bloodwarrior99

Do You Think Bandits Are Bad?

I can't believe this, so many people get frustrated by bandits these days. I don't know about you, but I think bandits are crucial to a mod like DayZ, it keeps everything open so you can have more of a playing field on what you want to do. Trust me, I will kill a bandit when I see one, but I still think I wouldn't have as much fun playing DayZ if it wasn't for the bandits, or making acts of banditry. 

For example: My friend and I were playing on a pretty empty server at the time due to it being 1 AM where we live. We just saw this guy on and he was talking and we thought we would just be bandits this once. I was going to pick him up alone and then my friend was going to snipe him from the woods outside Cherno. Due to some problems (he crashed our truck, had to buy a new one) we got there but he saw us both in the truck too early. My friend got out and we acted like nothing happened, he didn't notice. I drove up to Cherno with him to pick up his gear in dead body and he just told me to stay there. My friend is a pretty good sniper so it only took two bullets to kill him. After that he was enraged and he just left calling me a "shithead." And he didn't even have much stuff on him only been playing for 30 minutes.

So do you think banditry is bad? Because I don't. Without them I doubt that there would be as big as a fanbase on DayZ that there is still today. But I guess excessive murder is bad, but that's just because everyone gets mad when they are killed. After I am murdered I just calm down, and that's what everyone should do, but they all just scream at the bandit. Who's to say that they are evil?

Edited by bloodwarrior99

I bet you read my story and made this?  ;)  ;)

Apart from that, I think it's opinion based. I can see bandits of course, but that doesn't mean I like them. :P

Edited by Zedertone

It depends what you mean.

In terms of my survivability, then Bandits are typically bad unless I get the drop on them in which case, free loot.

If you mean for the game as a whole, then no. They add diversity, variety, and entertainment.

• Like 3

For example: My friend and I were playing on a pretty empty server at the time due to it being 1 AM where we live. We just saw this guy on and he was talking and we thought we would just be bandits this once. I was going to pick him up and then my friend was going to shoot him and that would be the end of that. Due to some problems (he crashed our truck, had to buy a new one) we got there but he saw us too early. My friend got out and we tried to act like that was a glitch, but he didn't notice it. We drove to pick up his dead body and he just told me to stay there. My friend is a pretty good sniper so it only took two bullets. After that he was enraged and he just left calling me a "shithead." And he didn't even have much stuff on him only been playing for 30 minutes.

Could you write this in English please? I didn't understand it. Was the guy you were going to shoot dead before you shot him?

Could you write this in English please? I didn't understand it. Was the guy you were going to shoot dead before you shot him?

Narko, I'm beginning to believe you didn't get the proper education on reading, and using Context Clues. 

Edited by Zedertone

Narko's right, that story is confusing.

Banditry is fine. I don't think anyone here really minds actual bandits, but the people who play for the sake of killing others aren't helping the game if you ask me.

It's not that people get mad when they die, it's that people get mad because people go out of their way to be dicks and ruin people's time in DayZ. I simply don't understand why the l33t snipers and people who play to kill don't play Wasteland unless they like having an enemy that can't shoot back to get their kicks.

• Like 2

People assume when they're bandits they have to be "trolls". Camping fresh spawns at a city I don't quite call that Banditry.

Killed a bandit camping hospital roof, was hearing him for a while, seeing dead messages pop up, went to investigate and boom, I die. Come back, he's still there, I survive with 500 blood, wait for him to come after him to my luck a zombie dropped him and could get a jump on him.

What's the point of killing unarmed people over and over again...

To each and his own...

• Like 2

wow

much bandit

wow

so KOS

wow

Seriously now, DayZ is what it is due to the bandits

I love interacting with people and help every now and then, I've done my part as a good guy for a bit, but without bandits, dayz would be boring. The reason I love dayz is because it reminds me the Fallout games. I'm a huge fan of them, and I always wanted PvP. I know they're not even the same thing, but they're post apocalyptic, in a dangerous environment where everything, zombies, doors, stairs, wants to kill you.

The fact that you may get shot anytime, gives you an adrenaline rush, and that's why I love dayz.

Im BF games, COD, CS, or any FPS game, you spawn-die-spawn.

In dayz you got to find your gear, and if you die you lose it all. Bandits make you afraid of losing your gear, therefore your gaming experience is more intense

• Like 3

KoS, I didn't know you were a MJ fan? o:

sometime music say better than my words :)

• Like 1

If it gives you an experience, then it's not a bad thing necessarily. However, in my opinion, there is a difference between a person who does bandit activities and a player who simply KOS/snipes people for no reason other than for kicks.

If you pick me up, tell me some story about this "awesome base", then lead me to a fighting cage where I have to fight another survivor to the death, then hell yes that is my favorite bandit. But if you are a dick who simply sits on a building camping out the fresh spawn areas killing players, you are certainly not a bandit.

I hope rocket can address these two type of "bandits" soon. It doesn't help when the Bandit skin immediately generalizes that area.

sometime music say better than my words :)

KoS, delete some in your inbox. I need to send you a message for something I made for you.

• Like 1

Bandits? (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bandit) No. Absolutely not. They're part of what makes the game work and function how it was meant in the first place. Bandits are what make DayZ fun and exciting, and they're what held the mod in a state of amazingness the first year. However, I feel they are now nearing exticton.

'Bandits' are not okay. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_killer AKA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29). There has always been death in DayZ, but when the game first started it was completely different then it is now. Killing someone was something most people thought twice about. You had a Winchester, an M1911, an Alice Pack, and food, most sensible people wouldn't risk that stuff to try and get some kills. There were always the KoS crowd though. The minute they started posting videos to YouTube about trolling people, backstabbing, and all that stuff, it was over for classic DayZ.

I don't think we can ever go back. That crowd now outnumbers the crowd that likes playing the game how it was meant. And they're on the 'hype train' with everyone else. We come to a stop at standalone, and so do they. We can only hope that the style in which standalone is created curbs the ability to just murder everyone and everything they see.

Edited by OfficerRaymond

No, bandits are not bad.

The oversaturation of bandits is bad; all things in equal measures makes a good experience.

Sure bandits are bad. They steal my stuff, what's good in it?

As long as they know they are bad, I can life with it. If they say "I'm intentionaly bad.", then great, looks like a cool roleplay thing is going on.

But if they say "Don't call me 'bad'. I'm so good in doing bad things." ... there it starts to get weird.

Edited by Ken Bean

Bandits, as in people who kill me or hold me up for actual reasons such as me having better gear, looking for satisfaction in killing someone they hate / want revenge on and has good gear. I won't get upset.

What bothers me is that when people kill someone who has obviously nothing, and say: No mad bro, im bandit i got da law on ma side.

I don't understand why everyone hates on the KOSers so hard. They're the reason charging into high value areas isn't plausible. Without KOSers, why play stealthy? A "true bandit" as you all love to call them, would be forced to get in close, (which is impossible if you are running in one direction) and then announce himself and deliver his demands.

If there are no "bad bandits" there is no reason to play safe during those long runs from town to town. There's no reason to play in the dark with your lights off.

"Bandits that kidnap me and make me do ridiculous sh*t are my favorite!"

Without KOSers, there is almost an incentive to get stood up.

Dayz as a zombie survival game has little replay value. Sorry. When the SA releases, this will change. But at the moment, it is other players that keep the game exciting.

What's my point? If you don't like being killed by the less-imaginative, uncreative part of this population, (your KOSer that you hate so much)

stop exposing yourself to snipers and stop trusting strangers.

It is still possible to play dayz as a neutral or a friendly. You just have to be much more careful.

"Bandits", I personally believe, =/= those who kill on sight.

These sorts of topics never get an end do they... Every week someone posts a topic like this, every week people say: This is a bandit, that's not a bandit, bandits are a part of the game, people don't know how to be a bandit... Everyone has their own definition of what is a ,bandit'.

As well, I don't see the point in this type of discussion. Half of the DayZ Mod population likes bandits, half doesn't. Half of them are bandits, half aren't.

Creating these topics is, to me at least a waste of time. Have a nice discussion, this doesn't seem like something I would be interested, just liked to point this out.

So what should we start calling them?

Dendits, short for denying being bandits?

Okay, doesn't really nail it, but Allowits or Goodits just sounds even more awfull.

I can't believe this, so many people get frustrated by bandits these days. I don't know about you, but I think bandits are crucial to a mod like DayZ, it keeps everything open so you can have more of a playing field on what you want to do. Trust me, I will kill a bandit when I see one, but I still think I wouldn't have as much fun playing DayZ if it wasn't for the bandits, or making acts of banditry.

So do you think banditry is bad? Because I don't. Without them I doubt that there would be as big as a fanbase on DayZ that there is still today. But I guess excessive murder is bad, but that's just because everyone gets mad when they are killed. After I am murdered I just calm down, and that's what everyone should do, but they all just scream at the bandit. Who's to say that they are evil?

The word "bandit" has its origins in the word "ban". Those people once were outcasted from society. It's already in the word, that they are considered bad. I'm afraid they have to deal with the chosen role. ;-)

Edited by Ken Bean

Bandits are OK, I agree they are crucial to the game.

The people who kill newspawns, shoot you for no reason and sit on the hills surrounding the big cities sniping everyone are the bad ones.