Sign in to follow this  
Xianyu

Loot distribution is all wrong

So, I was looking around, and I've seen messages about people carrying all sorts of crazy shit. M4s with scopes, silencers, bayonets, etc etc etc.

I didn't understand it.

I trekked from one corner of the map to the other. I searched building after building after building to find my shit.

I felt quite accomplished when I found a handful of 7.62 rounds to put in the mosin nagant I took off a KOS prick who tried to beat my head in with a pipe wrench. I was excited when I got hold of my pistol, even though it only had a single round in it.

I had a Hoxton mask, an axe, and a backpack. I had my mosin, my pistol, two safety boxes filled with food and water. I had spent hours gathering all of this gear.

This is my character at that point:

2nks7x4.jpg

And this is my characters as of five minutes ago, after spending ten minutes looting a military base.

2h3zp7c.jpg

An M4, a new, larger backpack, a gas mask. Bayonet on the M4, a new bipod (I didn't swap out the old one).What you can't see is the new pistol in my backpack, the two extra mags of 5.56 ammunition, two medpacks, and more 7.62 ammunition. I left behind another M4, another pistol,another two camping bags and another medpack.

Fuck, I even found a SUPPRESSOR up there. I promptly lost it because I dragged it towards my M4 and it didn't take (maybe because of the bayonet?).

But one trip to a military base geared me up ten times better than the hundred or so houses I'd searched on the way there.

And fuck, I was at the very meanest of military bases. I was at the northwest airfield. There were a total of five military buildings. Two hangers, an air tower, and two of the buildings that were previously inaccessable (which I love that you can enter now, btw).

But this loot skewing is just so wrong.

The only way to get weapons capable of actually killing other players (or defending against them), requires going right to the very places that are filled with the people who will be using said weapons. To kill you.

Military bases are basically guaranteed weapon areas, while everywhere else is 'kindly go fuck yourself' territory. You might find a rifle or a pistol, but good luck finding ammo!

So, what does that leave us with?

People who get the military bases first? M4s for everyone! Scopes, silencers, bayonets, magazines!

People who get there second? Axes, and lots of bullet holes.

It's pretty clear that if you want to murder unarmed players, the easiest way to do so will be to hang around military areas. One trip is all that's needed to get everything you need to do whatever you want, so the people with M4s will fuck off and go somewhere else, while only the noobs who have no weapons will venture into the military bases hoping to find a weapon.

Easy pickings.

And yeah, before you say. I fucking get it. It's an alpha.

Which would make it the single best time to point shit like this out.

• Like 2

I hate to say it but, it's an alpha.

They're making the weapons from scratch and only a few are ready. I'm sure we'll see more civilian type weapon spawns in time.

Keeping the m4's in military spawns only makes sense, and there seem to be plenty to go around. Both weapons and military buildings. (I'm loving the new Chernarus, though I would like to see daylight one day)

The balancing act with loot is likely to change quite a few times in the near future so I wouldn't worry too much about it right now.

The SA was supposed to be hard core survival.Every steam so far Iv seen,they are fully kitted out,ARs,scopes,silencers,sniper rifles shite loads of ammo,food then KOS.Nothing has changed or is any different from other mods.

Im not buying its alpha excuse,Its deliberate

To get sales it has to appeal to the codkiddie that will make up 90% of sales,get gun(the only danger here is tripping over them and breaking a leg) and then "noobs gonna get PWNED Brah",die rinse&repeat.

The SA was supposed to be hard core survival.Every steam so far Iv seen,they are fully kitted out,ARs,scopes,silencers,sniper rifles shite loads of ammo,food then KOS.Nothing has changed or is any different from other mods.

To get sales it has to appeal to the codkiddie that will make up 90% of sales,get gun(the only danger here is tripping over them and breaking a leg) and then "noobs gonna get PWNED Brah",die rinse&repeat.

You sir obviously can't comprehend Alpha... As we play, things will be added and changed as the metrics of the actual playing of the Alpha is analysed. They will balance things and rectify the bugs and other issues as time passes. Do you actually think they can do this within a day and a half of Alpha release?

It might be a lot harder once zombies are actually in the game.

Which is going to exacerbate this situation even more. People will need guns to survive.Military bases are teeming with guns. Guns are nowhere else.

So, I was looking around, and I've seen messages about people carrying all sorts of crazy shit. M4s with scopes, silencers, bayonets, etc etc etc.

I didn't understand it.

I trekked from one corner of the map to the other. I searched building after building after building to find my shit.

I felt quite accomplished when I found a handful of 7.62 rounds to put in the mosin nagant I took off a KOS prick who tried to beat my head in with a pipe wrench. I was excited when I got hold of my pistol, even though it only had a single round in it.

I had a Hoxton mask, an axe, and a backpack. I had my mosin, my pistol, two safety boxes filled with food and water. I had spent hours gathering all of this gear.

This is my character at that point:

2nks7x4.jpg

And this is my characters as of five minutes ago, after spending ten minutes looting a military base.

2h3zp7c.jpg

An M4, a new, larger backpack, a gas mask. Bayonet on the M4, a new bipod (I didn't swap out the old one).What you can't see is the new pistol in my backpack, the two extra mags of 5.56 ammunition, two medpacks, and more 7.62 ammunition. I left behind another M4, another pistol,another two camping bags and another medpack.

Fuck, I even found a SUPPRESSOR up there. I promptly lost it because I dragged it towards my M4 and it didn't take (maybe because of the bayonet?).

But one trip to a military base geared me up ten times better than the hundred or so houses I'd searched on the way there.

And fuck, I was at the very meanest of military bases. I was at the northwest airfield. There were a total of five military buildings. Two hangers, an air tower, and two of the buildings that were previously inaccessable (which I love that you can enter now, btw).

But this loot skewing is just so wrong.

The only way to get weapons capable of actually killing other players (or defending against them), requires going right to the very places that are filled with the people who will be using said weapons. To kill you.

Military bases are basically guaranteed weapon areas, while everywhere else is 'kindly go fuck yourself' territory. You might find a rifle or a pistol, but good luck finding ammo!

So, what does that leave us with?

People who get the military bases first? M4s for everyone! Scopes, silencers, bayonets, magazines!

People who get there second? Axes, and lots of bullet holes.

It's pretty clear that if you want to murder unarmed players, the easiest way to do so will be to hang around military areas. One trip is all that's needed to get everything you need to do whatever you want, so the people with M4s will fuck off and go somewhere else, while only the noobs who have no weapons will venture into the military bases hoping to find a weapon.

Easy pickings.

And yeah, before you say. I fucking get it. It's an alpha.

Which would make it the single best time to point shit like this out.

M4...Must be removed...Pls replace wit AK, Volvo plaz fix

• Like 1

It might be a lot harder once zombies are actually in the game.

Once sales revenues cover the cost of production,new boots for rocket to climb mount Everest, we might see the bait&switch from I PWNED noobs Brah to This game sucksBrah ,its to hard.

Which is going to exacerbate this situation even more. People will need guns to survive.Military bases are teeming with guns. Guns are nowhere else.

So nothing has changed yet?

Once sales revenues cover the cost of production,new boots for rocket to climb mount Everest, we might see the bait&switch from I PWNED noobs Brah to This game sucksBrah ,its to hard.

So nothing has changed yet?

It's gotten worse than the mod.

At least in the mod you can find the odd pistol. A Dinner Bell. Or something.

In the alpha it's military base or bust.

What i dont get, is where this SA is going to stop KoS, based around hard core survival came from??(kinda like 2017... which was popular for all o an hour,. before everyone realized it was tedious and boring as all hell, and been empty since)) I've asked most times i ve seen a thread whining about KoS in the Mod, with people claiming this isnt what its about etc where they've gotten that from.(which i agree, its not all about, but it is a part)

I ask this, because the way i see it... the Zombies were about forcing players into making hard decisions, killing there mates etc to survive... or teaming up and "cleansing an area/spawn of competition" etc.. This is why dayz is so good... a lone wolf sniper is going to get pawned by a well organized group... and lone wolf survivor, should be like a frightened deer.

I was playing the mod since quite a while back, before i joined forums, but was reading the forums really since i started playing... i recall rocket sorta coining the care bear... (some comment about going back to their kingdom of caring  ;) i dont recall exactly, long time ago) And ive certainly seen him write about being consequences for choices... But i have never seen him comment about stopping KoS?

It's gotten worse than the mod.

At least in the mod you can find the odd pistol. A Dinner Bell. Or something.

In the alpha it's military base or bust.

Ill stick with the Breaking Point mod as Iv already payed BIS once to play zombie mod,not paying twice for the same thing.

The loot table seems a little messed up at times.Iv run 4klms and found only one iron sight weapon and died 5 times getting it,and thats what Im looking for,not this shite.

Have you all missed the fact that there are currently only 3 guns in the game?

I can't possibly understand how any house hold/civilian would be packing m4's with high powered scopes.

If you understand it's an alpha then you probably understand that they will add more thing, like guns, no?

You have a brain for a reason, use it.

I'll be killing on sight every time I get gun beacause this is the way I enjoy the game and I'm not the only one. Stop crying and hide in woods.

Edited by George Fatality

Have you all missed the fact that there are currently only 3 guns in the game?

I can't possibly understand how any house hold/civilian would be packing m4's with high powered scopes.

If you understand it's an alpha then you probably understand that they will add more thing, like guns, no?

You have a brain for a reason, use it.

Why don't you use your brain and understand that 'alpha' does not mean a game is above critique. It means the exact opposite, in fact.

And just, by the way, the pistol, mosin, and M4 have a distribution something like this: Mosin - nowhere. As rare as the CZ550 in the mod. Pistol - also nowhere in the civilian areas, even though it does spawn there (That's where I found mine).

And yet military areas have scopes, rifles, pistols, bags, and everything else just falling out of them.

If the alpha continues in this vein, with military areas overflowing with guns and attachments, then it's going to end up the exact same way as the mod. KOS with high powered weapons because they're far, far too easy to find.

But, wait, it's an ALPHA, so obviously we can't say anything bad about it without sheep like you bleating 'alpha! Alpha!' over and over and over again like it means a fucking thing.

• Like 1

I'm under the impression that alpha means "work in progress."

So yeah, as of now, since a there is only 3 guns, every one will flock to the military spawns.

I guess what I was trying to say was:

A) Stop crying and get over it

or

B) Put the game down and come back to it later

You talk as if an alpha is a fully developed game. Which is why "sheep" like me must correct ignorant fools like you.

Take a break. Make coffee. Go smoke a cigarette for fucks sake. Whatever will take you away from the mind set of "why isn't the alpha perfect?!"

Damn.

I'm under the impression that alpha means "work in progress."

So yeah, as of now, since a there is only 3 guns, every one will flock to the military spawns.

I guess what I was trying to say was:

A) Stop crying and get over it

or

B) Put the game down and come back to it later

You talk as if an alpha is a fully developed game. Which is why "sheep" like me must correct ignorant fools like you.

Take a break. Make coffee. Go smoke a cigarette for fucks sake. Whatever will take you away from the mind set of "why isn't the alpha perfect?!"

Damn.

Uhm, so you would have everyone who ever plays the alpha ever 'stop crying and get over it'? I'm afraid that's not the point of a fucking alpha.

Holy shit you must have some serious cognitive dissonance going on up there.

On one hand you say 'it's not fully developed' and then the other you say 'so shut the fuck up'. Those two ideas do not go hand-in-hand.

If everyone just 'stopped crying and got over it' then there wouldn't need to be an alpha, would there? The entire point of the alpha is to find balance and eradicate bugs. And I'm saying right now, there is no balance.

The military areas are spawning too many weapons, attachments, medical supplies, and everything else. They are basically a guaranteed stop for not only weapons, but ammunition and medical supplies as well. And the people who gear up at the military areas are almost untouchable for anyone who doesn't. Weapons spawn too sparsely in civilian areas for anybody to effectively combat someone who spent ten minutes in a military area.

By spending ten minutes in a military area, a player basically makes themselves untouchable to the other players. Watch some streams. From what I hear it's just guys with silenced M4s picking off helpless other players who are armed only with axes. Which is the kind of thing that Rocket was apparently trying to steer the standalone away from.

But this problem is going to exist even with an introduction of hordes of zombies. Because the military spots are spawning weapons and ammunition at a rate exponentionally higher than any other area in the game.

People who want to kill other players will just run to the military areas, gear up, and go hunt players. And because of the fact that military areas are the only areas that actually have weapons and ammo in them, they're going to be completely uncontested.

In the mod, you could go to a barn and pick up a dinner bell. You could wander off to a fire station and get a shotgun. You could find pistols and whatnot with some regularity in residential areas.

But as of this moment there is no dynamic. Period. You either search a hundred buildings in the weak hope of finding a weapon and ammunition, or you go, unarmed, into a military area.

Wanna guess how that'll end? Spend ten minutes in balota on any server for some idea. Don't worry. I'll wait.

BTW I have put the game down. Until 3AM tonight. When the sun comes up.

But I have an M4, a pistol, food, water, and medical supplies. So it's not like I need to really loot anything any more. I'm at the current 'end game' after ten minutes in a military base. That's not right.

And if no one says it's not right, it'll never get fixed.

At the moment, everyone is struggling to get off the coast because they die of thirst within 10 minutes. Wait until everyone realises that you actually need to head north to get good gear, then gear like this will be much less common as it only spawns once. People will get in firefights over M4's and larger backpacks. The game's barely been out for over a day yet.

If nobody finds anything, how will they get to test it...? Maybe this is why military loot is so prevalent at the moment...

I just found a new military installment north of Kamenka. high value military spawns were always a death trap in the mod. it should be a little better now that they're more spread out

Military bases will likely be highly-infested with zombies once the optimizations are finished -- so it's risk vs reward thing.  I would imagine that we'll see good alternatives to arm ourselves as the alpha progresses.

• Like 1

The entire point of the alpha is to find balance and eradicate bugs

And I completely agree with you, 100%. But I'm afraid having only 3 weapons in the game is not a bug.

The fact of the matter is the game has been out for a day. They are going to ADD items into the game. Once there are more weapons, there will be more variety in where players go to find them.

The great thing about dayz is that no one can tell you how to play. It's a game the uses free will. So eliminating KOS is impossible. If one wishes to kill one will kill.

As for spending ten minutes in bolota, believe me I have. I just got done spending an hour and a half in NWAF, and saw one player.

Protip: get off the coast.

But anyway, thanks for the debate. I'm now aware of how a 12 year olds mind operates. :)

The entire point of the alpha is to find balance and eradicate bugs

And I completely agree with you, 100%. But I'm afraid having only 3 weapons in the game is not a bug.

The fact of the matter is the game has been out for a day. They are going to ADD items into the game. Once there are more weapons, there will be more variety in where players go to find them.

The great thing about dayz is that no one can tell you how to play. It's a game the uses free will. So eliminating KOS is impossible. If one wishes to kill one will kill.

As for spending ten minutes in bolota, believe me I have. I just got done spending an hour and a half in NWAF, and saw one player.

But anyway, thanks for the debate. I'm now aware of how a 12 year olds mind operates. :)

Hmn? I thought you were so good at killing and outsmarting bandits? Loot is too common atm, and Balota turned into a weapon factory. Change those things, make loot respawn and we'll be off much better.

less attachments more zombies 

everyone said its good for game being reality to reduce supplies u can find  and point out the game is about surviving in apocalypse

but this less supp with few zombies .i cant imagine if they add more and more zombies and fix their AI what will happen in a world with helmes pants caps everywhere but not knifes matchs canned food bottle or anything useful for u to survive

Yeah, because finding all my stuff in the north east airfield is 'on the coast'.

I went from the coast, between Cherno and Elektro, clear across the map, looting as I went.

And this problem is not a problem of 'only having three guns', but rather the fact that military areas spawn too many guns. Once they add more guns, the problem is going to get worse.

I found two rifles, and two pistols, as well as probably a hundred rounds of ammunition and I didn't even search the final building.

Also, so edgy calling me a twelve year old, try not to cut anybody.

I'm personally not having any real issues finding stuff. Yes I go to the military bases to get some stuff ON OCCASION! I am a sneaky and cautious player I stake out places and make plans before I actually go in. I have marked out an entire map with escape routes out of the military bases and severe places of interest. Most people will call me nuts for going that far but hey the game is what you make it. However do you want to know why? Because as we all know there are going to be those KoS muffs in the back of the barracks just using you as a delivery system for there food and water. I am in agreeance here on what you are saying. Finding shit can be difficult at times, and what I really hate is that there is no Automatic weapon to combat the M4 that you can find out side the bases. Don't get me wrong the Mosin is amazing! But I would like to see some sort of weapon that is better than a bolt action hunting rifle or pistol. Hopefully later down the line we can find Civilian AK's and mod them to be full auto. I mean this is a part of fuckin Russia, there should be an AK behind every blade of grass nearly xD. No but for real I would like to see some better loot spawn outside the bases. There are Deer Stands everywhere and they don't spawn shit, no canteens no weapons no nothing. However as everyone said it is an Alpha. But you bring a good point. This is the time to rise up as gamers and put our 2 cents in. OFF TOPIC! Anyone else been seeing a literal HORDE of fuckin zeds in Supermarkets sometimes?