smthistle

m4 is really inaccurate.

Jadee, that is a great video. Very informative.

http://www.twitch.tv/jadeezomg/c/3430336

Here is a video from my stream today, took me two shots at around 400m to hit a standing Z and the first miss was my fault because I wasn't sure with the distance. Fully pristine M4 with ACOG and badly damaged bipod.

Just saying, that's about a 250 meter shot, not 400.

Just saying, that's about a 250 meter shot, not 400.

We can argue about that ;) but yeah it's most likely less than 400. Even if it's as low as 250-300 it is still a perfect hit on this distance. I had only some short range engagements but in none of them the rifle was performing as bad as people say.

Some running guy, very close, three shots from the hip.

http://www.twitch.tv/jadeezomg/c/3430444

Trying to safe a buddy who was in a fistfight, from the first 3 at least 2 hit him (my buddy saw him bleeding very badly).

http://www.twitch.tv/jadeezomg/c/3430499

After a buddy got knocked out and he was unconscious (standing because of bug) 

http://www.twitch.tv/jadeezomg/c/3430532

Buddy got chased by a guy with an axe. Two shot burst, instant kill.

http://www.twitch.tv/jadeezomg/c/3430701

Haven't recorded any mid range fights cause I only streamed today for a friend, but I had very good performance in those too. Never needed more than 5-8 bullets to kill someone.

• Like 1

After reading here I took a lot of long shots tonight with a pristine acog and was good out to about 400 meters beyond which I would miss more often but never twice. I'm not the world's greatest shot at all, but it didn't feel broken to me.

* I should note that I was in good health, satiated, and not winded

Edited by Blomquist23
  • Like 3

The problem with all the weapons' accuracy isn't the fact whether you had be running for a good few minutes or not. Say I had been running and it is very difficult for me to hold a gun steady. No matter how much the gun is moving, as long as the sights line up on a target, you will most likely hit it, guaranteed the weapon is in good condition. Running should not affect the WEAPONS ACCURACY, more it should only affect your ABILITY to UTILIZE the weapons accuracy. 

The problem with all the weapons' accuracy isn't the fact whether you had be running for a good few minutes or not. Say I had been running and it is very difficult for me to hold a gun steady. No matter how much the gun is moving, as long as the sights line up on a target, you will most likely hit it, guaranteed the weapon is in good condition. Running should not affect the WEAPONS ACCURACY, more it should only affect your ABILITY to UTILIZE the weapons accuracy. 

You've never fired a gun. The untrained always swear the sight was where they were aiming, but what they cannot account for is the subtle error in sight picture, sight alignment, or focusing on the target not the front sight post, or they jerked the trigger while the shot was going off and it misses. The less trained individual cannot recognize these faults and to the shooter, the sights seemed lined up.

People are whining about Arma3 shooting mechanics and how its too hard and that they can't handle the breathing or recoil. Maybe DayZ shooting should be made to be more like Arma3

You've never fired a gun. The untrained always swear the sight was where they were aiming, but what they cannot account for is the subtle error in sight picture, sight alignment, or focusing on the target not the front sight post, or they jerked the trigger while the shot was going off and it misses. The less trained individual cannot recognize these faults and to the shooter, the sights seemed lined up.

Dude, this is a game. There is no error in sight line-up or trigger jerk. I was referring to the game. And I find it funny how you know everything about me enough to say I have never shot a rifle (in which I have). The game lines up the sights for you PERFECTLY and trigger jerk isn't even a mechanic in-game.

Dude, this is a game. There is no error in sight line-up or trigger jerk. I was referring to the game. And I find it funny how you know everything about me enough to say I have never shot a rifle (in which I have). The game lines up the sights for you PERFECTLY and trigger jerk isn't even a mechanic in-game.

Yea this is something that to me is a problem with dayz.

Shooting stuff even out to 100m is really hard in real life but the game lines up the sights, controls your breathing, and squeezes the trigger perfectly for you each and every time regardless of distance sprinted, weight carried, hydration or hunger levels or health status.

The average survivor will not be able to consistently hit a person at 100 yards much less the 400m or more that are often the common engagement range in dayz.

• Like 1

Try zeroing the weapon to your distance you're shooting..... in real life if you don't have a zero you don't anything..

Try zeroing the weapon to your distance you're shooting..... in real life if you don't have a zero you don't anything..

This has be suggested and shot down over 100 times. It has nothing to do with the zeroing. People have zero'd their weapons 100m less than they should for a target and the bullet still travels over the target. It's the spread that's causing the problem. Once Dean start's seeing that it's a problem with the community, he'll just change it with a patch and see how it turns out. It's actually a very simple fix. Just takes a few min to go into the game files and change the gun spread parameter from 0.1 to something else.

Yea this is something that to me is a problem with dayz.

Shooting stuff even out to 100m is really hard in real life but the game lines up the sights, controls your breathing, and squeezes the trigger perfectly for you each and every time regardless of distance sprinted, weight carried, hydration or hunger levels or health status.

The average survivor will not be able to consistently hit a person at 100 yards much less the 400m or more that are often the common engagement range in dayz.

This is something to me that is a problem with some dayz players .... the ULTRA realistic is no fun, it gets tedious and boring.  The other thing is, if the sh!t has effectively hit the fan and the military has all but been wiped out, wouldn't the remaining survivors only be the above average?   Makes perfect sense to me that everyone left standing would know their way around a firearm.

Edited by SaveMeJebus
  • Like 1

How is shooting past 100m difficult? Ever been to a postal match?

You ex-mil cats love taking your cocks out and comparing them to one another, don't you?

• Like 2

you are wrong sir!!!

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/m4/m4-study-guide.shtml

the TRUE ranges for this weapon are on that site. questiond and answer are #28

I stand corrected :) I was basing my statement off Canadian Infantry doctrine which states the effective range of a C7A1/A2 as 300m for a single shooter and 600m for a section. The C8, which is essentially a heavy barrelled M4 has an effective range of 100m less than an C7 (200m).

Different army, different doctrine.

I will print out though, that that website is not official, and is not sponsored by the United States Government. Competition/civilian shooters may have different standards.

Edited by Merrick362

I thought it was the game as well, but you gotta understand the bullet trajectory from every gun. I found the mosin, you gotta' aim a little bit to the right from your actual target, the shot always hits like 2-5 milimeters left from the crosshair. The best way to get used to the guns, kill zombies.

I thought it was the game as well, but you gotta understand the bullet trajectory from every gun. I found the mosin, you gotta' aim a little bit to the right from your actual target, the shot always hits like 2-5 milimeters left from the crosshair. The best way to get used to the guns, kill zombies.

Comparing it to the mosin is a bad comparison. The mosin seems to be accurate at several hundreds of meters, while the M4 simply spreads the bullets after a certain point. 

Alright I'm going to chim in as a hunter. Keep in mind no one shoots back but since there is no system built in for your character to freak out while shots are cracking all those points are mute/void/pointless...

If a soilder can't hit a man standing at 300m god help our country considering the average engagement range in Afghanistan is 600m based on DOD reports.

Now if the person was not a semi avid shooter or hunter or a soilder a 300m shot would be an issue without any understanding or knowlege. It would be like handing a paint brush to a guy and asking for a million dollar work of art.

See the thing is I hunt coyote. The vital are smaller than a human head. We hunt at night with high powered flashlights and shoot between the glowing eyes. In my state you can't shoot on a maintained road so you normaly have to hop out of your truck dead sprint 30 yards, hop a guard rail, run another 10 yards and shoot unsupported at a target normaly 200-400 yards away. Again just shooting 2 glowing eyeballs. We take out first time hunters and kills are a nightly affair. Everyone uses semiauto m4 type varients with 16" barrels with scopes under 4x. You normaly only have less than a minute to take the shot too. They don't stand there all night like a deer they GTFO Dodge cause they are smart enough to know whats attached to the light. It's snap shooting at it's finest.

Anyone could do this with a little practice. I have never been to a firearms class or been in the military. As I said we take first timers out and they get kills. I also own a XCR and that thing will do 3" at 300yards. Dont tell me the m4 cant hit at 300m. I take the XCR out to 500 yards on a half sized steel man target and it's a piston rifle known for not being as accurate as direct impingement.

Hell I got a 200 yard shot on a yote that was 150 feet above me on a cliff with a red dot on a $400 CETME lololol it's in worse condition than any gun you will find in Dayz...Get out and shoot you rookies.

As for being tired while shooting look at a 3 gunner 50-600m is a normal day and 90% are weekend shooters. So much talking out asses here it hurts mine.

As for the point of "I just ran all of chero and can turn around and snap shot somone". Well guess what if you could run half of cherno without a hicup you could pull the shot off cause you are one hell of an athlete and with some practice I don't see how that could be a problem. This is a game so again that's almost a pointless agrument. As for them dumbing down the accuracy of said rifle again its a game but it is backwards..

Also looking at military doc as the standard is wrong as well. It's not a true standard of accuracy. In the military they have two types of shooters. Regular shooters and Combat shooters. The standards are set so even the cook who is basicaly mentaly retarded can still get in like my cousin. If your a real shooter for the military they give you the time and training in most cases. The standard is the bare minimum not the average or even a mark for the limits of the shooter or rifle.

Unless you have shot an m4 type rifle all of your comments are mute/void/pointless..

For everyone else saying its part quality/zero etc wrong again. That may all play part but that's not the OP's issue. The problem is on the feedback multiple times. But since this is page 5 no one will read this and this thread of the same comments over and over wont end anytime soon.

Note: Not bragging either cause Ive had kids at the range take my rifles and shoot better than me...talking under 15 years of age here.

Edited by RyBo
  • Like 2

No wind in game for bullets. They don't curve left or right magicaly due to terminal balistics.

Unless your sights are off or your barrel is key holeing or your useing some super crappy ammo any time your weapon fires off target it's your fault due to some type of body movment or my favorite for most new shooters is the bracing for recoil before the recoil even comes. Ie. tighting up.

Edited by RyBo

400 meters is a pretty tough shot in RL unless you really know how to shoot, given that it's an assault rifle, so it seems pretty realistic to me tbh. 

People seem to want to be able to ping people in the skull from hundreds of meters away with an automatic rifle. At anything beyond a small distance, you're aiming for center mass and hoping you dont wing clip them instead of an incapacitating/kill shot, not eagle eyeing the pink mist.

gotta get the pristine magpul stock and handguard to maximize accuracy. also optics must be pristine and i think bullets and magazines have effect on accuracy. 

i do agree the dispersion is far too wide and random. Sometimes it is hard to see the difference between ADS and hipfire spread.