Sign in to follow this  
beavis_5000

Self Blood Bags

Been playing on some servers with Self Blood Bags recently. One of the worste things to happen to the game imo.

No need to be careful, cautious, avoid PvP situations and etc.

Go straight out and hunt people, mess up and and get shot a few times then no worries just Self BBag.

Sprint straight to the nearest barracks or place to get a good gun, F up and get swamped by zombies, no worries just Self BBag.

Self Blood Bags take teh real survival aspect totally out of the game imo. The introduction of self blood bags is where the game crossed the line from a Survival, Horror with a balanced amount of PvP to an all out competitve shooter imo.

• Like 1

i don't mind that they want it to be harder to survive on your own, but it's incredibly unrealistic for you to not be able to bloodbag yourself, in real life, you would totally find a way to bloodbag yourself.

i just wish it took really long and was almost an inconvenience, like perhaps you "spill some" and only get 9k blood out of it? maybe it takes your player a good 90 seconds to bloodbag because he has to do all the work himself? i don't care as long as it isn't just shoved off and pronounced "balanced"

• Like 2

Its not very unrealistic to think one could administer a blood-bag to ones self, but I think it should take much longer than it does. So you cant self Bbag in combat and shit, it would get you killed. But yeah, it does make the game a lot easier to deal with.

• Like 3

It is not realistic, true, but it is also not realistic for the bloodbags to be conserved without refrigerators, isnt it? One thing for the other I must say...

• Like 6

i agree with you..just the fact to have it, make the situation worse. people think they are invulnerable..

the ''realistic'' discussion is total crap..since in a few cases you are actually transfused with ''full'' blood, first step is phisiologic solution, next plasma, next blood and there are many kinds of hemocomponents you may need specifically.

sticking to our topic, soldiers knowadays have a catheter when they go in action, to not have to find a vein, that would take time, you could damage or brake it, you could find a closed one,

a transfusion takes time: 2-4 ml/Kg/hour (a unit of blood is 450ml) or you'll die from hypervolemia

you can have fever or hemolisys after a transfusion with blood..

blood and the major part of hemocomponents are conserved for a maximum of 42 days at 2-4°C, and must be kept agitated while brought at 30-36°C before injection...must i go on?

Edited by Bludy
  • Like 4

Well, if someone is able to give a blood transfusion to another person, then he surely can do that to himself too. All it takes is hanging the bloodbag above the recipient, disinfecting the skin, getting the needle in a vein, applying some duct tape over it and waiting. If you know how to hit a vein on someone else then you can easily do it on yourself too. It's not rocket science, gravity does all the job.

On the other hand, bloodbags in current system are totally unrealistic, given the fact there is no power, no medical refrigerators etc. So in such a situation the only solution would be direct transfusions, meaning drawing blood from one person and instantly transfusing it to someone else. This is the system the SA went with as we already know, and I think the mod is going down that road too in time.

Personally, I would love to see two more features.

1) When power generators are added, one should be able to hook up a fridge and store bloodbags there. Refrigerated blood (1 to 6 °C) has a shelf life of 35 days. Of course, if you failed to keep feeding petrol to the generator, of maintaining both the generator and the fridge in good shape, the blood should go bad and clot.

2) The other feature I'd like to see are saline solutions. For example normal saline (rehydration) and lactated ringer's solution (fluid resuscitation after blood loss). Maybe add some dextrose in. They'd work exactly like blood transfusions but with different results once a more complex medical system is implemented. These solutions need no refrigeration, so one would find them in hospitals, pharmacies, veterinary clinics, etc.

lol, bludy beat me to it.

Edited by h3l1x
  • Like 5

i don't mind that they want it to be harder to survive on your own, but it's incredibly unrealistic for you to not be able to bloodbag yourself, in real life, you would totally find a way to bloodbag yourself.

i just wish it took really long and was almost an inconvenience, like perhaps you "spill some" and only get 9k blood out of it? maybe it takes your player a good 90 seconds to bloodbag because he has to do all the work himself? i don't care as long as it isn't just shoved off and pronounced "balanced"

To go to the brink of death and be able to heal yourself back is unrealistice.

Having someone bring you back from the brink of death is more realistic.

Having a blood bag bring you back to full health after any injury is unrealistic.

Self blood bagging yourself back to full health from any injury no matter how serious is one of the least realistic things in the game.

Edited by electricfuneral
  • Like 1

Not a fan of blood bags period. I am not a fan of anything that magically instant heals.

• Like 1

It's really not that big of a deal. It's almost exactly the same if you have one person which is easy to acquire and many times self blood bagging takes longer anyways and may produce a higher chance of infection and or give less blood.

Well, if someone is able to give a blood transfusion to another person, then he surely can do that to himself too. All it takes is hanging the bloodbag above the recipient, disinfecting the skin, getting the needle in a vein, applying some duct tape over it and waiting. If you know how to hit a vein on someone else then you can easily do it on yourself too. It's not rocket science, gravity does all the job.

On the other hand, bloodbags in current system are totally unrealistic, given the fact there is no power, no medical refrigerators etc. So in such a situation the only solution would be direct transfusions, meaning drawing blood from one person and instantly transfusing it to someone else. This is the system the SA went with as we already know, and I think the mod is going down that road too in time.

Personally, I would love to see two more features.

1) When power generators are added, one should be able to hook up a fridge and store bloodbags there. Refrigerated blood (1 to 6 °C) has a shelf life of 35 days. Of course, if you failed to keep feeding petrol to the generator, of maintaining both the generator and the fridge in good shape, the blood should go bad and clot.

2) The other feature I'd like to see are saline solutions. For example normal saline (rehydration) and lactated ringer's solution (fluid resuscitation after blood loss). Maybe add some dextrose in. They'd work exactly like blood transfusions but with different results once a more complex medical system is implemented. These solutions need no refrigeration, so one would find them in hospitals, pharmacies, veterinary clinics, etc.

lol, bludy beat me to it.

Don't forget about blood types. Oh boy. It's gonna be hilarious when people are actually faced with a "realistic" scenario. People are gonna be dying from bad transfusions left and right. 

• Like 1

At leadt some kind of accidents while practicing any advanced medical treatment should occur sometimes. And if irl this happens almost in hospitals where you can take countermeasures, I wanna see shit and blood spraying when happens in the old fields..it would be logic to see an increased number of infections after you treat someone in field hygienic conditions..so we'll need emergency kits, heparin, and a use of epi pens and preventive use of antibiotics

I'd be fine if blood bags didn't exist, or were extremely rare. Add on self-bloodbagging and I just find it silly. It's generally on those crazy PvP servers that don't admit to being PvP servers anyway, and they're easy enough for me to avoid.

Sometimes I enjoy going and killing for the sake of killing, but self bloodbagging even then is silly. Too "gamey" I guess, as it just seems like a healthpack at that point.

it's almost impossible to find a server without self bloodbag at the moment, at least in my neck of the woods. utter pain in the ass. playing without means most of the time you're never on full health, making everything more of a worry, and it's great. it's pretty frustrating how to even get a playerbase as a new australian server, you have to include extra barracks/buildings, 500+ vehicles, self bloodbag and a gun. I know modding is a great thing, but looking at how it's been detrimental at least to my game as a whole, i find it hard to justify. 

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/149928-dayz-mod-1803-hotfix/page-3?hl=+self%20+blood as said here, they're going to add it in at some point, but it looks like they're going to make it difficult, so hopefully that could be a solution. 

it's pretty mentality destroying with it as a mod, but if the devs change the way bloodbags work, hopefully it wouldn't be such an easy procedure.  

and you shouldn't be able to do it in combat..

Been playing on some servers with Self Blood Bags recently. One of the worste things to happen to the game imo.

No need to be careful, cautious, avoid PvP situations and etc.

Go straight out and hunt people, mess up and and get shot a few times then no worries just Self BBag.

Sprint straight to the nearest barracks or place to get a good gun, F up and get swamped by zombies, no worries just Self BBag.

Self Blood Bags take teh real survival aspect totally out of the game imo. The introduction of self blood bags is where the game crossed the line from a Survival, Horror with a balanced amount of PvP to an all out competitve shooter imo.

There's nothing wrong with self bagging, it just needs to take a lot longer. Even team BB should take a long time (I propose a minimum of 2 minutes for team and 5 mins for self during which you can't move).

Since a cow pretty much heals you I don't really see the issue with a bloodbag doing it a little quick, but not in 30 seconds.

Don't forget about blood types. Oh boy. It's gonna be hilarious when people are actually faced with a "realistic" scenario. People are gonna be dying from bad transfusions left and right. 

Also how are people going to know their blood types? Unless they remember it's not like they can go and get it tested again.

There's nothing wrong with self bagging, it just needs to take a lot longer. Even team BB should take a long time (I propose a minimum of 2 minutes for team and 5 mins for self during which you can't move).

Since a cow pretty much heals you I don't really see the issue with a bloodbag doing it a little quick, but not in 30 seconds.

Because a cow makes you work for it at least. You couldnt go in and g straight into gun fights without the worry of getting shot if cowas were all that healed us.

And if you blind cause your blood is so low its way easier to find some blood bags than it is to find hatchet, wood pile, matches, hunting knife and cow.

Blood bags and cows arent even close to the same thing.

It's really not that big of a deal. It's almost exactly the same if you have one person which is easy to acquire and many times self blood bagging takes longer anyways and may produce a higher chance of infection and or give less blood.

A friend easy to acquire? Ive had my dude passing out and blinded for dayz (sorry cant help it), begging for someone to help me with a blood bag to no avail. All the while trying to find a hunting knife with no success, matches, cow or etc with no success.

And if you do find someone to help you out its highly likely they will just kill you.

Standalone will have its own unique way of dealing with blood and the healing process anyway but for the mod it might be a good idea to cap the ability to self blood bag at 6000 blood. Anything below that makes you "too shaken up" to administer this complex task.

This way you can keep blood bags in the game, balance them out, makes it nearly impossible to self blood bag during combat since the damage you're taking from the first hit is propably higher than 6000 blood, and can deal with the "unrealistic-argument" of not being able to manage the procedure on yourself.

To smoothen things out you can raise the risk of blood spill or infection due to (self) blood bagging through various stages ranging from 12.000 to the cap of 6.000 blood.

Never played on a self blood bag server but i can easily see the issue this option comes with.

• Like 1

Because a cow makes you work for it at least. You couldnt go in and g straight into gun fights without the worry of getting shot if cowas were all that healed us.

And if you blind cause your blood is so low its way easier to find some blood bags than it is to find hatchet, wood pile, matches, hunting knife and cow.

Blood bags and cows arent even close to the same thing.

Well on the way to the hospital, you'll probably pass 2 or 3 cows and i'd hardly call it work killing and gutting them. My point was it's not particularly hard get enough food to heal you. I did also say the process should take a long time - this 30 second fix is complete BS

i think who say self blood heal isnt realistic also think bloodbag your partner in 2 min is realistic right?

I dont know if this is server optional but if is, move to another one?

Usually servers with this option have focus on pvp im sure if you search you will find a server to fit your gamestyle.

No one even cares about realistic.

It's a poor game feature to have self bloodbag. Now you really have no reason not to be a jerk since you don't even need another person for quick healing. Self bloodbags lead to careless gameplay. When alone I am super careful and will disengage or exfiltrate to safety if my blood drops below half. With a partner with plenty of bloodbags we will stop quick, fill up, and continue on. Self bloodbags remove the need for a partner and just mean you can smash your way through the game as long as you don't get knocked out. 

• Like 1

The whole blood bag scenario is a dreadfully silly mechanism used to include health packs of a sort.  The game would only benefit from their removal.

The proposed 1.8.1 blood bag parts (or transfusion kit) scenario seems to be a much better balance of symbolism against plausibility, as the blood has to be produced from a player, not found on a derelict hospital floor or in a cardboard box.

As long as the donor also loses the equivalent amount of blood health into the bag and has to regain it again, I can't envisage any reasonable objections to the new proposal.  Putting an expiry timer onto every bag produced might not be workable, but that's for those more familiar with the current data burden in the hive to decide.

• Like 3

Well on the way to the hospital, you'll probably pass 2 or 3 cows and i'd hardly call it work killing and gutting them. My point was it's not particularly hard get enough food to heal you. I did also say the process should take a long time - this 30 second fix is complete BS

Considering you have a knife, matches, wood pyle, are in a desolute area to make a fire and not draw attention and a cow right by you then yes eating a cow is getting close to being as easy as a BB. Still not as easy tho even with the given circumsatnces.

Killing and gutting a cow even if you have everything you need is still way more work than a BB. And if you are missing one peice of the puzzle (matches,hunting knife or etc) it can make things way harder.

Theres been times when Ive had better luck going from town to town eating all the canned food I can find than finding all the things needed to eat a cow. Talk about alot of work to get healed.