Sign in to follow this  
RatedTForTom

One Survivor? (Urgent)

Hi, at the moment, it seems that we can only have one character per account. So my question is, will it always be just one survivor, or in the future, will more characters be added in? 

The reason I'm asking is because if it's going to stay as one character per account, then I'm just going to buy another one. Hope I get some quick answers because I'm quick on the trigger when it comes to these things. I get very anxious and just cave lol. 

I don't understand why you would need more than one character?

Well.... I play with someone with the character I have now and when that person is at work, I'm alone. We log out at the same place and I would like to go around exploring but there's the risk of dying, losing all my stuff, and having to find eachother once again. 

Edited by RatedTForTom

I don't understand why you would need more than one character?

I have a situation right now where I am on a spot with a friend and we decided that we will continue from there after christmas but I have another friend who would like to get to know the game more and learn it and I don't really feel like running for couple hours to the spot he is in. 

This is the part where a couple different characters would help quite a lot.

• Like 1

Valid points. Personally, with how often Alpha is going to reset our characters and the random fresh spawn bug that is going on I don't think two accounts are warranted at this time.

I understand. But does anyone know anything about the possibility of more characters or will it just stay like this forever?

I don't think anyone knows just yet, but personally I hope it stays at one character. I understand not being able to play while a friend is offline, I have the same problem some times. I feel that if you did have multiple characters, what's stopping you from bringing 2 characters to the same spot, and dropping stuff so you can hop on and pick it back up on the other character. Kind of defeats the purpose of scavenging for items when you could just drop your other character items. It is an inconvenience having to make your way to your friend over and over again, but, I don't know, I feel that having more than one character would be too easy. Keep one character loaded in a 'drop spot' and anytime you die just make your way back to that drop spot, hop on the other character and you're set. 

Edited by Foxhunt

I can probably help with this.

AT THE MOMENT, you have one character across all servers. That's because all servers are linked in something called the 'public hive'.

In the near future, the devs will release the server files out to the community, and people can start hosting their own private servers which act independently to the rest of the hive. These are called 'private hives'. What you do on a private hive will be completely different to what you do anywhere else. If you're in Balota on a private hive, log out, join another server, walk to Berezino, then log back into the first one again, your character will still be in Balota with whatever gear they had at the time.

This is probably the best solution to your problem - wait for the private hives to come along, then play on one of those with your friend. That way, anything you do anywhere else won't affect that character.

• Like 1

I have a situation right now where I am on a spot with a friend and we decided that we will continue from there after christmas but I have another friend who would like to get to know the game more and learn it and I don't really feel like running for couple hours to the spot he is in. 

Valid point. I'm not sure how we'd work it, I'll have a think and get back on this one. Perhaps when we allow certain servers to operate on their own section of the hive it might alleviate this issue. For example, you could have one character on a hardcore database and one on the normal database.

Multiple characters on the main hive would be a very bad idea. If you thought server hopping and loot farming exploits were hard enough to stop as it is, try it with multiple characters. Not only that, but what would stop anyone from positioning all their characters to multiple sniping spots and then just switching to one they like. It doesn't matter even if they die, they just log with another character and kill the guy looting their body.

Make 3 different levels or something hives, that servers can run if you a tier one hive you have that character only on tier 1 hives, tier 2 you have that character only on tier 2, no advantage or perks for different tiers just that you can have 3 different characters, if you are part of multiple clans?

Server would say

US West - Tier 1 Server - blah blah blah and it only loads your information from a tier one.

or maybe just two you can have a serious character and then a mess around character 

Edited by FortBanditCom

Valid point. I'm not sure how we'd work it, I'll have a think and get back on this one. Perhaps when we allow certain servers to operate on their own section of the hive it might alleviate this issue. For example, you could have one character on a hardcore database and one on the normal database.

Yes please Rocket make hardcore database hive !

I'm really interested in this to be honest. Playing with friends is nice but when someone has to log off and you still want to keep exploring it might be very painful to group up again later on. 

Still I'd prefer to stick with one character/account.

Wouldn't a partying system be an easier fix than having multiple characters?

How would that work though? It shouldn't be able to move your dude around, and you shouldn't be able to select or influence your spawn point. 

Changing the risk of the game so you can get to a friend makes no sense. If you want to wait for your friend, do it. If you want to explore, go do it and come back. The game shouldn't be doing you any favors as far as location goes, these would be FAR too easy to exploit. 

Multiple chars would be okay, but only on totally seperate hives. Again, having more than one that can interact in the same world would me MUCH too easy to exploit. (Mule characters are a lot safer than storing gear in a tent). 

Edited by 5P4RK4

How would that work though? It shouldn't be able to move your dude around, and you shouldn't be able to select or influence your spawn point. 

Changing the risk of the game so you can get to a friend makes no sense. If you want to wait for your friend, do it. If you want to explore, go do it and come back. The game shouldn't be doing you any favors as far as location goes, these would be FAR too easy to exploit. 

Multiple chars would be okay, but only on totally seperate hives. Again, having more than one that can interact in the same world would me MUCH too easy to exploit. (Mule characters are a lot safer than storing gear in a tent). 

Showing up in the same place every time you log on is exactly why server hopping is a problem. Implementing random spawn at every server join helps to curb this problem.  A partying system would just join you with another player when you initially log into your selected server.  coupling this with a camp spawn once you meet some certain criteria makes complete sense to me.  I don't see any logical justification for "changing the risk of the game so you can get to a friend makes no sense"  Please explain to me the possible exploits of party spawning.

There isn't anything wrong with providing people with a convenient way of playing together. I do think giving players multiple characters would be exploitable in that they could do high risk looting, trolling, KOS'ing, etc. and hoard gear for their main without any real consequence. It is bad idea in my opinion.  

This right here is why I love the game. Devs *cough*Rocket*cough* actually read our posts of suggestions and ideas and communicate their view on it! :D

Edited by Tara505

Wow. Random spawn EVERY JOIN? No. please god no. What if my internet drops? I end up in X? Thats insane.  Negating my 1 hour running north to somewhere I want to go, and ending up in a totally random place crazy train for real. Why wouldn't I just relog all the time to get close to where I want to be?

Here's how you do it. Party spawn. 1 person goes to NWAF. 1 Person goes to cherno. I tele to NWAF, get gear. Tele to cherno. Rampage. Repeat. There are tons of ways to exploit any fast travel or location selected spawn on server join. Same with camp spawn. Rampage cherno, out of ammo? Sweet I'll just relog and be back at base. Rinse, repeat. What if I die? No worries. Party spawn with the group. Instantly geared. 

As much as it may inconvenience you, the very premise of this game is based on travelling long distances, often on foot. Orienting yourself and your party and figuring out how and where to meet is 100% "on theme" and an important early step for new players. 

Ghosting is and always has been an issue, but its far less exploitable and easier to prevent than allowing people to transport themselves by joining servers for any reason. If you are in a high risk area you should be constantly on guard anyways. 

I have nothing against multiple toons on seperate hives. But the game should not cater to your convenience, or make it easy for new players to group. These mechanics can and absolutely will be abused. 

Edited by 5P4RK4
  • Like 1

this^^

In the mod I was playing in several groups/combinatins on privat hives.

I prefer each server one character for dayz SA. Many benifits, no server hop, the gear you have feels more worth, you can´t force only day gameplay etc.

I´m not sure why this was not possibel for SA.

Edited by NoCheats

Wow. Random spawn EVERY JOIN? No. please god no. What if my internet drops? I end up in X? Thats insane.  Negating my 1 hour running north to somewhere I want to go, and ending up in a totally random place crazy train for real. Why wouldn't I just relog all the time to get close to where I want to be?

Here's how you do it. Party spawn. 1 person goes to NWAF. 1 Person goes to cherno. I tele to NWAF, get gear. Tele to cherno. Rampage. Repeat. There are tons of ways to exploit any fast travel or location selected spawn on server join. Same with camp spawn. Rampage cherno, out of ammo? Sweet I'll just relog and be back at base. Rinse, repeat. What if I die? No worries. Party spawn with the group. Instantly geared. 

As much as it may inconvenience you, the very premise of this game is based on travelling long distances, often on foot. Orienting yourself and your party and figuring out how and where to meet is 100% "on theme" and an important early step for new players. 

Ghosting is and always has been an issue, but its far less exploitable and easier to prevent than allowing people to transport themselves by joining servers for any reason. If you are in a high risk area you should be constantly on guard anyways. 

I have nothing against multiple toons on seperate hives. But the game should not cater to your convenience, or make it easy for new players to group. These mechanics can and absolutely will be abused. 

What if your internet drops? For most people internet drops of that nature are very seldom, and as it is right now if your internet drops while you are in handcuffs you die. (so harsh punishment is being implemented) Relogging would have a timeout that accumulates each relog. So, abuse would cause you to lose playing time.  With the system I described your abuse of party spawning is impossible unless someone is extremely lucky, and gets NWAF and Cherno in two connections. But NWAF shouldn't even be an available spawn anyhow.  I would also argue that spawning with a partner or two is also "on theme".  So far your only argument against my proposed system is that an internet drop would be very inconvenient, and only so if you were unlucky enough to get 1 or 2 really crappy spawns on reconnect because you could spawn randomly map wide with a lowish time out for the first two or three relogs.  It is also arguable that spawning map wide would be even more of "an important early step for new players" as it forces one to become knowledgeable of the entire map, and not just a few cities along the coast. I would also like to argue that spawning map wide is even more disorienting than spawning on a coast that is very easy to orient in with little experience. It also discourages a "cherno deathmatch' environment that is sooooo prevalent right now, and has been since the mod was released.  Camp spawn is also "on theme" and hard to exploit because if you have your camp in a high traffic area it is going to be at a high risk of being compromised. Even so if you are able to spawn at a camp next to a decent loot area you still have to be lucky enough to get the drops and also loot them before someone else does.  Also, if you can do it others can so I can't imagine how successful you would be raiding a loot area that 15 people have camped around in attempt to do the same thing. I have no idea what you are talking about with the ghosting comments.

I can only think of some cooldowns when quitting and joining another server.