shadowboxer (DayZ)

Your Opinion on Dayz Standalone Progress So Far (Gamescom)

Title Says it all, judging from the latest gameplay footage (Gamescom) talk about your own personal opinion on where you think the development is headed (positive/negative). Talk about things were showcased in the latest build (weapons, attachments, medkits, weather, injury's). And lastly what you what you think should be prioritized above all else so it is in a working state for when the pre-alpha is released (weapons,geometry,animations,art,audio,AI(Zeds), FPS. Also i know there is a "Dayz Standalone Discussion" Thread, that is 50 somthing pages long but this post is more so focused on gamescom build, and what people think of it's current state.

Personally, i think, since E3 (very mediocre) it's gone leaps and bounds ahead of its old build, as at that time the game looked really "clunky" somthing all arma 2 and dayz players are accustomed to (Picking weapons up, proning to running, standing up, weapon changing ect) it also looked like the fps had being optimized immensely since the last devblog, which imo is the most important aspect that should be concentrated on, as in dayz mod, fps can being a real pain, even for people with good rigs.

Gamescom Info Thread:  http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/145937-gamescom-august-2013/

Edited by shadowboxer

Well.

DayZ standalone, though having progressed slowly so far, seems to be getting where Rocket wants it to. My worries aren't around graphics, items, HUD, field of view or anything like that, but more so existing issues. For example, we are still yet to see any ideas directly intended to combatting a kill on sight mentality, and that's what disheartens me the most.

There is no doubt that the standalone will be significantly better than the current game, but existing issues may turn it into a repeat of the bloodbath of inhumanity that is DayZ mod. Though intentionally a psychological thriller/post apocalyptic game, DayZ, for some, seems to have taken a turn for a first-person shooter with added zombies.

I sincerely hope there are no "22nd ground forces - Spawn with AS50, Ghillie suit, M9 SD Swag Yolo if you don't like us kill yourself" type servers in the standalone. All I can say is that existing issues may ruin a yet to be created game, if not countered properly.

The mod is still tons of fun so I dont mind when it comes out and I am with superman IF there is servers where you can spawn with mounten due and a dmr,or worse let you pay for better loadouts then that will be messed up.

I dont mind if they add more starter loadouts like maybe one where you start with matches and a axe but not meds or food.

That sort of thing would be ok

I think a couple of things will help deter the KOS mentality.  At least more than where it is today where it's basically Call of Duty on a big map with drunken hobos:

-Shooting people damages the stuff they're carrying

-More civilian clothes.  Being a mod of ArmA 2, I think the mod does create a bit of a "scavenging for old Soviet Spetsnaz weaponry" mentality. 

-More enterable buildings.  Maybe there will be less KOS if you can't just camp the supermarket / firehouse / ATC tower waiting to ambush some noob looking for an AK.

Overall, I think it's coming together.  I'd still like to see more of the zombies though.  Ultimately I think it's going to come down to are you trying to survive against hundreds of zombies or against other players with a few random zombies here and there.

lol like the vid,

um we have turned off the zombies and turned up the loot spawns for this convention so that the game looks totally different then my vision of the game as displayed in the latest jump the shark mod release. lol

• Like 1

lol like the vid,

um we have turned off the zombies and turned up the loot spawns for this convention so that the game looks totally different then my vision of the game as displayed in the latest jump the shark mod release. lol

Watching a player at a convention looking for loot for 3 hours and then being shat on by a zed every 5 mins because he's never played before doesn't make make for a great demonstration of new content.  Just sayin.

• Like 1

For example, we are still yet to see any ideas directly intended to combatting a kill on sight mentality, and that's what disheartens me the most.

He doesn't want to force a particular playstyle.  

He does however feel that having FAR more content in the game as well as scarce ammo etc and more survival elements could go some way towards reducing it slightly.

Well.

DayZ standalone, though having progressed slowly so far, seems to be getting where Rocket wants it to. My worries aren't around graphics, items, HUD, field of view or anything like that, but more so existing issues. For example, we are still yet to see any ideas directly intended to combatting a kill on sight mentality, and that's what disheartens me the most.

There is no doubt that the standalone will be significantly better than the current game, but existing issues may turn it into a repeat of the bloodbath of inhumanity that is DayZ mod. Though intentionally a psychological thriller/post apocalyptic game, DayZ, for some, seems to have taken a turn for a first-person shooter with added zombies.

I sincerely hope there are no "22nd ground forces - Spawn with AS50, Ghillie suit, M9 SD Swag Yolo if you don't like us kill yourself" type servers in the standalone. All I can say is that existing issues may ruin a yet to be created game, if not countered properly.

I agree. The general reason that players kill others is to scavenge items for easier convenience to retrieve them instead of finding them.

This is my guess on why Rocket has proposed that when you shoot at someone who has the equipment, it damages it (Clothing, items inside clothes, etc) so it kinda defeats the purpose of banditry unless you just simply want to commit murder. I'm really glad they gone through that route of immersion into that depth so it changes the playing field on survival instead of pointing and shooting.

Thoughts on Gamescom

• Rocket has addressed issues and took that upon our attention for us to review before he sells a product; great information :)
  • Standalone's progress has been looking good into working on such small details for a small development team.
  • Really enjoyed how dynamic the environment is and how it affects us more along with the inventory system.
  • Rocket seems more confident at Gamescom about the alpha which is a great sign of how the progress is in the future.

Conclusion: The game should take it's course and work onto the moderate-to-important details then work on the small things and classify it as tech bugs to fix up later on since it's using the Minecraft model which represents the information very clearly(As an Alpha)

First thoughts, the map looks awsome. Much better than the arma version. Great work.

Gameplay looks not so laggy like the last build.

I'm pretty happy with what I've seen. The game looks like its coming together, and I imagine that the release is sooner than all these pessimist fuck offs say(sorry guys, you just ruin my day). The graphics look almost as good as ArmA 3, better than TKOH. Texture quality is, frankly, amazing and a pretty major jump from ArmA 2 which suffered from reusing old models from ArmA 1. The M4 is coming along great, and they've taken the customization to a level that surpasses that of ArmA 3. The map, buildings, grass, wrecks, and road textures are pretty as can be.  In my opinion, this is a huge jump from E3. The devs must be sitting in Prauge, waiting above the red button and the A-OKAY from Marek to release this bitch. C'MON YOU CZECH BASTARDS, HAVE A HEART!

Everything looks good except the text messages. Though with him talking about them in a pre-alpha context, I hope they will be toned down/changed for release

As it stands the text is more immersion breaking than the old hud as it takes up more of the screen.

Also when you have a full server and side chat is blowing up won't you miss some of these text prompts?

The progress so far is beautiful. Things are starting to look more fluid, the amosphere more and more in tune with a rotting land, such as the grass growing on the road, destroyed buildings, etc. Heck, the amosphere itself with storm clouds was shown on dean's twitter!

My only issues as of the moment is just the font of the text being used and that the zombies still need work, however I understand that Dean has stated that the zeds are going to be redone and that most importantly this is still pre-alpha. These things as such will be worked on over time :)

If I am Brutally Honest, I don't care.

I am holding out for the release when I can get my Grubby little mitts on it myself.  I don't want to bore myself by watching every Video and review or it will spoil the game for me on release.  How many of you felt the range of emotions when you first played DayZ?

One of the best things about the SA is the new map, Which is not even finished yet.  I want it to feel new and not familiar because of all the footage. I want to wander, experience and feel like It did when I first played the Mod for the first time (And with all the new changes it bloody will)

All the new features and additional material will make this feel like a new game where I can lock myself away and play for hours.

Please Rocket, release it soon.

As it stands the text is more immersion breaking than the old hud as it takes up more of the screen.

Also when you have a full server and side chat is blowing up won't you miss some of these text prompts?

As far as I know, sidechat will be removed and radios will be added instead.

• Like 1

As far as I know, sidechat will be removed and radios will be added instead.

Yes heard that also. What about the ones without a Mic?

The progress so far looks good but I have to agree with another thread...is the game in danger of becoming overly complicated?

This has positive and negative repercussions:

The more complicated the less likely the casual crowd will stick with it. Said crowd includes the KOSers, the ones who NEED a pickup as running 1.2k is just too much for them etc...

But that crowd also includes the decent folk who have kids, jobs and so on. If it takes several months to get your head round all the medical and crafting possibilities you are going to have to be very dedicated to the game as not being can mean you are at a disadvantage to others with more time on their hands to pickup new systems and techniques (and no doubt exploits).

With the mod there's a lot to learn but it's mostly what not to due to glitches (deleting items in your gear by accident...things like that).

The magazine loading of individual bullets - are we expected to do all that in a tense firefight?

in short words: i think it looked amazing.

pretty sure the text is placeholder...considering tehy're talking about puking noises to indicate you're ill 'n' stuff