pythonmsh

Should combat logging be ban-able?

363 members have voted

1. 1. Should combat logging be ban-able?

• Yes
    • No

Absolutely yes. Exploiting game mechanics is the same thing that cheating, so, there's no doubt here about this. The last 3 fights I had they combat logged to avoid losing gear. I mean, what's the big deal about loot?. They were trying to kill me, they lost. So why can't they get over it and face it?. The cherry over the cake, the last one logged off after calling me faggot. Seriously? :rolleyes: .

Pretty much happened to me today too. Ran into someone, shot him and he disappears. Next thing I know his friend is by him with an m4 and kills me. "You shot at my friend faggot"

Glad I shot your friend, he's a combat logger.

It's quite a bit different. I'd be more then happy to play night time the way it's meant to be played. But the majority of players don't do so. I don't see the point in having a huge disadvantage over everyone else because of this. I would love to see night time be working properly though.

I have been playing dayz the mod since july 2012) i have never joined the forum because well to be honest (and this is just an opinion ) many of the posters are inches away from mental instability have incredible lack of logic reason (get sweaped up in the passion rather than thinking and of this i am guilty to hence why i never joined posted till now).

I have to reply to this one (specially as it is a pet hate of mine) so passionate about hating on people exploiting the game by combat logging and yet with your next breath you defend using another game exploit with what excuse everyone else does it why should i be disadvantaged. I have to ask if everyone does it and everyone(18/20 was a stat thrown in ficticous like many stats and techniqally not everyone lol) combat logs on you then why cant everyone log um because it is exploiting could be called cheating, if your happy using your exploit let the people who use theres use theres as well many people have KOSers shoot at them without them seeing them at all so puts them at disadvantage how is this different from what you do ??

Answer its not now again opinion here but many complaining about logging infact seem to be KOS style players forget your ban them for this ban for that attitude because your butt hurt someone robbed you of your kill or saw you at night from 3 to 400 yards in pitch black and some how managed a perfect shot in almost 0 visibilty and just wait for the devs to implement there systems then discuss how they did how it can be improved cause as it stands banning some one for something the game allows you to do would result in a refund of the money payed for the game(there is no disclaimer in your rights of use of the game prohibiting CLing or over zapping your gamma brightness) and it would then be simple for them to use the money to again buy the game.

Chill out a little i read far to many fanatical posts in these forums WAY to many people screaming thats not dayz like they know exactly what Rocket is thinking or his plans for what Dayz is or isnt. Its a game in alpha test enjoy report and keep the raving pitch fork torch carrying mob posts to yourself(sorry this aint all about this one post but many things i have read in these forums.)

Not only should it be bannable there needs to be timed amounts for each offense.

First time caught combat logging = 20 minute ban.

2nd time = 1 hour

3rd time = 4 hours

4th time = 2 days

5th time = 3 days

every consecutive time is 3 additional days.

I have a problem with people combat logging.

That said, I voted no.

Why? Because giving people the option, and banning them for making use of that option does not make any sense. Instead, remove the option entirely. A logout timer is the most popular way to do that. In other MMOs which focus heavily on PVP, even if you disconnect, your character remains, allowing someone to finish you off.

Look at EVE, where your character could remain for up to 15 minutes, if you've committed a crime. No one complains. They do the best to hide for the duration, which makes a lot more sense than having a quick "get out of combat free" card.

I believe anything and everything in alpha/beta should be allowed. Honestly even cheaters..  the worse players make the game right now the better it will be in the end.

Edited by Jaxis

He'll, look at Sable, which is amazingly hardcore despite the art style. People can kill you if they've tracked down the location you logged off at, regardless of whether or not you're online.

The problem isn't combat logging the problem is that you can combat log at all.

Answer its not now again opinion here but many complaining about logging infact seem to be KOS style players forget your ban them for this ban for that attitude because your butt hurt someone robbed 

posters are inches away from mental instability

Sounds like you're one of them. Jesus Christ, I had to re-read that sentence numerous times before I could even partially comprehend what you were trying to say.

Combat logging and using gamma are in completely different ball parks.

Combat logging almost gives you god-mode, not to mention ghosting...

Then there's gamma which almost 99% of players do even though they shouldn't. In the end you should have to use your flashlight. You should have to make that difficult choice of whether or not you stay in the shadows or decide to use your flashlight and reveal your position.

I'm not saying using that should be acceptable. It should almost be punishable but it's no where near as stupid as combat logging. If you're the type of person that combat logs then DayZ honestly isn't your game.

Hey i actually said in my post that i was one of the mentally challenged people to ( have been guilty of some serious rants on other forums so i mostly avoid doing it LOL. Hey combat logging is bad ( oh by the way i thought by ban you ment perm ban not timed ban). but hey being able to see perfecftly clear in a almost pitch black night like its day time is a god like ability (when you dont have night vision or thermal gear ) so honestly nope there just as bad as each other giving the cheating player the advantage over the player choosing not to cheat..

How do you know 90% of people use it honestly that is just your cheap way of justifying your cheating while you slam some one elses way of cheating lol Cheating is Cheating there is no valid way to justify it specially when your trying to sound hardcore with your if you log well maybe DayZ aint the game for you LOL I dont log (until i am done playing and that isnt during combat lol i also dont turn my gama brightness up to cheat so um hey if you need to cheat what was it you said oh yeah maybe Dayz aint the game for you ( but i care little if you play and cheat doesnt bother me at all but it is a massive double standard of you .

EDIT oh there have been some good ideas in these forums though for some problems like ghosting and Cl'ing server specific characters stops ghosting(limits it alot nothing stops these things completely) and log out timer does alot to stop combat logging (if they can make alt, f4 result in your body/character stay for the log out timer there are other ways around some of these problems.

( the gama brightness one is almost impossible though as remove the game option hurts people with bad monitors that need a little brightening and doesnt stop people doing the same thing with there monitor(although the effect isnt as good and clear as in game option ....

Edited by SoulFirez

Hey i actually said in my post that i was one of the mentally challenged people to ( have been guilty of some serious rants on other forums so i mostly avoid doing it LOL. Hey combat logging is bad ( oh by the way i thought by ban you ment perm ban not timed ban). but hey being able to see perfecftly clear in a almost pitch black night like its day time is a god like ability (when you dont have night vision or thermal gear ) so honestly nope there just as bad as each other giving the cheating player the advantage over the player choosing not to cheat..

How do you know 90% of people use it honestly that is just your cheap way of justifying your cheating while you slam some one elses way of cheating lol Cheating is Cheating there is no valid way to justify it specially when your trying to sound hardcore with your if you log well maybe DayZ aint the game for you LOL I dont log (until i am done playing and that isnt during combat lol i also dont turn my gama brightness up to cheat so um hey if you need to cheat what was it you said oh yeah maybe Dayz aint the game for you ( but i care little if you play and cheat doesnt bother me at all but it is a massive double standard of you .

EDIT oh there have been some good ideas in these forums though for some problems like ghosting and Cl'ing server specific characters stops ghosting(limits it alot nothing stops these things completely) and log out timer does alot to stop combat logging (if they can make alt, f4 result in your body/character stay for the log out timer there are other ways around some of these problems.

( the gama brightness one is almost impossible though as remove the game option hurts people with bad monitors that need a little brightening and doesnt stop people doing the same thing with there monitor(although the effect isnt as good and clear as in game option ....

God damn your posts are hard to read.

Seeing as everyone I run into sees in the dark just fine without a flashlight kind of gives it away.

Python: you clearly haven't run into me yet. I've died to more than one zombie because I couldn't see anything except the skybox. Even with gamma maxed out, I can't make out even the most rudimentary details unless they're outlined by the sky. Flashlights help me see, sure, but used in any confined environment (such as when, say, looting) they do very little to help.

Banning is a no no in my books, people have bought this game with their hard earned cash!  Ways to fix the problem is what is needed

Timers wont stop combat logging!!!  Its gonna break the ability to hold people up then as they will just click and wait for 30 secs to logout!! Also gunfights will end with someone hiding for 30secs and logging off.  It will be crap

All you need to do is have a proximity log out, say you need to be 30 mtrs (or more) away from another person to allow you to log off, if your with friends you can have a linking system that tells the server you are friends with the guys that are next to you allowing you to log out.  Its a flawless system!!!  Thoughts please? :)

i say no to serverwide bans but yes to server limited bans 

same for serverhopping

Banning is a no no in my books, people have bought this game with their hard earned cash!  Ways to fix the problem is what is needed

Timers wont stop combat logging!!!  Its gonna break the ability to hold people up then as they will just click and wait for 30 secs to logout!! Also gunfights will end with someone hiding for 30secs and logging off.  It will be crap

All you need to do is have a proximity log out, say you need to be 30 mtrs (or more) away from another person to allow you to log off, if your with friends you can have a linking system that tells the server you are friends with the guys that are next to you allowing you to log out.  Its a flawless system!!!  Thoughts please? :)

30 meters is no comfort to people with decent shooting skills engaging at distance.

It doesn't even matter if they don't combat log and you kill them, because as soon as they die they alt f4 join a different server, change locations, and then switch back to the server the "died" in and shoot you in the head while you try to figure out why you can't loot their non existent body anymore.

Maybe punished in some other way. (No I don't have any suggestions)

Combat logging is so god damn game breaking. But I don't think banning people is the solution

If someone combat logs on you, you were probably impatient and didn't get a good shot off, so it's partially your fault.

A combat log timer like in Dayz mod, if tweaked a bit to be better than it was, would solve all the combat log problems. Banning is never a good solution to any problem except hackers.

Edited by bonesnap

30 meters is no comfort to people with decent shooting skills engaging at distance.

Hence why i put (or more), it was a example figure. 

Timers will not work, they will just add more chaos to the game.  Proximity logging out will, as you can only log out at a fair distance from another person on the server!

if there is no exit timer or in game anti-combat logging system then its part of the game, learn to deal.

i say no to serverwide bans but yes to server limited bans 

same for serverhopping

If someone combat logs on you, you were probably impatient and didn't get a good shot off, so it's partially your fault.

That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Oh, you didn't get the kill you wanted (My heart breaks for you, here have a tissue)

Anyway, I'm sure this argument will carry on and on and on.

Seems like you're supporting combat logging. Dying is going to happen in this game. If you can't deal with it then find a new game to play.

Nope, I play DayZ a lot and I mean A LOT. If I get a call from work, because I'm an on call worker, I disconnect. If I'm in the middle of a fire fight? Well I'm sorry but I got more pressing matters at hand than seeing if you die or if I die. I would have no problem if there was a system that made your character stay in for a minute or two. I'll just start over. We're all going to die eventually.

• Like 1

The only thing that should be bannable should be hacking. Punish Combat-loggers sure,some very good ideas in here,but ban is a bit draconic,especially in alpha/beta, where people SHOULD exploit so it can be fixed.

The only thing that should be bannable should be hacking. Punish Combat-loggers sure,some very good ideas in here,but ban is a bit draconic,especially in alpha/beta, where people SHOULD exploit so it can be fixed.

Kind of a poor excuse. Not just an alpha issue.

Nope, I play DayZ a lot and I mean A LOT. If I get a call from work, because I'm an on call worker, I disconnect. If I'm in the middle of a fire fight? Well I'm sorry but I got more pressing matters at hand than seeing if you die or if I die. I would have no problem if there was a system that made your character stay in for a minute or two. I'll just start over. We're all going to die eventually. 

Which I can understand in your case but I highly doubt this is true most of the time let alone at all.

Edited by pythonmsh