Sign in to follow this  
armyantsrule

....Crafting?

...How on earth does one start with crafting? I tried opening up the journal, but it didn't give me any booklet or anything like I've seen in some screenshots.

Is it an issue with the server? Do I have to get "lucky" and come across some sort of recipe?

I have found a few items that are usable in crafting, but I cannot seem to interact with any of them.

did you remap the key to open it up? because by default it doesn't have a key bound.

then you'll see the recipes.

• Like 1

yep, i second Bludy post - go to control options and in custom controls bind 'J' (or whatever you want) for journal and then it works.

yep, i second Bludy post - go to control options and in custom controls bind 'J' (or whatever you want) for journal and then it works.

You need to choose option N°20.

Once the journal is open click on Craft, you will see a list of recipes, drag & drop required items and hit craft !

On the server I was on, I did that, but the craft option never appeared. I will perhaps try a different server, though.

On the server I was on, I did that, but the craft option never appeared. I will perhaps try a different server, though.

happened to me also..on some server hitting ''craft'' made crash the diary..

It depends on the server. Some server have old serverfiles, but are running the newest patch (1.8.0.3).

This has to do with the servers having customscripts and the owners didn't bother reinstalling all their scripts to the newest .pbo's.

If you want to try a public hive server where it's actually working, try either "US 1503" or "EU2419". If you encounter any problems on there feel free to contact me personally.

Edited by kichilron

As much as it has seemed interesting to discuss on the forum and novel on its introduction in 1.8, I had already came to the obvious conclusion that as a player, crafting is pretty much pointless in DayZ in its current state, from a survival and loot storage aspect.

The game can be played without any detriment as if crafting didn't exist from an item need perspective.  Everything essential, nay primarily useful even, can be found ready made.

Collecting crafting loot is an unwanted burden that clogs up inventory and storage space far too quickly.  Why on earth would I want to lug around all the components for an item that takes the space of several ready made ones, which are plentiful anyway?

For crafting to even begin to have a point and not to be an inventory killing chore, identical crafting components should be stackable in single item slots, or have an "ammo count" of uses, not one piece per inventory slot.

Recipies need to be toned down from the implausible amounts of some items required.  I'm known for my dislike of contrived game mechanisms and making players collect tons of crap WoW style to artificially restrict an item doesn't wash on the plausibility front either.  For example, why the hell would anything smaller than an elephant's raincoat take anywhere near a whole roll of duct tape to make, let alone several rolls?  Duct tape should have an ammo count per roll.

At the other end of the scale, why can't something as simple as an empty tin or bottle be used to drink directly from pumps, wells and ponds?  Though more of an action menu addition than crafting, as it is a single component solution, the idea is in the same vein of consideration, in terms of plausibility and usefulness to players.

Sorry to sound harsh, but this isn't difficult territory I'm venturing into here and it doesn't take a think tank to come up with the reasoning.  Crafting in DayZ must have been one of those projects that causes a bad case of tunnel vision on the ideas front, because stepping back into the cold light of release reveals much fundamental room for improvement, with relevance, plausibility and transparency found wanting.

WoWZ?  No thanks.

Edited by RN_Max
  • Like 1

Even though I share your experience so far I can say that the crafting in it's current state most likely just a test being run live. We all know there's not much use to it - I mean. 6 items to craft 1 Bandage? Really?

But it shows us what is possible and what we can do and how it can be developed in the future. What you see happening there is the very first stage of what we will see in the future with the mod. Give it a bit of time. I personally really like the way it's heading and can't think of any drawbacks of the craftingsystem being implemented.

• Like 1

About the only thing decent in the current crafting batch of recipes is the baseball bat variations.  1 Baseball Bat + 2 nails gives you a nailed baseball bat.  Seems reasonable enough.  1 Bat, 1 nails and 1 barbed wire gives you the barbed wire baseball bat.  Thing is, neither seem any better (in fact they seem worse) than the trusty hatchet, so going through all the hoops of crafting the bats seems pointless.  I have made both a few times, and I always just drop them for the better-functioning hatchet.

• Like 1

I have no idea what all you nay-sayers are talking about.

You need to scroll further down the list. That's where the good craftables are.

Tripwires, bear traps, all things that have full functionality during the day or night. Tripwire grenade? Place that at the entrance to the barracks at NWAF and you've got yourself a nice, nasty little surprise for whoever wants to go exploring there next. Bear traps ain't got nothin' on tripwires!

Crafting itself is not completely finished. In the code you can see there will be way more useful things to craft in the future; such as camouflaged weapons, silenced weapons, etc.

I also assume crafting will be essential on the base building script being worked for the next version.