Sign in to follow this  
CR1PPER

Wondering if 25-30 fps is all my computer can get?

Hello,

I have an Amd bulldozer fx-4100 3.6Ghz, Sapphire OC HD7850 2GB and 8GB RAM. (Not sure this is all the details needed)

I get around 25-30 fps in the woods and it drops to around 10-20 in the towns. I was just looking to know is that the max fps i can get from this computer? I have been looking at fixes but if anything my fps has gotten worse. Thanks. 

Edited by CR1PPER
  • Like 1

Seems like your cpu is bottlenecking you a bit, i would reccomend getting an fx6300

Maybe your settings are too high? Try changing them on lower.

The only real difference between your pc and mine is that I have an FX 4130 @ 3.8ghz. I also have an SSD though. Same GPU, differnt brand.

I get the same fps as you with all my video settings maxed out. Lowered like most people are running I get 25-35 in towns and 40-50 everywhere else. 

• Like 1

Yea, I put all the settings to low and still no change in fps. Even followed a few guides to change a few settings in the CFG files but didn't work. I was looking into SSD's too but do you think they don't make much difference?

Thanks Skypill. It's maybe time i thought about upgrading my CPU. I don't know much about this sort of stuff and I am not even sure if the graphics card I have is good enough. 

Edited by CR1PPER

Your graphics card is plenty, and it also overclocks like a beast so you can go down that route if you want.

The CPU is also fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

An SSD will definitely improve the overall experience as every item in the game has a file associated with it. Every shape, colour, detail, etc etc is all in files. So if you do a quick 180 turn, everything that appears in your screen will have to be fetched off your HDD in order for it to appear, which creates a laggy experience. An SSD will improve this drastically.

The most important thing to remember is that this is a mod based on a game that's notoriously optimized. ARMA 3 is already said to run better on the same specs, getting higher FPS than ARMA 2. The standalone is also knocking on our doors and that should be better optimized too. I'd wait for that to hit the shelves before considering upgrading, although and SSD is never a bad buy.

Your system will run any game at high to max settings except ARMA 2 and DayZ. That's because of the game, not your system.

• Like 2

I play with fps of 10-15 routinely with no problems. I agree that it might be your settings are too high. If you're happy with what you see and how you move in game then don't worry about fps. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed reply Diddums. Helps a lot to know all of that! I don't really know anything about overclocking so I never bother with it, but I might just look into it just out of curiosity. I think I might get an SSD anyway just to have and wait for the standalone to come out as you say. 

Yea Sula, It is still playable if i'm looking for loot and just avoiding zombies, but if I am in a city or I need to fire it's just not smooth enough to aim or shoot. So I was looking for a way to gain a few fps to make it better. I'm fairly new to the game and I enjoy it so i'll just play on and wait for the standalone.  :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed reply Diddums. Helps a lot to know all of that! I don't really know anything about overclocking so I never bother with it, but I might just look into it just out of curiosity. I think I might get an SSD anyway just to have and wait for the standalone to come out as you say. 

Yea Sula, It is still playable if i'm looking for loot and just avoiding zombies, but if I am in a city or I need to fire it's just not smooth enough to aim or shoot. So I was looking for a way to gain a few fps to make it better. I'm fairly new to the game and I enjoy it so i'll just play on and wait for the standalone.  :)

Spend like 30 dollars and get a cooler master evo or 212+ and OC your cpu to at least 4.2Ghz and you should be good.

• Like 1

You won't see a difference between fx4100 and fx6300, This game is not properly multithreaded to take advantage more then 2 cores. You want to OC that processor to squeeze the best FPS as possible. This game bottlenecks the CPU the most for some reason and loves singlethreaded IPC. If you really want more fps you should get an i5 and oc it to the max.

Try empty vanilla dayz servers, They should give you solid fps most of the times. Sometimes even i get 20-30 FPS on slow servers with 4770k 4.6ghz.

Edited by monoking
  • Like 1

Good luck with zombie killing, Cr1pper. I hope you can find the right settings that work for you. :)

• Like 1

Id say run Ccleaner, defrag (just clean your comp out) then download Gamebooster3 and run the game through there (closes unnecessary programs and proccesses not needed for gaming.) Also, lower your settings a bit, ESPECIALLY SHADOWS! Shadows can fuck your computers day when it comes to fps so try these things and let me know!

Edited by NagsterTheGangster
  • Like 1

jesus god man, you should be getting more.

i was i7 930 2.8ghz, 6gb ram, gtx 570 hitting 30-50fps

overclocked to 4.2 ghz and now im hitting crazy good fps. 60+ and 100+ on DayZero mod

40-60 on arma 3 servers

you need to optimize your game a bit more, follow guides.

i found the best results were from the CPUcount, exthreds and other launch options.

next think about overclocking, im no expert but bringing 3.6ghz to 4.2 or more should be hard. Depending on your cpu.

water cooling is cheap and easy these days

Edited by deebz1234
  • Like 1

Well folks. I found two Windows hotfixes for AMD Bulldozers that I had never heard of. So I downloaded and installed them then ran Ccleaner and defragged. After playing there i was getting 30 - 45 fps in the woods and 22 - 35 fps in the cities with all my settings on low and everything disabled that can be. The game is a lot more playable and enjoyable now. Every once in a while it will drop down to like 7 fps and go straight back up but i can live with that. I will try gamebooster 3 and see if it helps any more and let you know.

Yea Deebz, I had followed all the guides I could find and am already using all the launch options but none of them seemed to make much of a difference. I researched a little into overclocking but its all a little complicated for me. I'm happy with the fps for now but maybe soon i'll try and overclock it just to learn. 

Thanks everyone for the help! :)

as for the overclocking, simply get yourself a cheap antec khuler 620...then you simply google your CPU/motherboard and overclock 4.2ghz. you will find a guide on how to do it, or a youtube video. then you run prime95 for 24 hours to ensure stability and your done. easy as piss

ex

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714048

dooooo it man!

provided you have a simple water cooler, or beastly adjustable air cooler, or true watercooling system

also you must use RealTemps to monitor your temperatures under load and be sure they are not exeedingly high.

then after that its go time!

Edited by deebz1234
  • Like 1

Something to check out is the view distance on the server you play on, adjusting it manualy dosent work for any arma based multiplayer missions, its controlled by the .init in the mission file.

Also check your windows power options are set to high performance, that's about all I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned.

• Like 1

I have a budget build in my room which has a 4100 and a xfx 7850. It is fine for DayZ. Usually get 45-50 in open and about 30-35 in cities. I don't have it maxed out. I have aa on low. Shadows on normal object quality on very high. Rest are normal. Also I have view distance at 1500. Also remember to set video memory to default. Also disable PPAA and Post Process Effects.

• Like 1

Thanks Karmaterror, I just changed the power options to high performance from balanced and I will look into the view distance. Thanks!

@ocelot20. I changed all the settings around and played with everything but nothing seemed to change it. I never get 45 - 50 anywhere, so I don't know why it's so different for us. I'll try your settings and see if it helps. Cheers!

Yea Deebz, you're right! I'm going to get on the ball now and order myself a decent cooler. This sort of stuff is interesting to me and i'd love to be able to do it, so as soon as I get a cooler its go time!! Thanks for the info, great help!  

good stuff Cr1pper

if you need any help with that feel free to PM.

the antec khuler 620 is older now, so maybe not best idea but its super cheap like $50 nowadays and does the trick very well.

so id say check out the other options for all in 1 water systems or go big and get a proper water block setup (but thats pretty hard to setup and case must be large!)

obviously the cooler must be compatable with ur cpu, so double check that...

your right, OCing was a fun and informative experience for me...all in all took 3-5 days with proper overnight testing...results were 100x what i expected

Edited by deebz1234

Lol i got a quick look around but haven't bought anything yet. Don't think i'll go for a water block set up though. Thanks for all the help Deebz, much appreciated! If i get stuck when I try or have doubts i'll take you up on your offer and send you a PM. Thanks again!