Ozelot (DayZ)

Will hackers really be subdued in SA? Not likely.

This image should detail how the network bubble will impact on hacking.

Please remember this is only one part of a multitude of architectural changes relating to multiplayer security and performance. But even alone, the image demonstrates the significance of the change.

This functionality has been finished, and is tested and proven for SA.

5ezHgnh.jpg

Reading your text makes me feel like what I felt at the age of 10 after I just caught my first mewtwo.

You're so elusive man.

Brilliant, but does that mean IF people are in that area the client will be able to pick up things from there? Being a bit slow.

In ArmA the client can do many things (such as damage, change position) for non-local objects, and can do nearly everything with local objects (such as the player).

In DayZ, we have actively removed that functionality. Not only have the commands been removed, but the server actively ignores anything that does not meet with it's view of the world. For example, previously clients could use publicVariable to publish variables containing new functions to the server (and clients). In DayZ Standalone, not only do clients not have access to this command (it simply does not exist), but even when clients do try and publish variables... the server only listens for variables it has eventhandlers for... i.e. variables it expects to hear from clients.

Damage is calculated centrally on the server in DayZ, in ArmA it is calculated on every client. In DayZ your client identifies that is is causing damage, and sends a request to the server to process the damage. The server then conducts this.

• Like 7

In ArmA the client can do many things (such as damage, change position) for non-local objects, and can do nearly everything with local objects (such as the player).

In DayZ, we have actively removed that functionality. Not only have the commands been removed, but the server actively ignores anything that does not meet with it's view of the world. For example, previously clients could use publicVariable to publish variables containing new functions to the server (and clients). In DayZ Standalone, not only do clients not have access to this command (it simply does not exist), but even when clients do try and publish variables... the server only listens for variables it has eventhandlers for... i.e. variables it expects to hear from clients.

Damage is calculated centrally on the server in DayZ, in ArmA it is calculated on every client. In DayZ your client identifies that is is causing damage, and sends a request to the server to process the damage. The server then conducts this.

Posting on the forums?

#evidence_that_SA_will_be_released_very_Soon

In ArmA the client can do many things (such as damage, change position) for non-local objects, and can do nearly everything with local objects (such as the ayer).

What sort of punishments will be associated with such individuals trying to edit the server?

What sort of punishments will be associated with such individuals trying to edit the server?

None. The server simply doesn't Handle (i.e., an EventHandler) or Listen (i.e., NetworkListen) for such commands. Nothing happens.

Pretty good, really happy hackers are fixed

(I shat 2 bricks when I saw the purple name scrolling down the page :D  )

WULEvGN.jpg

Alright. But I kind of don't believe you, sorry. ^^

If you send me some proof, like a youtube video or similar, I could trust that it is the truth. Otherwise it sounds pretty, well, exotic.

Here is how it works. In order to display another player on your screen your client needs to be told by the server where they are at. So the cheat program is written to listen in to this communication. It hears your client broadcast your location and the server tell your client where the other player is. Simple calculation for range from there. If the cheat program knows the bullet drop it then knows right where to aim the gun to hit someone at coordinates X,Y,Z with the "bullet" since again that is all controlled by math and your client telling the server which direction you are pointing and how high or low. If they are moving it can take a sample of their location every tenth of a second and build a frame of reference for speed and vector from that and again calculate where they will be in order to lead the shot. 

The hardest part is probably figuring out what is sent back and forth between the server and client and the format of it, and then getting your software to inject commands into that stream without breaking it. 

Not only have the commands been removed, but the server actively ignores anything that does not meet with it's view of the world. For example, previously clients could use publicVariable to publish variables containing new functions to the server (and clients). In DayZ Standalone, not only do clients not have access to this command (it simply does not exist), but even when clients do try and publish variables... the server only listens for variables it has eventhandlers for... i.e. variables it expects to hear from clients.

So to go back to my layman's description.....

The scripts can be written easily... they can't be injected however because the server is going to be all:

Server: "Give me an update on what your player is doing."

Client: "Well he is accessing his bzrrrrt&^%#*^&% - Spawn Helicopter."

Server: *laughing* "Ah... I remember the days I had to listen to you. Those were hilarious days... but seriously what is he doing?"

• Like 2

Back in the day in counterstrike, we use to record a demo of a cheating player, mail it to the server admin and get the guy banned.

The Killcam in COD also intrigued me, because a cheater usually tips his hand in the last few seconds when he gets a kill.

Now if the server could record a killcam as a demo,  save it somewhere so that the server admin can review suspicious player.

As a player, I would also like to be able to see how my character met his end.  It would be great to have a "Create demo" feature in dayz on the client side as well.  Since you are only recording network data, it don't cause the performance problems streamers have to deal with.  And once you are playing it back, you usually have more control over the perspective you are viewing, maybe even seeing someone else's viewpoint could be possible.

The thing that I'am actually wondering is that possible for developer to create their own anti-hack tool ? or admin tool ?

Since everything will be run on the server, this would be more efficient and easier to do no ?

Ex : someone got a bug and loose his stuff, to give him his stuff back with a tool instead of going on the database. Or to teleport him in someplace.

Those a just for example.

What I mean is that possible for player who will pay for their server, to get a good admin panel ?

(Btw, a little bit off topic, but there will be public and private server ? or just public ?)

Rocket seems confident that hacking will no longer be a problem in the standalone, but how likely is it really? There simply is no such thing as an unhackable game, and considering we're using the same engine as before, many of the pre-existing exploits and flaws will still be there.

Even if SA is amazing, it will be utterly ruined if hacking continues to go unchecked as it has.

I think Rocket is thinking about those "big" hacks like teleporting other players, spawning items etc.

But as for esp hacks (wallhack for exemple) there have been so far no single FPS that wasyn't hacked by those. Even newest Call of Duties and Battlefields are hacked by esp hacks like wallhacks so if DayZ Stand Alone would be immune to wallhacks then it would be revolution in gaming.

So far best and only anti-wallhack method was whitelisting and active admins.

• Like 1