ace5762 (DayZ)

Morse code?

This might not be as grand as other suggestions, but I did wonder if flashlights were tweaked to work properly (sometimes they don't turn on and off properly when pressing 'L') that Morse code might be a useful form of medium distance communication in the standalone if radios are required for speaking to players from long distances.

Obviously this might be something that players might just adopt in natural course, but it might be neat to nudge them in that direction if Morse code sheets were dropped in as loot items, which players could bring up on their screen with a keybinding. Could be an interesting way of leading players to learn Morse code by playing it, or even the phonetic alphabet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code

• Like 6

Dude this is just a game, I believe not many would learn Morses code. Damn man..

Some folks would be encouraged to learn it. Probably not many, but some. And lots of folks already know morse-code, so it'd be useful anyway.

All it takes is a properly reactive control over switching lights on and off.

I know people who have learned navigation by the sun and stars, purely because of DayZ. I know guys who couldn't read a map properly and learned because of DayZ.

There are folks on the forum who learned to read Cyrillic, just for the sake of it. All because of DayZ.

@Statik

People may use skype/vent or whatever. But they're not necessarily going to be talking to the same group all the time, are they?

3rd party programs are a REALLY poor excuse for not implementing a feature, regardless of what it is. They are, by definition, not a part of the game.

• Like 6

Dude this is just a game, I believe not many would learn Morses code. Damn man..

Fantastic how small minded some people can be. Especially anyone who uses the phrase 'this is just a game' clearly undervalues the potential of the medium here.

First of all, you're not being forced to learn morse code- it would just be there for people to use if they want to. Heck, it's not even a whole lot to add, just one loot item with a image file and a tune up of the flashlight on/off response time. Like Chabowski says, why would it be such a stretch of the imagination to suggest that someone might try learning something in a game to enhance their experience? And if it's actually something they're learning in game using the code sheet, why is that so different from learning anything else about the mechanics of the game, like knowing the best loot spawns or how to interact with other players without getting your head blown off?

And especially something that would add to the world in that way, seeing as flashlights are common in the game and morse code is the primary form of emergency communication?

Edited by ace5762
  • Like 9

I had this idea too and i think its great! The flashlight needs to be blinding a bit at daytime if you point it exactly to another player.

As far as i remember you cant see the Light of it on Day.

Its a little bit more hidden communication. Better than Sidechannel and wider range than direct chat.

And not everybody can get Information out of it.

Why not expand this idea and put some other Sheets in the game with common survival tips?

Also i miss the option to build a Water filter with coal, sand or earth and a Plastic bottle.

You could use third party tools for any game and situation if you want to. Thats not a reason to not implement this feature.

The third party program could only be used for giving a signal. The other person has to read the signal and thats not so easy.

So they need to learn it if they wanna use it.  ;)

Beans sir.  In addition there should be 'key switches' on the ingame radios that would allow us to transmit in morse code.  Be a subtle way of transmitting info without someone channel surfing and picking up on conversations.

• Like 2

Maybe you are able to give your companions a special bit of paper containing the code, not morse code but code in words for other words and for anybody but your friends with your code it shows up in unrecognisable gibberish however the code can be stolen off dead bodies.

Maybe you are able to give your companions a special bit of paper containing the code, not morse code but code in words for other words and for anybody but your friends with your code it shows up in unrecognisable gibberish however the code can be stolen off dead bodies.

You can do that anyway.

Speaking or sending messages in code is a player-centric thing. Not a game mechanic.

Eg. My group's secret code is an indecipherable doric dialect and thick Scottish accent.

English speakers might be able to pick out a word or two, but it's rare.  :lol:

Written in-game notes would be handy, but that's got nothing to do with morse code.

AFAIK we'll be getting that sort of stuff in SA, definitely.

• Like 1

Ciphers for codes would have to be made out of game or without a game mechanic, otherwise someone could simply get lucky and loot the right cipher or a book's worth of Ciphers and just listen for broadcasts all day.

My suggestion with the radio key to transmit Morse means a button to push to make the beeps, not a cipher that would automatically change text or voice into dots and dashes.  While you'd still be vulnerable to 'channel surfers' it would be a bit less dangerous than them stumbling up on, '-oved the base near Polana Factory in the woods.'  If it was in Morse they would have to know Morse, and get a good majority of the message and 'translate' it on the fly, or might even just be mistaken as static and ignored/move on to the next channel.

It's a cool idea, but people are just going to be using 3rd party programs.

Would be great if the game blocked all other internet programs or if it was in the EULA that you shall not use anything else than what the game provides...hardcore  :D  ^_^  ;)

Would be great if the game blocked all other internet programs or if it was in the EULA that you shall not use anything else than what the game provides...hardcore  :D  ^_^  ;)

Couldn't the game block you from hearing anything other than in game sounds somehow? Even if it can though I still have Skype on my iPad and most of my friends have it on their phone.

Couldn't the game block you from hearing anything other than in game sounds somehow? Even if it can though I still have Skype on my iPad and most of my friends have it on their phone.

It's not really technically feasible and there is no point anyway, as you've just proven, people will do pretty much everything they can to gain an unfair advantage to other players.

It's not really technically feasible and there is no point anyway, as you've just proven, people will do pretty much everything they can to gain an unfair advantage to other players.

Yeah this is not RL afterall. You can do pretty much everything in game when it's coded...while i might have problem shooting people IRL beyond 100m with a rifle or even hesitate because "it's not a game" and has consequences others claim that they would turn badass overnight and kill everyone in sight. Those would probably be the ones wetting their pants and crying mommy when they are cornered by a single unarmed person.

Edited by Enforcer

I would hate that. Aside from the fact I don't think that's really possible, I play DayZ to have fun and hang out with friends. It would get awe fully boring if it was like that.

Yeah this is not RL afterall. You can do pretty much everything in game when it's coded...while i might have problem shooting people IRL beyond 100m with a rifle or even hesitate because "it's not a game" and has consequences others claim that they would turn badass overnight and kill everyone in sight. Those would probably be the ones wetting their pants and crying mommy when they are cornered by a single unarmed person.

Is shooting people from that distance hard? I wanna know because I can hit good 60m + shots on a block of wood the size of my head in the paddock out back.

This is with a 4Kg 1000fps .177 air rifle from crouching with iron/ night sights.

It's a single shot per cock gun so I go up and check where I got with each shot so I pretty much have no referencing for adjusting my aim, I just guess an approximate area I should shoot in, to the left because the sights are out and a bit higher since its sub sonic.

Just wanted to know if that's actually a good shot because I have no scope and the block of wood is barely visible yet I can hit a crusty birdshit off it.

Edited by AP_Norris

You can do that anyway.

Speaking or sending messages in code is a player-centric thing. Not a game mechanic.

Eg. My group's secret code is an indecipherable doric dialect and thick Scottish accent.

English speakers might be able to pick out a word or two, but it's rare. :lol:

Written in-game notes would be handy, but that's got nothing to do with morse code.

AFAIK we'll be getting that sort of stuff in SA, definitely.

I suppose if I go on a US server and use my even more superior than normal NZ accent, 'the mighty southland accent' they shouldn't make out a single letter, except Rrrrrr's Edited by AP_Norris

Is shooting people from that distance hard? I wanna know because I can hit good 60m + shots on a block of wood the size of my head in the paddock out back.

This is with a 4Kg 1000fps .177 air rifle from crouching with iron/ night sights.

It's a single shot per cock gun so I go up and check where I got with each shot so I pretty much have no referencing for adjusting my aim, I just guess an approximate area I should shoot in, to the left because the sights are out and a bit higher since its sub sonic.

Just wanted to know if that's actually a good shot because I have no scope and the block of wood is barely visible yet I can hit a crusty birdshit off it.

This is quite OT but let me explain because you didn't catch up the first time. During training all your skill in marksmanship and training goes down the drain if you lose your nerve. Shotting paper targets and live targets are two different things.

Even the loudest and proudest guy in your squad can turn into the pipsqueek hiding in the deepest foxhole he an find when the lead starts flying. Got it now? It's the psychological thing i was referring to.

I suppose if I go on a US server and use my even more superior than normal NZ accent, 'the mighty southland accent' they shouldn't make out a single letter, except Rrrrrr's

I wonder how one would morse that or f.e. cyrillic :lol:

− · · ·  ·  · −  − ·  · · ·

• Like 1

Would that even be legal?

It would be easier to just use an 'always on' mic broadcast rather than push to talk.

I once learnt Braille in order to decode some message in a Pokemon game. I can see myself learning Morse for this as well. Espessially in an RP environment where mabe clans do not trust eash other in game to do a real meet up. 

Would that even be legal?

Maybe if they added it to their EULA...you could practically do everything with it if you don't over do it.

It would be easier to just use an 'always on' mic broadcast rather than push to talk.

Haha....some kid would be playing and then you would hear a female voice: "John baby, bring out the trash!" :lol:  Or "Didn't i say no computer until you cleaned your room?!?!?! *slap*" :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

Edited by Enforcer

I plan on taking Russian next semester because of all the russian video games I play have peaked my interest in the language.  

I would learn some simple morse code because learning something like morse code is difficult and I like the challenge.

I think it would be fun to flash some abuse toward Elecktro in morse code and then run off before being sniped. Which reminds me, use of a torch to find a buddy... haven't done that in ages.