dgeesio

do people actually want a complicated medical system?

The medical system has been one of the funnest things i have played. A buddy and I made our way up the western side collecting and gearing up. He carried the food and I carried the first aid stuff. After we reached Zelen, we were pretty geared so we made our way back to Cherno and setup a make shift hospital. Anyone that came by who could hear us we would give them food, water and apply any first aid needed. It was a great expierence and not something that you hear about to much. The fact that we didnt have simplistic first aid made us a good tool for those who stopped by. This made it less apealing to someone who wanted to come KOS and take everything. Im sure it helped we were armed as well but i am hoping for more expierences like this.

I hope rocket makes everything in depth like the medical system, including skills and expierence over time. I read a post earlier that talked about reading books to increase knowledge and expierence to try what you learn. That seems like a great way to make it more in depth.

Complexity adds game depth for me. So more is better on my point of view.

The medical system has been one of the funnest things i have played.

Same here, im the "Medic" on our Team. I really love how it works. My Teammates were on there way to search weapons and stuff, while i was searching for Medics on my own becouse "they dont need it". Only half an hour later they startet calling for me becouse there Charakters complaints an they didnt know how to fix it. They were Pretty geared but dieing andknow they know its important to get Medics.

I really love how it plays out to cure different Problems or even Take Vitamins and Stuff so you wont get ill on the long term side of Gameplay.

what i dont want from SA is a better looking dayz mod...
We are not "waiting"  2 years for the same game.

The game needs to go in depth in every parameter.

i dont want shooting and killing to be the better/only way to gear up

you want his good looking functional gear, steal from him, cheat him, be his friend and shoot him in his head with ur pistol from close range.
realism in every aspect will be the key, especially realism in human behaviour... how u behave will change the story,
Camping with a 50cal sniper will give u nothing to loot :P

I'm enjoying the way the medical system is going, already finding that teaming up to solve medical problems has become necessary sometimes. 

Handcuffing people and draining their blood is also strangely rewarding. 

On the flip side, im looking forward to more disease / infection type stuff which will add risk to all this stuff.

what i dont want from SA is a better looking dayz mod...

So why would you call a game DayZ if you give your fans something else than the mod they supported and liked and who made DayZ possible?

If they want to improve DayZ they should start with the things that couldnt be done with the old arma engine, but now with their new own engine.

Edited by kiwi12

Theres a point where it gets too complicated, and I'd rather just shoot my teamate, drive to the coast and just pick him up.

I think that complicity of this game will separate men from the boys wich is good thing that will make DayZ stand out from other straight forward games that gets boring after couple of days of playing.

Of course! How else am I supposed to become the famous doctor of my server that gets paid cans of beans for curing crazy diseases? 

j/k, I would love to but I would just get shot and have my supplies stolen.

No serious, complex medical system is fun, ever play America's Army? That was a pretty good system.

Edited by Scoobeus

I think that complicity of this game will separate men from the boys wich is good thing that will make DayZ stand out from other straight forward games that gets boring after couple of days of playing.

spread the hate.

such comments....

I'm up for any system been more involved, as long as a player I am not at a disadvantage to players who circumvent or don't care about it. If there exist via meta gaming or alternative game mechanics a shortcut, then players will take it. Every player is in direct competition with each other and finding optimal strategies is bread and butter of survial.

So an in depth, medical system would be a total waste if the average player is able avoid it, by say respawning and collecting their stuff.

What I am getting at is not to consider systems in isolation. One way to make medicine more important is when you die your corpse becomes an AI zombie and wanders off, you know because this is zombie game. That zombie wanders of with your gear. Also randomising spawns, if I bandit near the coast I can get back to my body quicker as I will spawn near the coast and on average near where I passed away. If not I can kill myself quickly. Don't allow knowledge of spawn system dictate choices in the game.

Basically, there is how you'd like to play the game, and how people will actually play it. To get what you want you have to consider both outcomes.

Yes please.

I signed up for Dayz back in the day for a hardcore survival simulator. It wasn't the guns and the zombies that attracted me, it was the vast landscapes and survival elements.

More medical, hunting wildlife and any other survival tactics that can be implemented the better for me.

I'm sick of getting my hand held by games, I want it brutal, I want it to be a constant battle to survive because it then means I always have a goal to complete.

Also, whats this endgame bullshit I keep hearing? There is no need for an 'endgame' (whatever the hell that means). If you mean the base building, AI missions etc of Origins and Epoch, you can go jump, I don't want that shit anywhere near Dayz SA, base building was the worse thing that ever happened to this mod imo, if you can't carry it you can't have it, that way it always keeps you on the move and puts you into potentially dangerous situations where you have to scavenge for the next item you need.

The 'endgame' for me is the constant need to survive the environment and the other players in it.

• Like 1

It's going to be a controversial one, because whether we like it or not, the folks who like to run round Cherno and Elektro blasting their guns aren't going to like any addition which makes it harder for them to be a lonewolf rambo. Look at the mod - blood bags and morphine were the two medical supplies for a long time, and a regular question was 'why can't I just blood bag myself?'.

On a strictly personal note, I love the idea, and I love the fact that it's going to dissuade the less committed players. It's not going to deter dedicated 'true' bandit players who ambush and rob rather than charge and kill, because if they need a specific medical supply or procedure, they'll just procure it at gunpoint (or find a friendly medic player).

Having said that, I'd agree with TerrorViktor when he says that 'complex' and 'complicated' need not be the same thing, and one thing I definitely want to see in place before we add any more medical issues is a robust and clear needs/moods/status system. I don't mind whether it's text-based, icon-based, moodlet-based or transmitted by electric shocks through my keyboard, but there needs to be some reliable way of knowing what's wrong with you, because at the moment, even with this 10% complete medical system, even experienced players are scratching their heads.

You have got it totally wrong ...this will not stop people from just running around killing at all.

The people that want to kill me are going to have to earn it.  That means they're going to need to have at least some basic med skills and the gear to get to me.  It seems to be stopping the type of KoS I want to avoid as that's all taking place on the coast.

wait...so you want an easy ride? stressfree gameplay that doesn't require effort?

You are clearly part of the COD generation , where you are taken by the hand through levels that are impossible to fail.

This is dayz son , you learn to survive or you die  , there are no shortcuts.

Lonewolfing needs to be discouraged.

You will complain " oh but it's too difficult to find a blood test kit" and you might only have 12 hours game time. Your character is persistent , maybe you will find medical supplies tomorrow or the day after? That's the fun and mystery , every day is  a different challenge.

DO NOT turn this into what DAYZ mod became. A haven for whorders , cowards and cry babies.

i can survive its not hard . im on about adding more than needed to get to the same place. its like adding 10 things to complete 1 objective when 1 things can complete the same. is it worth it. numbskulls who reply play bf or cod clearly are from lower iq brackets and should check there velcro shoes to see if there laces are tied :rolleyes:

its nothing to do with lone wolfing its about a medical system and how to make it work and interesting without being so tedious youd rather just die !

yes! BUT and this is a BIG BUT  the avatar needs some sort of clear indication as to the condition not just generic moans and groans.

The people that want to kill me are going to have to earn it.  That means they're going to need to have at least some basic med skills and the gear to get to me.  It seems to be stopping the type of KoS I want to avoid as that's all taking place on the coast.

doesnt stop any killing !

anyone i see ill try and kill unless the way the none fluid weapon swops lets them get away.

only reason not as many kills yet is people arent finding guns as quick yet . thing is once people find weapons they still kill or attack everyone . its just a time delay to kos because of less weps. so no problem has been solved just a visit from death is longer.

There is nothing complicated about the medical system so long as you understand it and also understand that half the game isn't finished.

If anything the UI and Action system is not great, (something Rocket has spoke about) and that leads to people not understanding certain features and effects in the game.

All this is going to be fleshed out eventually, read around.

Personally I love the complexity, however I understand and appreciate those that would prefer to play other aspects of the game and not deal with such tedious tasks as acquiring the right medication.

How about a system that actually makes players who are sick get weaker, slower or whatever but will 90% of the time allow them to live. If people want to treat themselves it's difficult but rewarding and if they don't they'll just have to suffer through the duration of their illness.

This is close to the current system except I'm suggesting more harsh temporary effects of the illness (reduced speed, loud coughing attracting other players and zombies) and less harsh long-term effects (like death and major blood (and health) loss) :P

Edited by jOKe

I think the standalone system is good. The mod never made me feel like survival was an issue in terms of eating, drinking and even "healing", it was more of a problem if I got shot. I could travel across the map with 2 cans of pop and 2 cans of beans in the mod. I like how in the standalone I have to worry about sprinting everywhere and draining my food levels faster, making sure I have enough supplies before I go somewhere far. It also makes me think twice before getting into a firefight because bandages aren't just littered everywhere in the map.

I think the system will be amazing when the zombie count increases, then there will be a feeling of desperately needing food / water / ammo at the risk of getting killed by the dead.