mind_grenade

Classes in DayZ (let the shitstorm commence)

First off, if you're a teal deer (tl;dr) or have ADHD, it's safest that you just go now. It has a preface. With sections. I tried structuring so it's easier to take in.

I know everyone's a fucking professional on these forums, I thought I'd just chuck this in 'cos it seems like a fun idea that would add a whole bunch to the DayZ experience without altering the existing elements we love ohsomuch. Devteam will probably never see it though haha. Ohwerllz

===========

| PREFACE |

===========

I) Firstly, I'm not a carebear, nor a bandit. I don't KoS (I'm the

type to hold open doors for people IRL, I won't ruin your day for fun), only return fire. This is *NOT* an "answer to PvP", it doesn't need one. I personally want PvP to stay as it is.

II) I'm a lonewolf survivor, fully decked with ~ 40 hrs play now. Current character has been alive since around 1.6. The motives of this idea are not so we can all prance around happy together. It'll probably get 0 replies and 6 views but I'll throw it out there anyway until it sinks into the abyss of DayZ forums.

III) I don't play WoW ;) Fuck, I didn't even get D3. Last game I played with classes was Borderlands.

IV) I came up with this solely because it seems odd that everyone in Chernarus before the breakout was a fit helicopter mechanic, trained in guns and first aid, that when shit hit the fan thought the best idea was to grab a bandage and a box of Panadol before heading to their local beach.

I know some people hate the idea of classes because it sounds WoW-ish, but give it a read.

=============

| OVERVIEW |

=============

I think if classes were to come to DayZ that it's massively important that it doesn't impact on the sandbox nature of the game, i.e limit what certain "classes" could and couldn't do. Everyone should be able to repair vehicles or heal themselves, and do ANYTHING. But in a world where there were doctors and mechanics beforehand, it only makes sense that we have certain skills that help in certain areas, and you could choose (or randomize it in true rocket style) what area you wanted to have the advantage in.

A part of the appeal of this game is that everyone is equal, and I get that, and I love it. I wouldn't want this idea to impinge on that at all. I think skill trees and other typical elements of classes from classic RPGs would segregate everyone too much and be a balancing nightmare. But the simple idea of choosing what you were before SHTF would be ohsocool. I think it would equally as interesting if you could/couldn't identify different classes.

===========

| CLASSES |

===========

These are what I thought of:

[DOKTOR] - this one would probably require a new injury system (which would be cool anyway, I hate the idea of bandaging from a fall :/ ), likely one with different grades of cuts, and grades of breaks.

- starts with a first-aid kit (a few more medical supplies)

- Can stop a small bleed without bandages/equipment

- any first aid given by a doctor gives some blood back.

- The ability to perform CPR to bring someone back from unconsciousness/*LOW* (e.g 2%) chance of reviving killed player to being alive with a very low amount of blood. Defibrillator kit maybe with limited use? I know lifeguards have portable ones.

- Performs faster first aid

[MECHANIC] - also, would require different repair system, but the idea of jogging across the countryside with a wheel or an engine block in your bag and jerry can is a bit OTT to begin with. And I don't know why cars would be in working order, but missing wheels. Are zeds really hoodlums that took the wheels for money? I think it would be cool if they were abandoned simply because they needed new sparkplugs, and the driver didn't have any.

- Spawns w/ mechanics toolkit on belt (where matches etc go)

- Can pick up "car parts" (one item, 2/3 slots like scrap metal, contains various car parts like fan belts, plugs etc)

- Repairs vehicles easier with less parts.

- Can identify the exact part needed to fix, and how many

[sOLDIER]

- Less reticle movement when ADS.

- Slightly faster movement speed

- Weapon/ammo spawns slightly more (e.g slightly higher chance of better weapons at military spawns etc)

- 1/2 more carry slots.

- Starts w/ pistol? Or an empty rifle... something that wouldn't cause massive spawnkilling again.

[HUNTER]

- Starts w/ xbow/knife/matches/hatchet (one of, randomly chooses)

- Get more steaks from carcasses

- More chance of hunting class weapons like xbow/Winchester from barns and civilian loot spawns

- Can perform silent takedown with knife if unseen/undetected.

- Higher chance of finding tents

- Can construct shelter from wood (with hatchet). For this to be an advantage weather would need to be more of a threat (I'd fear rain at night more than zeds, it's almost certain death if you get wet with no warmth or shelter in that climate)

[CAREBEAR]

- Eats sadness

- Shits rainbows

- :)

==============

| CONCLUSION |

==============

I think classes would add a bit of variety to the gameplay, and increase the need for P2P interaction (there is currently no, to very little, need to interact without bullets) without forcing it on anyone. I mean, you don't need anyone's help in DayZ currently (other than blood bags, but I can kill a sheep with MUCH less risk for the same thing). You can do everything just as well as the next man, so you have no reason not to shoot him. In a real apocalypse (I know, I know, rocket isn't going for 100% realism) if I were hurt, and I could tell someone was a doctor I sure as hell would think twice before killing him for his beans. It wouldn't FORCE interaction in any way as you could still do everything yourself, but it would give SOME reason to, if you chose to play that way to team up.

Thanks for comin', it's been fun. I know rocket or the devteam most likely won't see it or ever implement it, hell it'll probz just sink into the abyss of the forums with no replies but I had fun thinking of it, and it feels like it would be a fun addition that wouldn't cut off sections of the game to anyone or change your current style of play.

Reply with what you think of it though! I'd like to to see the community input on the idea just out of curiousity.

• Like 5

dont knock it before you read it, youre just being an ignorant ass. I think "player backgrounds" is a better idea, you know, like what your DayZ character did before shit hit the fan. I think the word "classes" just turns people off to the idea. It should be a very, VERY, subtle system though

I think the word "classes" just turns people off to the idea. It should be a very' date=' VERY, subtle system though

[/quote']

Yeah that's what I thought too. It really can't cut people off from actions

Classes, as a whole, would be fairly pointless for DayZ given that those who do survive have to be very versatile at all times. Having classes would lead to major imbalances, and everyone would pick the one that starts with a gun. Everyone can do everything right now, and really that's the best way to keep it.

Have you thought about what a juggernaught a small squad comprised of all the classes would be? It's kind of a cool idea but I fear it could completely unbalance the game once people figured out how to exploit the different classes.

I can see where you are coming from - the idea everyone can fix a car, a helicopter, give blood transfusions, skin an animal for meat and be able to hit a Zed from 500m is a bit far fetched.

Instead of picking a class maybe have a system of you getting better at what you do. If you hunt animals you are gradually able to get more meat. If you bandage others you get quicker at it. If you try and fix things you fix stuff that is a bit more reliable. Shoot a pistol 500 times, your aim gets better. Subtle things which wouldnt break the balance too much.

My 2 cents

• Like 1

maybe, rather than classes, characters should be able to learn how to do things. Perhaps a helicoter repair instruction booklet? Maybe there should be a computer terminal with instructions on how to repair helicopters somewhere before you can go out and repair one. i just dont know...

Implementing some sort of class system would be a very difficult thing to implement properly.

"Have you thought about what a juggernaught a small squad comprised of all the classes would be?"

Well that's the idea. There would be an actual advantage to teaming up, without forcing it or really, changing the game in any real way if you didn't want to play that way. None of the classes really make it easier to go killing everyone or doing something really affects

"Classes, as a whole, would be fairly pointless for DayZ given that those who do survive have to be very versatile at all times. "

And that's true. Which is why it's important that everyone can still do everything, but certain past occupations make it easier to do certain things. And re: the gun thing, that's why I put the ? there. I think an empty rifle would be suitable.

I personally would choose the mechanic.

I like the idea of "classes" in that their profession can do things faster. Example; everyone can repair a car but lets say it takes 1 minute to change a tire and you make % of noise, a mechanic can change a tire in 20 seconds and makes less % of noise. Maybe as hunter/outdoorsman can get more wood/meat then others or maybe when a female cooks it gives more blood when eaten (that female thing was a joke, no offense intended please). But I don't think that "classes" should have different starting items, just that they have like 3 male and 3 female models for each class (randomly when respawn) and they do things faster then others or something.

There are lots of civilian models ingame but I see why rocket does not use them (backpacks dont show up on them).

"But I don't think that "classes" should have different starting items"

I thought having something relevant to their particular past was more immersive than a bandage and painkillers? Ghillie suit doesn't have a backpack but it still looks good :P

Instead of picking a class maybe have a system of you getting better at what you do. If you hunt animals you are gradually able to get more meat. If you bandage others you get quicker at it. If you try and fix things you fix stuff that is a bit more reliable. Shoot a pistol 500 times' date=' your aim gets better. Subtle things which wouldnt break the balance too much.

[/quote']

I feel this is a much better version of the general idea.

I don't think classes would work particularly well in DayZ, and I definitely don't think they would improve the gameplay.

The worst part about classes is balancing. I don't know of a single game that has consistently and successfully balanced classes. There will ALWAYS be an advantage or disadvantage to the class you pick. There will be constant nerfs, buffs and general attempts to balance each class.

As someone who played a game with classes - and constant balance issues - for many years, it never fixes itself or goes away. There are always classes that are strong one patch, then over-balanced later on and weaker than the others. There are always players swapping and changing to gain the highest advantage, patch-to-patch.

It takes the developers' time and attention away from other issues so that they can focus on the impossible task of balancing several classes with different abilities.

Even when those abilities are subtle, the balance is still ultimately thrown.

• Like 1

-1 the "classes" of DayZ are what you make yourself out to be. Not what you choose to spawn as.

I can see where you are coming from - the idea everyone can fix a car' date=' a helicopter, give blood transfusions, skin an animal for meat and be able to hit a Zed from 500m is a bit far fetched.

Instead of picking a class maybe have a system of you getting better at what you do. If you hunt animals you are gradually able to get more meat. If you bandage others you get quicker at it. If you try and fix things you fix stuff that is a bit more reliable. Shoot a pistol 500 times, your aim gets better. Subtle things which wouldnt break the balance too much.

My 2 cents

[/quote']

I definitely like this. No need for a restrictive class system, but skill progression would absolutely be a good game mechanic.

• Like 1

I think something where you choose what your profession was before the outbreak might be nicer. Like, if there was to be lots of different models, id be up for it. For examples:

Medical profession:

You start in a hospital or medical bunker with 3 bandages and a blood pack. You wear a medical-type outfit

Civilian profession:

You start in a city or town with a water bottle and a few baked beans. You wear normal clothes

Military background:

You start in a military base or airfield with a pistol and chemlights. You wear cargo pants and whatever.

Apart from starting points, what your starting items are and what your starting off clothing looks like, classes shouldn't effect anything more then that.

I'm not against professions that would give slight bonuses and maluses, but I'm against the way you would like to implement it.

Hey Op - I actually suggested something like this yesterday, and got flamed.

I think that classes would work - but only as something cosmetic which doesn't unbalance the game. We should all have the same skills and chance to spawn the same loot. Classes should really just be a way to get different skins into the game.

I also think that no-one should start with a weapon, which is a step back from my original idea. I think classes should really just be about starting gear and new skins. For example:

*Civilian - starts with a coyote backpack, food and soda.

*Soldier - starts with Czech backpack, chemlights and a compass.

*Medic - starts with morphine, pills and bandages. No backpack.

*Hunter - starts with knife, map and binoculars. No backpack.

*Mechanic - starts with toolbox and roadflares.

So, that's 10 skins (5 classes+male/female= 10)

Personally, I'd play civilian. I really don't see what's wrong with this idea as a way forward for thie game. It's going to grow up one day and be a standalone product after all (probably), and will need features to do that.

HOLY SHIT I love it, I def think Rocket should see this, Would add a lot less KoS, But more importantly would make your player a bit more unique:D +1

No, simply no, classes destroy sandbox games. Check games like Face of Mankind for that.

Hey Op - I actually suggested something like this yesterday' date=' and got flamed.

I think that classes would work - but only as something cosmetic which doesn't unbalance the game. We should all have the same skills and chance to spawn the same loot. Classes should really just be a way to get different skins into the game.

I also think that no-one should start with a weapon, which is a step back from my original idea. I think classes should really just be about starting gear and new skins. For example:

*Civilian - starts with a coyote backpack, food and soda.

*Soldier - starts with Czech backpack, chemlights and a compass.

*Medic - starts with morphine, pills and bandages. No backpack.

*Hunter - starts with knife, map and binoculars. No backpack.

*Mechanic - starts with toolbox and roadflares.

So, that's 10 skins (5 classes+male/female= 10)

Personally, I'd play civilian. I really don't see what's wrong with this idea as a way forward for thie game. It's going to grow up one day and be a standalone product after all (probably), and will need features to do that.

[/quote']

This could actually work and also would give players more of a challenge at the start if they would like to go and hunt for food and water which you wouldn't necessarily have if there was a zombie outbreak...i know i don't carry food and drink were ever i go!

I like this idea very much. I think it would improve gameplay and teamwork by a country mile.

I like this idea very much. I think it would improve gameplay and teamwork by a country mile.

Yeah, that's just what I was thinking. Imagine spawning as a team of five with one of each!

Sorry dude tl;dr but I skimmed but got the gist. Whatever guise it is added in, I think this game needs to add something dso that survivors have something that others will not. The fact is that you have nothing that I need that I can't get on my own - so why not kill you in case you have it on your person. As soon s you team up you create a community - as soon as you you have that there is a moral compass/peer pressure added.

I just see it as flavour - and a way to get new skins into the game. We all look identical at the mo, making teaming wierd.

Oooh more discussion, forgot about this!

I don't think segregation via classes would be good, that would lead to endless balancing. I think it would best be implemented just to add a past to your character, and just add ANY reason for teamwork.

The idea of typical classes in Day Z is silly (would only imbalance things), generic (and therefore boring), and just a whole different mood than an Arma II mod should ever aim for. I almost want to say you ripped my idea of skill traits as well like the medical/mechanical stuff and turned it into a childish dream-up but I don't care enough to get into it.

I don't think having some sort of background to your character is a bad idea, but I think all of that should wait until Day Z actually fleshes out and we get to see what direction the devs are taking this thing into, ATM it's little more than a PvP sandbox in which zombies pose a threat up until you find a weapon. I hope to god this is just the bareboned skeleton of what they intend, and given that it's an alpha I have a lot of faith.