TheWizard14

With this new Choose Spawn feature, Dayz Turned into CoD

Well, ever since the new choose spawn feature was introduced in 1.8 (yes I know it's optional), on big servers that I love to play on for vanilla dayz, people just keep choosing the same spawn and come back to kill eachother. Like Electro, I am a hero getting gear, and there are at least 15 other people wondering around too. There is massive gun fights, and when one bandit dies, he comes back 5 seconds later because of the choose spawn. Then everyone starts shooting on sight and run and shoot.    Basically Call of Duty.

Then what's even worse is when you have ALL the bandits and survivors doing that, they keeping dying, respawn at the same city and it's run and shoot because they can just go back to their body. I don't really like this.

• Like 6

Why do you do it then? Just head north and leave that battlefield behind you. This is your choice. This is you story. This is Dayz!

No seriously. Come north, we have everything, planes, helis, cars and what not.

• Like 7

well I hate to do it, but I am going to be very blunt. Either choose the random option or choose a server that has the spawn selection disabled

well I hate to do it, but I am going to be very blunt. Either choose the random option or choose a server that has the spawn selection disabled

That wasn't very blunt.

• Like 6

Ermahgerd CoD.

I don't play DayZ anymore. 

And I think it's better this way, the mod is dying anyways.

Don't forget this option can be disabled by server admins.

Edited by Hosty

Ermahgerd CoD.

And I think it's better this way, the mod is dying anyways.

Don't forget this option can be disabled by server admins.

You don't know what a dying game looks like.

• Like 1

Why do you do it then? Just head north and leave that battlefield behind you. This is your choice. This is you story. This is Dayz!

No seriously. Come north, we have everything, planes, helis, cars and what not.

Because it's bullshit to be arbitrarily stuck in one portion of the map because 90% of the players are massive assholes spawn-raping the major cities, arguably the most fun (or at least, use to be) sections of the map?

Yup, was a stupid idea to be implemented in the first place and the complete opposite of the spirit of DayZ.

People just choose the optimal spawns and then other people just camp the spawn areas - totally ridiculous.

• Like 12

I've actually noticed an improvement in reducing coast-player density since this feature was implemented...

Top four choices for your player looking to grab a weapon quickly are: Balota, Cherno, elektro, berezino.

In my experience thus far, if I see or know that a sniper/murderer is loose in elektro, I can spawn in balota and stay west instead. Or I can spawn in berezino if I really want to avoid snipers.

If you're playing on a server where everyone is spawn-kill-die cycling on the coast, politely inform them that the map actually continues up the hills to the north, and then try a different server.

Get on the bus north with everyone else here.  Seriously, if necessary it is possible to get most of the way up the map on a single tin of soda and can of beans.

In a sense, though, weren't people already doing this by suicide?

Yeah but some times they'd have to die 3-5 times before they got to were they wanted and it gave the player that shot em a chance to leave that town now it's crazy.

• Like 3

Pretty much this^ for me too.

Occasionally I'll dick around with buddies, but I just totally can't find myself having much fun at all, and tbh don't care for the spirit of the mod anymore... I think it's mainly just the direction the community is headed in regards to the heavy focus on PvP, and the total lack of the 'old' feeling you (I) used to get with DayZ. Even when we had douchebag skiddies, as50s/m107s, and ridiculous bugs... there was always that sense of hope that you'd have that you'd run into some cool guys... which I did plenty of times. But that feeling has long since passed, and has been replaced by not even wanting to play due to the game being SO heavily PvP oriented. 

The long (or short) wait til' standalone shall for me, hold many hours of Battlefield 3 and 4 honing my trigger finger.

• Like 4

Because it's bullshit to be arbitrarily stuck in one portion of the map because 90% of the players are massive assholes spawn-raping the major cities, arguably the most fun (or at least, use to be) sections of the map?

Welcome to the mod circa July 2012. 

Welcome to the mod circa July 2012. 

Hey, at least when you shot someone before the spawn choice, there wasn't a 100% chance of "That asshole bandit" respawning and running for his body/another body. It's stupid to shoot someone and then have him back in town with a gun shooting at you within 10 minutes.

• Like 3

Hey, at least when you shot someone before the spawn choice, there wasn't a 100% chance of "That asshole bandit" respawning and running for his body/another body. It's stupid to shoot someone and then have him back in town with a gun shooting at you within 10 minutes.

Can't help but agree with you there.   I hereby propose a respawn timer or some type of cooldown on spawn locations.

I really like having the choice of spawn but the downside needs to be addressed a bit.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago
  • Like 6

I haven't played with this enabled yet, so I'll check that out tonight, but I don't see it ruining everything.

Also, a bit irrelevant, but even with this disabled you can potentially spawn in Berezino now, right?

Can't help but agree with you there.   I hereby propose a respawn timer or some type of cooldown on spawn locations.

I really like having the choice of spawn but the downside needs to be addressed a bit.

Like, if you choose to spawn in "Drakon," the next 2 times you spawn, "Drakon" is grayed out.

• Like 1

Like, if you choose to spawn in "Drakon," the next 2 times you spawn, "Drakon" is grayed out.

I wouldn't base it on number of times a player spawns as that'll just lead to suicides but that would work just as well.  Perhaps when the player runs out of spawns he'd have to revert to randoms spawns.    A timer would probably work better though.  10, 15, even 30 minutes would be reasonable considering the whole "survival" aspect and all.

This feature is great.

Played my first run of 1.8 on US 3480 and chose to spawn in Elektro. This choice was based on my desire to get the hero skin and knowledge that many people in that city need help. Maybe it was a fluke, but the first 7 people I encountered were survivors, and the 4 of them that were armed did NOT shoot me. The new difficulty of zeds in this patch seemed to make the survivors I encountered eager to team, or at least not bloodthirsty to kill me. Eventually I was gunned down by a bandit, but I was able to bloodbag one needy player before this and was happy.

Next I went for Cherno, met another friendly guy, but was killed by some zeds. Then I went back to Elektro. Met a hero hunting bandits for the humanity, and we shared bloodbags.

Not everyone who chooses the cities does so just to kill and murder. They are also a good place to meet people, if you aren't scared to die. Sure people run back to get their bodies, but you can hide them no?

Choosing the spawn location is a big plus, and people will suicide less. Less bodies means less work for the hive, the server, and all of our clients.

The KoS crowd will never change, learn to deal with them.

• Like 2

Why even have the spawn selection system at all though? Seems completely unnecessary to me. Surely, in ideal scenario you wouldn't be able to recover your items at all. Since kicking a player from the server after he died would not be very practical, random spawn is the best and the most fair way to go about it.