bfisher

So what are you expecting if not KoS?

Well there's always the argument that killing in real life means your wasting peoples skills

Doctors being the main one

Of course bandits will survive, but only in their lifetime, once they are dead for whatever reason they are dead

Friendly people usually think long term, creating medicine, farming, building a settlement

Even some bandits would rather join a community that's surviving by farming ect than continue in the wilderness surviving and starving

If your smart, you don't kill everyone in a town to survive on their foods and goods for a month. You join them and protect it and live in luxury for a year or more (or as best as will be avaliable in the apocalypse)

As a bandit in the long term you have no future, every engagement is a chance of death

With people working together and sharing and defending their home have a better chance at a long term future

Which is something sadly most people fail to think about

• Like 1

Well there's always the argument that killing in real life means your wasting peoples skills

Doctors being the main one

Of course bandits will survive, but only in their lifetime, once they are dead for whatever reason they are dead

Friendly people usually think long term, creating medicine, farming, building a settlement

Even some bandits would rather join a community that's surviving by farming ect than continue in the wilderness surviving and starving

If your smart, you don't kill everyone in a town to survive on their foods and goods for a month. You join them and protect it and live in luxury for a year or more (or as best as will be avaliable in the apocalypse)

As a bandit in the long term you have no future, every engagement is a chance of death

With people working together and sharing and defending their home have a better chance at a long term future

Which is something sadly most people fail to think about

Long term, yes. Like I said the long term is for me no apocalypse. As soon as people build towns and behave like normal human with food etc, the apocalypse is over.

IMO the early days of the mod were a more authentic and enjoyable experience. There were bandits out there, but the majority were friendly and/or wanted to group up.

There was kind of an awkward uncertainty when you met someone... Will they shoot me or eventually betray me? There is no uncertainty any more because I'm certain that everyone will shoot me on sight, lol. DayZ was supposed to be a social experiment in a sense, not a deathmatch, and I feel that it's lost a lot of the tension that made it so great because of the KoS mentality of a lot of players.

exactly..

and well said.

You realise that that goes on my list of silliest things posted?

Being shot the second someone sees you isn't 'fun' or very good. Its annoying. 

KoS isn't a good thing for DayZ, if you want to do nothing but shoot people, go play regular ArmA.

Think about how dull the game would be without that possibility, it would quickly get old if you did not have the constant fear of death. We can talk about our perfect game all we want but currently we are limited by the mod where there really is not much to do (unless you are playing a mod of the mod). So without that fear of someone being able to murder you at any time the game quickly loses any meaning. I played on a server once where almost everyone was friendly and it was boring within a couple of hours.. If all you want is PvE maybe you should go play a coop game instead of a game with PvP options (tounge in cheek I respect your opinion). 

For the standalone if there is more to do coupled with features that allow for safer encounters (holstering/shouldering your gun and restraining players) it will increase the odds of having a different type of encounter. There will still be plenty of KoS, but like I said earlier that is desirable in this game since it adds to the tension and makes decisions more difficult. 

Finally who cares what would happen in an actual Zombie apocalypse, no matter how much people want to discuss realism it is still a game with the option to respawn and will never offer up "realism."

Edit: No idea why the post came through the way it did and too lazy to figure it out.

Edited by Zombie Jesus

Well, I don't agree with you. It depends on the scenario, if it was an extreme apocaylpse the people probably would act like in "The Road" (yes, best apocalypse movie ever made).

In the beginning, people would help each other, sure. But as soon as the food gets limited, people will kill each other. The problem is, once you realise that there are people out there who just kill you on sight, you will be very, very careful about what you are doing.

In such an scenario the bandit group has a way higher chance to survive. They go around and kill people. What are the others going to do? They are no bandits right? So why would they shot?

Well, they have no other choice. Even if someone seems friendly, he could betray you as soon as you go to sleep. You can never know, and this is not a game. You don't have a second chance, you just have one life. If you make one mistake you are dead. End of story.

I don't think that people would risk it to group up with random people. Either they have grouped up within the first view weeks and stay in that group. Or well, they are alone.

But, there is always hope for some people who are friendly and surely there are. But I don't think that these people would survive as long as the bandits. The bandits have the advantage to do everything they want. They are able to say "Hey! I am starving and I have no weapon!". The friendly people will help him, sure otherwise they wouldn't be friendly. They help him, take him into the group. And well, the day after they are all dead and the bandit, one guy, has everything he wanted. Even if there are some survivors, they have expirienced what people are capable of and they will never do the same mistake again. From that moment, these people will never again be friendly to other human beings, because of what they have expirienced.

That is why I think that most of the friendly groups would just be wiped out in a few years. At some point people will ofcourse build towns etc.

But at that point the apocalypse is over, in my opinion.

That's the thing though... In Chernarus food is abundant.

A couple of things. Authentic in what respect? Authentic meaning traditional? Authentic to real life? I don't think the game is authentic at all. The penalty for dying is great but not great enough, the penalty for killing is near non-existent. That isn't a criticism of the game necessarily, it is limited in what it can achieve, especially if it wants to remain as a fun game and not a way of life.

If I was in the woods, dirty, hungry, thirsty, just looking for an axe so I could make a fire and cook my meat (I've already killed a chicken by shooting it, I threw up when I gutted it, I think I have about 1 chicken breast intact), then I spot another survivor in a nearby village I wouldn't jog over to him and go 'wanna team up and shoot zeds, got any coke, I got meat?!' I'd be shitting myself and would either consider shooting him or fleeing.

Maybe DayZ was a social experiment. It has run it's course though. The result is that everyone is a dick, well to an extent. 99% of the species to ever inhabit this planet are extinct and we're not special. I wonder what humanity would do under DayZ circumstances. The other way to look at it is that the parameters of the experiment and the questions being asked were no good. If the game had more penalties for bad behavior or all servers had 'rules' (not the type which get you kicked) well at least you could test certain interactions.

One result that is clear though is that: I have little interest in teaming up with strangers, for a variety of reasons. If you ask I will go into them. I've always played the game as 'protect me and my buddy from everyone else', I only wish I had more friends with decent PCs who would play with me.    

But why would you consider shooting him? I think that's one of those of those things that's easy to say but would be a lot harder in reality. I think a lot of people would just hide, and others would call out to them out of desperation.

Edited by mZLY

I will be really surprised if any of the KoS people actually bother using handcuffs and all the rest to go through some elaborate hold up procedure.

I will be really surprised if any of the KoS people actually bother using handcuffs and all the rest to go through some elaborate hold up procedure.

ill be even more surprized if ANYONE actualy surrenders and allows handcuffing to occur..

the grieving from that just lends itself to a terrible time for those unwilling.

i bet 99% of the people either just run or tell them to fuk off.

Edited by Siberian

Pretty much. 

And destroying gear inside a clothing item that receives a hit might have some deterrent, based on how hard it is to find gear.  That being said, I am willing to bet people will just roll the dice and go for the kill robbing your pants if they shoot you in the chest.

People talk about "the early days", but I've managed to team up with total strangers many times in the past few months.  It's tough though.  It helps if you're on a server with side chat and it's own TeamSpeak.  But I did meet one guy who I teamed up with over a couple days.  Then we had a couple random guys come along with us as we geared up in Cherno.  Then we all died in a spectacular gun battle with one or more snipers.  But that's sort of how I envision the game.

• Like 1

As many players as we have on this web page that doesn't like KOS why don't everyone get together and join one good server so the game can be played the way most here want?

As many players as we have on this web page that doesn't like KOS why don't everyone get together and join one good server so the game can be played the way most here want?

Seriously.  If 4 or 5 people just meet up on a server, they have a whole lot less to worry about from KoS loners.

Because most of the people on this forum already have servers that they play on?

yeah don't stop KOS it is super fun!

few days ago logged in found hatchet, some zeds chased me,

I ran into large house started to kill them one by one,

then player enters same house and just looking at me how I kill zeds. 

When I done he shoots me in the head with AK .....

KOS it super fun

In a real world apocalypse type scenario I think it's more likely that the majority of people would try to help each other instead of hunting each other.

Sure, there would be bandit gangs, but I don't think everyone would take that path, and even then I think the majority would favour robbing people over shooting them on sight.

just dont come round my area looking for beans ;)

watch any media, apocolyptic film in any genre when there is mass histeria or zombies or whatever people live on pure basics of survival which is risk/probablity.

im with my five family in my house stranger outside risk is acccessed if i see crowbar in hand or sharp fire axe you are being killed !

why ? you were a risk to me and family you were on own so better odds for me i was aware i gain what you had.

why do i need to let you take from my resources?

so weigh it up , i /my family survive longer the odds were low on me getting injured and gain no real advantages for letting the person take from my survival resources other than morals.

there is more to gain from being like this than not in this scenario. people saying oh wed help i guess it depends on what resources are available and the persons skill at reading the situation. if it were a family then you may think differently but if your resources are low and you have people to feed for eg and the risk is low with no real risk it does become a case of we take his gear we survive.

the whole idea of kos is realistic and people look at it in different ways. as much as some hate it its realistic and provides good game mechanics like fear of death and other things that lessoned would make the game boring.