jBrick

Charging people money to help you "make" a game....

Per Dean:

Do not buy the game yet!

The release of our Alpha is about getting those who want to be involved from the ground up, up and into the process. What we do encourage you to do, is to read reviews, watch livestreams and lets play videos, and talk to your friends. The alpha is going out into large scale testing for the first time, this means many things (mostly bad) will happen such as nasty bugs, connection issues, lost loot, etc... Our aim right now is to present the bare-bone architecture and check that works, getting some feedback on the direction in the process.

Ignore that advice at your own risk. You do not, in fact, have a right to be annoyed with the game's state, you were fairly warned and agree to it every time you log into the game. 

Edited by Mercules
  • Like 5

Alpha is Alpha quote from Steam: We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle.

• Like 2

^ These..

Forgot this one.

About the Game

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

@op - Cry more.

I like how people are using the statement at the beginning of the release to just brush off any complaints.

There is also the part where are actually helping test the game, which means we are here to actually point out all the blatant horrid flaws.

Also, just because you have a disclaimer when you take people's money, does not take away the right of the person whose money you took to complain. That is not actually how capitalism works.

And I agree, it costs far too much.

Edited by Ozelot

lol I've played for 4 hours and have been having a blast. I think it's leep and bounds better than the mod. I feel like we've played two different games. Sure it has it's problems that need addressed ASAP but for an Alpha release with core architecture it is pretty great. Probably should have held off on the purchase there bud....

Edited by mick17
  • Like 1

I am completely baffled at the illiteracy rates that seem prevalent amongst some gamers... its baffling ;) 

Game developers typically used to get their money from game publishers. In return for the development money, the developers got their costs paid, plus a little bit, and the publisher sold the game and kept the royalties. Generally, most studios would not see royalties.

One of the positives of early access is that the studio gets the money directly. I like early access better than preorders because you actually get something for it. I actually think the price is about right, it's discouraging enough for those who would really not enjoy it right now, but low enough that people who are interested in the product don't feel it's too bad. It's also given us some wiggle room to hire more servers.

• Like 16

Really?  This is almost unbelievable.  Most companies don't charge people for helping them Beta test... let alone paying money for what standalone currently is.  I really don't see a justification for this other than cashing in on the title now.  Maybe a game developer can come shed light on what the reasoning behind this is as at this point it makes little sense other than abject greed.

No, they release horribly buggy games that are clearly in a late alpha/early beta phase and then require you to pre-order everything or you have to pay even more for content later IE BF4 if you didn't preorder the game which was ~60USD you have to pay for the expansions, if you didnt pay for premium you have to wait for expansions to release and dont get early access. BF4 was published/developed by two companies with more money than the USgovt (im exaggerating but still) point is neither EA/DICE are in financial trouble/small yet they have the audacity to essentially charge you 110 dollars for a game (the game+xpac+premium).  Yet the game is still full of bugs, crashes, freezes, etc

Another example would be MWO, where they want you to preorder an "expansion" for ~200+ dollars to get all the mechs mw4 had for 30 dollars.

I would much rather pay a fair price 30dollars for a game that has as much "hype" & press as dayz could easily net 60+ a copy and help test/fund the game development than pay 60 bucks for what is being labeled as finished product but I can't even play because of all the issues the game has. 

• Like 1

I understand what an Alpha is.... I have been playing Rust as of late on that note and that feels like an alpha. This however.... is a running simulator. I have found 4 zombies total only one of which actually attacked me. The loot spawns are mediocre at best and I find way to many T-shirts which I don't understand since well you can choose to wear a T-shirt from the start I am not exactly concerned about changing to a new color as a fashion statement.

Now again I know this is alpha and for testing purposes etc. but why was this released so soon. This is clearly not ready for any real testing or playing. Were the developers scared of games like Rust and 7 days to die. Figuring oh shit people will forget about us lets let them know we are still here? I just don't get the point of releasing this... Exploration simulator when most people who have purchased this game already know the map... 

I mean I know what it was like playing the DayZ mod just after launch when everything was busted. Even then so many of us played because it was something new and different compared to the usual. However we now know what this game is suppose to be like, and I know what I am hoping it will eventually get to. I was so excited yesterday when I realized this was out I immediately got on steam downloaded it all amped up having watched the trailer. Knowing full well the game was not going to be finished but to grin and bare it... Instead of disappointment I got a full blown kick to the nuts.

In closing I hope they get a fire under their ass since they foolishly decided to release this way early, and they fix all major aspects of the game play before people actually do lose interest. 

My god, have you read this?

If so, what part of it do you not understand?

First people scream Give Alpha now you cry?

Go back to kindergarten.

DayZ Early Access is your chance to experience DayZ as it evolves throughout its development process.

It's been only a day, they're already fixing bugs.

Edited by Hosty

I understand what an Alpha is.... I have been playing Rust as of late on that note and that feels like an alpha. This however.... is a running simulator. I have found 4 zombies total only one of which actually attacked me. The loot spawns are mediocre at best and I find way to many T-shirts which I don't understand since well you can choose to wear a T-shirt from the start I am not exactly concerned about changing to a new color as a fashion statement.

Now again I know this is alpha and for testing purposes etc. but why was this released so soon. This is clearly not ready for any real testing or playing. Were the developers scared of games like Rust and 7 days to die. Figuring oh shit people will forget about us lets let them know we are still here? I just don't get the point of releasing this... Exploration simulator when most people who have purchased this game already know the map... 

I mean I know what it was like playing the DayZ mod just after launch when everything was busted. Even then so many of us played because it was something new and different compared to the usual. However we now know what this game is suppose to be like, and I know what I am hoping it will eventually get to. I was so excited yesterday when I realized this was out I immediately got on steam downloaded it all amped up having watched the trailer. Knowing full well the game was not going to be finished but to grin and bare it... Instead of disappointment I got a full blown kick to the nuts.

In closing I hope they get a fire under their ass since they foolishly decided to release this way early, and they fix all major aspects of the game play before people actually do lose interest. 

I'm just jumping in here before the fanboys start quoting the disclaimer and/or telling you it's in Alpha (even though you've acknowledged you realize this) and that you should shut up/go play cod/go play warz.

Good luck with your criticism on this forum! 

Is it just me or did all the QQ-ers here fail to read the following.

We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage

• Like 1

I'm just jumping in here before the fanboys start quoting the disclaimer and/or telling you it's in Alpha (even though you've acknowledged you realize this) and that you should shut up/go play cod/go play warz.

Looks like I was too late  :lol:

Here's an idea, let's all be constructive!

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154048-bug-reports/

There.

• Like 1

There is just no benefit to it. 

Bug reports. Yes. 

Complaining about the state of the release? No. 

Don't buy it. 

• Like 1

The people who are complaining about the bugs and state of the game, such as myself, are probably more likely to be the ones being more constructive. I've already contributed a fair-share to the bug reports.

The people that are enjoying sitting inside new interiors while constantly drinking are more satisfied, and less likely to be constructive - rather just come to this forum and flame those of us who are by spamming disclaimers! 

Conveying your displeasure of the game and it's release as a whole is ALSO constructive criticism.

I have never seen a development company more open and honest than BI.

They said when the basic architecture was done they would go into alpha so we could all develop the game together..

Everything that everyone is bitching about was covered before they went live with alpha, yet everyone complaining seems to have bought the game after living in a cave for the last year.

they said many of the core features would not be done or even working when they released it.

they said zombies were unfinished and sparse.

they said many of the mechanics were works in progress or palceholder

they publicly asked people NOT to buy it at alpha if they wanted a finished game.

and they buy it anyway.....then cry.

worse part is it has been 24 hours and the crying has only started...

• Like 3

The people who are complaining about the bugs and state of the game, such as myself, are probably more likely to be the ones being more constructive. I've already contributed a fair-share to the bug reports.

The people that are enjoying sitting inside new interiors while constantly drinking are more satisfied, and less likely to be constructive - rather just come to this forum and flame those of us who are by spamming disclaimers! 

Conveying your displeasure of the game and it's release as a whole is ALSO constructive criticism.

When done in a constructive manner, yes it is. However there is a lot of, "It's broken!" posts about things Dean has already mentioned in various streams up to the release that "This is broken and we intend to fix this but not right away." They know... bug report so they have some idea of how many times it is happening and move on. So maybe not start yet another thread about it? Search function? Checking for other similar threads?

I have never seen a development company more open and honest than BI.

They said when the basic architecture was done they would go into alpha so we could all develop the game together..

Everything that everyone is bitching about was covered before they went live with alpha, yet everyone complaining seems to have bought the game after living in a cave for the last year.

they said many of the core features would not be done or even working when they released it.

they said zombies were unfinished and sparse.

they said many of the mechanics were works in progress or palceholder

they publicly asked people NOT to buy it at alpha if they wanted a finished game.

and they buy it anyway.....then cry.

worse part is it has been 24 hours and the crying has only started...

If you take off your fanboy glasses for one second, you might see that a lot of the 'cry' is actually criticism to be heard and listened to, rather than just tarring everybody as being 'illiterate'.

• Like 1

Really?  This is almost unbelievable.  Most companies don't charge people for helping them Beta test... let alone paying money for what standalone currently is.  I really don't see a justification for this other than cashing in on the title now.  Maybe a game developer can come shed light on what the reasoning behind this is as at this point it makes little sense other than abject greed.

Most companies use kickstarters which is giving them money for nothing or a t-shirt with something on it. This is you paying for a game. Think of it like buying Skyrim for half price but with some of the side quests missing but you get them for FREE after a month or so.

• Like 1

If you take off your fanboy glasses for one second, you might see that a lot of the 'cry' is actually criticism to be heard and listened to, rather than just tarring everybody as being 'illiterate'.

That is true, but most people failed to listen.

Also, crying is indeed making billions of posts/threads about a single problem/issue.