blurhitz

How to change a KOS'er mentality?

So me and a friend play DayZ for a while and now that the SA is out we are already rolling in.

The thing is, I have another friend that wants to play with us and he is kind of retarded and thinks DayZ is about "hey i'm going to play dayz to play with you guys let's troll everyone and kill the whole server, i want to be a player killer (bla bla bla)". He won't understand that this fucks up the game. I've tried everything but he's just retarded.

I'd like to play with him, but not while he has this CoD kid mentality. Do you guys have a tip? Have you ever go thru this situation before?

Just so you know his retardation level, he is the kind of guy who kills on sight saying "hu3 hu3 hu3 BR", fucking up the country's image in the gaming world... If he keeps being stupid I'll enjoy if his PC doesn't run the game...

PS.: I didn't post this in the Standalone forum but this is all about Standalone... can any moderator please move it to SA General Discussion? I didn't see that new forum

Edited by xBlurHitz

I don't think there is much you could do.  I have several friends like that and I just don't play SA with them because they have that KOS everyone mentality.

You could try explaining to him how shooting people will break some of their gear.  Maybe that will work?

Shoot him in the face as soon as you can and ask him ''HOW DO YA LIKE THIS BIATCH??'' :D

Or team up with your other friend and punish him for any unnecessary killing :) Handcuff him, and steal stuff from him :D

• Like 1

i used to kos but when the handcuffs came i arrested so many people, ive been so happy :D

You're asking the wrong question. It's not yours, mine or anyone else's duty or role to change someone's mentality towards others in a game. That's something that you'd need a psychologist and a lot of time for.

Kill on sight gameplay has a role to play in the DayZ universe. It absolutely does - if you knew for sure that no player would ever shoot you without provocation, 50% of the fun would be sucked out of the game instantly. The issue is that in the mod there was simply too much of it - it was too easy a tactic to use, and it was too effective.

I had a chat with R4Z0R about it in teamspeak one day, and he made a very good point - 'No matter what you do, some people are going to want to play the game their way - if you took all the weapons out of the SA, people would be running round Elektro in their pants punching each other'. It's simply human nature - if you put 50 players in a room with nothing but a waffle iron, I'd give it about five minutes before someone dies of suspicious waffle-related injuries.

I bet he's also the kind of kid to get mad when someone does it to him. Try to explain how a TRUE bandit works. AKA holding people hostage, straight up robbing, handcuffing, stealing the persons blood for later.. There's so much more fun to be had if people don't just instantly shoot at anything that moves! Other then that, tell em to uninstall for the sake of us all.

• Like 1

Well... He could try to be a tactical KoS'er? Most high value target use KoS anyway, and there would be no reason for awesome gear unless you wanted to pvp, so tell him that those are free game, while sparing those without guns who do not approach. There is a reason why you would KoS in real life, but if there is no threat posed, then there is no reason to give your position either.

I love firefights (hate dying), the thrill of being ambushed (taking cover and returning fire), is fun. I do detest the whole killing freshies by the coast etc.

If he gets bored he could camp the NWAF or something.

Guys I already tried all the things you told me to  :(

But you are right; he won't change his mentality.

I'm thinking of killing him everytime his shoots a player, so he thinks the player returned fire and that's the punishment for being stupid. Maybe this will work...

Edited by xBlurHitz

Guys I already tried all the things you told me to  :(

But you are right; he won't change his mentality.

I'm thinking of killing him everytime his shoots a player, so he thinks the player returned fire and that's the punishment for being stupid. Maybe this will work...

1. He spawns.

2. Tell him you're at the other side of the map. You will of course be right next to him.

3. Shoot him.

4. Shoot him again

5. Again

6. AGAIN!

Until he says "Fuck KoS". It will work. Maybe. Yes.

• Like 2

I bet he's also the kind of kid to get mad when someone does it to him. Try to explain how a TRUE bandit works. AKA holding people hostage, straight up robbing, handcuffing, stealing the persons blood for later.. There's so much more fun to be had if people don't just instantly shoot at anything that moves! Other then that, tell em to uninstall for the sake of us all.

Oh a "TRUE" bandit would do something this way, or that way, or... Mr. High and Almighty, never shoot someone if they could just rob them?

This thread is a joke.  As someone mentioned in a post speaking with Razor, people will play how they want to play.  That is the nature of sandbox games that give you the freedom to make your choices on your gameplay.  Just because you don't like someone elses style of play does not mean it is a/the wrong way to play this game.  The object is to survive...nothing more, nothing less.  If I survive by shooting your face off, then I survived and you didn't.

The "holy grace by jesus almighty i'm better than you because I don't KOS or play bandit" is so insanely retarded that it just makes you closed minded about this whole "fun" factor.

Play the game how you want!  That is the beauty of this game!  Don't want to KOS, don't do it.  Don't want to be a Bandit, don't do it.  Have fun!  I don't begrudge anyone for playing a hero's role.  But because I play a KOS bandit i'm begrudged because I somehow ruined your gameplay.  Guess what, you didn't survive, I did.  The end.  Better luck with your next games life since you.... get to respawn!

• Like 1

@ Tek

Yes, people will play as they want to, you have freedom and choices: you also have consequences. This thread is one of the consequences of being a KOS bandit - KOS gameplay is the most disruptive and least interesting (for the other player/victim anyway) type of play there is in DayZ (IMO). That is why it get's so much hate.

If you play KOS bandit, you have to except the hate that comes along with the territory.

EDIT: Edited to be less inflammatory...

Edited by Hoik

@ Tek

Yes, people will play as they want to, you have freedom and choices: you also have consequences. This thread is one of the consequences of being a KOS bandit - KOS gameplay is the most disruptive and least interesting (for the other player/victim anyway) type of play there is in DayZ (IMO). That is why it get's so much hate.

If you play KOS bandit, you have to except the hate that comes along with the territory.

EDIT: Edited to be less inflammatory...

I can handle the hate that comes at me.  That doesn't bother me.  It's the holier than though attitude that permeates these people who think KOS is bad and not how the game was "meant to be played" that gets me.

I play as I want and I don't begrudge anyone elses game play.  But people begrudge my game play because they "think" there way is better or more "fulfilling" somehow... whatever the heck there reasoning is supposed to mean.

I think this is a complicated issue.

I was lucky enough to be a DayZ player way way back in the very early days (less than 10 servers) in April/May 2012.

I was introduced to the game by a friend and as I entered Cherno for the first time I found a sniper rifle.

I went on to take out a number of survivors with said rifle during the night (it was very early days and people were clustering around flares inside the urban areas).

I enjoyed this a great deal at the time—the feeling of superiority over the apparently helpless others who lacked  the gear to return fire in the night/at range.

I think part of the thrill of kill on sighting is that you are in a position of "ultimate" power, particularly if you haven't been spotted. You have an appreciation for the effort that goes into getting a decent loadout and consequently when you kill another player with good loot you (at least I did) get the excitement of depriving someone of their hard earned kit.

However, mindless killing on sight soon became quite tedious and by far the most rewarding experiences I had in DayZ was functioning as part of a team striving towards common goals. I still fondly recall the very real tension of encountering another group with my own squad for the first time. This was one of the most intense gaming experiences I've ever had. Why? Well both groups were well kitted out and equally sized (5 people a peice). We both rather frantically tried to avoid causing a point blank shootout and happily succedded. Indeed, we managed to exchange some useful information and then left on our way in opposite directions. That was brilliant experience precisely because of the fear factor that life is so cheap in DayZ (or at least it was way back when!).

That tension was only present because the world of DayZ is a dangerous place and, excepting the Zeds who casually saunter through walls, your biggest foe is the other people who make their home on the server you're playing on. Players like your friend OP, who indescriminantly kill, are part of this.

However, I think most long term players will at least retire from being entirely without restraint just because I think it eventually gets tiresome to play a psychopath—it's much more rewarding to play a character (at least in my opinion) with allies or at least a set of principles (e.g. don't shoot people with low value gear/who seem decent people).

Phew, first post in a long long time! Hopefully something of value was shared!

:P

Edited by Goose Springsteen

Make the zombies more deadly, You need to team up to even get near a structure to get loot.

So me and a friend play DayZ for a while and now that the SA is out we are already rolling in.

The thing is, I have another friend that wants to play with us and he is kind of retarded and thinks DayZ is about "hey i'm going to play dayz to play with you guys let's troll everyone and kill the whole server, i want to be a player killer (bla bla bla)". He won't understand that this fucks up the game. I've tried everything but he's just retarded.

I'd like to play with him, but not while he has this CoD kid mentality. Do you guys have a tip? Have you ever go thru this situation before?

Just so you know his retardation level, he is the kind of guy who kills on sight saying "hu3 hu3 hu3 BR", fucking up the country's image in the gaming world... If he keeps being stupid I'll enjoy if his PC doesn't run the game...

PS.: I didn't post this in the Standalone forum but this is all about Standalone... can any moderator please move it to SA General Discussion? I didn't see that new forum

Tell him hostage taking is more fun and go and do some non-lethal banditing.

Take him to a high loot area and let him gather loot and gear up. Then shoot him in the back and take all his stuff, then use that stuff to camp the coast and shoot him until he no longer wants to play then tell him "I thought you liked the idea of KOS"

Some people are just idiots.  I had one new spawn with no gear chase me down and try to punch me to death,  Some face time with Sweet Lady Wrench calmed him down.

until this pos AI resembles something of the 21st century there is not much u can do. sucks but it is what it is.

Also, dean, spawn us in random places. include the north e and north w cities (Vybor etc etc).

NOTHING promotes KOS sniping like the current spawn mechanics we now have..lol wow

I thought we went over this stuff years ago..:D

You band together against the KOS menace! Work as a team people. Then the one who gets killed is the K.OSer

Find them, get the drop on them, handcuff them, force feed them rotten fruit, and tell them they have 20 seconds to be out of LOS. Getting that to happen is the SA endgame for me at the moment.

Buy him Arma 2, say "here, this so much more fun than DayZ". If he buys DayZ just kill him over and over again and tell him that's not how you're meant to play this game. maybe tell him there's only 2 guns and almost no ammo. Or if he kills unarmed people he'll get kicked/banned

Edited by King of kong

You can't change his mind, that's the governments job. 

If you don't like the way he acts then you can certainly kill him whenever he does it or just don't associate yourself with him.  Though for the rest of us (for lack of a better term) true friendlies please do the former option.

How to change a KOS'er mentality?

Step 1: Stop trying to tell me how to play the game, Sherlock. If I want to KoS, I'm going to.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby