Phineas

Too many veterans

I appreciate the feedback.  You, me, and everyone we know is passionate about the game.

My feedback is that, as of the SA, you are thrown into the fire.  Not even the DayZ mod did this, you could do the ArmaII boot camp and learn to shoot and fly a heli.  The SA has NONE of this.  It should have a nerfed environment to get people up to speed.

I am not butt hurt because I suck at DayZ.

I want to see it succeed.

Maybe because I want a bunch of sucky people to play, but that defines honor.

Anyone else feel me?

• Like 1

>balota empty

>run to NWAF

>because everyone is looting balota nobody goes to new improved NWAF

NWAF is great now. it's got a new camp to the north of it, and north in its own area another building with military spawns

I always run straight to the north. Its hopeless even trying to find loot at the coast if the server hasn't restarted for a while.  I have been at the NWAF many times and you are right its always empty which is kinda boring.

confirmed pleb

>not even returning after server restarts

disgusting

So you just randomly happen to be hanging around Balota airfield during one of the 6 restarts of the day?

So you're either camping there and never moving, or just randomly happen upon it at the right time.

In either case, your experience is not relevant to real players.

So you just randomly happen to be hanging around Balota airfield during one of the 6 restarts of the day?

So you're either camping there and never moving, or just randomly happen upon it at the right time.

>camping at balota

you're the worst kind of person. 

if you're a good player you time your circuit NWAF/NEAF/BAL for server restart

What do you mean by real players?  And also, if you are in a full server and expect Balota to be overflowing with gear, then Im sorry to tell you this, but your in for a bad time.

My Advice: Screw the coast. Get away from that shit as fast as you can. Spawn, run through a building or to on your way through which ever town you spawn in, then turn your little motorbike helmet wearing man North and run. Seriously, its MUCH easier then the already easy areas of the coast to get geared.

I don't think anyone has said this yet, but here on these forums, most of the older players prefer to play as heroes or just as neutral survivors.

Some people just don't realize the game can be more fun that way.

Convincing them that killing on sight is bad is like convincing a hardcore Republican to vote for the Democrats. 

• Like 2

I appreciate the feedback.  You, me, and everyone we know is passionate about the game.

My feedback is that, as of the SA, you are thrown into the fire.  Not even the DayZ mod did this, you could do the ArmaII boot camp and learn to shoot and fly a heli.  The SA has NONE of this.  It should have a nerfed environment to get people up to speed.

I am not butt hurt because I suck at DayZ.

I want to see it succeed.

Maybe because I want a bunch of sucky people to play, but that defines honor.

Anyone else feel me?

just stick with it, without the learning curve and having to work stuff out it wouldn't be as fun. also, you're going to run into 'superior' twats like zedsdead a lot, so learn to shoot first and ask questions later

playing as a hero usually means you have a life expectancy of 10 seconds after you meet your first player. 

neutral is the way to go

Edited by Wookieenoob

you mean its like in any other game? the pros rule the noobs? lol, sorry man, you better get your reality right.

Sorry, but I am a newbie to this game. Never played the mod. Only read a bit about it. Bought the SA and started playing on wednesday. Found some things..bud died a few times. Two Zombies and one player killed me in a supermarket (guess he needed my flashlight...) Ok - good next try. Wednesday evening wasnt unable to connect then the new patch and wipe. Thursday...started at coast - went to Msta und then further northwest to the military camp. Found everything I needed on the way. Food, drinks, backpack, helmet, melee weapons etc. Then I reached the military camp. Found guns, ammo, a bigger backpack, better gear...was on my way to the hospital northwest of the camp and then a another player - good stuff I think, one shot and I was dead. Hm ok....was very angry...four hours running and equipment was gone - shit...I hate this guy, but...who cares I am learning....made a break for half an hour..started at coast again at Balota and went to the airfield there. Found nothing, only a guy camoing in the building and he killed me (guess he needed my pants, cause he shitted in his own waiting for other players...) ok...nex try...went to another camp north...found a gun, found helmet and backpack on the way...drink, food....and then I saw another player....he turned around raised his gun and he shot...but now...I was prepared. Prone shot kill. My time.

So what? Learn how to play and look for the items...and if you get killed by a zombie or another player leran how to run or to kill them. I am NOT a veteran, but I found a map to find my way, found everything I needed to survive. Maybe I will be killed today again - but who cares? I like the coast to respawn :-) Nice beach. See you ingame! :-)

• Like 6

I'd like to make this crystal clear:

Veterans are harming newcomers to the game, veterans are too good at it, and newbies will be discouraged.

"Veterans" will get character wiped just the same as newbs, noobs and newspawns.  There are already active PVE servers for players who want to get a feel for DayZ.  But to be honest, dying repeatedly is a great way to learn.  And there aren't any precious "stats" to epeen and worry about in DayZ.

Sorry, but I am a newbie to this game. Never played the mod. Only read a bit about it. Bought the SA and started playing on wednesday. Found some things..bud died a few times. Two Zombies and one player killed me in a supermarket (guess he needed my flashlight...) Ok - good next try. Wednesday evening wasnt unable to connect then the new patch and wipe. Thursday...started at coast - went to Msta und then further northwest to the military camp. Found everything I needed on the way. Food, drinks, backpack, helmet, melee weapons etc. Then I reached the military camp. Found guns, ammo, a bigger backpack, better gear...was on my way to the hospital northwest of the camp and then a another player - good stuff I think, one shot and I was dead. Hm ok....was very angry...four hours running and equipment was gone - shit...I hate this guy, but...who cares I am learning....made a break for half an hour..started at coast again at Balota and went to the airfield there. Found nothing, only a guy camoing in the building and he killed me (guess he needed my pants, cause he shitted in his own waiting for other players...) ok...nex try...went to another camp north...found a gun, found helmet and backpack on the way...drink, food....and then I saw another player....he turned around raised his gun and he shot...but now...I was prepared. Prone shot kill. My time.

So what? Learn how to play and look for the items...and if you get killed by a zombie or another player leran how to run or to kill them. I am NOT a veteran, but I found a map to find my way, found everything I needed to survive. Maybe I will be killed today again - but who cares? I like the coast to respawn :-) Nice beach. See you ingame! :-)

^ how to be a new player and not a noob.

DayZ is a scavanger hunt.

try to look for signs a player has been around. if you're in a low pop town and you see lots of open doors, empty cans, or starter gear, you could be in for a fight. if you're going to NWAF and you see a trail of taken gear you're most likely only five minutes behind another player. 

• Like 1

Again it is not my experience that should be considered.

Think that you want a friend to try this game.

How much time will you spend teaching them ArmaII controls?

Then DayZ specific controls?

Then the dynamic of the game which is controversial?  [actually the most fun part of the game]

And at which point do they start having fun?

A boot camp for the SA is needed I think.  Heck it sounds like fun already.

This is the point of the game , It should be hard to survive.

Also, you shouldn't buy the game if you are new to it, Rocket said before the release it's pre alpha for DayZ fans who played the mod and know what they are doing.

If you really want to play to can learn how to survive , it's the fun part of the game, it's like when you play DayZ mod for the first time is really hard but after a week it's really easy , so I don't know if it will be like that in the standalone too but enjoy it while you can.

Of course it's very difficult to survive as a lone wolf

The whole idea of many features is to cooperate with others

I've been playing since the mod came out and I've Been in a few tough spots and I know where to find stuff

It's a zombie survival apocalypse game, it's supposed to be hard

Most people play games where you are spoon fed 200 rounds everytime you get a gun or have "magic" med kits that fully restore health

This is the real deal, and it's not going to change for anyone

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

Eldrige, nice attitude.  Patience is a virtue, and anyone who has stuck with DayZ is rife with the patience virtue.  While many feel that this is enough for the game, I disagree.

Perhaps the one wholesome virtue Dayz performs is the bestowment of patience upon her players.

Sounds like you're trolling tbh but I am brand new to DayZ, NEVER touched the mod or ARMA at all for that matter and after playing lone wolf for 2 days I have been geared to the teeth with decked out M4's and survive until I make a stupid mistake like looting a body in the open or walking in a high pop zone out in the open.

Veterans aren't the problem, you are, use your brain and remember it's alpha so of course the loot tables, zombies and everything else needs to be tweaked, literally every "bad" thing you listed can be fixed by adjusting numbers to make night brighter, guns drop more, etc. Stop crying.

Well, the mod basically brought in a large amount of people to purchase Arma 2 to even play it to begin with; consider that it did create a 500% increase in sales.. Of course there will be plenty of experienced players but there's always a way to overcome it. It's more of a mind game. I know it's unfortunate to the ones who become discouraged by the experience but this is how you get better over time :)

There are similar functions that correlate to the mod but the Standalone is quite more in depth without the limitations the mod suffers on. The problems you face now are confirmed to be fixed along the way with the daily patches we receive. The reason why it's on Steam is to push out updates much easier and flawlessly than it is through an application via DayZ Commander.

What you need is a noob server.

Why not throw in some noob forums.

Heck, why not start a new dayZ game for noobs, it could be called dayNoob you spawn with a map that tells you where you are and what to do next, points you to the closest guns and food.

Zombies will just knock you over instead of hitting you because getting killed is too punishing.

Edited by AP_Norris
  • Like 1

It is precisely the people who have never played the mod that you should be listening to.

No, veterans would be offended if they could not play the game, but noobs should have a fighting chance.  As it stands you have to understand loot is scarce and you have to spend huge amounts of time to acquire stuff, and to add insult to injury, you can be killed by a vet, often.

As a veteran of this game, I can tolerate that.

Newbies wont.  They will see a lop sided game.

Um, have you tried actually leaving the coast and playing a low pop server? o.O I haven't died from another player yet (heck I haven't seen one), and loot is actually rather plentiful for me. In fact too plentiful for a survival game. My character has so much food and water, lol. I just need to find an army base or something and I'll be good. I'll probably even move to a high pop server to make things more interesting when I get a better gun.

Also forums are extremely helpful to new players such as myself who haven't played the mod.

Edited by Tara505

OP is getting a lot of hate for being very reasonable. Not really sure why.

Pride, I think.  Hurbris?  Scads of justification for loving what was made.

Let me put it this way, to borrow from reddit:

Explain the DayZ SA to me like I am a 5 year old.

Emphasize how veterans will shoot me on sight.

OP is getting a lot of hate for being very reasonable. Not really sure why.

He want to be mortgage free and retired straight out of pre-school. not very reasonable or realistic.

Slow learner in the mod. Took me 2 months to get of the beach. Im still here. Love it.

In the end of the day, there will be always be new players in every game. I don't exactly think veterans are harmful to the game, but I will admit, learning the ropes during the current stage of the alpha is a lot harder then learning the game 1 1/2 years ago, when I began playing. Rocket also stated that the alpha was only for hardcore fans.