Xianyu

Does anyone even remember what DayZ is?

When I got hold of my first pair of NVGs, I stopped playing the game for a week because I was scared of losing them.

I've never had NVGs. I think I looted them once off a corpse. My buddy had some for driving and I had to navigate the map because I couldn't see other stuff. We had to improvise. Good times. 

Edited by bibbish

I've never had NVGs. I think I looted them once off a corpse. My buddy had some for driving and I had to navigate the map because I could see other stuff. We had to improvise. Good times. 

I always play in a pair. Those first NVGs we got? We lost them. Hard.

The first night, we were crawling through pitch-black darkness to loot Starry Sobor. My friend had the NVGs and the silenced weapons, I had the AS50. He was my guide, I was jogging behind him with a green chemlight.

We ended up coming across three bandits at Starry. All of them had NVGs.

My friend mistakenly thought that one of the bandits he came and sat next to was ME (he even admitted later that it was a STUPID STUPID thing to do considering I was literally blind). And so he got shot in the face and died.

I was on the hill overlooking starry with an AS50, in the pitch black. No NVGs. Nothing.

I was so new at the game that the thought of combat-logging didn't even occur to me. In my mind, I was TRAPPED. I laid there in the darkness for a full three minutes expecting to get shot in the face by one of the bandits. Nothing happened.

So, after I got sick of waiting, I said 'fuck it', and stood up and starting throwing flares. I got to my third throw when someone took me down with a silenced M4.

I will never experience another cold-sweat moment of fear like that. And not just because of the casualisation of the game, either. Because I now know the 'log off' exploit. There will never again be that feeling of being utterly 'trapped'.

So what about people that don't have the time to dedicate to spending days find good gear? Because I have a responsibilities which prevent me from playing hours upon hours a day why should I be punished? I want to play DayZ and enjoy all the experiences it has to offer as well... If I had to spends a week or more to do that I would quickly become bored and simply find something more rewarding to play.

The mentality of a significant portion of the people on here is so fucked I'm not surprised these forums are highly ignored, even shunned.

While others have said it a bit harsher they are speaking the truth. Not all games are meant for all people. If Vanilla DayZ is not rewarding enough that you would have to find something else to play, then find something else to play. One of my friends LOVES Kerbal Space Program but the other one played the demo and sees that it is not his sort of game. Because of that he does not play that game. He doesn't ask for someone to come in and mod the game so that he can do a perfect moon shot without planning. The difficulty of the game is the point of that game and the gathering of items, dying and losing everything, and then starting all over with nothing is a big part of DayZ. It is actually what defines DayZ and the experience around DayZ. 

• Like 1

I always play in a pair. Those first NVGs we got? We lost them. Hard.

The first night, we were crawling through pitch-black darkness to loot Starry Sobor. My friend had the NVGs and the silenced weapons, I had the AS50. He was my guide, I was jogging behind him with a green chemlight.

We ended up coming across three bandits at Starry. All of them had NVGs.

My friend mistakenly thought that one of the bandits he came and sat next to was ME (he even admitted later that it was a STUPID STUPID thing to do considering I was literally blind). And so he got shot in the face and died.

I was on the hill overlooking starry with an AS50, in the pitch black. No NVGs. Nothing.

I was so new at the game that the thought of combat-logging didn't even occur to me. In my mind, I was TRAPPED. I laid there in the darkness for a full three minutes expecting to get shot in the face by one of the bandits. Nothing happened.

So, after I got sick of waiting, I said 'fuck it', and stood up and starting throwing flares. I got to my third throw when someone took me down with a silenced M4.

I will never experience another cold-sweat moment of fear like that. And not just because of the casualisation of the game, either. Because I now know the 'log off' exploit. There will never again be that feeling of being utterly 'trapped'.

Love experiences like that. Yeah I usually play in a pair too. Wanting to protect your buddy is real tense. 

Love experiences like that. Yeah I usually play in a pair too. Wanting to protect your buddy is real tense. 

One of my friends actually quit playing after an encounter with combat-loggers at the barracks :lol:

He literally could not handle the tension of the situation. He just stopped playing because it was too tense.

Edited by Xianyu

A majority of you are the reason why DayZ will never see a great amount of success. You're mostly too elitist and only want this game to be how you want it. I never once said that you opinions were wrong, nor did I say anything about the style of play you prefer. You're jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. I don't play on PvP servers, I don't enjoy spawning with a DMR and a M9SD, I also don't enjoy running around forever, it gets old fast so I play on server with extra vehicles. I also hate many of the extra "features" almost all server have. DayZ is not a hard game, it is not hard to get gear, it is not hard to "survive," I only experience tense moments while I'm playing against other players, the zombies are just there to let me know there's players around. There isn't much to do in DayZ, don't get me wrong, it's fun, but there isn't much to do. If you think a lot of people are against PvP server or "casual" server then why are many of the top, usually full servers, a PvP or casual playstyle? Do you really think many of those players would continue playing DayZ if those server weren't there? The overall population would be dramatically lower if these server weren't there.

Oh shit, I never said anything about how you guys are wrong and I'm right.

A majority of you are the reason why DayZ will never see a great amount of success. You're mostly too elitist and only want this game to be how you want it. I never once said that you opinions were wrong, nor did I say anything about the style of play you prefer. You're jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. I don't play on PvP servers, I don't enjoy spawning with a DMR and a M9SD, I also don't enjoy running around forever, it gets old fast so I play on server with extra vehicles. I also hate many of the extra "features" almost all server have. DayZ is not a hard game, it is not hard to get gear, it is not hard to "survive," I only experience tense moments while I'm playing against other players, the zombies are just there to let me know there's players around. There isn't much to do in DayZ, don't get me wrong, it's fun, but there isn't much to do. If you think a lot of people are against PvP server or "casual" server then why are many of the top, usually full servers, a PvP or casual playstyle? Do you really think many of those players would continue playing DayZ if those server weren't there? The overall population would be dramatically lower if these server weren't there.

I'm not talking about the majority. I'm talking about the core demographic.

There are literally hundreds of games that cater to casual gamers. From CoD, to BF, to MoH, to any of the MMOFPSs out there. Nearly all shooter games pander to the casual gamers.

And then one game comes along to try and pander to the hardcore gaming minority. And now it is watered-down casual garbage.

Sure, it won't see 'super huge epic success' catering to the hardcore gamers, but jesus christ. How many games ALREADY cater to them?

Yeah, actually you did. You see stating that we are the reason DayZ will never amount to anything is an indirect way to say we are wrong. The great thing is, we are not wrong. Games can succeed without having to give instant gratification. 

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/when-difficult-is-fun

I do feel bad for anyone who did not get to truly experience DayZ when it first came out and I can see why many people lament the loss of that experience. But for experienced players there is no going back. I am not saying that vanilla DayZ is terrible, I am just pointing out why many people are drawn to the casual servers, if it were not for all of those casual servers most people would not play DayZ anymore. People will blame the influx of CoD kiddies or whatever the catch phrase of the day happens to be but the real culprit is boredom and lack of new features. Vanilla DayZ gets tedious after awhile and all of that tension is replaced by boredom. I never found it that hard to gear up in DayZ, I got to the point that I found tents useless since a basic kit was always easy to find (add on the amount of duping and hacking back in the day and it was downright easy mode already).

Without all of the casual servers everyone would be complaining about the lack of players or the lack of end game features. I have been saying for months both crowds will probably find something to be angry about in the Standalone, one side will complain that it is too hard while the other will call the new features gimmicky or casual. If they strike the right balance they can put out a game that is appealing to a large population that also stays true to the survival core of the game.

I will admit I miss the real tension the game provided in the first couple of months, it was always a trip to fear for your characters life in a way few games can recreate.

Edit: Dat grammar

Edited by Zombie Jesus

I do feel bad for anyone who did not get to truly experience DayZ when it first came out and I can see why many people lament the loss of that experience. But for experienced players there is no going back. I am not saying that vanilla DayZ is terrible, I am just pointing out why many people are drawn to the casual servers, if it were not for all of those casual servers most people would not play DayZ anymore. People will blame the influx of CoD kiddies or whatever the catch phrase of the day happens to be but the real culprit is boredom and lack of new features. Vanilla DayZ gets tedious after awhile and all of that tension is replaced by boredom. I never found it that hard to gear up in DayZ, I got to the point that I found tents useless since a basic kit was always easy to find (add on the amount of duping and hacking back in the day and it was downright easy mode already).

Without all of the casual servers everyone would be complaining about the lack of players or the lack of end game features. I have been saying for months both crowds will probably find something to be angry about in the Standalone, one side will complain that it is too hard while the other will call the new features gimmicky or casual. If they strike the right balance they can put out a game that is appealing to a large population that also stays true to the survival core of the game.

I will admit I miss the real tension the game provided in the first couple of months, it was always a trip to fear for your characters life in a way few games can recreate.

Edit: Dat grammar

I disagree and would actually argue the reverse - people are bored of DayZ because of the easy servers.

Every newbie has now had a heli and night-vision goggles, range finders and a .50cal.

There's no drive to keep playing when you've been spoon fed what people used to work their arses off for.

• Like 4

I have only been playing dayz about two months.  I have only been playing on basically vanilla servers, or servers running mods that are a challenge (starting with 2 bandages and flares etc).  I've been doing fine and having a blast.

• Like 1

I disagree and would actually argue the reverse - people are bored of DayZ because of the easy servers.

Every newbie has now had a heli and night-vision goggles, range finders and a .50cal.

There's no drive to keep playing when you've been spoon fed what people used to work their arses off for.

Can only speak from personal experience but I got bored with Vanilla DayZ for the same reason I get bored with every game, things stagnate. Mods and server adjustments kept the game alive (for myself and I suspect many other players) while the developers worked on the standalone and the idea of community development with R4ZOR (sp?) was still just an idea being floated. Had they got on community development on a larger scale earlier I could have seen the vanilla mod staying fresh for longer (6-8 months is a pretty long time for any game so I enjoyed it for quite some time) but in the interim many of the mods added content people were looking for.

I can agree that many of the mods of the mod (dawg) were not great, but that is the nature of modding in the first place. You sift through a pile of crap to find the ones that work. For every 1000 plus spawn with sniper rifle YOLO Swag server you can find ones that make subtle adjustments that add to the game. I always found the NEAF useless, many servers adjusted to make the NEAF a decent point of interest by adding a couple of barracks. I do not think that ruined the game, it just broke the monotony of the NWAF being the only place to go for high end military loot.

Can only speak from personal experience but I got bored with Vanilla DayZ for the same reason I get bored with every game, things stagnate. Mods and server adjustments kept the game alive (for myself and I suspect many other players) while the developers worked on the standalone and the idea of community development with R4ZOR (sp?) was still just an idea being floated. Had they got on community development on a larger scale earlier I could have seen the vanilla mod staying fresh for longer (6-8 months is a pretty long time for any game so I enjoyed it for quite some time) but in the interim many of the mods added content people were looking for.

I can agree that many of the mods of the mod (dawg) were not great, but that is the nature of modding in the first place. You sift through a pile of crap to find the ones that work. For every 1000 plus spawn with sniper rifle YOLO Swag server you can find ones that make subtle adjustments that add to the game. I always found the NEAF useless, many servers adjusted to make the NEAF a decent point of interest by adding a couple of barracks. I do not think that ruined the game, it just broke the monotony of the NWAF being the only place to go for high end military loot.

Yeah, a lot of the earlier adopters of the mod have gotten tired with DayZ purely through repetition, and that's completely normal. My point was that the 'casual' servers caused the vast majority of new players to reach the same stage much more quickly because they experienced everything that the mod has to offer within a few hours, while the rest of us probably didn't repair our first helis or find our first set of night-vision goggles until we'd racked up hours of gameplay and figured out how everything worked.

Personally, the modceptions (save for a select few, namely DayZ 2017, DayZ+ and it's predecessor which I've forgotten the name of, which were very subtle and just cranked up the difficulty slighty) did nothing for me. I played Lingor a couple of times when it very first came out because it was new and exciting to have DayZ on a new map, but that wore off quickly and I found myself back on vanilla DayZ Chernarus where I still am today.

While I don't enjoy them myself I can appreciate why people play(ed) Origins and the likes because they added a few new features which of course helps you squeeze a few more hours out of something which has otherwise begun to grow repetitive, but those mods aren't what I was talking about, nor are they what you were talking about in the post that I replied to or what the OP was talking about. We were talking about the 'casual' servers and the effect that they have had on the state of DayZ.

As for Krastinov airstrip; I think it's fine as stock, what I do think is a problem is that currently the furthest north-east spawn is Solnichniy and it isn't all that common. If there were more spawn points closer to Berezino it would be used similarly to Balota as a 'my first military weapon' hotspot.

Sorry if this is full of mistakes, I'm incredibly tired and I went back and edited bits and pieces after I wrote it and probably messed it all up. xD

Goodnight!

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 1

Sorry guys, but I just don't buy that starting with a gun and being able to find a working car with fuel somehow ruins the experience or makes the game easier. From my experience so far, last thing you want to do is hop into a vehicle and start driving on a busy server spawning vehicles left right and centre, your lucky to last 10 minutes before your car is shot to shreds, and then you when you have to get out. As for starting with a gun and a bit of grub and a can of juice in your inventory? It gives people the chance to enjoy the experience for a short while before they have to start taking risks by re-stocking their food and drinks if they are careful. Most of us have food in our cupboards and drinks in our fridges, & I am pretty sure we would carry them with us when we were forced to leave home due to a global epidemic of zombies.

Being Scottish, I wouldn't have a gun. Not allowed on these shores. I do have a hammer though and plenty of big knives in my kitchen drawer, so realistically for me, starting with food, cola & a weapon is more 'realistic' than starting with a flare. I realise that playing the mod just after release would have been the ultimate buzz, but things change. Calling people 'call of duty whores' cos they join a server that doesn't involve running around unarmed & not being able to use their fists or feet as a weapon of self defence is a tad unfair. I hope you don't mind me saying.

Taking big risks for the most minimal of rewards IS the experience.

That's precisely what folks have overlooked of late.

Whatever it is these spawngear-servers have turned into, it's certainly not DayZ.

I really do hope the Standalone shall bring the the experience that vanilla DayZ did.

I really do hope the Standalone shall bring the the experience that vanilla DayZ did.

I honestly feel that it can't, at this point. maybe if it was released back when Rocket said it would be. At the end of last year.

But now? The community is at least 80% 'cheap thrills' players who will only play the standalone just to deathmatch. Maybe they'll all be strangled by the difficulty, but by that point, it'll be too late, and the standalone will be a deathmatch-fest just like the current iteration of DayZ.

These people got the mod to deathmatch, and they'll get the standalone to deathmatch, too.

And part of what made vanilla DayZ so tense and spine-tingling was that when you met another survivor, you didn't know what he was going to do.

Nowadays, you already know. He's going to shoot you. Even if he's on 1000 blood, has a makarov, and you have an M4, offering to blood bag him, he will still shoot you.

Sorry guys, but I just don't buy that starting with a gun and being able to find a working car with fuel somehow ruins the experience or makes the game easier. From my experience so far, last thing you want to do is hop into a vehicle and start driving on a busy server spawning vehicles left right and centre, your lucky to last 10 minutes before your car is shot to shreds,

But why does it matter even if that does happen? You'll just respawn with the same gear and near another fully repaired vehicle.

mZLY is absolutely right imo. Modded, casual servers have only added to the problem when it comes to boredom in DayZ. Most people will agree there is not enough to do in this game. Give everyone a starting weapon, make vehicles easily available and there is very little to do aside from going around shooting people. Sadly this is what DayZ experience is about for most new players.

Taking big risks for the most minimal of rewards IS the experience.

That's precisely what folks have overlooked of late.

Whatever it is these spawngear-servers have turned into, it's certainly not DayZ.

Neither is it call of duty. I play lone wolf, and find whether I start with a gun on a permanent daytime server or sneak around in the dark with a torch and hang around burning cars seeing the night through on a 'proper' server, its 100% intense either way. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I suppose.

But why does it matter even if that does happen? You'll just respawn with the same gear and near another fully repaired vehicle.

mZLY is absolutely right imo. Modded, casual servers have only added to the problem when it comes to boredom in DayZ. Most people will agree there is not enough to do in this game. Give everyone a starting weapon, make vehicles easily available and there is very little to do aside from going around shooting people. Sadly this is what DayZ experience is about for most new players.

Depends on how you play the game IMO. Just because I can start with food, drink and a gun doesn't mean I will joyride around when I find a vehicle shooting on sight. I get a buzz out of surviving, & looting the bodies of the fallen. Driving vehicles on a 'casual' server is risky business. Put it this way, I played on a night server with no pvp allowed just the other day, and there was a guy on sidechat squealing that he had been pvp'd against sever rules. Shoot on sight players are everywhere.

When was DayZ not about shooting other people?  I've been playing for about a year and have just gone back to vanilla servers.  As far as I'm concerned, the "DayZ experience" has always included getting randomly sniped or killed by a gang of bandits.  If you're lucky, maybe you meet someone who doesn't instantly kill you for your supplies or weapon.  And I still do meet people willing to trade or at least not just shoot it out.

I think maybe more people know what they are doing now.  So maybe you have fewer bambis running around with no gear and no idea where they are or where to go.

When was DayZ not about shooting other people? 

It always has been and always will be but not at this scale. There will always be that one dude who will kill people just for the hell of it but now, there's nothing really to gain from not killing people. Every decision you make just ends with kos because there is lack of motivation to communicate with other players. The reason the mod is it is now is because it doesn't really encourage people to choose an alternative route that doesn't involve killing, this maybe because of the lack of options. Clearly the SA is trying to solve this issue with all those new additions in the dev blogs, we just have to wait and see.

But don't worry. You've got 400 vehicles, 20 helicopters, 24/7 daylight, and donation weapons to keep you happy with the CoD-servers.

The standalone cannot come soon enough.

Nonono, that map is wayy too large to be a cod server, more like just wasteland or Battlefield server.

And standalone should come soon enough.

• Like 1