Sign in to follow this  
Etherimp

A list of small complaints/issues.

I know there's already bug reports, but some of this doesn't really go into bug reports.. Also wanted to incite some discussion on some of these issues, and also bring up some stuff that I haven't necessarily seen mentioned. So, I'll get right to it.

-The ocean sound seems WAY too loud... It drowns out the sound of almost everything else, and I have my game volume turned down.

-The sun is WAY too big.. If it's behind trees/clouds it's just fine, but the sunrays should not be the size of a dinner plate on my screen.

-Gun sounds are way too quiet.

-The M4 seems very inaccurate. (Been brought up in several threads..)

-Certain items spawn where you cannot actually access them. I've seen items spawn on top of roofs, cabinets, and shelves that could not be accessed by the player. This is frustrating when there's a pair of good pants or another "good" early game item which is literally stuck in an inaccessible position.. especially when spawn rates are as low/non-existent as they are.

-There should be a way to check players health status while they are laying down.. IE - to see if they are unconscious or dead.

-Unconscious bodies often slide across the terrain with little to no regard for what is in their path (IE - buildings, fences, etc.) This makes it very difficult to administer medical help.

-Ladders are extremely dangerous... At least 3 times I have died coming down off the ladder of the firestation, and have had it happen to a friend on the school (? I think.. Possibly hospital.) . .Either way, your player acts like they are mounting the ladder, then they get flung off and die without any input on your part. 

I'm sure I could think of some more, but this is a good list to get started..

1. Alpha

2. Alpha

3. Alpha

4. Alpha

5. Alpha

6. Alpha

7. Alpha

8. Alpha

That should be it. I'm glad i could help.

I understand it's Alpha, but in case you weren't aware... It's our job as Alpha testers to bring up issues to the Dev team, and this post is written in that spirit. I am not complaining like "ZOMG GAME SO BUGGY GUNNA GO PLAY COD OMGWTFBBQ".

I'm already tired of the "Alpha" cop-out and I'm equally tired of people bitching about well known issues/bugs and claiming the game is SO horrible and unplayable and that it was a waste of money..

I didn't say any of that stuff.. I just said "hey, here's some stuff to think about/look at.."

If nobody brings these issues up, they may not get addressed.

• Like 3

1. Alpha

2. Alpha

3. Alpha

4. Alpha

5. Alpha

6. Alpha

7. Alpha

8. Alpha

Come on dude, no need to be a dick. Yes, we all know it's an Alpha, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't give feedback.

• Like 2

snip

hej. please make sure these have been already reported here http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view_all_bug_page.php, if yes, then vote up if no then please report your bugs. however be sure to distinguish between real bugs or maybe just temp. placeholders, suggestions or the like.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

Don't bother getting defensive, I think you made a reasonable post!

Apart from those discussion points I think you bring up a good point of where players can go to talk about all of these things. There needs to be like a Future Features section or something. It seems scattered at the moment. I guess a topic needs to be created for each idea in the General Discussion section.... but, as I said, that just seems really messy considering EVERYTHING seems to go in this section. 

1. Alpha

2. Alpha

3. Alpha

4. Alpha

5. Alpha

6. Alpha

7. Alpha

8. Alpha

How is this productive???? 

Etherimp i completely agree with your points on identifying possible areas where the game can improve and the importance of this.

Honestly how can this game improve if we stick out heads in the sand YELLING

1. Alpha

2. Alpha

3. Alpha

4. Alpha

5. Alpha

6. Alpha

7. Alpha

8. Alpha

Hiding behind that word doesn't do S#!@

hej. please make sure these have been already reported here http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view_all_bug_page.php, if yes, then vote up if no then please report your bugs. however be sure to distinguish between real bugs or maybe just temp. placeholders, suggestions or the like.

I think the issue is there's this middle ground where things aren't "bugs" but people think certain features just need a tweak. Does the feedback trackers cover that as well?

Actually just looking over the Bug Reports thread it looks like you can use that tracker for suggestions. Hmmmm. Someone else is going to have to weigh in on this one.

I agree, I am bugged by a bunch of things in this list, and wouldn't mind to see them addressed, I have also not seen these things specifically talked about by Dean/official word, unlike the zombies that has been addressed over and over again that its nowhere near finished.

The sun is pretty realistic in a sense, but still overdone, I mean, if you were looking directly towards the sun, I can guarantee you will have a hard time seeing anything, hard to say which way I would prefer it, realistic, or less annoying, but its a valid topic to bring up.

Access to loot you can see if also a valid topic to bring up, I found a mozin sitting on a small table next to a wall, such that it stuck into the wall, my friend couldnt pick it up and it took me a good minute or 2 to be able to get the exact right spot to be able to quickly hit F to grab it(didnt show up at all in the area loot window), it also usually happens with objects on top of high spots on lockers etc, in my opinion its not that they need to be moved, the location for the loot itself is great(better then sprawled out on the ground), it just needs better detection for what is considered visible and what isn't.

I've had the unconsious thing a few times, pretty sure it is known to the team though, so I am not too fussed by it, if you wake up, just apply bandages if you're bleeding and relog to fix the sliding, but obviously with the new patch logging off while unconsious leads to death, but who knows, maybe they also fixed that and forgot to mention it? (Just waiting for the patch now)

I haven't had any lethal encounters with ladders yet, but I know they can be a bit glitchy, I assume it's mostly a configuration issue, as I have really only encountered it on the new highrises, try climbing to the roof, each time I've tried, it drops me back down after reaching the top, luckily its only a 3m or so drop, I tried it a few times.

Alpha yadda yadda yadda, as long as the devs know about it I don't care, but if they don't, here it is!

I agree, I am bugged by a bunch of things in this list, and wouldn't mind to see them addressed, I have also not seen these things specifically talked about by Dean/official word, unlike the zombies that has been addressed over and over again that its nowhere near finished.

The sun is pretty realistic in a sense, but still overdone, I mean, if you were looking directly towards the sun, I can guarantee you will have a hard time seeing anything, hard to say which way I would prefer it, realistic, or less annoying, but its a valid topic to bring up.

Access to loot you can see if also a valid topic to bring up, I found a mozin sitting on a small table next to a wall, such that it stuck into the wall, my friend couldnt pick it up and it took me a good minute or 2 to be able to get the exact right spot to be able to quickly hit F to grab it(didnt show up at all in the area loot window), it also usually happens with objects on top of high spots on lockers etc, in my opinion its not that they need to be moved, the location for the loot itself is great(better then sprawled out on the ground), it just needs better detection for what is considered visible and what isn't.

I've had the unconsious thing a few times, pretty sure it is known to the team though, so I am not too fussed by it, if you wake up, just apply bandages if you're bleeding and relog to fix the sliding, but obviously with the new patch logging off while unconsious leads to death, but who knows, maybe they also fixed that and forgot to mention it? (Just waiting for the patch now)

I haven't had any lethal encounters with ladders yet, but I know they can be a bit glitchy, I assume it's mostly a configuration issue, as I have really only encountered it on the new highrises, try climbing to the roof, each time I've tried, it drops me back down after reaching the top, luckily its only a 3m or so drop, I tried it a few times.

Alpha yadda yadda yadda, as long as the devs know about it I don't care, but if they don't, here it is!

Just checked the Bug reports and apparently a lot of people have been complaining about inaccessible items, and unconscious bodies sliding.. Unfortunately most of the other stuff hasn't been mentioned that I can see. Although Gun sounds and M4 inaccuracy has been brought up quite a bit on the forums. I posted about the Ladder death glitch, hoping that others can replicate it.. I know for a fact it's happened to more than just me, because it happened to my friend tonight. Those are probably the 2 biggest issues I mentioned. The others being mostly aesthetic.. 

Just checked the Bug reports and apparently a lot of people have been complaining about inaccessible items, and unconscious bodies sliding.. Unfortunately most of the other stuff hasn't been mentioned that I can see. Although Gun sounds and M4 inaccuracy has been brought up quite a bit on the forums. I posted about the Ladder death glitch, hoping that others can replicate it.. I know for a fact it's happened to more than just me, because it happened to my friend tonight. Those are probably the 2 biggest issues I mentioned. The others being mostly aesthetic.. 

When you say you posted about the ladder death glitch, do you mean you reported it in the tracker?

When you say you posted about the ladder death glitch, do you mean you reported it in the tracker?

correct

• Like 1

Good feedback, someone already linked a bug report form. You should definitely post it there, I've experienced some of the same things (if not most). Just waiting to get home so I can put in a bug form. Don't worry, if you've watched any of Rocket's streams, he doesn't intend to just let bugs slide (no unconscious player pun intended.) 

For some reason i can't quote someone on these forums even when i click the quote button...anyways.

You can loot things ontop of drawers and out of the way places by doing two things:

1) Press Enter and go third person and target the item and wait a few seconds and the option should come up or go first person and stand back a little bit and do the same thing and it should show up

2) Stand as close as possible to the out of reach item (literally your player should be hugging the obstacle and then press TAB and the item should be in the Vicinity part of the Inventory menu.

For some reason i can't quote someone on these forums even when i click the quote button...anyways.

You can loot things ontop of drawers and out of the way places by doing two things:

1) Press Enter and go third person and target the item and wait a few seconds and the option should come up or go first person and stand back a little bit and do the same thing and it should show up

2) Stand as close as possible to the out of reach item (literally your player should be hugging the obstacle and then press TAB and the item should be in the Vicinity part of the Inventory menu.

Tried this.. In some places it's literally impossible to do this. One example:

There's a Wardrobe cabinet which has the doors open on it.. 1 at approximately a 45° angle, the other at about a 90° angle.  You cannot possibly move your character in position close enough to the object to access it (Yes, even in first person.).. I wasn't even able to get the "pick up" option. 

I think the issue is there's this middle ground where things aren't "bugs" but people think certain features just need a tweak. Does the feedback trackers cover that as well?

Actually just looking over the Bug Reports thread it looks like you can use that tracker for suggestions. Hmmmm. Someone else is going to have to weigh in on this one.

i asked the mods about that and they suggested to suggest in the suggestions thread.. ;). therefore i made this little "smaller suggestions and feedback" thread. hopefully they'll soon make something for the DayZ subthreads.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/155765-smaller-suggestions-and-feedback-based-on-the-alpha-so-far-lets-make-a-continuous-list/

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

i asked the mods about that and they suggested to suggest in the suggestions thread.. ;). therefore i made this little "smaller suggestion and feedback" thread. hopefully they'll soon make something for the DayZ subthreads.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/155765-smaller-suggestions-and-feedback-based-on-the-alpha-so-far-lets-make-a-continuous-list/

the problem is that those suggestion threads are almost useless.

its the nature of user suggestions, that only 1-5% of the suggestions are realistic, new and will be implemented (the rest is allready planed or rejected). with such a vast community those threads easily expand to so many pages that nobody bothers to read them completely, and thus many of those suggestions are said several times.

if you want to make a serious suggestionlist and help the devs, you have to open one thread, and maintain an ordered list of all suggestions (and dev answers, if existent). update the list as soon as a user posts a new suggestion, and maybe ask a mod to pin the thread.

Applied Energistics for an example maintains such a list, and i guess it reduces the spam for their devs by a great amount.

same applies for bugs: the amount of duplicate threads in this forum and tickets on feedback.dayzgame.com prove that "using the search function" is too hard for most users. if we would maintain a real list (im not saying their ticketsystem is not great, but it fails to deliver a duplicate-free, ordered list of issues. the voting system is great though!) i guess the duplicate bug reports would decrease and the quality would increase, since one would unite every aspect of a certain bug.

a thread with a certain amout of pages contains always duplicate information and many useless statements (useless as in: it does not provide any more information than "i got this issue too"), and you cannot expect a new user to read the whole bunch before posting.

maintain a nice list(maybe even colorcoded and with links to the feedbacksystem so that users can vote for a certain issue without dealing with the feedback's search function), and users will maybe stop opening the 10th thread about zombies walking through walls. i would gladly help, if you'd give it a shot. we cant expect the devteam to do that for us, since i guess they are throwing every bit of manpower they have on their programming tasks, so that they will have a decent situation before christmas (tents/vehicles before christmas plz :P ).

1. Alpha

2. Alpha

3. Alpha

4. Alpha

5. Alpha

6. Alpha

7. Alpha

8. Alpha

Too bad there isn't a thumbs down or dislike button in these forums....Hey maybe I should invent that!!