20CC

This game will only be a niche .....

All due respect to your creative imagination, but selling watches or clothes in Kamenka.. That's as far from the experience I seek from DayZ as you get. By endgame I'm not talking boss fights or "The End", I'm talking objectives like base building, farming, running power grids. You know - stuff you would do to survive in the zombie apocalypse. That's what I mean by endgame.

Well, I'm sure you realize that the things I listed are just examples, and things like running a trading post would have a pretty good chance of happening in some sort of apocalypse. There are tons of things you can do, not just the things I suggested. That's the point of my post. Besides, the endgame isn't just about what you personally would do, it's about the player, and everyone can make their own endgoal. I'm all for farming and base fortifying, but I wouldn't really consider that as an endgame, more of a means to an end. But to each, his own, I guess. And any specific endgame that had to be added in as a new mechanic (e.g. some of the suggestions from a while back about being able to find an NPC heli and fly away into the sunset, or finding a cure for the virus) don't seem to belong in DayZ.

And any specific endgame that had to be added in as a new mechanic (e.g. some of the suggestions from a while back about being able to find an NPC heli and fly away into the sunset, or finding a cure for the virus) don't seem to belong in DayZ.

Haha, couldn't agree more with you on that one. I even remember a long discussion topic around the time the "Holy Book" was introduced in the mod, and some people for some reason thought it should be a definitive endgame to find a holy book, visit all the churches in the game and go to Green Mountain and burn the holy book in a fire. Then we're talking scewed perspectives on what DayZ is about.

Sickerthansars: you and Rocket seem to disagree on whether SA is an MMO.

Not really, its an MMO as are most games these days, but its not what most consider to be true MMOs like SWTOR, WOW, EVE, Rift etc etc etc

Get the fuck out of here... this is not world of warcraft...

A suggestion is a suggestion. Please do not abuse other users.

• Like 2

Well, he isn't doing that is he? He's just pointing out that he is a long time follower of the genre. But it doesn't matter what people write as long as parts of it opens up for a smug straw man comment, right?

MMORPG is a genre

Just saying Massive Multiplayer online isn't.

Saying he has played a lot of MMO's in his time and just starts off listing MMO-fantasy RPG's is balls retarded. Thats a  different genre than the one we are playing.

Edited by Craux
  • Like 1

I love how he tries to critique a game, and when the feedback is not what he wants, he cries and asks the mods to delete the post. Sorry pal, but if you're gonna critique a game, be ready to be bashed on. Remember, no one likes critics...at all.

I love how he tries to critique a game, and when the feedback is not what he wants, he cries and asks the mods to delete the post. Sorry pal, but if you're gonna critique a game, be ready to be bashed on. Remember, no one likes critics...at all.

I think critique is a good thing, it helps a lot when you want to improve on something.

In the case of this thread, the problem is in the delivery. Aggressive ranting and namecalling won't make anything any better, it only serves to piss people off.

That might have been the intention, though.

im here to critique the game..thats what alpha is about . im getting the feeling alot of you guys are teens by the way you dont seem to comprehend what i wrote . for example let me elaborate.

in dayz you can build a campire and make a camp . i thinnk ( my suggestion to developers ) is that they expand on that "sandbox" element thats there allreay in the game { building a camp with a campfire in other words making a temporary home for yourself and others which is what a sandbox game includes) by giving you the tools and option to build your own little town for you and your buddies or by allowing you to take an allready existing town and being able to modify it so that it becomes a working town ( much like the governor did in the walking dead for example ) . i hope this is clear enough . this will be considered an ENDGAME.. something to achieve and hold on to...something with meaning not just a random kill fest . this game is huge..you can create a little town out in the boondocks in the middle of the woods . if the game was small then i would say no , but its huge . you can run a long time and see nothing

Edited by 20CC

It's an indie game and has already sold 300,000 copies in the first like 4 days. This game is already far from niche. It's also not an MMO. I've actually been with the "best of the best" in MMO's and none of the guilds would accept someone who types like you.

You say you've played many MMOs yet are crying about "grinding".

Sorry but:

1. It is not an indie game, it is developed by an official company, Bohemia Interactive.

2. It IS an MMO-WIP, Rocket wants to optimize it and keep adding more slots until he reaches 100-125 player servers.

TO OP:

This isn't grinding, you're not repeatedly killing stuff or doing the same thing, you're scavenging.

House by house, village by village. You get lost, you need to find yourself, you need to survive.

That isn't grinding at all.

Edited by Hosty

Sorry but:

1. It is not an indie game, it is developed by an official company, Bohemia Interactive.

2. It IS an MMO-WIP, Rocket wants to optimize it and keep adding more slots until he reaches 100-125 player servers.

TO OP:

This isn't grinding, you're not repeatedly killing stuff or doing the same thing, you're scavenging.

House by house, village by village. You get lost, you need to find yourself, you need to survive.

That isn't grinding at all.

its not grinding at all ...its very enjoyable... but i can get grindy thats what i was pointing out..it can get grindy if you substitute grinding for content . in a game that your survival rate is an hour or so having to make a blood bag by collecting dna samples is not fun .

i have to collect 3 items to make one workable item

ok i collected 2

o shit im dead

ok ill go back to my body and get the loot

aww shit i spawned on the other side of the map...wtf start all over

blood bags worked great....................

Edited by 20CC

It's the generation of games that have come before this game that have created an addiction to "goals" and "end games". 

People are so conditioned to "install game -> spawn into world -> level up to become badass -> complete objectives developers have set for them" 

Instead of a game that allows you to "install game -> spawn into world -> do whatever the fuck you want, you create your end game" 

Without set objectives people have a hard time thinking for themselves, this is one example. Rocket will create content to allow you to create your OWN objectives, to set out to survive in the way YOU choose. If that makes this game only a "niche" game then so be it. I'd rather have freedom than be a slave to a mindless objective. 

You can set your own goal, you don't have to survive. Why do you think it gives you the option to drink disinfectant or why they will add the option to shoot yourself?

Freedom.

Edited by dromag67

It's the generation of games that have come before this game that have created an addiction to "goals" and "end games". 

People are so conditioned to "install game -> spawn into world -> level up to become badass -> complete objectives developers have set for them" 

Instead of a game that allows you to "install game -> spawn into world -> do whatever the fuck you want, you create your end game" 

Without set objectives people have a hard time thinking for themselves, this is one example. Rocket will create content to allow you to create your OWN objectives, to set out to survive in the way YOU choose. If that makes this game only a "niche" game then so be it. I'd rather have freedom than be a slave to a mindless objective. 

You can set your own goal, you don't have to survive. Why do you think it gives you the option to drink disinfectant or why they will add the option to shoot yourself?

Freedom.

dont be naive... a game takes money , its a bussiness . it wont survive as a niche . they will put in micro transactions or some way to make money . they gotta keep the money flow going ... they have to make the game popular TO A LARGER PLAYERBASE TO MAKE MONEY...

Edited by 20CC

Factions? what do you think this ? It's not like the other MMOs out there. I don't even call it MMO maybe the developers does but I don't think this is an MMO.

Factions will just ruin the game

People insist to make suggestions that turn this game into some arcady gay mmo, this is a hardcore zombie apocalypse survival game based on a hardcore military simulator called arma yes things must be complicated and that's the challenge of the game.

I don't get the whole no endgame part thing, what do you want them to do? make us fight zombie bosses? raid some shit place like salvation city in origins? and ofc there is a lasting goal which is SURVIVAL, if like you said you kept getting killed losing your gear and doing everything all over again then you're failing at this goal.

Factions with red and blue vests? really? what's next capture the flag and deathmatch events?

My recommandations for the devs of this game is to make it even more complicated, the game loses it tastes because people like the guy who started this thread run up to the airport get an m4 with a couple of clips thinking they are fully geared and got nothing else to do, tone down the weapons make them rare and introduce more hand made and basic weapons that can be collected\crafted with the most basic material an average person can find. if weapons and ammunition are hard to obtain people will think twice before running around death matching knowing that they will lose what they've been collecting for hours.

I agree 100% with what you said about zombies, if zombies become a real threat people will look to work together to survive them rather than just doing things like camping spawn areas etc...

"in dayz you can build a campire and make a camp . i thinnk ( my suggestion to developers ) is that they expand on that "sandbox" element thats there allreay in the game { building a camp with a campfire in other words making a temporary home for yourself and others which is what a sandbox game includes) by giving you the tools and option to build your own little town for you and your buddies or by allowing you to take an allready existing town and being able to modify it so that it becomes a working town ( much like the governor did in the walking dead for example ) . i hope this is clear enough . this will be considered an ENDGAME.. something to achieve and hold on to...something with meaning not just a random kill fest . this game is huge..you can create a little town out in the boondocks in the middle of the woods . if the game was small then i would say no , but its huge . you can run a long time and see nothing"

I think you have some very good suggestions and im sure the developers will be planning to implement some more sandbox elements like the dayz mod. Using the word "endgame" however, is probably inappropriate as the only end game is survival. Any elements which can be used towards this end should be welcomed.

One thing that strikes me on these forums is they seem to contain too many nasty people. Im talking about the kind of people who would camp at spawn points and shoot you in the head just for laughs. Or kidnap you and force feed you disinfectant. I would like the game to encourage more cooperation. Perhaps ypur suggestion about making zombies more dangerous would achieve this.

I don't get the whole no endgame part thing, what do you want them to do? make us fight zombie bosses? raid some shit place like salvation city in origins? and ofc there is a lasting goal which is SURVIVAL, if like you said you kept getting killed losing your gear and doing everything all over again then you're failing at this goal.

You seem locked around the concept that endgame is something definitive. It doesn't have to be. What I mean when I say the game needs an endgame, I'm not talking boss-fights or raids. I'm talking about a loose endgame - something to do when you are fully looted up. People say that the lasting goal in DayZ is survival. Yeah, I agree that it should be. But today? Everyone can take a bag full of sardines and canteens and sit in a house in Msta all day. That is surviving, but it isn't fun. And no one does it.

Because what the only lasting goal the game mechanics today encourage is looting up. And that's a lot of fun for 4-8 hours, but once you get all the loot you want people start seeking action because "there's nothing else to do". And I think this is what people mean by endgame. That you can build bases, develop character skills (medic/engineer/shooting), craft your own clothes. I think everyone agrees that these sort of funtions are needed to give the game more layers.

What we're basically raging at eachother over is the definition of the word "endgame". I notice that some of you define it an "The End, game over"-type of thing, while me and some others in this post have more of an activity based view on "endgame", allowing for a broader specter of activities and lasting goals then there are today.

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

First of all I totally adore the game. When i read the first article about DayZ-Mod on rockpapershotgun.com, I was electrified by the possibilities of this game. So I bought ARMA X to play the Mod. It was great fun. But as 20CC said it lacked of an aim. It became repetitive. At last, if you had an helicopter to scavenge for heliwrecks (because you could be almost sure to be the first at the spot, because of your airsuperiority)

Soon you had not just the heli but 2 Ural some UAZ and lot's of stuff to maintain them. "Hell ya! we got tents for spare parts, food and guns" But that was it ...

At least on first sight!

Because the game had something I hadn't experienced in any other games before and it happened right here in the forums.

Soon the first, if you want so, guilds arose from the abyss of the DayZ-Forum. People started to use the forum as some kind of meta-space. They arranged trades for items or medical support. Maybe some of you heard of 'The trusted medics of the wasteland' (http://tmwdayz.com) Which could be seen as a guild of some sort. By the way, if someone of tmwd reads this - is there a European branch? I like you guys and appreciate your work!

Back to the topic:

Imho there shouldn't be AI-guilds that you can join - players are better than any script, because they are creative!

Let players rebuild the world. Make the world evolveable. Is it too ambicious to place (work)shops in the vicinity? From a progammers stand you just have to create the entity 'gunsmith', 'grocery_store', or 'cornfield'. Let the players use the environment to create. And let them reap what they saw! Imagine the dynamics that can evolve in gameplay ...

IMAGINATIONLAND

Joe says:"Let us burn down their crops" ... just think about it!

The game MUST be complex! i explicit don't say hard!

You can have a trillion different worlds and timetravel between them. I don't mean abusive serverhopping btw. ;)

These are just my thoughts and I hope them to be promoted.

And even if I don't share any of 20CC's thoughts they are a thousand time worthier than most stuff you read. Like you need to put that gun in the game and such.

So far let us all hope that the final version of the game is at least a 50% of what we expected :P

Edited by elLoCo
  • Like 1

What a load of unqualified blah!

No, yeah. He definitely did compare it to fantasy MMOs. By suggesting that a game can't succeed without factions, for example. Choosing a faction that you have to stick to for some arbitrary reason forever is pretty much the exclusive domain of fantasy MMOs.

Stopped right there.

Comparing a Survival MMO to a fantasy RPG. Here is the door and bring the rest of the people that gave you beans with you.

The DayZ SA is declared as an MMO no matter what exact genre it is - fantasy, scifi, zombie etc. I don't like the idea of game set factions like sith and jedi, thats why i soon quitted dayz wasteland. But the official trailer declares it as an MMO, so it can be compared with those on the market.

The first and last MMO i ever played was ultima online. And i would like to be DayZ as complex as this game was.

And as the trailer also says: 'It's your story' so make the best out of it

alot of these guys crying foul i believe have little to no gaming experience , 4 pages explaning to someone that mmo doesnt need to be rpg.

not massive. really, get that out of your head.

You say you've played many MMOs yet are crying about "grinding".

Gah you beat me to it.