psychopigeon

every server is dark

Im playing tonight (last day at work) so there had better be plenty of night on my low ping servers or amma git bandit with a spoon.

Just leave it as its is for testing purposes. You can all have 24-7 daylight servers when they release the code for private whingy moaning admins in 5 years.

Don't like it? Dont play it. Best games are at night because you can load up and then be a boss.

Globalized Time (so you cant hop servers).Then: 2 hours day, 1 hour night - problem solved, everyone happy.

I can sneak around in the nights and sunbath on a roof in Zeleno... and the pussies just have to log out for 1 hour - what could be a perfect time to make their homeworks.

No i won't be happy with this kind of crap, how can this called be realistic if the day/night cycle have to skip this much time? This 3 hour cycle means that the time has to progress 8 times faster! Movement of sun, moon and stars would be nearly more scary than the zombies^^. Also it's unrealistic that the night is always shorter than the day.

I keep on to the idea that day/night-Cycle only should be slightly reduced to shift the border between day and night on the server after every real day (so everyone can experience day AND night). Also i don't like to have servers with different timezones, because this will benefit server hoppers too much in my oppinion.

• Like 1

Where to begin? 

1. This idea that the came should be convenient or work to your schedule is borderline ridiculous. "I don't get home from work/school/cavorting with my mistress until X and I don't get to play in daylight and that's not fair." While I could go on the whole "life's not fair" tirade, I won't. But how is it fair to the people who have more manageable schedules that enjoy the current time-frame that they should have their immersion otherwise broken for your benefit? What makes your desire to play in daylight more important than someone else's desire to have immersive experience? Majority rule?

2. 24/7 Daylight shouldn't be an option. Why? Well, for one: It would make a good chunk of the items/loot in the game absolutely fucking pointless. "Oh hey I got a head-lamp.... On this server that has fifteen seconds of night." You could argue to change the lootspawn for servers with 24/7 day, but then with the tweaked tables it becomes easier to obtain certain items where a flashlight or a set of batteries might have spawned. Giving people who do their looting on 24/7 day servers an unwarranted advantage against those who have to manage both daytime resources and nighttime resources.

3. Raising your gamma "so you can see at night" is cheating. Hands down. It's giving you an advantage over people who are otherwise playing the game fairly. By definition, that's cheating. And in doing so you breed an environment where everyone is casually cheating the game with the excuse that "everyone is doing it." It's admittedly something that can't be regulated or stopped, but please don't try and justify it as something other than cheating.

4. Long-time players of the mod not wanting the status-quo to be changed because of newcomers are both a blessing and a curse. They can be detrimental to progress in some areas because of their clinging to old mechanics/decisions that may not be for the best. But on the other side of that coin, they can also be the element that reminds a developer where the "heart" of their game lies. I stated this to say that: DayZ is not intended to be easy, convenient, or hell even fun sometimes. It's a very love-it or hate-it experience and there will always be some resistance in the community (especially those of us who have been here a long time) towards change, especially when that change is seen as something that's purely for convenience or "easy-mode" as some might say.

• Like 1

<OrLoK says: Temp pinning.>

I've tried servers in different countries where it is day time right now, still pitch black in game. Hopefully 24/7 day time servers appear asap.

STEP 1 : Turn your Monitor to the ON Position

Where to begin? 

1. This idea that the came should be convenient or work to your schedule is borderline ridiculous. "I don't get home from work/school/cavorting with my mistress until X and I don't get to play in daylight and that's not fair." While I could go on the whole "life's not fair" tirade, I won't. But how is it fair to the people who have more manageable schedules that enjoy the current time-frame that they should have their immersion otherwise broken for your benefit? What makes your desire to play in daylight more important than someone else's desire to have immersive experience? Majority rule?

2. 24/7 Daylight shouldn't be an option. Why? Well, for one: It would make a good chunk of the items/loot in the game absolutely fucking pointless. "Oh hey I got a head-lamp.... On this server that has fifteen seconds of night." You could argue to change the lootspawn for servers with 24/7 day, but then with the tweaked tables it becomes easier to obtain certain items where a flashlight or a set of batteries might have spawned. Giving people who do their looting on 24/7 day servers an unwarranted advantage against those who have to manage both daytime resources and nighttime resources.

3. Raising your gamma "so you can see at night" is cheating. Hands down. It's giving you an advantage over people who are otherwise playing the game fairly. By definition, that's cheating. And in doing so you breed an environment where everyone is casually cheating the game with the excuse that "everyone is doing it." It's admittedly something that can't be regulated or stopped, but please don't try and justify it as something other than cheating.

4. Long-time players of the mod not wanting the status-quo to be changed because of newcomers are both a blessing and a curse. They can be detrimental to progress in some areas because of their clinging to old mechanics/decisions that may not be for the best. But on the other side of that coin, they can also be the element that reminds a developer where the "heart" of their game lies. I stated this to say that: DayZ is not intended to be easy, convenient, or hell even fun sometimes. It's a very love-it or hate-it experience and there will always be some resistance in the community (especially those of us who have been here a long time) towards change, especially when that change is seen as something that's purely for convenience or "easy-mode" as some might say.

What you've described is a complete misunderstanding of what alpha testing of software is.  The whole point of any testing is to allow people to look at specific parts or scenarios and feedback on them.  It is completely possible to have multiple servers running different combinations of the day night cycle during this stage and then having a proper cycle once we've moved to a beta build.  It doesn't remove anything from anyone's experience as you have different, selectable options and actually gives back more data since you can calculate what percentages of the player base are choosing what types of servers and for how long they play rather than some player like yourself sticking their finger in the air and declaring "this many people don't want it".

As for your comment about head torches, if I want to try head torches do I currently need to server hop to find a night server the same as I do if I want to play in the day so your own point is redundant.  Asking for these to be selectable makes total sense at this stage.

No i won't be happy with this kind of crap, how can this called be realistic if the day/night cycle have to skip this much time? This 3 hour cycle means that the time has to progress 8 times faster! Movement of sun, moon and stars would be nearly more scary than the zombies^^. Also it's unrealistic that the night is always shorter than the day.

I keep on to the idea that day/night-Cycle only should be slightly reduced to shift the border between day and night on the server after every real day (so everyone can experience day AND night). Also i don't like to have servers with different timezones, because this will benefit server hoppers too much in my oppinion.

I have 3 hour restarts on dayz stalker.... 2 hours of day 1 of night.

I do this, because I work 9-5, and others do to. So in 3 hours time, they get the best of both worlds.... say what u want, people like dayz stalker

b_560_95_1.png

Edited by piffkush

So I personally prefer Daytime as well BUT, I guess everyone does. Playing at night is a pain in the a**. It's super hard to find loot, other players can see your flashlight from miles and it scares the hell out of me when I get attacked by zombies before I see them. But I would never want 24/7 daytime servers.

To my mind this all is the point. You are supposed to hate the night, because you would in real life. It is hard to find loot at night without any lights and I'd definitely scared to death when a zombie would suddenly stand next to me in real life.

So I hate the night, but I want it to stay, since for me this is part of the experience.

Also I guess 24/7 Daytime servers should use their own master database, since it would make everything significantly easier. Also I like the 6hrs day/night cycle which was recommended in this thread and i think the black and white night is more realistic.

I agre with you i really want a smaller day/nigth cycle because when i have time to play is aways nigth and do wanto to play in both day and nigth.

Edited by TenenteSa
  • Like 1

I agre with you i really want a smaller day/nigth cycle because when i have time to play is aways nigth and do wanto to play in both day and nigth.

if they shorten the nights, but you can only play at a particular time, how is that going to allow you to play both? it seems that would only happen if they shorten the day/night cycle to something ridiculously short like minecraft. or if you the time you have to play conveniently falls between day and night. if the nights are 12, 6, or 3 hours long, it's not gonna matter if the time you have to play everyday is only the 3 hours when it's dark

I just don't see why people want to make all these drastic changes to the game, when simple offset servers will solve most of these issues (and they already are)

What night time really is, is that it's hard on my eyes, and less enjoyable than day time. I think for the purpose of Alpha it should be day time only until good compromise is found. But I get bored playing at night, because quite frankly it is boring :)

What is the point in having a new sky/sun/stars/lighting/weather system when servers are stuck on 24/7 daylight where the sun never moves?

Why cant the servers just be the normal 24 hour day and night cycle matching the time of location of the server.

90% of the UK servers are 24/7 daylight at the minute. I am yet to see a sunrise or sunset.

Why not just have some that are GMT and some that are GMT -6 or something.

As for the night time arguments - what is the point in having torches, batteries, head torches, gas lamps, flares, etc etc?

'I don't like the night because I cant see Zombies' I mean what the fuck?

Edited by thehet

What night time really is, is that it's hard on my eyes, and less enjoyable than day time. I think for the purpose of Alpha it should be day time only until good compromise is found. But I get bored playing at night, because quite frankly it is boring :)

So, wait untill a "good compromise" is found we should have it your way? Why? Night time is where the real horror and survival are.

• Like 1

There are light servers, i found a UK one that was daylight at 11pm UK time. Once I'm on dayz SA i will post the server name. Currently all servers are set to 12 hr cycles all based on Europe and America time zones so it's hit and miss which server you land on as you currently cannot alter what time zone The server is on if hosting

Same, i don't like those 24h daylight server, it just don't feel the same and we miss many great opportunity that only the cover of the night can provide. But at the same time, we should have the choice to play at night or not depending of our mood and the server selected.

how are servers achieving 24 hours of daylight? I would guess they periodically set the time back (every restart?). maybe they could prevent that by only letting servers set their start time once every 24 hours

Edited by daze23

I don't think the cycle should be a 24hr cycle. Many people say its realistic and deal with it. Well if time is passing in game as it is in real life than i shouldn't die of hunger or thirst in 2 hours. If we're going to go for realism than i should be able to go without water in game for a few days or the cycle could get shorter and thirst/hunger stay the same. 

I don't think the cycle should be a 24hr cycle. Many people say its realistic and deal with it. Well if time is passing in game as it is in real life than i shouldn't die of hunger or thirst in 2 hours. If we're going to go for realism than i should be able to go without water in game for a few days or the cycle could get shorter and thirst/hunger stay the same.

it's a work in progress and these things can be balanced. if the thirst/hunger needs fixing, you fix that. you don't change the day/night cycle to fit the 'broken' thirst/hunger

Edited by daze23

It's verified that admins can modify the GMT for their server.

Therefore, depending on the server you choose to hop to, play in whatever light you might enjoy. These servers will roll out at as they are created or modified. 

Unfortunately, there is no way to search for a specific GMT, yet... maybe? That's for later.

Blah blah blah...realism.

Realistic is the dark ass nights. I guess most of you forget that the power grids will fail in just a few days after an apocalypse with no one to man the machines or deliver oil/coal to the generators. And there are no hydroplants that I have seen in chenaraus.

With that said... realism is also having a flashlight that lasts more than 1 hour, and doesn't cast a pinprick beam when moving close to a door or wall.

Fix the flashlight beam and the first argument of it being too dark goes away. The argument of being a target...well that is realism. Provided NVGS never make it in game (and I hope they don't) you have the same likleyhood of spotting that bandit as he does you.

I still propose a 23 hour daylight cycle: Then, your favorite server at your favorite playtime will have a rotation of night and day periods. Personally, if stuck in a zombie apocalypse, I'd be active in daylight as you cannot see properly at night.

no, you just have to move your lazy fingers and find a server that have sunlight :)

Wow. It just took less than 6 hours to seperate men from boys that are afraid of the dark. Congrats. 24/7 daytime server are worse than cancer.

These 24/7 dark servers are even worse than that.. "Congrats"

I could care less about 24/7 dark, or night, but I would like to be able to know what the server is before joining it... so far its a crap shoot, with about 90 percent being dark and 10 being day. Why is this? Is it based on location? If so in California it should be day, not night? Nothing about it makes any sense.

Edited by pyrochyde

Server time is set by the server owners.  Since most servers are not owned by individuals or communities, most are set at the same default.  Best chance to find daylight servers is to search for servers that have a "custom" name rather than just the host name.  They are not all this way, but it is a fact that the time is set by the server admin.  Just browse and you should find one, if you need help finding one message me.

Seriously to cover all bases servers need to run on different day night cycles. As for the length of time those cycles go on for I am good with real-time.  Sometimes I like to play night, sometimes I like to play day. If I happen to join a server through its transitional phase even better. However I do agree with the people shouting about if the time is real-time then why do I get hungry and thirsty so fast. This is true I find in the games current state of loot spawn and character time that all I am doing is looking for a good quality can of pasta and its wearing me down. Hunger and thirst are happening way to fast its totally unrealistic in that sense.