Sign in to follow this  
LeeEverett

DayZ in North America

Chernarus is a map we all love. From its dense forests to foreboding Soviet architecture, its been a part of DayZ since the beginning of the mod. However, I'm sure we're all used to seeing the zombie apocalypse through a more American perspective, seeing as the vast majority of films and shows dealing with the subject are based in North America. This is one of reasons I'm finding it hard to connect with the game world at the moment, partly because the game is filled with American loot and players who look more western than someone living in an ex-Soviet state.

What I was thinking was a DayZ map set in the States. Obviously, insanely dense urban areas like New York, Boston or LA would be impossible to make without having a NASA super computer at your disposal. The great thing about America though, is that there is a so much variety in the landscape, urban density and population that we could see several maps based in the US. A State like Wyoming for instance, would make an awesome DayZ map because it has a really beautiful landscape, a relatively small population and fairly small urban areas.

I just thought I'd put this topic up to form some discussion and see what everyone's opinions are. Is a map based around the US or even Canada something you guys would like to see being made one day? Do you think the devs would ever make a map like that?

Edited by LeeEverett
  • Like 2

I think that was a thought some of the devs had for some time or may still have.

Not to hijack your thread, but what I would love to see one day is a very urban map with a lot of verticality. Explore from the depths of the sewers to the tops of skyscrapers, trying to travel as silently as possible, as you never know what could be around the next corner.

I love the map, but I'd also love to experience the opposite.

• Like 1

Not to hijack your thread, but what I would love to see one day is a very urban map with a lot of verticality. Explore from the depths of the sewers to the tops of skyscrapers, trying to travel as silently as possible, as you never know what could be around the next corner.

I love the map, but I'd also love to experience the opposite.

Yes! Something like Zargabad from regular ARMA 2, but with skyscrapers. That would be really cool too.

Probably in the far far future or when they support MOD and someone else will make it. I'd like to have at least one HUGE city.

Oh, I don't expect to see it any time soon, or even from the developers, but it is definitely on my Wish List.

This is DayZ - not The Walking Dead. Byeeeeeeeeeee.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. One of the great things about the mod, I think, were the sub-mods that grew out of it, and offered different experiences based on changes to the map. At some point in the distant future, it would be nice if SA allowed for the same variety. 

However, I'm sure we're all used to seeing the zombie apocalypse through a more American perspective, seeing as the vast majority of films and shows dealing with the subject are based in North America.

This the exact reason I'm happy it takes place in fictional Chernarus.

• Like 1

I think that we have enough zombie games,movies,books,audio-dramas, TV series and matinee operettas set in the US.

I wrote something about this A while back

Theres a part of me that feels as if a new map based on a recognisable city will detract from the atmosphere. There is something unsettling about reading all of the placenames in cyrillic that adds to the sense that you are an interloper in Chernarus, similar to the way that everyone in S.T.A.L.K.E.R (sorry to keep labouring the comparison) Barks orders at you in Russian. You don't belong here, this gameworld is not being handed to you on a plate.

Personally I would like to see a lot of work put into an entirely fictional city that is part of Chernarus. Not a metropolitan hub but a sprawling industrial city. One with a small commercial and business district but kilometres of industrial and residential areas puntuated with setpieces like a lumber mill or steelworks, a crashed plane or a sea of abandoned cars leading out of the city.

Don't take an instantly recognisable city with convenient placenames and main roads and make it look post apocalyptic. Make a city that goes on for miles that I can get lost in. Cherno and Electro might be dangerous to visit because of snipers, I want a city where getting lost is a genuine possiblity and something to genuinely fear.

Edited by Bribase

You have a valid point, I also enjoy the variety Chernarus offers. Though if some modders put out an eastern urban map, I'd be just as happy. 

Again, though, these are things for the far future.

Chernarus is a map we all love. From its dense forests to foreboding Soviet architecture, its been a part of DayZ since the beginning of the mod. However, I'm sure we're all used to seeing the zombie apocalypse through a more American perspective, seeing as the vast majority of films and shows dealing with the subject are based in North America. This is one of reasons I'm finding it hard to connect with the game world at the moment, partly because the game is filled with American loot and players who look more western than someone living in an ex-Soviet state.

What I was thinking was a DayZ map set in the States. Obviously, insanely dense urban areas like New York, Boston or LA would be impossible to make without having a NASA super computer at your disposal. The great thing about America though, is that there is a so much variety in the landscape, urban density and population that we could see several maps based in the US. A State like Wyoming for instance, would make an awesome DayZ map because it has a really beautiful landscape, a relatively small population and fairly small urban areas.

I just thought I'd put this topic up to form some discussion and see what everyone's opinions are. Is a map based around the US or even Canada something you guys would like to see being made one day? Do you think the devs would ever make a map like that?

Yea, reading Russian signs is a bit annoying, even though I am used to it. "Hey where are you at bro?" "Uhhhh, CHULREIOZ"....