rocket

Hotfix Build 1.7.1.5 Rolling Update

How do you guys feel about this' date=' for the next hotfix:

"Infected hear perfectly through objects (noise reduced by 50% through an object)"

So a line-of-sight check is done before agro'ing audibility - and if cut by terrain/object the power of the sound is reduced by 50%

[/quote']

So if I am understanding this correctly. They would basically hear you then would have to visibly check the noise by looking before aggroing us. As opposed to hearing us through walls and buildings then just magically running straight to us? If this is correct, then hell yes. I've been thinking the sound is still a bit harsh at this point. I keep getting aggro'd from god knows where with just my sound maybe being a tad too loud.

I was thinking maybe go back to prone crawling not making the noise anymore so that we could possibly get close to off a zombie with our new found melee stuff all ninja like (from behind of course). Also reducing the chance to be heard when trying to sneak a little bit. The visibility of prone is fine with it being 1 marker.. means we can't just prone past it all, and we actually have to watch where the dead heads are looking. The visibility check is a great idea but I think the sound should still be muffled for prone.. at least on softer surfaces.

Thanks for being so good with this community by the way. It is nice to actually have our input taken into how we want to play the game as you code it. More companies need to take this practice into account. We know what is fun, so why not listen right?

go outside... get your body down to the ground... crouching makes less sound then crawling. two feet on the ground makes less sound then your whole body. prone=less visibility more sound / crouching=less sound more vis. it makes no sense that you would make less sound when crawling through a field.

Well to be honest that actually depends on the surface you are crawling on and speed in which you crawl. This being a video game and us all trying to help find a balance it makes perfect sense (within a video game). Plus if I am not mistaken in the game, the sound is still intensified by crouching over prone anyway. So even by your understanding it still needs to be tweaked, yes? The visibility check may end up doing the trick with all the visual/sound aggro woes. We will see shortly I am sure.

That was just an idea of how it works irl. Sure the surface is what it comes to in the end but its a game... well... sort of. for me it makes sense that you "dont see" but hear someone crawling. we are survivors and not navy seals!

how about when they hear you trough an object they only go investigate the area? not sprint towards you and chase.

Thoughts on this? I can easily do this.

HOWEVER. There may be a small performance impact from it.

EDIT: Actually' date=' it would keep spamming your position. Would have a major performance impact. I could probably write something on this later. But for now, might not be possible.

[/quote']

If only one Zombie (the nearest) would go investigate... would that help to avoid major performance impact?

Picked up a dbl barrel shotgun which disappeared with an error that I didnt have the asset.

did you update all three files?

I used the six updater without thinking, will update by hand

Some people say way too much food' date=' some people say way to little....

[/quote']

Well, I was playing in Cherno today and there was way too much food. And then yesterday, on the countryside, I was slaughtering some zombies in a barn and after that I looted their bodies. Pretty much third of the zombies (about 15 of them that I killed) had a can of food in their corpse, one had a Pepsi can. Today (before I was shot in Cherno) I had my inventory full of food and drinks, same with my Czech backpack (couldn't find any weapons so I just hoarded a lot of food along me, lol).

EDIT: And I was playing on a Veteran server, EU12, if that matters.

"Infected hear perfectly through objects (noise reduced by 50% through an object)"

So a line-of-sight check is done before agro'ing audibility - and if cut by terrain/object the power of the sound is reduced by 50%

[/quote']

Yes but please without crazy performance hit.

[/quote']

I would say too much. In the patch where food stopped spawning altogether, searching for food became a priority and it made hunger a real problem. With the food drops back to normal food and water are no longer an issue and the hunger dynamic does not add a lot to the game.

I've also yet to have cold be a problem despite spending a lot of time travelling at night during heavy rain. This might be due to it being summer and cold will be more of an issue in winter. I don't know if the weather model takes the season into consideration.

An additional possible idea for the heat dynamic is that it could be used to model overheating. For example a player permanently wearing a ghille suit whilst running around might find their body temperature rising to dangerous levels. A simple way to implement this would be to have thirst (dehydration) increase more rapidly when the body temperature is higher.

[/quote']

Just thought I'd throw in my 0.02. At the moment I'm finding food to be okay, not too hard to find myself starving but enough to keep me going. I tend to move towards feeding off animals in general but like to have cans as well, and my hunts so far have thrown up sufficient food and drink in 1.7.1.5.

I also wanted to throw an idea to you: Some kind of sound when a player joins a server. It'll make ghosting and/or spawning in public areas more risky.

That aside I'm generally happy with this version (after refusing to budge from 1.7.0 for a while, heh). I haven't found anything to complain about, and for somebody like me who scrutinizes little details thoroughly you can take that as a big compliment! I'm looking forward to further releases and improvements.

Keep it up, rocket, and don't let the angry ones get you down :P

[/quote']

I think tinned needs to be more scarce. Tinned food should be fought over by fresh survivors. Anybody who's got a few hours under their belt or longer for their current character should be feeding off animals using tinned only in emergencies

[/quote']

I'd also like to have the zombie's ability to hear you reduced in the rain/wind/a thunderstorm. :D (maybe it already works that way)

how about when they hear you trough an object they only go investigate the area? not sprint towards you and chase.

Not sure that it needs the line of sight ray-cast spamming. Could it not work so that *any* time a zed hears you but can't see you he goes into "investigate that area" mode. The only when he makes visible contact he goes into a sprint.

in the previous version Zed´s walk trough closed doors... in 1.7.1.5 i recognized they can open doors.

Personaly i think Zombies should not can open doors @ all... player can baricade in buildings or hide to cure yourselve.

Can we FIX it?

HOWEVER. There may be a small performance impact from it.

EDIT: Actually' date=' it would keep spamming your position. Would have a major performance impact. I could probably write something on this later. But for now, might not be possible.

[/quote']

I know nothing of yer line of work buuut:

If investigate have impact, what about it simply changes the zeds curret destination to that of the sounds origination and then back if no target found?

(did that even make sense?)

[/quote']

I'm happy eating meat for 2 reasons :-1. tops up blood and 2.animals don't have zeds around them!

Re. tin food balance - have more near spawn points, less the further away from spawn points.

Does the same apply with drink? Better to refil from ponds (or can that make you sick?... sorry that;s another subject).

I was in a shed and the zombies attacking me kept closing the doors, so I couldn't shoot them properly but they were killing me fast.

Okay, played ))

Taking any tool = drop primary ammo and secondary

Taking secondary weapon = drop ammo for primary

taking primary - dunno yet, could not find

Zombies can go through walls in small buildings and attack well

Sheep have been seen in a mountain...but only her ass was.....head was in ground ^^

Zombies react very well for thrown objects, that's really awesome.

Female skin can't be changed in to a ghille one((( dat's sad....

I would agree with the people saying that there is too much food and drinks around. With the current amount the only real factor with hunger and thirst is that you can be heard when eating or drinking.

I'm also unsure about the decision to take away world chat, on one hand it gives a better "lonely" feeling but on the other hand it takes away alot of the teamplay with more of a shoot first and ask later style plus you have no idea who you just shot. I guess it's a matter of preference, without the chat it makes the game darker and less multiplayer-ish. I like both styles and am still on the fences on that one.

Also had the weapon-bug lately where a DMR became a double barrelled shotgun in the backpack and an AK47 in hand became an Enfield. The weapon bug was in 1.7.1.4 though, not sure if it's been fixed?

Thanks for a superb mod and loads of hotixes! <3

[/quote']

Don't see how food is an issue. I found plenty of food in buildings and I have the tools to hunt. With hunting I'm way set on food. Drinks are everywhere.

I'm going to assume it was because of hive dropping connection with the server I was playing on but yesterday:

I lost a coyote backpack shortly after putting it in a tent in the morning.

After a lot of effort I was able to take down the tents covering my tent with an ACU pack with an M249 in it, an M1911, most accessories, and food/water/medical supplies only to find it had absolutely nothing. Our other tents having alice packs in them that someone would have taken had they stumbled across the camp. Granted I did put the stuff in this tent two days ago.

After the tent wipe we set up new tents, and 2 of the 6 tents completely wiped on server restart. The tents were there, just had no items in them.

At night I lost an M107 shortly after putting it in a tent as well. One of my friend's backpacks also froze up. He could move things in and out of it but all I could see was what he used to have. When relogging it went to what he used to have and all the items he had removed from it got duped.

Is Hive unable to handle everything?

"Infected bodies will despawn after 5 minutes of their death "

it means my char or a Zombie ?

It means just the zombies. Unless you are infected. o.O

The Zombie Rules says : If u Bite from a Zombie u are infected *g*

But ok :)

I'm also unsure about the decision to take away world chat' date=' on one hand it gives a better "lonely" feeling but on the other hand it takes away alot of the teamplay with more of a shoot first and ask later style plus you have no idea who you just shot. I guess it's a matter of preference, without the chat it makes the game darker and less multiplayer-ish. I like both styles and am still on the fences on that one.[/quote']

I would suggest having radio's spawn as a tool, when you have a radio you can use global chat by typing or talking.. Simple as that imo..

Just a quick request for 1.7.1.6

When waking up from a collapse I seem to fire a invisible 'rocket' launcher before I can do anything.

Maybe some quick advertising of the dayz creator? :p

Sorry if this is in the wrong place im on my phone so its hard to navigate around the forums

I'm very tech savy so don't no if this is specifically a dayz or arms 2 bug

Meanwhile' date=' small point, despawning of dead animals, its a bit fast at the moment. There is no time to gut it and take the meat if you are not right next to it when you shot it.

[/quote']

Shit, you're right I just checked.

Also, can you confirm the animals actually move around? I.e. specifically the animal in the incident you are describing. And how fast did it move (should it move faster)

Animals look like they are trying to move, but they are only moving like 0.01 meters a second. Only animal I have seen move fast is the rabbit.

Something is definitely going on with food and drink. I tried, maybe 4 different servers yesterday, visited a few barns, deer stands, a grocery store and several houses and I just found 1 can of sardines, got another one from a zombie and that's it, drink were more common, I would say the ratio is 6-7 (cans of drink) to 1 (can of food). All this in 3-4 hours.