Doge (DayZ)

Update 113772 - Opening cans with sharp tools

Am I the only one who can't figure out how to open canned foods with sharp tools? Pls halp :rolleyes:

Right-Click the screwdriver/knife-> drag it over your can or whatever -> release that mouse.
A "open can with screwdriver/knife" should appear.

But didn't test it yet...

Edited by Gaint

But why doesn't the screwdriver work? I have so much canned food. No can opener, but a screwdriver. 

I heard only the m4 bayonet works. not confirmed.

Any bayonet works

Using the M91 Bayonet, dragging it over a can only allows for swapping, I'm trying to use it on 3 different cans of sardines.

Edited by Arcticia

Its currently bugged, it works fine for some people using the normal combine mechanics. Others of us the icon stays red when you drag a pristine sharp bit onto a can. (It should turn orange)

Has anyone tried it with an axe?

Logged out yesterday when my hunger almost made me pass out, hoping this update would give my char a last chance to open that friggin can in the inventory and survive a bit longer.

Gah, still at work so I can't test it...

Hope they'll update the loot situation soon. Scoured Staroye for something to eat yesterday, but the whole place was devoid of anything. Suckz...

Edited by Grabarz

My axe works just fine. I just right click on the item and the option to automatically use the axe to open it pops up. 

Proven to be working: canopener, kitchen knife, screwdriver, even axe. But open with different tools will make you spill some of the content. Only canopener is 100% spill-free.

• Like 1

tool has to be in your hand it seems, axe can waste up to 70% of a can, 

well implemented I would say

• Like 1

What Pongo said, the tool MUST be in your hands to use it to open food. Also, keep in mind that canned food has its damage rating, I do not have hard figures but its this concept. If you have a (however much) damaged can of food, when you open it up it will become a 'pristine' open can of food, but will not be %100. e.g. (again not hard figures) a damaged can of beans will = a %82 pristine open can of beans. If you open it with any other toll than a can opener, you will have even more loss, so in the above example, same can opened with an axe might only be %55-60 open.

Bel: the damage of the can has had no adverse affect on the amount of food, as far as my experiments have shown. What you're likely seeing is a food loss from using a tool other than a can opener. All other tools cause "spillage."