Sign in to follow this  
alleycat

Color degradation from blood loss has to go (loss of visual fidelity)

color_degradation.jpg

Color degradation from blood loss has to go

Here is why. As you noticed probably, the game HDR lighting looks far better than regular arma2, colors are more vibrant, no desaturation. However after getting wounded, the colors start to fade to near monochrome. And this is really bad. It basically throws visual fidelity out of the window for a bit of "immersion".

But losing the colors in a game where you spend at least 50% of your time being wounded and where you do extensive amounts of jogging through the landscape, the last thing the game should do is trade amazing vibrant colors for a less HUD intensive display of your blood level. I rather have a bar or number ion the corner of my screen or in inventory than losing all the colors.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 14.1.2014 FROM PAGE 3

Summarizes why color degradation sucks even more compactly

image.jpg

Had to revive this topic because it is still not fixed and the problem is even worse now.

On this screenshot you can see how the game world looks to my character after surviving 10 melee battles during which my character was hit 7 times. I instantly bandaged after the battles.

As you can see not only the visual fidelity in colors is gone but also there is a constant out of focus pixel shader blur applied which is very tiring to watch.

If the game punishes the player with unbearable loss of color and loss of visual focus after inevitable melee combat with wobbly melee combat system then there is clearly something wrong that should be adressed, as in, THROW OUT THE COLOR LOSS AND OUT OF FOCUS BLUR. YOU MIGHT AS WELL INSTANTLY KILL THE PLAYER AFTER SOME MELEE DAMAGE.

I mean what is the point? My character in this state will be stuck in colorblind out of focus mode forever.

And punishing players for taking damage by reducing the visual quality of the game is a design choice that is idiotic beyond comprehension. The game interface is literally in the sense of the word literally getting in the way of the player to make a point about "immersing the player".

Just add a bar in the inventory stats that tells me how low the blood is instead of obsessing over "no hud" immersion so hard to the point that it different aspects of the GFX rendering are used against the player to punish him and the game itself by making it look crappy.

Edited by alleycat
  • Like 10

It's a good visual indicator of how much 'health' your character has remaining without giving you the inauthentic precision of seeing it as a number or bar/icon. Personally, I think it's a great feature.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 44

As humans, we don't have a bar or 'indicator' other then that awful feeling (in game, itslack of color)  its good you're annoyed. that means you'll learn from your mistakes, and do what you can to heal yourself.

A bar or indicator will just say, 'hey, you should look into this sometime, but no big deal'  and will have very little consequences for your actions.

• Like 5

Yeah, I disagree. I actually like the effect.

• Like 10

punish player for being wounded with bad graphics? You keeping it real immersion fundamentalists try so hard to avoid bars and numbers that you are willing to actually ruin immersion even more:

-Extensive YOU ARE BLEEDING message spam

-complete loss of colors just so you can avoid a bar in the HUD?

As humans, we don't have a bar or 'indicator' other then that awful feeling (in game, itslack of color)  its good you're annoyed. that means you'll learn from your mistakes, and do what you can to heal yourself.

A bar or indicator will just say, 'hey, you should look into this sometime, but no big deal'  and will have very little consequences for your actions.

That is not immersion, that is a design flaw.

Edited by alleycat

But losing the colors in a game where you spend at least 50% of your time being wounded...

WHAT?

doing-it-wrong-ball_2.jpg

• Like 19

WHAT?

doing-it-wrong-ball_2.jpg

I am actually sifting through towns and run into teh occasional zombie or axe wielding player. Unlike you who basically server camp hops balota/NW. And if guns are involved you never run into the problem of a faded colors, becaus you are dead too soon. But if you get into melee combat with other players and you survive that then you will have to play with these colors for some time

• Like 1

people always want to solve these 'problems' from the wrong end. you should avoid being injured "50% of the time"

• Like 13

Ok then lets tell the GPU to stop rendering shadows or textures when the players wang accidently gets stuck when vaulting over a picket fence.

Ok then lets tell the GPU to stop rendering shadows or textures when the players wang accidently gets stuck when vaulting over a picket fence.

"lets take injury out of the game because it might be caused by bugs"

you just got done bragging about how you get injured in melee fights with other players and zombies. don't try to blame it on a fence

• Like 3

Personally, i think the effect should be nerfed when you drink several cokes, or you have sugar packets mixed in with water. Sugar and Water will do some to help with the effects of blood loss. Maybe temporarily remove the bluring for half an hour or so for a sugar pack, either buying time for you to grab food, or for you to naturally regenerate blood. 

Gatorades will also help with blood loss, and replaces minerals and electrolytes. Maybe they should put gatorade bottles into the game, or gatorade packets to help in cases where you lose a couple pints of blood.

Edited by milkyway12
  • Like 4

Personally, i think the effect should be nerfed when you drink several cokes, or you have sugar packets mixed in with water. Sugar and Water will do some to help with the effects of blood loss. Maybe temporarily remove the bluring for half an hour or so for a sugar pack, either buying time for you to grab food, or for you to naturally regenerate blood. 

Gatorades will also help with blood loss, and replaces minerals and electrolytes. Maybe they should put gatorade bottles into the game, or gatorade packets to help in cases where you lose a couple pints of blood.

these are all things they should consider for whatever blood regeneration system they come up with

• Like 1

The problem is that you cretins dont see how bad this affects visual quality of the game

I'll have to jump aboard the nay-train myself. Especially when there's no blood indicator in the GUI, the desaturation is a great indicator of your blood levels. I was taken hostage and had three blood-transfusions taken from me over a total of 15 minutes, and my screen went from vibrant summer feel to a blinding white. In the shittiness of the situation, that was a cool effect.

And in addition, it makes the game a little harder if you get injured in combat, which adds some realism.

• Like 1

Don't take it away, but make desaturation only start when you are 50% health or below. That should solve the problem.

The problem is that you cretins dont see how bad this affects visual quality of the game

No, the problem is that you don't understand what a survival simulation game is supposed to be. In real life if you have a severe drop in blood, Hypovolemia, your vision will often become grey and fuzzy. Colors become less intense and you have troubles focussing. Now I have never lost that much blood, but I have had similar issues from lack of oxygen when I was choked out. Before everything went black, it "faded" down to grey. I am sorry the game is too real for you. Maybe you would prefer some other game that allows you to operate normally even when half dead?

• Like 10

Maybe like in Spiderman 3 for PS2 you could have a black outline seeping in until it KINDA covers your screen, but you still have a circle of clear colour in the centre. The intensity of the black outline could indicate how damaged or unhealthy you are. I know before I had surgery on my spine that when I was being put under general anesthetic I saw black lines around my vision before I passed out. The same happens when I stand up too quickly.

Maybe that's just me and I'm just unhealthy irl anyways.

I am a fem neckbeard. 

There's no need to be rude. You could just play Battlefield 4 if you want to fap to oversatured colours and lens flares.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 17

Yes, keep being a jerk about it.. it will get you somewhere i'm sure.

Insult us some more because the majority of replies here fully disagree.. 

Its not the graphics are loosing quality, its an effect to make you uncomfortable, and clearly for you its working.  SO work harder to stay healthy, and problem solved.  Thats why its there. not just to piss you off.

I am actually sifting through towns and run into teh occasional zombie or axe wielding player. Unlike you who basically server camp hops balota/NW. And if guns are involved you never run into the problem of a faded colors, becaus you are dead too soon. But if you get into melee combat with other players and you survive that then you will have to play with these colors for some time

How did I miss this insult?

I have never server hopped in Standalone. I have switched servers because I or another friend has had difficulties with a given server, but I even posted a thread about hating the server hopping. So thank you for accusing me of that without any facts.

If you run into an Axe Wielding Player you... wait for it... RUN AWAY. With a melee weapon out he will NEVER catch you and will run out of breath first. 

I've gotten pretty good at using melee against zombies and rarely get tagged when dealing with one of them. Two or more is a lot more dangerous but the last time I was grey it didn't matter as it was night anyway and there isn't a lot of color at night outside my flashlight cone and inside it is fairly yellowed. 

So as I stated, "You're doing it wrong." if you are spending 50% of your game with your vision grey. The last time I hit grey a saline bag put me right back up... which I looted off a dead player just outside Cherno, thank you.