rocket

Temporary solution to lack of HUD info

One of the main reasons Icon's do not work is because the client is no longer readily updated with exactly what is wrong with it. It is only informed what visual states need to change. This is because there is a very complex system of health, and doing this all on the server helps with synchronizing to the database, performance (esp network perf), and reduces the insecurity by having the client calculate this itself.

To enable this temporary solution, I actually had to craft a messaging system to inform the player they were suffering some kind of event. In order to send the client enough information to run old Icon system we would either have to get the client to calculate this themselves (insecure, subject to performance problems, hard to synchronize with the database, unable to handle combat logging, etc...) or stream constant updates to the client.

Thanks for the info Rocket.

Edited by vandal gab

Have you thought about audio clues like increasing levels of panting or tummy rumbles?

• Like 1

After reading a bunch of guides on how energy, blood, hunger and thirst all tie in together I've actually warmed up to the text notifications. Still the HUD editions are welcome as it's too easy to miss that critical moment whjen you have like 3 minutes to act before going into an irreversible coma.

After reading a bunch of guides on how energy, blood, hunger and thirst all tie in together I've actually warmed up to the text notifications. Still the HUD editions are welcome as it's too easy to miss that critical moment whjen you have like 3 minutes to act before going into an irreversible coma.

I did too, but that doesn't change the fact that I still have no idea what is killing me.

Maybe a little less descriptive whines could help

"You are hungry", "You are very hungry", "You are dying from starvation"

"You are thirsty", "You are very thirsty", "You are dying from dehydration"

"Your skin is warm", "Your skin is burning", "You are dying from fever"

I don't even know what other survival stats are in-game, but they could all follow a similar format for clarity.

They could also be combined like such:

"You are dying from starvation and you are very thirsty."

-or-

"Your skin is burning and you are thirsty. "

Should help cut down on the text spam in that area.

I know this might not go down well with everybody but I really would like the old icon system of some sort back. I'm loving the game but miss my green icons.

I'm sort of with you, but I'm reserving judgment until I see what they've got in-store for their "ambient" notification system (i.e. stomach grumbling, etc.)

While I do think the old icons are better than the vague notifications we're getting now, I want to see them try the more organic method before reverting back to the old tried-and-true precision of the icons.

While playing I found out that you generally spawn already hungry and thirsty, instead of the full food/drinks of the mod.

If you eat and drink (quite a bit) even after the green text, then most notifications will dissapear. 

Think of the green text as indication that the food meter stoped blinking, but it's still orange and will go red soon.

After eating and drinking sufficiently, i looted the entired NWAF including the tents without a single thirsty/hungry/head hurts notification. Further testing with guild mates kinda confirmed it, not for everyone, but it's hard to tell how much those people ate/drank at all.

Stop complaining that aggressively already. He's aware of it and it's going to be changed. What else do you want to hear?

I don't want to hear anything, I want to see results. If he said it needed to be changed weeks before release, yet it wasn't, then what good does anything rocket say do anyone?

One of the main reasons Icon's do not work is because the client is no longer readily updated with exactly what is wrong with it.

You're basically saying the problem with <something saved server side> is that <it's not saved client side>. I'm sorry but that's the dumbest thing I've ever read. Tell the client what it needs to know. It's not rocket science. Pun somewhat intended.

I don't want to hear anything, I want to see results.

Come back in a few weeks / months / a year - it was only released yesterday.

Dean play Breaking Point for ARMA 3.

It's very clear cut, you breath heavy, you need to drink, you hear your stomach rumble, you need to eat. 

Also picking stuff up in Breaking Point is a lot easier. 

Should say either Hungry/Thirsty or Hunger/Thirst, not Hunger/Thirsty. /nitpicking

nothing beats "I have a bad taste in your mouth", though  :rolleyes:

That's what they told me last year.

Well i'll tell you something new. Never come back again.

One of the main reasons Icon's do not work is because the client is no longer readily updated with exactly what is wrong with it. It is only informed what visual states need to change. This is because there is a very complex system of health, and doing this all on the server helps with synchronizing to the database, performance (esp network perf), and reduces the insecurity by having the client calculate this itself.

To enable this temporary solution, I actually had to craft a messaging system to inform the player they were suffering some kind of event. In order to send the client enough information to run old Icon system we would either have to get the client to calculate this themselves (insecure, subject to performance problems, hard to synchronize with the database, unable to handle combat logging, etc...) or stream constant updates to the client.

Would moodlets like in PZ work? Say an icon appears/fades in top right.. "You're feeling peckish" - You eat some cereal. Then changes to "Fed" and then dissapears off screen or whatever..

Edited by Scrullet
  • Like 1

Would moodlets like in PZ work? Say an icon appears/fades in top right.. "You're feeling peckish" - You eat some cereal. Then changes to "Fed" and then dissapears off screen or whatever..

Big love for the project zomboid moodlets idea I think that would be perfect

Edited by LiamFX

the pz moodlets are really nice. what if you get textupdates like now if any statuschange occurs that would be fading away. While having a permanent iconographic statusindicator in your inventory. this way it would not clutter the hud which is a big plus in my book. i really like the clean hud, much more immersive.

ok ill bite...

why not just go back to the Mods icon based system, which i think everyone can agree worked perfectly, and was really not intrusive at all..

the text idea clearly isnt working like you thought it would...

Agreed

Rocket you may have already planned something like this, but wouldn't it be pretty effective and cool if you used a color overlay effect coupled with audio and behavior indicators to indicate player state?

For example, being dehydrated would tint the edges of your screen a slight blue color as you get blood loss it would eventually get lighter until you died. On top of that you pant very heavily. I think you already do pant very heavily when you are getting hungry and dehydrating. Also, your stomach should actual grumble as you get hungry and become more frequent as you get hungrier.  If you are getting really hungry or thirsty maybe your player would start bending over and panting and grab his stomach as well.

Using a color coded system would be cool imo. Greenish tint could indicate sickness, and if you had a fever maybe you get a reddish color. So a sick and feverish person would have an orange color with all the behavior and audio indicators necessary to convey that ailment. As they get closer to death the color would just get lighter as the whiteness from bloodloss adds too it. Red could indicate starvation with a pulsating dark red indicating heavy injury like a broken bone or a wound requiring surgery like a gunshot. Being stabbed or shot would also cause the player to cry out in pain, and the usual cracking noise for breaking your leg.

Anyway, love the alpha and I'm excited for the future.

Edit: I used the color red as an example for multiple states but you get the idea. Fever could be yellow instead of red. 

Edited by xInfinityx

I tried new and old servers, but the new indicators doesn't show up in my inentory. do I have to create a new character or what?

thanks.

I tried new and old servers, but the new indicators doesn't show up in my inentory. do I have to create a new character or what?

thanks.

the new indicators only appear after a status has changed. for example, you were hungry before the patch, now it wont show that. it will show you however if you change to being very hungry.

hope you understand what i mean

I'm down for new ways to track everything such as having the icons in a journal/inventory or perhaps on a digital watch, just to keep the hud clear.

I don't have any problems with the current system, when it says you're thirsty or hungry, eat or drink.......

It isn't hard, I just think people are too used to never having to in the mod.

Miffy actually finding something poisitive? Are you sick? Lol