Sign in to follow this  
Forgewolf

Why no Zombie children again?

Ehhh, I think if one has to search for explanations that's a sign something's not quite right... anyways, I don't really care about zombie kids. Not an issue for me either way.

But, there were plenty of zombie kids in "The Walking Dead". I saw zombie children in several movies. So why do people get all inflamed about them being in a video game? These movies and shows are much more gruesome and emotional than a game.

I don't get it.

Because:

1. UK media hates games and loves a "Playing CoD Black Ops made me rape a dolphin!" headline. It also diverts attention from stories about the media being up to no good.

2. Politicians love the above as they can make useful sound bites along the lines of "Ban this sick filth!" which diverts attention from their being caught fiddling the taxpayer and/or fiddling with a rent boy.

• Like 2

Because:

1. UK media hates games and loves a "Playing CoD Black Ops made me rape a dolphin!" headline. It also diverts attention from stories about the media being up to no good.

2. Politicians love the above as they can make useful sound bites along the lines of "Ban this sick filth!" which diverts attention from their being caught fiddling the taxpayer and/or fiddling with a rent boy.

Since when was DayZ populated by only UK gamers?

While it wouldn't bother me in the least to have zombie kids in the game I don't really care that they are not there. Its also fucked up that anyone would actually fight for this as their cause. Arguing for it to remain after the fact is one thing, arguing for its creation and inclusion is another. As for realism, I just figured most kids are pretty stupid and wouldn't survive the first few days of any zombie apocalypse. They would likely be the first to die. Think about it. Zombies are like regular people on bath salts. They are mindless face eating machines. What child could fight an adult hell bent of eating them, especially if it was their parents in their own home?

Also, a zombie eats on an adult and leaves enough behind that the corpse has enough muscle to get up and move around. Zombies are dead human leftovers. A kid would be like a poptart. There aren't usually leftovers when a full grown adult gets done eating a poptart. Just saying.

• Like 1

Crawlers would die of blood loss or pain. They are alive, they do not reanimate

Knowing that the Day Z zombies are more like the 28 Day later zombies ruins things for me. So no zombie variety either? 

If you add zombie children and the ability to kill them then you can go ahead and tell Australia to fuck off when Standalone is released. Dean mostly wants this game to be known and played worldwide. Adding kill-able Zed children will knock quite a few countries off the eligibility list. 

Then things need to change in that country.. Its digital content. Your playing as a digital character, shooting hostile digital creatures. Shooting a digital zombie child that wants to eat YOU is not even close to shooting an actual, living child. This is why we can't have nice things.. because governments regulate stupid things like this.

i'd like to see children players as well

in fact have the users real life age reflected accurately in the appearance and capabilities of his avatar

for example 11 year olds will struggle to no scope a target from 500 metres using a mk48

also who doesn't want to see a 12 year old KoS troll being thrown off his feet by the force of a military shotgun to the chest from 2 metres?

• Like 5

Because rigging and creating new animation trees for tiny zombies would be totally painstaking and take up lots of development. Rocket also wants fat zombies, but the same issues apply. It's just not the primary focus right now.

that, as far as i can remember - besides the obvious provocation of an outcry - was the one main reason. i see they have pretty huge problems when it comes to skeletons and animations. that's why i don't really believe that we'll see a thriving and breeding wildlife in chernarus+.

Edited by joe_mcentire

Ehhh, I think if one has to search for explanations that's a sign something's not quite right... anyways, I don't really care about zombie kids. Not an issue for me either way.

But, there were plenty of zombie kids in "The Walking Dead". I saw zombie children in several movies. So why do people get all inflamed about them being in a video game? These movies and shows are much more gruesome and emotional than a game.

I don't get it.

movie - passive

game - active

Knowing that the Day Z zombies are more like the 28 Day later zombies ruins things for me. So no zombie variety either? 

Then things need to change in that country.. Its digital content. Your playing as a digital character, shooting hostile digital creatures. Shooting a digital zombie child that wants to eat YOU is not even close to shooting an actual, living child. This is why we can't have nice things.. because governments regulate stupid things like this.

Awe... they ruined things for you. Game wasn't made for just you. Hey wait that fits the second comment too. Game wasn't made for just you, or U.S. or any particular country. Since several of them would give the game a higher rating or otherwise mess with the distribution and sale of it they are avoiding children zeds. You are welcome to move to those countries, run for office, and correct what you see as a poor political structure. Enjoy.

Since when was DayZ populated by only UK gamers?

Who said it was?

Remembering how Black Isle had to patch the children out of the UK version of Fallout 2 after a media "outcry", I can see how killing zombie kids in the SA would play out.

Can I just lay myself across both sides of the argument?

If someone is playing zombie games(or games like BF or CoD) where they're gunning down hundreds of people in a couple hours, but are so mortally struck by their consciousness when they see a virtual child that they can't click their mouse, I don't think those people should play heavy shooters at all. It's not real, just bash that thing into the ground. Stomp for good measure.

As for actually having them added or not, losing respect for a developer because he won't do it (looking at you, Raymond) is kind of hilarious. Rocket is an employee, still. If the publisher (Bohemia) doesn't want us to be able to shoot kids, Rocket can't do anything about it.

And if Rocket doesn't want them added, so what? Just look at L4D, Killing Floor, Dead Rising, The Last of Us, Resident Evil, etc. None of those had killable children as far as I can remember, but were they bad or unrespectable games? No.

Then there's games like Dead Space where you are literally stomping on babies. Why weren't people losing their shit over that?

I don't think zombie children would add anything to DayZ. Someone mentioned that they could be faster because they were smaller but that's not how legs work. They're faster in NMRiH because the adults -- for the most part -- don't run, while all of the children do. And like Chris529 said, the virus would be more likely to just kill them due to their weaker immunity system, than turn them.

Go back and reread what I wrote. Never said that I lost respect because of him not adding them. I said I lost respect for the lame fucking excuse of it taking too long. If your going to not add them, don't disguise a time frame being the reason why, that's just lazy development. If they don't want to add them for moral reasons, then give that reason.

Using lame excuses is signature of companies like EA. Rocket has always been pretty honest and upfront.

I'd definitely like to see different varieties like that in which I'm glad they have women have zombies as well. If I remember correctly; it had something to do with the animation skeleton, not too sure.

There just won't be any crawling around with large portions of their bodies missing. This doesn't mean there's not going to be any variety.

Man, I'm sorry but... lots of sissies on this forum. Shit. They're pixels for crying out loud. People act like they actually have to harm children to put them in a game. Morality does not apply to an artificial construct which is basically nothing more than 1's and 0's. As previously mentioned, there are zombie children in the Walking Dead - which shows them being killed and even mutilated in graphic detail - but that hasn't been banned. I don't get it. So in Australia, it's okay to watch people kill zombies in crisp, real-life style effects and gory details, but it's not okay to shoot one in a fake looking video game? And I thought Aussies were tough...

Seriously people, rethink your values. It's okay to shoot a human player and totally ruin his experience, but a fake zombie child is just taking it too far? Really? That's like avoiding a dog in the road only to run over a person. Just fucking stupid.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 2

Sorry but i don't find running around smashing Pixeled Children as a game Changer, i feel there is enough Senseless violence shoved down our throat in all different formats. But as this is a FORUM i am entitled to my sissy opinion

Sorry but i don't find running around smashing Pixeled Children as a game Changer, i feel there is enough Senseless violence shoved down our throat in all different formats. But as this is a FORUM i am entitled to my sissy opinion

Okay but it isn't senseless if there is a point. Postal 2 is a game that contains "senseless" violence. Grand Theft Auto is a game with "senseless" violence. Killing an infected child who is trying to rip your throat out isn't senseless, it's completely sensible. It's not like this game even has gore. You just shoot zombies and bam, they fall down. There isn't even blood spray. There's hardly anything "violent" about it. This isn't Dead Rising. There isn't any "smashing" to be had. Just crappy melee combat which results in insta-death.

You know what's senseless? Shooting an unarmed player with a sniper rifle from 500 meters away. Yet nobody seems to take any issue with that sort of violence. I'm merely pointing out the obvious dilemma you have when you start applying morality to fictional actions in a fictional video game. The only thing that is real is the way you interact with other players. Whether a zombie is big or small really doesn't matter, because it's just a graphic representation of a zombie. Moral arguments just don't hold up to me here. Adding children zombies would add a richness and context to the game that other games always shy away from. It adds to it because people like you have a problem with it. The moral dilemma adds to the context and realism of the game, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Okay but it isn't senseless if there is a point. Postal 2 is a game that contains "senseless" violence. Grand Theft Auto is a game with "senseless" violence. Killing an infected child who is trying to rip your throat out isn't senseless, it's completely sensible. It's not like this game even has gore. You just shoot zombies and bam, they fall down. There isn't even blood spray. There's hardly anything "violent" about it. This isn't Dead Rising. There isn't any "smashing" to be had. Just crappy melee combat which results in insta-death.

You know what's senseless? Shooting an unarmed player with a sniper rifle from 500 meters away. Yet nobody seems to take any issue with that sort of violence. I'm merely pointing out the obvious dilemma you have when you start applying morality to fictional actions in a fictional video game. The only thing that is real is the way you interact with other players. Whether a zombie is big or small really doesn't matter, because it's just a graphic representation of a zombie. Moral arguments just don't hold up to me here. Adding children zombies would add a richness and context to the game that other games always shy away from. It adds to it because people like you have a problem with it. The moral dilemma adds to the context and realism of the game, in my opinion.

Along with that, it's all dependent on your play-style. It's not like any of us are forced to kill anything or anybody. It's just an opportunity/choice that's available in the game.

Zombie children would be only good for a variation purpose to make the zombies more "diverse" .. This could be easily replaced with zombies that are missing limbs (Or even cut in half) .. It's just a minor idea to begin with.

My kids watch me play from time to time and this game scares the shit out of you, Which is a rare quality. But the powers that be would not alow such a game to be availabe to certain countries, i live in Australia we have only just got a 18+ rating for our games but we still are restricted to what the government lets in. And i would not be very happy if i were not able to purchase the SA because someone wanted more "Realism". Sorry for the rant but thats where i stand on this matter

• Like 3

My kids watch me play from time to time and this game scares the shit out of you, Which is a rare quality. But the powers that be would not alow such a game to be availabe to certain countries, i live in Australia we have only just got a 18+ rating for our games but we still are restricted to what the government lets in. And i would not be very happy if i were not able to purchase the SA because someone wanted more "Realism". Sorry for the rant but thats where i stand on this matter

Completely understandable. All opinions varies on our personal experience/preference. I just respect everyone's opinion equally :)

In my opinion, age ratings are there to protect the game and possibly preventing younger audiences in purchasing a game with explicit content that could offend or cause harm. 

(I say possibly because adults with the child's supervision purchase mature rated games as well)

• Like 1

Yeah I get it, it's just odd to me that the Australian government would ban violent video games but not violent or gory film, which is far more realistic than a game. You do get the Walking Dead in Australia, right?

• Like 1

Yes and i love that show, i love the whole Horror Genre but it frustrates me with the games like GTA5 we get a Censored Version even though we have an 18+ rating. I am lost for words on some game restrictions, i am an adult i should be able to play violent games without the goverment restricting me

• Like 2

Go back and reread what I wrote. Never said that I lost respect because of him not adding them. I said I lost respect for the lame fucking excuse of it taking too long.

Oh really now? Well gosh, let me just go back and re-read your.. Oh. Wait, hold on.

I'm really hoping they're in the game. I'll be admittedly VERY disappointed in the dev team if they aren't. And kind of pissed at the standalone.

Not kidding. It's one of the things that will make me kind of not want to play the game. It's that important.

I guess I was right after all.

Edit; I no longer agree with this message. Scroll down.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

I don't see this being a part of the game that is absolutely imperative for it to be fun. Not that it wouldn't be interesting, but I don't see this changing much.

Also, the game would likely be banned in Australia and Germany (similar to Left 4 Dead 2, which was banned because of intense gore [even though Valve later changed the versions for those countries]) and possibly in other countries as well. It's not really worth the effort to put in something which not everyone has the opportunity to experience, because unlike L4D2's clientside gore, players from tons of other countries join the same servers (including Australians and whoever.)

Yes and i love that show, i love the whole Horror Genre but it frustrates me with the games like GTA5 we get a Censored Version even though we have an 18+ rating. I am lost for words on some game restrictions, i am an adult i should be able to play violent games without the goverment restricting me

Yeah it sucks, tho you can always petition against these drifts of governance.

Yeah it sucks, tho you can always petition against these drifts of governance.

Unfortunately most politician's are not interested in the Gamer's of Australia, When they announced an 18 plus rating after many, many years of petitions we were all excited and thought as Adults we can now play the games we have so long desired. How wrong we were same games just now you have to be 18 to purchase really knocked the wind out of my sails. 

Yeah I get it, it's just odd to me that the Australian government would ban violent video games but not violent or gory film, which is far more realistic than a game. You do get the Walking Dead in Australia, right?

I think it's because when you play a game you are actually manipulating the on-screen character into performing the depicted actions, not just watching someone else do them, which is the case when you watch a movie.

• Like 2