.VincenT.

Sniper Rifles

Guys, it should be obvious Rocket played and -loved- the "Last of Us" as many of us have. That game pretty much added alot to the mind-set of this game. I hope this game's weapons and crafting system follows closely to that games archetype. I'm not too thrilled that the m4 is in this game already. I would have much preferred a 3 shot burst mid range rifle instead of fully auto, but oh well...

They said they made the M4 first because it was the hardest weapon for them to make. So that's why. 

According to Rocket they will be hard to find, which is a good idea tbh

I'd like to see some 22's  it doesn't get any more civilian than that.  maybe a marlin model 60, or 10/22 with a scope and no recoil even with lower damage it would be very effective in semi auto mode against anything

• Like 1

Oh, so, your civilian AR-15 has full auto? 

Attention everyone, we've found a bullshitter, i say again, attention everyone, we have located a grade-A Bull-shitter!

Where did he say that? I also own an AR-15.. Live in Arkansas, United States. It's super fucking common for people to own guns.. I literally cannot think of one male friend who does not own a gun. I'd say about 30% own AR, and all have shot them. Get over yourself.

Edited by Mao Zedong

On the actual intelligent side of things, the AS50 is a gas powered rifle and is made by the British. Why would I want to have to rely on gas that would run out because more gas is not coming into chernarus anymore. If it was Russian then I could see that happening but why would a British rfle exist in some part of Russia no one cares about?

*notices pants on head comment... cannot restrain himself*

To be -sure- I read this right...  you are making a note of how the AS50 is 'gas' operated as in petrol fuel?  As in... pour diesel into your rifle for it to work...

This comment, much like so many here makes it painfully apparent many of the people here have no experience or working knowledge of -actual- fire arms.

The M4A1 is not a "high powered assault rifle".  In fact it is not an assault rifle at all.  The M4A1 is a carbine, which is a shorter and lighter version of a combat rifle/battle rifle.  The AK-47 and it's off shoots -are- assault rifles.

People are talking about 'average joes' not being able to handle M4 recoil.  -Child- soldiers in Africa operate AK-47's with lethal effects, and the AK has twice the recoil of an M4.  During night training in the US Army, we literally fired our M4's at targets slung lightly at our waist using the IR lasers to hit our targets.  M4A1 recoil is extremely easy to handle.  As noted by others it's also extremely well spread and distributed across the world.

Comparing M4A1 standard issue light carbines to specialized anti-material rifles is like... well... comparing a gecko to a dinosaur.

As others have said, -why- have a .50 cal rifle in the game?  What purpose or role does it fill?  The reason they were in the mod was simple... they were in Arma2.  Why were they in Arma2?  Because that was a full spectrum military simulator.  It could be used for all of it's intended roles in a military sim.  The only 'role' a .50 Cal fits into in DayZ is for sniping.

Ok so you want to snipe for good or ill.  Well here is a Mosin. Maybe they will even add a Remington 700.  SVD?  Sure why not.  All of these fill the 'needed' role of reaching out and touching your target without them knowing you are there.  If these weapons serve the purpose, someone explain why a .50 Cal rifle is needed or even a good idea?

I am sorry, but anyone claiming to use an AS50 for any purposes other than trolling is full of their beans.  If you are shooting people at 800+ meters, I am pretty sure you are not running down there to snag their loot.  Which means you are just acting like the thumb of God and smiting people for your own amusement.

I played the Mod a -lot- and I have had the AS50 and the M107.  I purposely used them to kill bandits in Cherno, but found it a better choice to use things like the DMR instead.  Even in the mod the .50 Cal rifles just serve no real purpose.  I have been killed a lot in the SA so far, but at least they have never been to snap and a 'You are Dead' screen.

Also, to the gent arguing that the military had time/resources to import Hummers and 'infinite assault rifles'...  Hummers are light vehicles and widely spread all over the armed forces.  There are entire motor pools of the things collecting dust in hundreds of bases around the world, not to mention rapid deployment options for the Marine Corps and the like.  The M4 carbine is standard issue for regular grunts.  Granted not the A1 version, but really burst fire and full auto doesn't make much of a difference.  My Drill Sarge emptied a 30 round magazine on target using semi-auto faster than my buddy could dump using full auto.

In a containment and civilian centric operation like the outbreak would have been, they would not have had .50 Cal rifles, bazookas (AT4), claymores, or any of the like.  Even if there were 'bandits' they had to fight.  I have served for 5 years in the US Army including tours overseas and I have seen a grand total of -one- .50 Cal sniper rifle and it was at a zeroing range in Afghanistan.  Like Rocket says, it's not about realism, it's about being 'authentic' and a .50 Cal sniper rifle is not authentic to the setting or Rocket's vision of DayZ.  Period.

• Like 9

No .50 cal?!?! omg game is ruined. 

I would atleast expect tanks and rocket launchers then

lol jk. I wouldn't mind if there were few sniper rifles in-game. But not too many semi-automatic (Like the DMR). And no 5.50 cal sounds good to me <3

So whats the difference between an M24 and an AS50, the chances that you pass out and then bleed out after getting shot with an M24 is nearly the same as getting one hittet by an AS50/M107

The Mosin Nagant IS a military rifle, and adding a scope does indeed make it a sniper rifle. Historically, it was extremely effective when employed in this role.

Ahh cmon, troll yourself. If you wanna tell me that an WWII rifle with a hard scope is a sniper rifle in todays time something is wrong. Its as if you call an Enfield with a scope a sniper, its not the same.

I so rarely disagree with rocket. That's just stupid. What is a setting in which military assault rifles "fit" but sniper rifles do not? Weird. Oh, well.

Assault rifles are a million times more common than a 50 cal sniper rifle, and the ammo is even more rare due to the expensive caliber. 

This is a survival simulator, not a sniping simulator. All of those .50 cal weapons exist in Arma3, I recommend you try that game. 

To be true, i think this one is apropiate:

Effective range: 4500m huehuehue

Edited by .VincenT.

can someone give me tips for the mosin + long-range-scope combo? :D

is it pure "guessing" which zeroing is correct? if someone is far away, i never hit within my first 2-3 shots. even when it's a standing zombie.

I dont even want a TWS, I just dont see why a normal AS50 wont be added.

Right, let's put this into perspective.

The only reason AS50's were originally in DayZ was because of Arma 2.

AS50's are military standard weapons that marksmen train to master. I don't think it's realistic when a random survivor picks up this 50 cal and without any experience goes on a killing spree, beyond the point... This weapon is used to penetrate light armoured vehicles and to shoot through walls.

I don't think rocket should even think about thinking about adding it!

Where did he say that? I also own an AR-15.. Live in Arkansas, United States. It's super fucking common for people to own guns.. I literally cannot think of one male friend who does not own a gun. I'd say about 30% own AR, and all have shot them. Get over yourself.

But Chernarus is mother Russia, not Uncle Sam country

Effective range: 4500m huehuehue

*maximum range

But Chernarus is mother Russia, not Uncle Sam country

Strngplyr accused DickSharpe of lying about owning an AR-15, Mao was responding to that.

Adding a scope to an enfield does not make it a sniper rifle. There is a difference between a military sniper and a hunting rifle.

You do know the the Enfield is a military rifle right? What do you think came before our "modern" weapons? And if you attach a scope to it, big surprise it actually DOES make it a sniper rifle. A sniper rifle is just any firearm designed to be able to engage targets accurately at long ranges through manufacture or modification.  

• Like 1

Let me guess, you want the AS50, M107, DMR, M24, and the SVD Camo added to the server. Personally, I hope these are gone forever. If you want to snipe people, go play the mod.

There are plenty of scopes laying around and mosins to attach them too. Go craft ya a sniper rifle since that's what you wanna do.

well, people got to lik these guns.

the world has more guns then people, so tell me, where did all the guns go?

If you want to play Arma, play Arma. If you want to play DayZ. stop wet-dreaming about anti-material rifles, machine guns, rocket launchers and frickin' sharks with laz0rs on their heads.

-_-

I read many of the posts on this thread and I think there i a point why they aren't even in the military bases: you don't need 50cals to kill a zombie. If the come in great number, just take an assault rifle or machine gun and fire in burst. That is much faster and I belive more effective.

For the part of handling such a gun: If you serve your military draft, you know how to handle an assault rifle, a pistol and a machine gun, but NOT how to handle a sniper rifle. That is not part of the normal training. So there is the point where you maybe learn how to maintain a hunting rifle because espacially the one from WW2 are quite straight forward and self-explaining. You can carry them like other guns. But 50c? You cant just put them on your back and move easily.

So all in all: 2 cons: the weapons would not be effective against Zeds and therefor nobody would have brought them there and the other is: you can handle them extremly bad. For rarity: in europe guns are quite rare: only hunters, policemen or soldier do have acces to them and everybody only has acces to guns they need to fullfill there job (policemen don't have acces to AR normally)

Edited by The L!ne
  • Like 1

I am just hoping we do not see any semi auto high scoped weapons.

DMR should never come back. Meanwhile tons of different hunting rifles, and varmint rifles would be welcomed.

I am just hoping we do not see any semi auto high scoped weapons.

DMR should never come back. Meanwhile tons of different hunting rifles, and varmint rifles would be welcomed.

I am pretty sure that somethin like the SVD will be implented... still nobody knows when :D but I expect that there will be semi-auto-snipers

The Enfield and the Mosin were both used as sniper rifles in world war ii, they are extremely powerful and they both use the same 7mm caliber that is being used in a lot of modern snipers now.

However i think that few problems need to be addressed in the game before adding sniper rifles else it might ruin the current state of the game.

It warms my heart to know that you will never get to fire an anti-materiel rifle in DayZ.

Edit: Personally, i'd eventually like the "best" sniper rifle in the game to be some sort of modern civilian/hunting rifle with a PSO scope fitted.

Edited by Foxyy
  • Like 1

Also, people please stop comming with any reasons that are reality based like "your arms would fly off". This is a game, its about gameplay, im sure to a certain point its about reality, but its not all about that. IRL I dont need to eat every 5 minutes, altough im hoping that thats changing soon....

Man I've read every one of your sniper defense posts, and I've got to say you are so delusional and self-centered. Rocket has plenty of statements regarding the direction he wants this game to go. I don't even know why you made this thread. The mod was a complete failure of what it was intended to be. People like you are the ones that never really understood the Idea/concept that was originally intended. Judging by the posts you have made, I can guess that you really enjoy the combat aspect of the mod, and that you really get off to needlessly murdering non-threat survivors when you good and well know that you can survive on your own without having to do so.

I've pretty much concluded that this game is just not for you. This game is actually picking up where the mod failed. You enjoyed what the mod became, so why don't you just stay over there ok? If I wanted to play with snipers all day, murdering for pleasure, I'd just go pick up one of the Cabela Big Game Hunter titles.

TL;DR: You will not get your wish. the community is too smart to let that shit happen twice. Go back to the mod. 

Edited by Nate
  • Like 2

I am pretty sure that somethin like the SVD will be implented... still nobody knows when :D but I expect that there will be semi-auto-snipers

SVD I don't actually have much of a problem with.

SVD has low magnification is pretty darn common.

when it comes to scoped weapons I hope they follow a formula when developing them.

1. High magnification optics can only be outfitted in bolt action rifles.

2. Second focal plane optics with various ranging reticles.

3. As little variable scopes as possible we need common fixed power scopes in common powers such as 10x and 8x.

Also I hope the accuracy of the weapons is reduced depending on the ammo. So say you find a box of surplus 7.62x54r you will get 3 moa at best with it so using it to shoot at man sized targets past 400m would be pretty futile with a high chance of missing.

Say you find some match ammo however it results in a much more accurate shot although initial accuracy still depends on the weapon used.

• Like 2

can someone give me tips for the mosin + long-range-scope combo? :D

is it pure "guessing" which zeroing is correct? if someone is far away, i never hit within my first 2-3 shots. even when it's a standing zombie.

main thing you should know is the mosin is prolly bugged atm cause if you shoot a target at about 800m away the bullet sways off to the left top.

i doubt it is an intentional thing on the gun, anyway.

I don't mind there being snipers in dayz (although no stupidly overpowered ones)

However I think if you fire a shot you should get a fuckload of zombies heading your way, so you need to move after each shot and be a lot more careful and tactical.