smthistle

m4 is really inaccurate.

If in a game character aims down the sights. Target is in sights and it is reasonable lenght of distance, missing the shot because some random bullet spread in built to the game makes me feel cheated as heck. If the character misses because heavy breath or unskilled aiming of the gun, make the darned screen shake and have the aiming harder. That is what this makes it sound like. Like why not just make stats to everything while at it. You have 50% chance of hitting, target has 25% evasive ability, have math to mix those together to get 25% chance of hitting and just pop away till dice roll hits right. Good 'ol MMO combat! (Sarcasm explosioon) But yeah would like to get more info on this I reckon as it sounds bit bizarre to me.

• Like 6

they should have never touched the accuracy from the original dayz mod, it had nothing wrong with it, and the crosshair was awesome. have no idea why they changed things that were completely perfect, now its all messed up tbh. cant understand how rocket didint see this issue at all, afterall he has a 5 million dollar motivation and has been doing well with patches so far, but damn he misses the MOST obvious things. 5 million is a lot to miss something like this, its a bit soon but it needs to be fixed. 

that and the character wiping being constant. 

Edited by keyboardcatSS

So in real life you think you can get shot by a 7.62 round eat some chips, drink a soda, down some vitamins and expect to be healed?

I expect my vision to not be blurry and not colourless. 

An untrained dude with an M4 in his hands won't hit shit. Sorry to burst the bubble. Unfortunately movies and COD has ruined most people's sense of understanding on how difficult it is to shoot a rifle when tired, on the move, from unsupported or non-traditional shooting positions. Keep.

That is true, but I doubt this is an intended feature and unless you can physically control the gun yourself then firefights will become less about skill

and more about who get's lucky enough to not have their bullets spread too much.

I saw a video recently of someone shooting a wall and apparently some bullets were going straight over the top when he was aiming in the middle of the wall.

Someone also suggested that this may be due to changing your FOV and IIRC the mod had the same problem in the past.

While this diverges into IRL vs DayZ, I thought I'd mention that the accuracy rating on the m4 is variable, as noted by swapping out the CQB stock. Since this is an alpha, the likelihood that the accuracy values need tweaking is high, as is the chance that there's a bug in their component system that's hosing it.

i would really like to see someone land shot after shot while standing at 300m... thats is really hard and dont give me some bs that you with ease hit your targets standing with a shortbarreld automatic rifle at that range i know my facts as i am currently working as a soldier. Some guy earlier in this post said 250m is the effective range and i totaly agree. Prone you would land a body shot at a non moving object at 300m if aiming at center of mass but when is someone completly still standing uppright on a field daytime? and 500 m prone? reality check please...

i would really like to see someone land shot after shot while standing at 300m... thats is really hard and dont give me some bs that you with ease hit your targets standing with a shortbarreld automatic rifle at that range i know my facts as i am currently working as a soldier. Some guy earlier in this post said 250m is the effective range and i totaly agree. Prone you would land a body shot at a non moving object at 300m if aiming at center of mass but when is someone completly still standing uppright on a field daytime? and 500 m prone? reality check please...

but yeah atm the accuracy is to low

Effective range of an M4A1 is 200m for a single shooter on a point target.

It is not 200m, effective range on M4A1 is 500m for a point target.

I believe the dispersion in dayz SA is 0.1, whereas it was 0.00175 in Arma. I believe (or atleast like to believe) this 0.1 is the base for which your character starts, more he shoots, the more accurate he gets. But I don't think they've implemented any learning system yet (which basically is a weight function controlled by how many shots your character has fired). So everybody is a shitty shooter without any learning capability. 

This is merely speculation, but if my assumption is right, they should set dispersion a tad lower until they implement the learning curve. Because first shot is crucial in Dayz, I'd hate to see it go 3m off-target on a 50m distance.

I love it when people don't know what they are talking about, and say it like they do, and relate the bs they say that they claim they know irl, should be the equivalent in a game. ITS A GAME and the hyper realism idea is destroying dayz. prone I can hit point target 500m fine, standing 300m at the most. Know this cause I qualified expert in the usmc from bootcamp in paris island. sick of the internet heroes claiming irl and trying to say the game is too, or they are some weekend warrior at the civilian indoor gunrange or some retarded crap. just stop please. the game is half retarded with the accuracy on the m4a1 and that's about it. plain and simple.

Been there done that also. 0311 vet from Kilo 3/5 who always qualified expert and we use 20 inch M-16s to qualify with using a loop sling on a range setting which allows for an extremely increased accuracy through perfect range form. As a Marine, I am shocked you don't know the difference between the two rifles. Check yourself before calling people a weekend warrior who hasn't seen shit or know anything. You don't understand field conditions versus range conditions which means you are a total POG and talking out your arse.

You also said suppressed ammo isn't available in game yet. Suppressed ammo is rarely if ever used because it reduces the muzzle velocity below supersonic which entirely negates its effectiveness and isn't necessary to suppress the shot, just the supersonic crack.

Edited by SuperTuck
  • Like 1

It is not 200m, effective range on M4A1 is 500m for a point target.

I believe the dispersion in dayz SA is 0.1, whereas it was 0.00175 in Arma. I believe (or atleast like to believe) this 0.1 is the base for which your character starts, more he shoots, the more accurate he gets. But I don't think they've implemented any learning system yet (which basically is a weight function controlled by how many shots your character has fired). So everybody is a shitty shooter without any learning capability. 

This is merely speculation, but if my assumption is right, they should set dispersion a tad lower until they implement the learning curve. Because first shot is crucial in Dayz, I'd hate to see it go 3m off-target on a 50m distance.

yeah maybe with a sniper sight attached to it... the crosshair of the ironsight is about double the size of a man that distance einstein

you must be in the army, im talking marines buddy. we all know armys max distance in training in bootcamp is 300m steel sillouhette targets and not even scored as in a target ring. In the USMC we train up to 500m out prone and then 300m standing kneel prone, 200m standing kneel prone, and 100m standing kneel. many other marines have seen other marines, if not themselves hit targets as far away as 300m standing and 500m prone. if you were in my shoes and you qualified expert you would see many others do as well and if not literally the same, but you are from the army so i can understand u dont know how to shoot shit. 

Edited by keyboardcatSS

Really? Learn the use of the bipod, pristine parts, and ranging. Gun play is ripped and cross bred between Arma 2 AND 3 engine, leaning more towards Arma 3 though. If you haven't played Arma 3 I will say you will have an extremely hard time shooting things at range. If you're not going prone to fire at something more than 100m away you are wrong and need to start doing so. Also your character is NOT a soldier from Arma anymore.

the game is half retarded with the accuracy on the m4a1 and that's about it. plain and simple.

So you know what the problem is and you complain? You literally just destroyed your own post with that sentence. Also I can assume you know what this is?

1. Steady Position
  2. Proper Aim (Sight Picture)
  3. Breathing
  4. Trigger Squeeze

You and I know more than well enough you CANNOT control two of these in a video game. Breathing and Trigger Squeeze are not possible to get in games. Yeah you can "hold your breath" by holding RMB (MAYBE in DayZ) however I have yet to see any of that. You have to learn to use the tools you are given. So stop complaining about it and try something else than trying to be a "1337 scout sniper" bandit because we all know your not shooting zeds for fun at that range.

It is inaccurate. but thats probably a good thing. It also depends on your stance and if youre using iron sights.

Hitting something accurate at 300 to 400M is hard in real life, even with an acog. Especially a human sized target. I wouldn't even attempt to make that kind of shot with an M4. I'd expect to hit a 200m target, but 400, nah, wouldnt even try, waste of ammunition. 

Edited by milkyway12

you must be talking about yards.... anyway i did some youtube search didnt find any video of a guy shooting at 500m with a m4a1... Oh so i must be shit? the great american humbleness ;)

you must be in the army, im talking marines buddy. we all know armys max distance in training in bootcamp is 300m steel sillouhette targets and not even scored as in a target ring. In the USMC we train up to 500m out prone and then 300m standing kneel prone, 200m standing kneel prone, and 100m standing kneel. many other marines have seen other marines, if not themselves hit targets as far away as 300m standing and 500m prone. if you were in my shoes and you qualified expert you would see many others do as well and if not literally the same, but you are from the army so i can understand u dont know how to shoot shit. 

But really folks, there is something amiss with the bullet spread of the m4 as of now. I've mostly noticed it while prone, often i would use an acog zeroed to 100m to shoot a zombie at between 75-100 meters and aiming center of mass the bullet would fly a few feet over its head...This is on a relatively flat plain. And shooting a stationary torso sized target is doable at 300m with iron sights, with a 4x ACOG should be very doable. Even 500m with a 4x is doable but much further than that is pushing the capabilities of the 5.56

yeah maybe with a sniper sight attached to it... the crosshair of the ironsight is about double the size of a man that distance einstein

You obviously have no idea what "effective range" means, it's not about the fact that CAN you hit the shot, it means it is EFFECTIVE at that range, and a target <500m is inside the lethal zone. Oh the irony, Einstein...

I do disagree with what the other guy said but there's no need to insult him. You are both on the same side and I'll be damned if you really are a marine straight out of boot camp acting like this. I'm really sick of the "Oh I'm a Marine, lol army sux" bullshit that I'm seeing.

• Like 1

Like Gews posted on the first page http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=871

"M4 has 0.1 dispersion compared to 0.00175 in ARMA2."

So the number is waaaaay off now. Just try to shoot at 200m with acog and you see the effect. Bullets with that dispersion number spread a lot. So it's a bug.

• Like 2

You obviously have no idea what "effective range" means, it's not about the fact that CAN you hit the shot, it means it is EFFECTIVE at that range, and a target <500m is inside the lethal zone. Oh the irony, Einstein...

in my country Effective range is the range where you can hit 10/10 shots with maximum 12mm dispersion, prone with steel sights i dont know what you mean 5.56 bullet can kill at 2000m is that effective range?

It's fine! These are some crappy civilians who have no idea how to handle a weapon well. And the best thing is, firefights now last more than 3 seconds, compared to A2 where every bullet was a lazor. It benefits to immersion imho and it's more fun when byllets whizle past your head!