rooniedoo

DayZ SA not being moddable

No modding for Battlefield 3 or CoD games after 4 is indeed a slap to the face of the community as it is obvious in my opinion that they did that to sell more DLC.

However, there is a damn good reason DayZ standalone does not allow it for now. The modding community screwed itself when it decided to ruin the DayZ experience.

I couldnt have agreed much on this, well said. Seems like all the "9 million+ choppers, 8 billion vehicles" server owners waiting in line to screw SA experience.

The only reason dayz exists is because arma 2 was modifiable.

I will be extremely disappointed if SA  is not. No one is stopping you from playing regular dayz SA. But it would be great to see epoch or origins being ported over. These mods have drastic improvements to regular dayz and its much more fun and fulfilling then the regular dayz ever was. 

The more options the better, and the dayz mod right now would have maybe half the players if epoch wasn't there at the moment. I want to say I trust rocket 100%, but I don't. I believe he would make an amazing base dayz, but it will be up to the community to do what it has done in the past and improve what the developers have already given us. 

I will be extremely disappointed if SA  is not. No one is stopping you from playing regular dayz SA. But it would be great to see epoch or origins being ported over. These mods have drastic improvements to regular dayz and its much more fun and fulfilling then the regular dayz ever was. 

The more options the better, and the dayz mod right now would have maybe half the players if epoch wasn't there at the moment. I want to say I trust rocket 100%, but I don't. I believe he would make an amazing base dayz, but it will be up to the community to do what it has done in the past and improve what the developers have already given us. 

That's such a moot point.

If you look at the current state of the mod then yes, lots of things are stopping us from playing regular DayZ. There aren't any populated servers for a start, only 100 heli/self blood-bag servers...

In opening the standalone up to modders Rocket would essentially be shooting himself in the foot IMO.

• Like 1

when they release DayZ STANDALONE #2 :D

then is good time open game for community for modding and maybe private hive etc see what they doing good and bad ;)

but before this NO MODS >:(

Edited by KoS

Most of these "drastic improvements" do not fit into the idea of what this game was meant to be about though. Don't forget that no one is stopping you from continuing playing DayZ mod, and mods of the mod either.

• Like 2

The game itself was the most hacked survival game because it was "modifiable".

The most stupid idea comes out of nowhere that you can use "currency" in an apocalypse world and make the game easiest survival game because it is "modifiable".

The people who plays these abominations of regular DayZ can easily find 5 choppers, 10 vehicles and create a new "WOODBURY" city in 7 or 8 minutes, because game is "modifiable".

Aaanndd you do NOT trust Dean making a pure, improved regular SA of DayZ because he will not allow you guys to create another epoch crap. If I were Dean, I wouldnt allow you people to play this game actually. Because you really dont deserve this...

I agree 100% that these 500 heli, start with m4a1 self blood bag servers suck. And those I will not miss.

What I will miss is the variations of the mods. Like origins, epoch and the amazing maps like tavianna and namalsk. They added options and variations and made the game fresh and new every time. The base dayz got stale and boring and its these mods that added things like custom base building.. If it wasn't for these mods of mods, dayz would be empty. So either way, you wouldn't really have that many populated servers. 

Also you guys sound slightly selfish when saying you don't want the standalone to be modifiable. No one is preventing you playing the base dayz SA, the problem is many more people like the modded versions

Just look at epoch, there is more epoch servers then base dayz servers. 

Also you guys sound exactly like the base arma community: complaining how dayz ruined arma while you are complaining how mods ruined dayz. 

The game itself was the most hacked survival game because it was "modifiable".

The most stupid idea comes out of nowhere that you can use "currency" in an apocalypse world and make the game easiest survival game because it is "modifiable".

The people who plays these abominations of regular DayZ can easily find 5 choppers, 10 vehicles and create a new "WOODBURY" city in 7 or 8 minutes, because game is "modifiable".

Aaanndd you do NOT trust Dean making a pure, improved regular SA of DayZ because he will not allow you guys to create another epoch crap. If I were Dean, I wouldnt allow you people to play this game actually. Because you really dont deserve this...

It was the most hacked dayz game because it was a mod, actually if it wasn't modifiable dayz wouldn't exist. Regardless how crappy  easy or shity epoch is, you can't hide from the fact: more people are playing it then base dayz
Edited by xX_frost-wolf_Xx

I could care less, really, if the standalone is moddable, since most mods seem to dumb the game down to easy mode with far too much military loot and vehicles.  The only mods I've enjoyed have been mods like Redux and DayZ+ which tended to introduce better features while keeping the game hardcore or making it even harder.  Unfortunately, the masses want easy mode, so mods like Redux and + didn't do that well while dumbed down mods from Lingor and Namalsk to Epoch and Overwatch kept high populations. So I really don't care if the standalone is moddable if the mods are primarily just going to be designed by and for the easy mode crowd.

But I DO want to see support for private hives.  If it weren't for private hives, I wouldn't have played DayZ beyond the two months it took the public hive to drive me away from the game.  I'll give the public hive a chance since I really have no choice on release of the SA, and because of the SA's new architecture.  But I've heard nothing about measures taken to prevent server hopping and ghosting exploits in the standalone.  Exploiters are only marginally better than script kiddies in my book, and the public hive is riddled with both.  I'll take a good private community with good admins anyday.  At least on the private hives I play on, there is no server hopping or ghosting, and glitching or combat logging earns a temp ban that progresses to perm ban on multiple offenses.  And if a script kiddie kills you, you can post in the forum topic that appears after the script kiddie's ban, or contact an admin in the community's live chat or teamspeak to have your character rolled back to before the script kiddie killed you.  No more losing hours, days, or even weeks of gameplay to scripts.

Edited by H4YW1R3

xX_frost-wolf_Xx, If you consider it selfish that we want the actual DayZ experience to return so be it. DayZ is not supposed to be easy mode self blood bag item helicopter etc... Yet that is what modding has done to "DayZ"

Now again I think we can both have our cake and eat it as well. In the future it is of my opinion that BI should allow the engine that powers DayZ to be opened up for licencing and maybe even free for free projects. The deal should be.

#1 You can use the engine and future improvements.

#2 You are not provided with any art assets.

#3 You are not allowed to claim it is DayZ.

That way if one absolutely has to have that experience they can make it.

• Like 2

Last time I checked, DayZ wasn't meant for the mass market anyway. If some people want to play Baseville then let them enjoy the mod until the SA is actually complete. After that, have at it.

The reason the various pop mods even exist has a lot to do with Rocket's original vision of what DayZ is/was/should be. Luckily for us, BI got behind him and he's off making a game that most of us have been waiting for. So why don't we wait and see how that works out before wanting some watered down mod with ridiculous features?

And.. if I were Rocket I would probably include a nice paragraph or two in my UA that bans the douchebags and their associates that dropped turds all over my work from modding or hosting the SA.. but that's just me.

• Like 3

I really hope they keep SA locked down, at least for the first 5-10 years.

Mods to SA would inevitably dilute the player base, and we'd also end up with the mess we now have.

By all means, keep churning out badly thought through additions and endless bloody variations on DAYZ for the ARMA 2 mod, but leave the SA virgin as it were...

I would on the other hand like to see a possibility of new maps. But, only as long as the database of objects/weapons etc remained consistent throughout all.

And obviously these maps would have to be to the standard that we are promised Cherno+ is adhering to.

I can't see extra maps being detrimental to the SA, but seriously, if someone could point out any reasons why they might be, then I'd sincerely like to hear those reasons.

• Like 1

Think about it tho. Community made maps would be awesome. But who gets the task of looking through every texture and model involved to assure nothing is ripped from other copyrighted works?

SA is going to be locked down. That means content has to be delivered through a steam update. A mess to say the least.

Think about it tho. Community made maps would be awesome.

Not in every case. Many modder do have visions of the mod which are very different from that what the game is supposed to be.

If you open the Stand Alone for modding, it inevitably would get watered-down and distorted very soon.

Being loocked down actually is a very good thing for a multiplayer game like this. If DayZ would be a singleplayer, I'd say you are right though.

Edited by Ken Bean

Read my post again. Of course Rocket and his team would likely reject maps that don't fit the vision of DayZ. However, that is not the main issue. The issue is how many people think it is perfectly okay to rip copyrighted material and submit it as their own.

That is why allowing the community to submit maps that could be used in the closed Standalone would be a mess.

Read my post again. Of course Rocket and his team would likely reject maps that don't fit the vision of DayZ. However, that is not the main issue. The issue is how many people think it is perfectly okay to rip copyrighted material and submit it as their own.

That is why allowing the community to submit maps that could be used in the closed Standalone would be a mess.

This is not the only reason and not the most defining. Mind that a game like Skyrim has its steam workshop as well. Copy-right issues is something that can be dealt with.

Skyrim isn't multiplayer.

I know. That's why I consider modding Skyrim is okay. DayZ as being a multi player game, not. Anyway, both games could have a steam workshop for custom content. Copy-right issues are not the defining reason to not to have one.

Edited by Ken Bean

I know. That's why I consider modding Skyrim is okay. DayZ as being a multi player game, not. Anyway, both games could have a steam workshop for custom content. Copy-right issues are not the defining reason to not to have one.

Like I said. Such work would have to come over a patch. Steamworks is a terribad idea because that makes it stupidly easy to post maps that are nowhere near the DayZ experience.

Keep DayZ locked down. Make the engine available for those who want to make their own games (Like Valve does with the Source engine)

I pray to the Almighty Bean God that they lock out modding from the SA for quite some time. Its getting tiring trying to find a good server among the "8 QUADRILLION HELI SPAWN WITH M4A1 HOLO SD  M203 SELF BLOOD BAG 420BONGLORDxX360NOSCOPEKINGSXx EPOCH" servers....

Edited because the forum is derp and posted without me hitting enter.

Edited by Pandema
  • Like 1

xX_frost-wolf_Xx, If you consider it selfish that we want the actual DayZ experience to return so be it. DayZ is not supposed to be easy mode self blood bag item helicopter etc... Yet that is what modding has done to "DayZ"

Now again I think we can both have our cake and eat it as well. In the future it is of my opinion that BI should allow the engine that powers DayZ to be opened up for licencing and maybe even free for free projects. The deal should be.

#1 You can use the engine and future improvements.

#2 You are not provided with any art assets.

#3 You are not allowed to claim it is DayZ.

That way if one absolutely has to have that experience they can make it.

The mods could be called anything under the sun. I have no problem with what your saying. However dayz wouldn't be where it is now if it wasn't for these "horrendous" mods. If dayz players disliked all these mods, they wouldn't be playing them. 

I'm kind of being the devils advocate in this discussion because the vocal majority on this forum is the minority of the player base. I would completely understand if they made dayz unmoddible and dayz would still be an amazing game. However it's lifespan would be severely reduced. 

Lifespan reduced compared to what?

What other open world fast zombie game will be able to remotely compare to DayZ in the future?

The 2017 team have discontinued the Arma 2 mod now (not that we were very popular in numbers to begin with), and we have no plans at all to mod SA down the line (if we work on the premise that permission was granted). Those days are over now, it was fun, but time to move on.I will keep opendayz.net going as its just got so much valuable info in there around arma scripting in general + a few of the mods who have home there I am sure will want to continue.

My personal belief is that now SA is getting closer to its release,  its time to leave DayZ to its new more suited, optimised rightful home and let players consolidate there.

I would be happy though to model some stuff and perhaps submit it to some sort of workshop or get involved in any other ways, as I am still a huge fan of this game first and foremost. But I will follow BI's lead on whatever modding framework they make available.

As for 2017 we have moved to Arma 3, but its no longer DayZ in both name and nature. Everything has been re-developed, modeled and designed again from the ground up and its turned into a different game with none of the orginal stuff in there apart from some of the stuff I modeled myself. The influence is there ofc still, but its turning into a different beast overall.

Its been interesting to be a part of it all. Both the dramas and the fun all at the same time. And to think it all started off for me from me havng two weeks off work after nose surgery and deciding to dig around and see how things work.

Edited by shinkicker
  • Like 2

420BONGLORD

Hahahaha, I've never heard this expression before but I sure as shit want to be one.

If dayz players disliked all these mods, they wouldn't be playing them. 

Not every person who plays "DayZ" is a "DayZ Player". I am a person who really enjoys the pure version of DayZ but I also play mods like Epoch and Origins. Heck I even tried out the Battle Royal mod which is interesting a very different way, but it is not anything like Vanilla.

We have games out there that you can drop into and play for an hour or two and come out having had fun but not had any real investment in. Games where the world isn't persistent and what you do today has little to no effect on what happens or what you do tomorrow in the game. That is not DayZ and shouldn't be. 

The appeal of DayZ to some of us is that we spend a good deal of our time and effort in gathering all the needed things and maintaining that status of alive and functioning. The threat that some other human or Zed could end that status makes it appealing. I enjoy gearing up but I don't enjoy rushing it because I know someone is going to grab the first Lee Enfield or other rifle he can find and go camp the fire tower in 3rd person. He won't worry about food or drink, or anything else because he has 20 shots and will probably die before he uses those up so doesn't care. That guy will just die, grab the first gun he finds and go right back to the firehall. He ruins the game for the people who are actually trying to play it and not turn it into a 30 minute round PvP CoD/BF match. 

There is a lot to be said for gathering everything you will need to not just survive, but thrive. Couple water bottles and means to boil them and cook meat, stockpile of meat, extra ammo for you main gun, and secondary weapons of your choice. Then you sit back and decide you might want to find a vehicle to fix up and maintain. Then maybe hunt the north for helicopter crashes, and such. That game needs a chance to thrive but it doesn't if there are 1000+ vehicles, extra barracks, self blood bag, start with DMR servers sucking up some of the playerbase. 

I get the whole, "But if they go there they wanted to play that type of game." and that is not exactly the whole truth. What ends up happing is that there are players that would be perfectly content to play DayZ Vanilla, in first person, with limited guns and ammo, with fewer vehicles, a full day and night schedule... IF there wasn't something easier for them to run to. I've got friends that would play First Person just fine, if Third didn't give huge advantages that made the game easier for them. Instead the cop-out and play the easier things. In the end they lose the experience they stated they wanted to have and realize that Battlefield is better for the game play style of spending a couple hours in a FPS PvPing like mad. 

• Like 1