Ozar

Idea of a new rescource that forces to team up.

Hi Focs, (sry for my bad english)

I am lovin this game and thinking about it a lot while not gaming.

So i was layin in my bed after a really awesome night in chernarus with my friends and was thinking about how WE could force people to team up.

And suddenly I had that great idea about another rescource such as blood and health and hunger. And that is:

THE MORAL

It is a prooven fact that humans are "designed" to live in groups. You even can get very ill/sick if you are on your own very long.

So, why not come up with this new rescource MORAL that fills up when you close to a player or even have created some kind of group (with inviting etc.). From there its very easy to complete this idea. We could have textmessages like: "Your are happy to have Peter around you" etc. !

And you could get sick or restless if you are on your own. I heard Dean talking about drugs ingame, so why not using them to fill up that moral with drugs if you are lonely (but its not that good as having friends around !!!) , i thinks this sounds pretty realistic.

How do you guys think about this idea ?

Best regards

Ozar

Edited by Ozar
  • Like 3

I must +1 this! It sounds like a good idea! There needs to be a group system though, so the moral only works if you're in a group, otherwise people will just keep an eye on their moral to see if they are close to other players to kill them. 

No. There is no good reason to punish lone players with game mechanics. Find your own friends and don't force me to play with others.

• Like 5

No. There is no good reason to punish lone players with game mechanics. Find your own friends and don't force me to play with others.

I agree, we shouldn't have to be forced to play with others if we don't want to. You have friends for that.

This is a zombie/player survival game, not WoW. I like hiding in the shadows and fearing fellow players. If I see somebody, I'm either gonna get cocky and try to kill them for loot, or run for the hills lol (most likely I'll run, I'm not too much of a thrill seeker o.O).

The fact alone that playing with other people basically makes you into a big killing machine should be enough incentive for players to play with their friends as it is. Honestly, if I see just 2 people together, I wont even think to try to kill them unless I'm desperate for supplies.

Edited by Tara505

Yeah, I don't like the idea that anyone should be 'forced' to do anything in DayZ - that's not the kind of game it is. If people want to work together, they will. If they want to play alone, we should let them.

I think you mean "morale" rather than "moral." Anyways, I agree with the opinions rejecting the idea above. Nice idea, but not everyone needs companionship to stay sane (especially in a zombie apocalypse where murder happens frequently).

Oh , this are good arguements that changed my view on this issue a bit.

You are right , nobody should be forced to do anything.

Another Problem would be, what to do if you cannot find a player.

But here come the drugs into the game. The Drugs could be a second way to put up your moral without the need to play with others.

I don't know, maybe it  wasnt a good idea, but

nice to see that we can talk about it guys.

keep it up straight and have a nice day

• Like 3

I lone wolf everything in DayZ. Working with others is risky, not only because they could back stab me but because they are often idiots and don't understand the concept of speed looting and slowly approaching areas whilst scanning for signs of players.

• Like 1

This game is COMPLETELY player driven, meaning technically the only goal is to survive. We're given the tools and resources we need to not only do just that in a hostile environment, but also do it however we want to do it. Morale is a good idea, just not implemented in a way that gives players such an incentive to group up that if you don't do so, you're at an even bigger disadvantage than you usually would be if you're a loner. As others have said, that basically forces people to interact a certain way in a game that's all about uncertain interactions. Maybe this morale system could be implemented in a different way. Such as... if you've been eating/drinking just enough to get by and running around for kilometers on end, your morale gets low and thus you have a greater chance of getting sick or breaking a leg if injured. Whereas if you've been generally stationary or walking instead of running, and have consistently been eating/drinking along with sustaining no injuries, your chances of getting sick or breaking a leg or etc decrease, even if you may not have purified your water or something. Of course, before implementing yet another complex new equation that calculates itself in the background, Rocket and the gang are probably going to be polishing everything and working out all the kinks of existing systems and processes first...Hopefully ;)

Oh , this are good arguements that changed my view on this issue a bit.

You are right , nobody should be forced to do anything.

Another Problem would be, what to do if you cannot find a player.

But here come the drugs into the game. The Drugs could be a second way to put up your moral without the need to play with others.

I don't know, maybe it  wasnt a good idea, but

nice to see that we can talk about it guys.

keep it up straight and have a nice day

Yeah, it wasn't the worst suggestion in the world, and in another game it could work, but in DayZ it just wouldn't quite fit. :)

It'll be interesting to see how they approach morale and so on, whether it simply stays high if you have plenty of food and drink and aren't injured/sick, or whether there are other factors too. Certainly one worth thinking about.

A lone human in extreme conditions is more affected by emotional stress. Usually lone survivor has fastly developing reactive psycological conditions, quite often this survivor will get into major depression. In a long isolation people can have auditory and visual hallucinations.

So, basically, you really need someone to stay sane. Especially in a zombie apocalypse. Saying "I need no one" is good... while you have a lot of people around you.

Some people hate the idea of teaming up with strangers.

I don't mind it... but still they have more to gain by just shooting me and that's all that bothers me.

Maybe Morale could be gained by resting/ sitting near fires/ reading books for the lone survivor.

If it isn't hard to implement, this is still alpha and it never really has been tested properly.

What's the name of the sickness you can get if you are being alone for too long?

wtf is that

Pretty sur tom hank didnt caught aids from mr. wilson

What's the name of the sickness you can get if you are being alone for too long?

wtf is that

Pretty sur tom hank didnt caught aids from mr. wilson

There are countless mental issues people can develop.

Ok, thats a good question.

I found a answer in one german magazin.

(http://www.focus.de/gesundheit/ratgeber/krebs/vorbeugung/tid-17094/forschungsfakten-krankheitsfaktor-einsamkeit_aid_476551.html)

It says that you have a higher risk (3 x higher) to get cancer and the risk to die from it is higher too.

Also you can get halluzinations and seriuos mental problems up to thoughts about killing yourself  (just watch the end of the trailer EDIT: SPOILER ALARM)

But don't see a way to use that for Dayz.

The actuall root of this idea was the problem of people killing on sight.

I thought it would open a way that people are actually get happy about seeing somebody in this extrem enviroment.

But the fact that different gamers have different ways to play dayz is a problem to balance this new rescource - moral.

Edited by Ozar
  • Like 2

Every time I get awkward with a player that didn't want to shoot me I just ask if he wants to trade ammo/attachments.

PS. Non-curable disease won't do, players can just kill themselves and run back to the body :/

Edited by Hosty

Thats the next problem of this idea.

EDIT: Balancing a Game is very hard i think :)

Edited by Ozar

Every time I get awkward with a player that didn't want to shoot me I just ask if he wants to trade ammo/attachments.

PS. Non-curable disease won't do, players can just kill themselves and run back to the body :/

... Unless all the gear on the body was infected with said disease!!!

KOS exists as predominantly as it does now for one reason: Zombies aren't enough of a threat, people create threats with other players. If working with others was more beneficial than killing them, Kos would drastically reduce.

• encourage people to be quiet.make zombies less aware of stealthy people, more aware of noisy ones. Gunshots should be major dinner bells.
  • add so many zombies that starting any skirmish is dangerous. Shooting someone should draw every zed within a kilometer at a full run. There aren't enough zeds right now.
  • Have zombies be attracted to blood, bleeding and bodies. they should frenzy for flesh like a gunshot. make players hesitate to ring the dinner bell.
  • make guns as plentiful as you want, keep ammo very scarce. Pretend most of it got used during the outbreak and ensuing panic.Having everyone with a gun on their back leaves people wondering if they have ammo and could shoot back.
  • again, add more zombies.
  • then add more for emphasis.

/2cents

• Like 1

Ok, thats a good question.

I found a answer in one german magazin.

(http://www.focus.de/gesundheit/ratgeber/krebs/vorbeugung/tid-17094/forschungsfakten-krankheitsfaktor-einsamkeit_aid_476551.html)

It says that you have a higher risk (3 x higher) to get cancer and the risk to die from it is higher too.

Also you can get halluzinations and seriuos mental problems up to thoughts about killing yourself  (just watch the end of the trailer EDIT: SPOILER ALARM)

But don't see a way to use that for Dayz.

Take a look at depression for example, as loneliness can directly lead to it - thought disorder, movement dormancy, fatigue. Not bad for just a "mood"? That can be easely used in DayZ. Fear and loneliness are very important factors in survival.

Edited by Homiak

• add so many zombies that starting any skirmish is dangerous. Shooting someone should draw every zed within a kilometer at a full run. There aren't enough zeds right now.
  • Have zombies be attracted to blood, bleeding and bodies. they should frenzy for flesh like a gunshot. make players hesitate to ring the dinner bell.
  • make guns as plentiful as you want, keep ammo very scarce. Pretend most of it got used during the outbreak and ensuing panic.Having everyone with a gun on their back leaves people wondering if they have ammo and could shoot back.

yes , those are good points , i would support that.

• Like 1

... Unless all the gear on the body was infected with said disease!!!

That's smart.

But then it will be an epidemy on every server from just 1 guy lol.

Edited by Hosty

Hmmm, now that players spawn almost starving :)

What a clever way to lower the effectiveness of that, I never realised it before.

Yeah, I don't like the idea that anyone should be 'forced' to do anything in DayZ - that's not the kind of game it is. If people want to work together, they will. If they want to play alone, we should let them.

no one will be forced to do anything.

There is already 90% bandits in Day Z turning the ultimate cooperative survival into a cod death match.

Fine, they can play their stupid game

Let the smart people have a small bonus for WORKING AS A TEAM!

The selfishness of some people is outstanding.