riwa

Zombie speed?

I really love day z. Several of the submods. But what about the zombie speed? At the beginning of a life, everybody abuse their speed bug, on hills and in buildings. I think it would be so much cooler if they were like 60% speed. And didnt lose any speed indoors.

What wouldve been even better, would be if each zombie had a random speed. So u occasionally run into a fast one. Then he will be a nightmare, cuz u cant escape him inside. But it would add a lot more variety to the game with this small (but not for that matter simple) change.

This random speed thing could be taken even further with random vision lenght and hearing on the zombies.. Would make virtually 1000s of different zombies.. Some almost blind deaf and slow, with the occasional super fast, good sighted and alert zombie..

Just my two cents

Edited by riwa
  • Like 1

Zombies in SA will run indoors.  Think their speed is okay but I tend to play stealth/ax murderer.  Sometimes Ill just let them run to me and swing when they get in range.  Don't think the average speed of zombies should change, but there should be 'rare' zombies that are either a little faster than players (not much but just slightly faster so eventually they'll catch up) as well as 'crippled' zombies that can't run.  Think they should be randomly assigned rather than 'Oh that Zombie wearing jogging gear is a fast one' or 'that old woman with a cane is a slow zombie'.  I do like the idea of some rare instances of zombies being deaf or blind.  Would lead to some 'oh shit' moments that make you calm down afterwards.

First of all zombies dont run...they are walking/crawling all the time, as many of you saw in movies. The stupid idea of runing zombies came of an idea of "infected", so they still kinda humans thats why they got their mobility.

Second of all, this game is called "dayZ"  and the Z stands for Zombie, if they want running zombies like mad they should switch tittles with Infestation(here at least zombies behave like a zombies), or Dayi, since we clearly have been dealing with infected...

BUT

Due to engine limitation on how many zombies can be in the world the only way to compensate the danger which comes from slow moving hordes of zombies(hundreds or more) is to make them fast to be more deadly with fewer numbers.

I hope the arma 3 engine will make possible to place thousands of zombies + a system with spawning additional zombies in the same place where a player dies from a zombie attack.

No idea who told you that man. Who told you that Z stands for zombies? You say CatZ and DogZ are also zombie games? Also, why would zombies not run. The idea for dayz is that they are infected humans, not undead meat. You should think more before you post. And if you didnt know, standalone wont be on ArmA 3 engine. And why the fuck zombies wouldnt run? Explain to me. Because movies said so? (If movies are true, all girls from my school should be sluts, fucking with everybody).//irritation by the post above off

The speed variation is good idea.

• Like 2

Then what the Z stand for? zebra?  Do you see any infected humans/animals in catZ,dogZ? nope?

Ok lets say standalone is arma 2,5, happy?

Why zombies wont run? let me think, coz they are rooting flesh? they can maintain some kind of mobility, but not the same as living person will fully functional body. On the other hand infected can be as fast as humans(if they aren't injured) or even faster if they can produce adrenalin all the freakin' time.

And now explain to me how a dead human body, with rotting muscles could run as fast as normal human?

They are not dead. they are infected living humans. this has been discussed hundreds of times and confirmed by the creator of the game.

• Like 2

First of all zombies dont run...they are walking/crawling all the time, as many of you saw in movies. The stupid idea of runing zombies came of an idea of "infected", so they still kinda humans thats why they got their mobility.

resident evil movies zombies run, open head in 4 differents way and someone are "mutants" , world war z zeds do a wave, I'm legend are zeds too ? or infected ? both cases they do mora than run , so go keep watching walking gaydead and be a happy CoD kid with slow zeds

Then what the Z stand for? zebra?  Do you see any infected humans/animals in catZ,dogZ? nope?

Ok lets say standalone is arma 2,5, happy?

Why zombies wont run? let me think, coz they are rooting flesh? they can maintain some kind of mobility, but not the same as living person will fully functional body. On the other hand infected can be as fast as humans(if they aren't injured) or even faster if they can produce adrenalin all the freakin' time.

And now explain to me how a dead human body, with rotting muscles could run as fast as normal human?

I think it's Day Zero.

As in...

Chernarus

Kamenka

Day 0

They aren't dead. It's been confirmed by Rocket at least 10 times and he's had his brother, a virologist, write a paper on the theoretical virus that the inhabitants of Charnarus are infected with; which I think you'll be able to find bits and pieces of throughout the standalone as a kind of backstory to uncover.

Play Left 4 Dead or watch 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later,  I Am Legend and/or other infection movies for reference. Infected tend to be fast and not the slow 'Romero' zombies.

Edited by mZLY

Show some respect son, and shut ur trap before u start the flame.

Every movie after RE1 is totally bullcrap, same as things coming from ur mouth. Go play Re1 or watch first Re movie, and show me a running zombie.

I am legend?  You comparing zombies to a mutant vampire crap that is afraid of light? gimme break.

The walking dead have at least some respect to the old fasion zombie movies not some hollywood crap. CoD? whats that? :D

If you werent a kid as u are, then you would know about typical zombie. All those above u giving a example of mutants or infected.

Yea and you should also mention zombie bats, zombie leader that is as smart as human, Zombie squid fish person(from REgames), zombies that have feelings. And other girly stuff that hollywood produced.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Yea i didnt know that:) i though that Z stands for Zombies lie it was with WarZ. Anyway Let there be infected!

Cheers

I think in those all movies those arent zombies, they are either a infected humans or somekind of mutaded infected humans:D Something like in Dead Island, we had the typical zombies, and the fast running infected that i think didnt turn into zombies yet.

Edited by Invy

I'm all for the random speed idea! like vary it between 70 and 120% of the players speed. That'll shake things up because you can't plan ahead. Well, you can, but it's harder.

Walking zombies would be boring.. Might aswell buy ArmA 3 and play wasteland if you want walking zombies. Aka some moaning things that can never catch up to you and are absolutely useless.

Every movie after RE1 is totally bullcrap, same as things coming from ur mouth. Go play Re1 or watch first Re movie, and show me a running zombie.

I am legend?  You comparing zombies to a mutant vampire crap that is afraid of light? gimme break.

The walking dead have at least some respect to the old fasion zombie movies not some hollywood crap. CoD? whats that? :D

If you werent a kid as u are, then you would know about typical zombie. All those above u giving a example of mutants or infected.

Yea and you should also mention zombie bats, zombie leader that is as smart as human, Zombie squid fish person(from REgames), zombies that have feelings. And other girly stuff that hollywood produced.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea i didnt know that:) i though that Z stands for Zombies lie it was with WarZ. Anyway Let there be infected!

Cheers

I think in those all movies those arent zombies, they are either a infected humans or somekind of mutaded infected humans:D

I Am Legend was the inspiration for Night of the Living Dead, which spawned the zombie genre.

Maybe if you knew what you were talking about instead of spouting rubbish you could follow your own advice instead of being so defensive and downright rude...

I wouldn't want to have to hand out a temp ban so early in your forums career...

2) Flaming:

Any material which constitutes defamation, harassment, or abuse is strictly prohibited. Use common sense while posting.

I think it's Day Zero.

As in...

Chernarus

Kamenka

Day 0

WINNER! This guy get's it right, not zombies......

It's not actually been confirmed, but it makes a lot more sense; to me at least.

From where did you get that info about i am legend being inspired by Night of the Living Dead?

What i found is only that I am legend zombies were inspired form 28 days later.

As i remember Night of the Living Dead didnt had any running zombies it was typical slow motion zombie.

Im not saying that running infected are bad, they are good for the purpose of the game to keep the difficulty. Since servers/engine can handle 100k slow moving zombies, or other high number that could eventually surround the player.

So back to the topic.

From where did you get that info about i am legend being inspired by Night of the Living Dead?

What i found is only that I am legend zombies were inspired form 28 days later.

I am Legend was the inspiration for Night of the living dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_%28novel%29 Not the Hollywood movie you are thinking about.

The world didn't begin when you were born.

Edited by Max Planck

OOoh oooh fact war!  I love these. *clears throats*

Technically, Romero called his 'zombies' Ghouls during production.  Zombies are really people who's death's were faked, and usually kept as slaves.  Occasionally they had brain damage from being buried alive for too long.  But 'I fed your cousin a poison that made him look dead, then brainwashed and kept him drugged up as a slave' doesn't sound quite as 'I'm a badass, don't fuck with me' as 'I killed your Cousin by putting a curse on him, raised him from the dead, and he's now my loyal servant, fear my power!"

Zombie's is an umbrella term now a days, and you gotta admit it rolls off the tongue a lot better than 'infected' 'rabid' 'mutant' or any other more accurate term.  I mean we could just as easily be using the terms Ghoul, Jiang Shi (which strangely enough kinda sounds like zombie), Draugr, Revenant, ect.

• Like 1

I like the idea of varied run speeds, just to mix things up a little bit. Like the OP said you could have that 1 nightmare zombie....the one you tell your group about around the campfire that night hehe.

They shouldn't all be walking dead speed though.....as someone said "that would be boring". And that's exactly why running zombies, branded "infected" were born....audiances were growing tired of zombies, the shock of a person rising from the grave just didn't have the same fear factor as people were becoming desensitised. I mean look the the lengths modern film makers go to to get that shock factor....things like "the hills have eyes" spring to mind, where theres inbred, cave dwelling, rapists....and people leave the cinema saying "meh it was ok" lol 

Zombies should be relatively the same speed a few faster and a few more slower, lowering the bar slightly.

Suggesting that a lot of slower survivors have already been munched on so you get to be slightly faster than the average zed.

Second of all, this game is called "dayZ"  and the Z stands for Zombie, if they want running zombies like mad they should switch tittles with Infestation(here at least zombies behave like a zombies), or Dayi, since we clearly have been dealing with infected...

BUT

Due to engine limitation on how many zombies can be in the world the only way to compensate the danger which comes from slow moving hordes of zombies(hundreds or more) is to make them fast to be more deadly with fewer numbers.

I hope the arma 3 engine will make possible to place thousands of zombies + a system with spawning additional zombies in the same place where a player dies from a zombie attack.

The original zombies were revived by voodoo magic. Not undead Romero zombies