georgia have such weapons. AR-15 i only mentioned.

AR-15 would be easily found all over the world, even in poor countries like Chenarus.

You would only find M4's in countries involved with the US.

I think AR-15 should actually be added, using .223.

OH YEAH, I read that book. Great BTW, Yonkers was a utter failure since they used weapons made for armor.

Because its fiction... what do you think would happen if 60 tons o steel being driven by 1500hp, going 40 mph went flying up a road through a mob o Z's... it would make for a very short Z apocalypse... without even bothering to use armaments. Tiananmen square can testify to the effectiveness o flesh stopping steel, it not very effective.

Edited by KingOchaos

Because its fiction... what do you think would happen if 60 tons o steel being driven by 1500hp, going 40 mph went flying up a road through a mob o Z's... it would make for a very short Z apocalypse... without even bothering to use armaments. Tiananmen square can testify to the effectiveness o flesh stopping steel, it not very effective.

This thread is about sniper rifles.